Forum › Anime season

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Well, the exact opposite of G-Witch ruining Xmas happen: Episode 11 had super-cute MioSule scenes, on top of just generally being a very good episode

Meanwhile, that MagiRevo pre-air got subbed, and it's Very Good. On track to be the best version of the story

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Meanwhile, that MagiRevo pre-air got subbed, and it's Very Good. On track to be the best version of the story

Ah, so that explains that youtube link from the mahoukakoumei subreddit

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

MagiRevo was better than I expected, though its early to judge.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

i'm so curious how they're gonna do MagiRevo. Story-wise the end of Volume 3 of the manga seems like the perfect point for a season finale but Tilty being featured in the first episode suggests they'll put in stuff past that bc she doesn't appear until vol.4. That seems like a lot to cover for a single cour though.

joined Feb 3, 2020

i'm so curious how they're gonna do MagiRevo. Story-wise the end of Volume 3 of the manga seems like the perfect point for a season finale but Tilty being featured in the first episode suggests they'll put in stuff past that bc she doesn't appear until vol.4. That seems like a lot to cover for a single cour though.

That only covers a single volume of the LN, definitely not enough for a full 12 episode adaption

joined Jun 21, 2021

That only covers a single volume of the LN, definitely not enough for a full 12 episode adaption

Mmh i guess it wouldn't be by LN adaption standards. I don't really read those so it's hard to me to compare in terms of volumes vs episodes

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

5-6 volumes is pretty typical for manga adaptations...

joined Jan 6, 2017

Typically LN adaptations take 2 - 4 volumes depending on the pacing. MagiRevo will probably go for three since Volume 3's ending would work perfectly as an anime ending... which is kind of sad because Volume 3's ending is shit... But maybe the anime will make it better...?

last edited at Dec 27, 2022 6:27AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

MagiRevo will be airing subbed on Crunchyroll. Waited long enough to announce that one, and they just slid it in with zero fanfare

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I saw the pre air and it's AWESOME (MagiRevo).... I skipped the whole fake out during the party of course, I don't need to see that again.

I also saw the onii san is done for (pre air too), is really good and so nicely animated too but is clearly aimed to lolicon fans so be aware of the "fanservice" it provides, I have one question does she really changes to the point that she starts liking boys now? because that's hinted in the very first episode but who knows, I would prefer if she doesn't... or he doesn't, whatever fits better now

joined Jan 6, 2017

I saw the pre air and it's AWESOME (MagiRevo).... I skipped the whole fake out during the party of course, I don't need to see that again.

I also saw the onii san is done for (pre air too), is really good and so nicely animated too but is clearly aimed to lolicon fans so be aware of the "fanservice" it provides, I have one question does she really changes to the point that she starts liking boys now? because that's hinted in the very first episode but who knows, I would prefer if she doesn't... or he doesn't, whatever fits better now

No and she does get what could be called a girl love interest later on. I.e. a girl that's interested in her but not quite vice versa because Mahiro isn't a lolicon. But yeah, no interest towards boys, still likes boobs and the like, and gets a girl love interest and is shipped together quite a bit with her by a girl who really loves yuri.
There are a couple scenes after she starts going to school where she interacts with two boys giving them a bit of service such as handing them chocolates on valentines. But she doesn't like them at all, she just remembers what it was like to be a boy and wants to make their youth a little less miserable

But don't worry, the series leans quite a bit into the yuri

joined Jan 13, 2021

The Magical Revolution anime is soooooo good? I honestly don't talk about my love for this series enough (I have actually read all the LN volumes translated so far, which is a greater commitment than I sometimes make to basic nourishment), because if I got seriously started, I would not be able to stop. I'd go on and on forever (without spoiling anything) about just how much mileage it gets out of ye olde medieval JRPG fantasy pseudo-European setting, how fascinatingly it explores themes of queerness as intersecting with privilege, authority and responsibility, how it presents an unexpectedly insightful portrayal of how patriarchy and the cult of nobility stunt both femininity and masculinity in accord, how it genuinely wants to ask complicated questions and have big discussions about Systems of Power and Avenues to Change without resorting as so many narratives in its genre do to empty spectacle and blustering deferral. I'd honestly say that if you divide the burgeoning subgenre of isekai yuri into two movements, the first composed of what we may term Court/Otome Yurisekai (comprising such works as I Favor the Villainess, PBMMV, and the criminally underrated The Nightingale and the Rose, which tend to take cues from otome games and focus on court politics), and the second composed of Dark Yurisekai (comprising such works as The Executioner and Her Way of Life and my personal present favorite, The Onee-Sama and the Giant, which draw on dark fantasy and tend to focus on wandering or otherwise underprivileged characters navigating living hells that tend to critique tropes from other, more conventional subgenres of isekai), I'd say MagiRevo is in my opinion the absolute pinnacle of the former.

At any rate, it's great and the anime seems to be taking strides to elevate the source material's charms to another level with much streamlining and big action, which I appreciate, even though I love how the source material has exposition dumps that can span half the novel, because at that point it goes beyond bloat and into an admirable artistic representation of queer women talking about their special interests and snowballing into discourse from eighteen other fields to justify why they need Shiny Sword that goes burr-pew-dakka-gashing-boom. I also hope the adaptation gets to Volume Three, the Best One so far, because 1-3 are very clearly written as a singular narrative-thematic arc and 3 in particular was when I really fell in love with the series, because it has some absolutely heartbreaking drama, a boatload of exciting developments, and a sublime ending that left me breathless with anticipation for where the tale shall head next. It's also when I feel the series perfectly breaks out of the artificial binary between 'should we focus on the central relationship' and 'should we focus on the broader plot and world' that a lot of similar narratives struggle with, because having conversations about the polity and the roles we play and the complex process of bringing about a more progressive society by dismantling existing hegemonies and institutions is the most queer thing two women can do- there is no conflict and these things perfectly dovetail toward the fulfillment of the soul.

On a tangential note, I feel like a ton of action-adventure yuri tends to be suffused with a sense of defeatism and fatalism with regard to its blend of elements (and it is seen as a blend of queer stories with general genre fiction rather than simply the presentation of genre fiction that so happens to have queer protagonists or commentate amid other things upon themes of queerness); a lot of writers tend to retread a ton of the usual conventions and cliches with minor queer twists or castings to add a sense of novelty that rapidly outstays its welcome. And while that's certainly valid, because wanting to enjoy a basic-ass sci-fi or fantasy or what-have-you narrative that's also just queer-friendly and positive and makes you feel safe and comfy and nerdy while also acknowledging your identity is so important, I have an especial soft spot for queer-genre-fiction that's more ambitious, that wants to go for gargantuan worldbuilding and sprawling arcs and spiraling drama, to create a robust world and culture and system and then dedicate itself to exploring the ways in which those systems act upon people's lives and shape their views of the world, and especially how said systems may be interrogated, subverted, challenged and reformed. I want queer-genre-fiction that doesn't just treat the queerness of its characters as a done deal, a selling-point in-and-of-itself, but draws upon the spirit and ethic of queerness, its long history of protest and struggle and rioting and rebellion, its willingness to eternally question and resist hegemony, its profound and euphoric power that must engineer, in the making of a space for itself, a radical challenge to the conventions and norms of all it encounters, not an addendum to some fusty canon, but an invigoration and elevation of our thought and fiction.

MagiRevo very much seems to be a tale in this spirit from what I've read, a story dedicated to bringing forth in event and ethos the revolution proclaimed in its title, and I do hope works of its tenor and temperament, works of genre fiction with visions and hunger and dreams that aim to expand the frontiers of what may be termed yuri, find success and continue to inspire new generations, iterations and movements. I pray the anime may represent a milestone in this sense, and if not, it'll still be an extremely enjoyable experience so long as they maintain the quality of the premiere.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 12:13PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

DY4Y posted:

But don't worry, the series leans quite a bit into the yuri

Thank you very much! I just want to see more girls ~ this will be fun.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I think the fact that you're super familiar with the manga or novel makes you think like that, there was no filler at all lo/ I personally think they did a really good job of introducing the main character and how she behaves, where she comes from and motivations, how the magic works in this world and the nobility plus all the important characters right now without making it heavy, and also in what kind of situation Euphy is right now, and if you think that all that could've been made in 5 minutes and then have 15 minutes of public humiliation and insulting in the party ...well, yikes! and that's how it would've been because no matter how or who directed this, the rescue of Euphelia is THE climax, that was going to be the end of ep1 no matter what, one of the most important scenes in the whole story after all.

If we did the rescue in the first 10 minutes that would result in a rushed chaos.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

The introductory scenes did three things: move the rescue to the end of the episodes as a big climax, substantially lower the exposition density of the upcoming episode, and let us actually see some major character traits in action early on instead on just having to be told that this is how these people are

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I finally watched the first episode of MagiReco and I personally thought the filler they added was pretty boring.

I (who read a few chapters before) watched it with my gf (who didn't read it before) and we both did agree that the first ep was pretty slow. I don't think it's necessarily filler, but it wasn't very interesting material since we were just waiting for something to happen.

But I also understood why they put the "beginning" of the story at the end of episode 1 because if they went into the talk with the king and stuff after, it'd feel like a very very weird episode 1 so I don't blame how they structured ep 1. They needed something to hook viewers to watch more than 1 episode so that is the hook.

Even though ep 1 is boring, I can see more people sticking it out and then getting intrigued to continue onto episode 2 vs if they watched an info dumpy episode 1 that ends with Euphie moving in with Anis. And yeah my gf did want to watch another episode after watching so it worked lol. (I also showed her some of the manga chapters that took place after ep 1 since she was curious and she agreed it'd be weird for that to be in ep 1)

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Looks to be some controversy around Onimai censoring international releases of the anime. Not sure it bothers me too much but some people seem to be upset about it

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lilisionnach posted:

Looks to be some controversy around Onimai censoring international releases of the anime. Not sure it bothers me too much but some people seem to be upset about it

What kind of censoring? not releasing at all or steam in the bath?

joined Jan 6, 2017

Lilisionnach posted:

What kind of censoring? not releasing at all or steam in the bath?

Steam in the bath, cutting a couple shots from scenes, etc. Like for example, when Mahiro was getting her bra fitted it took out the shot where she was struggling to put it on and just had the dialogue over Mihari watching from outside the fitting room instead.
Overall I actually find the censored version to be an improvement. The manga doesn't have much fanservice so the anime having so much of it felt really off.

Like, stuff the manga has that the censored version doesn't includes: the moaning when Mahiro is trying to play the eroge at the beginning and no steam when Mahiro sees her body in the mirror. That's the end of the list
There's also two things that neither version of the anime don't have: Mahiro groping her breasts when thinking she doesn't have much there (in the anime she just looks down) and Mihari bringing the mirror into Mahiro's room after the skirt twirling (in the anime she already has the mirror in her room)

last edited at Jan 7, 2023 9:33AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I was so turned off by the "kill monsters - pick up loot - sell in town" scenario that MagiReco presented in the intro of the first episode that I summarily dismissed it, but just now I soldiered through the rest of the first episode and it doesn't look entirely hopeless after all. I know nothing about the story beforehand though.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Saving 80,000 gold looks fun. Haven't read the manga or novels so it's entirely new for me. This might be the first anime season that I'll regularly watch more than 1 or 2 shows.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Witch of Mercury was one of the most gundam of all times for sure...

For season 2, I'm planning to wait at least 6 episodes to start watching because things will get really hard before we get to see any kind of yuri again, after all, it's war.

joined Jun 21, 2021

For season 2, I'm planning to wait at least 6 episodes to start watching because things will get really hard before we get to see any kind of yuri again, after all, it's war.

i had planned to watch the first cour in one go but now that ep 12 is out i keep seeing all kinds of ominous comments and i'm scared xD

joined May 26, 2016

i had planned to watch the first cour in one go but now that ep 12 is out i keep seeing all kinds of ominous comments and i'm scared xD

Its a shocker but just remember you ARE watching a gundam show

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It was an effective scene, but the actual event wasn't that big of a deal. People are blowing it out of proportion. Didn't lose anyone in the main cast or anything

last edited at Jan 9, 2023 2:08PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.