Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

joined Feb 11, 2022

But I find myself not caring about it cause it was written in such a messy way that it just does not interest me. It's my opinion.

Its monthly release doesn't help, that's for sure. The experience improves by reading all the chapters in a row, at least in my opinion. This Arc is almost 20 chapters long so far, after all.

I think most people voicing their dissatisfaction about this manga (me included) have issue precisely with the fact that they made this conflict so central :P I would be completely fine with wrapping it up after like 15-20 chapters with a simple ending, but the manga suffers from its own success. Someone even brought out a Goku comparison earlier, which is very apt, because this conflict does feel like it goes on for like 20 chapters. At this point I feel like no matter how they resolve it, it's probably going to be disappointing.

That's a valid criticism. It probably wasn't the best decision to make an Arc longer than the rest of the series combined...

Such heresy. Couple life romance stories are the best yuri, unless you don't like yuri stories about actual relationships. Which is fine. Personal preferences and all that.

I like stories to have a balance. And for the record, Himari and Yori started to date more than 20 chapters ago. And since then there have been quite a few of those "couple life" moments you mention.

last edited at Jan 24, 2023 9:31PM

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

I put off reading this one for a long time, which was a seemingly smart decision. I actually really enjoy Aki and Shiho, but it's been how many chapters and we're still doing this battle of the bands thing, sheesh

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

YuriQueen01 posted:

I really love the cameos of the characters from the author's previous works! Also, super excited for the anime! So happy that Yuri/Shoujo Ai is getting more recognition!

Hahahha I thought those background characters were unusually well designed.

This is one of the best chapters, oh my God communication is sooooooooooooo sexy

Dang, I can't figure which ones are cameos.

joined Aug 21, 2017

holy hell

joined Apr 6, 2013

Wow, just going to go right out and say it huh, Shiho.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

They're going to have to find something else to put at stake in their band duel now.

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

Well, at least I can get on board with Shiho's reasoning. No one really wants to see the girl they love pawing after someone else. At least she finally said what she had been holding onto for all this time.

I'm curious about the endgame for these two though. Aki has to let go of her feelings for Yori eventually, and Shiho surely can't be an insufferable asshole for the rest of her life. At the same time, it wouldn't fit Shiho's character to settle for the best friend position again.

I couldn't care less about the actual band competition lol, but I guess it brings us a step closer to resolving this mess and moving on.

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Okay things are getting spicy, what is Aki going to say to this.

Turns to next page and sees to be continued Fuuuuu—

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Shiho surely can't be an insufferable asshole for the rest of her life.

Assumes the opposite of facts in evidence.

“I’m angry at you because you never knew the thing I never told you” is god-tier asshole.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Aki... So dense today, she could start gathering a harem.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

Shiho surely can't be an insufferable asshole for the rest of her life.

Assumes the opposite of facts in evidence.

She's only been bad within the context of her issues with Shiho. Outside of those issues she's been fine. I think once this is resolved there's no reason to assume she won't be alright (although she's also just a more strong willed person in general but I wouldn't call that an asshole).

“I’m angry at you because you never knew the thing I never told you” is god-tier asshole.

This kind of attitude is normal though, especially for teens. I don't think it's good behavior but I wouldn't call it indicative of an asshole. It's easy to see from the outside but from the inside people get caught up like this all the time, even "non-assholes."

last edited at Feb 20, 2023 8:19AM

joined Feb 11, 2022

This will probably have a very negative impact on Aki's performance, so I wouldn't be surprised if Laureley wins the competition in part thanks to that (there's also to considerate the promise Shiho made to Hima if her band were to win: That she would listen to any single request she have).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This kind of attitude is normal though, especially for teens. I don't think it's good behavior but I wouldn't call it indicative of an asshole. It's easy to see from the outside but from the inside people get caught up like this all the time, even non-assholes.

Opinions obviously differ: the first thing they tell you in therapy is "Nobody is a mindreader."

Wanting other people to know how you feel without telling (or showing) them is pretty normal.

Causing problems by being hostile to other people because they don't know how you feel when you haven't told them is, imo, being a huge asshole.

last edited at Feb 20, 2023 8:25AM

joined Aug 20, 2022

Whaaaat Shiho was in love with Aki??? Quelle surprise (eye roll). Here's hoping the battle of the bands happens quick (rather than more conversation and introspection) because I'm way more interested in the aftermath.

I really want this anime adaptation to be good. I love stories about bands (Bocchi and given are my most recent examples) and I'm so excited to finally hear them perform "live."

Also thinking about that Alice in Wonderland illustration. Shiho is definitely the Queen of Hearts, right? I'm also thinking Mari is the Mad Hatter and Kaori is the March Hare (secret Kroos cosplay lmao). Aki is probably Cheshire Cat. Whoops fanart idea.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Kaori is the March Hare (secret Kroos cosplay lmao).

Oh my god "KO KO DA YOOOOOO~~~~~" is ringing in my head again

But it fits.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This will probably have a very negative impact on Aki's performance, so I wouldn't be surprised if Laureley wins the competition in part thanks to that (there's also to considerate the promise Shiho made to Hima if her band were to win: That she would listen to any single request she have).

On the other hand, there's the fact that Yori has come up with a yet-unseen new song and she expressed her desire not to lose against Shiho, so we'll see how it goes. At this point neither outcome feels like it would be implausible and prevent the story from still moving forward.

joined Apr 20, 2021

I used to dislike shiho, but now i kinda pity her for the depths of friend-zone she was into. Aki didnt realize it up to the very end...

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I support women's wrongs tbh

joined Apr 6, 2013

This kind of attitude is normal though, especially for teens. I don't think it's good behavior but I wouldn't call it indicative of an asshole. It's easy to see from the outside but from the inside people get caught up like this all the time, even non-assholes.

Opinions obviously differ: the first thing they tell you in therapy is "Nobody is a mindreader."

Wanting other people to know how you feel without telling (or showing) them is pretty normal.

Causing problems by being hostile to other people because they don't know how you feel when you haven't told them is, imo, being a huge asshole.

Sounds like the usual "I want children and teens to have the life experience and maturity of an adult in their fifties". I wouldn't say its not assholic the way Shiho acts but I would say its more that she is young and immature rather than just purposely being mean. To me being an asshole should at least be something you do on purpose.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sounds like the usual "I want children and teens to have the life experience and maturity of an adult in their fifties". I wouldn't say its not assholic the way Shiho acts but I would say its more that she is young and immature rather than just purposely being mean. To me being an asshole should at least be something you do on purpose.

Project your own imaginary interpretation onto what I said all you want--it doesn't take decades of life experience to understand that people don't know things about your feelings that you hide from them.

The point is that all the other characters are also young and immature, and yet they're able to work through their various stuff without being an aggressively troublesome drama queen like Shiho.

And sure, take all the agency away from Shiho for her own actions, and nothing she does is "on purpose."

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

We've reached soap opera levels of ridiculousness. These two are like oil and water, and yet the author keeps hamfistedly forcing them together. When is this arc going to end?

joined Feb 11, 2022

The point is that all the other characters are also young and immature, and yet they're able to work through their various stuff without being an aggressively troublesome drama queen like Shiho.

While that's fantastic, in my opinion it's pretty unrealistic compared to Shiho's behavior, which despite being a bit extreme at times, feels more like a real teenage character.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While that's fantastic, in my opinion it's pretty unrealistic compared to Shiho's behavior, which despite being a bit extreme at times, feels more like a real teenage character.

Well then, it's good thing that Shiho is the series protagonist. Oh, wait . . .

The "that's how teenagers really are" gambit for defending Shiho's character has been exhaustively critiqued previously in this thread--that assertion of supposed "realism" is totally irrelevant to Shiho (and her interminable angst arc) being out of place in this particular storyworld as it has been presented.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Well then, it's good thing that Shiho is the series protagonist. Oh, wait . . .

She's the most important character of the series, whether you like it or not.

The "that's how teenagers really are" gambit for defending Shiho's character has been exhaustively critiqued previously in this thread--that assertion of supposed "realism" is totally irrelevant to Shiho (and her interminable angst arc) being out of place in this particular storyworld as it has been presented.

Nah, of course that some of her actions can't be justified. No one would deny that she did (and continues to do) a couple of pretty horrible things. I just think that readers are overreacting in their criticism of her and this long Arc.
Then again, if "just give me more of Himari’s journey to becoming a thirsty little lesbian" is what you want from this series, you should probably read other ones or come back in a couple of months.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Then again, if "just give me more of Himari’s journey to becoming a thirsty little lesbian" is what you want from this series, you should probably read other ones or come back in a couple of months.

Thanks for your condescending advice. If that were the only possible alternative, it would almost be worth listening to.

To reply you must either login or sign up.