Forum › Stretch discussion

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

Is it me or does this get better as it goes? I like the way Shou is bulding up Ran and Keiko's relationship; it's been abundantly made clear it goes beyond simple friendship, still it's not exeactly a romantic one. I'd bee more than happy to see the author dig deeper and deeper, 'cause he's good at that.

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

Ah, Ran, let Keiko comfort you upon her bosom.

Avatar_200px_moyashimon_aspergillus-oryzae
joined Mar 14, 2014

Is it me or does this get better as it goes? I like the way Shou is bulding up Ran and Keiko's relationship; it's been abundantly made clear it goes beyond simple friendship, still it's not exeactly a romantic one. I'd bee more than happy to see the author dig deeper and deeper, 'cause he's good at that.

I agree. I find that he's one of the few among manga artists who is very deliberate about what he shows in each panel/page. He seems to know how to get the right "shot" and dialogue to push the visual narrative, as a good storyteller should.

Romantic or not, the main focus is clearly the dynamic between Ran and Keiko. A series that can show how women relate to each other in a meaningful way has a huge plus in my book.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I agree. I find that he's one of the few among manga artists who is very deliberate about what he shows in each panel/page. He seems to know how to get the right "shot" and dialogue to push the visual narrative, as a good storyteller should.

Romantic or not, the main focus is clearly the dynamic between Ran and Keiko. A series that can show how women relate to each other in a meaningful way has a huge plus in my book.

Agreed. Examples abound, but I've always liked the teacher's look and brief pause in speaking when she counts off the students on this page: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/prism_ch3_5#9

Here too: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/prism_ch02#3

last edited at Feb 20, 2015 3:09AM

joined Jan 8, 2014

sometimes there's nothing that turns you on like a crying woman....

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Can't say that's ever happened for me.

20240420_135750
joined Jan 19, 2015

Damn ittt get together alreaadyy

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Wouldn't the normal response be to want to hug her to death? (Or at least until she stops crying. I suppose the death part is optional.)

joined May 23, 2013

Might as well fudge me over with this friendship deal going on.....L-L why is it so hard to come into one term. Cheese. there will be nothing left of the relationship afterwards.

joined Jan 30, 2015

Agreed. Examples abound, but I've always liked the teacher's look and brief pause in speaking when she counts off the students on this page: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/prism_ch3_5#9

Shou is so odd to me; he's a plagiarist, and he's drawn pedo-stuff according to the profile thing. I really like his works on here, but I can't feel "right" recommending them to people I know.

Sorta like recommending Woody Allen or Roman Polanski movies, but on a lesser scale of abhorrence. I wouldn't support an artist that is an unapologetic creep.

He has both a strong grip on visual composition (knowing what to focus on precisely), and a strong understanding of the complexities in relationships. The ambiguities, the unstated intents, the need to connect meaningfully to other people that can never be fully understood.

Like, he's a good manga author, but I couldn't tell my sister that this how-to comic on stretching exercises has an excellent slow-burn plot. I mean, there's the ridiculousness of that first sentence, and then there's the stuff I mentioned about Shou's past body of work, about what it makes me feel.

edited for a bit more clarity

last edited at Feb 20, 2015 6:00PM

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

Shou is so odd to me; he's a plagiarist, and he's drawn pedo-stuff according to the profile thing. I really like his works on here, but I can't feel "right" recommending them to people I know.

Sorta like recommending Woody Allen or Roman Polanski movies, but on a lesser scale of abhorrence. I wouldn't support an artist that is an unapologetic creep.

He has both a strong grip on visual composition (knowing what to focus on precisely), and a strong understanding of the complexities in relationships. The ambiguities, the unstated intents, the need to connect meaningfully to other people that can never be fully understood.

Like, he's a good manga author, but I couldn't tell my sister that this how-to comic on stretching exercises has an excellent slow-burn plot. I mean, there's the ridiculousness of that first sentence, and then there's the stuff I mentioned about Shou's past body of work, about what it makes me feel.

edited for a bit more clarity

I would have no problems with telling someone that a how-to comic on stretching exercises has an excellent slow-burn plot. There have been weirder things that have gone mainstream.

As for his past body of work, you could just say you do not recommend anything else from the author. Or strongly discourage reading his past works due to what you just mentioned. Not open-minded enough to give Stretch a try? Oh well.

last edited at Feb 20, 2015 7:46PM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

The guy is a genius. A scary one at that, no doubt. I didn't know about his other works (other than Prism and Stretch) until people brought it up. I checked them out (being a curious individual that I am) and I gotta say, they're actually not as bad as most hentai mangas. I admired the art more than the plot. It's why I fell for this manga because it has both (although the storyline is not the greatest).

Shou is a bit like a sociopath. He slightly reminds me of Brian Moser (from Dexter), except the torturing and murdering part. Unless of course Shou was doing that secretly, then I wouldn't be surprised.

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

The guy is a genius. A scary one at that, no doubt. I didn't know about his other works (other than Prism and Stretch) until people brought it up. I checked them out (being a curious individual that I am) and I gotta say, they're actually not as bad as most hentai mangas. I admired the art more than the plot. It's why I fell for this manga because it has both (although the storyline is not the greatest).

Shou is a bit like a sociopath. He slightly reminds me of Brian Moser (from Dexter), except the torturing and murdering part. Unless of course Shou was doing that secretly, then I wouldn't be surprised.

What makes you think he's a sociopath? xD

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

What makes you think he's a sociopath? xD

It's just because of his ability to comprehend the complications and the reality of life. And the way he manipulates it in a way to confuse/fascinate his readers. If someone has that kind of mentality, my respect for them goes up. Especially knowing about his naughty background. And because I have this notion that a hentai mangaka is only supposed to live in their world of sex and outside of that is beyond comprehension for them. I know. I'm totally being biased.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

U WOT M8?

Okay, I can see being hesitant to recommend his work based on his other stuff, but potentially libellous shit like saying he's like a sociopath and saying you wouldn't be surprised if he was torturing and murdering people is a bridge too far. Not only is it taking things to extremes and insulting based on very little, but diagnosis via internet is a stupid thing to do. You don't know this guy, you've never met him, you've nothing to base those statements on.

So knock it off.

last edited at Feb 20, 2015 8:23PM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

U WOT M8?

Okay, I can see being hesitant to recommend his work based on his other stuff, but potentially libellous shit like saying he's like a sociopath and saying you wouldn't be surprised if he was torturing and murdering people is a bridge too far. Not only is it taking things to extremes and insulting based on very little, but diagnosis via internet is a stupid thing to do. You don't know this guy, you've never met him, you've nothing to base those statements on.

So knock it off.

The torturing and murdering part was supposed to be a joke but I do apologize for upsetting anybody with that comment.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Their relationship reminds me a little of this line by Hachisuka that starts, "I think love is..."

last edited at Feb 21, 2015 1:04AM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Is this yuri or no?

Although, I can see some subtexts.

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

Is this yuri or no?

I think the vast majority of people can agree this is yuri. The author has previous experince with yuri and it is very certainly heading that direction. I don't think there is too much to say against it being yuri.
Unless, the author throws in a twist and basically destroys all of our hearts, but what's the likelihood of that happening? Hopefully, not very likely.

10930931_1572484072967796_9102248557687339195_n
joined Jan 4, 2014

Is this yuri or no?

Well, dont hope much and you will be amazed.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I had to double check and make sure that this wasn't the last chapter since I can totally see this would be how the series ends.

heh. there have been several chapters that i thought was the last. the authors gonna wring this manga dry.

on a serious note though, i predict another 30 or so chapters of bs 'til we get into the juicy yuri romance of the manga.

But that is where all of the really interesting stretches happen. I want to read those step-by-step instructions for things like the 69 stretch and the tribadism stretch. LOL

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

on a serious note though, i predict another 30 or so chapters of bs 'til we get into the juicy yuri romance of the manga.

But that is where all of the really interesting stretches happen. I want to read those step-by-step instructions for things like the 69 stretch and the tribadism stretch. LOL

Not a joking matter, Shou should take his responsibility here. A matter of health and safety! For the public interest this should be in the next chapter, if he needs an extra week drawing it, I'll forgive him. I don't think there will ever be much sex shown in this series, doesn't fit with the other comics on that site

Serious question: 2 volumes printed now, how long are series like this usually allowed to run? The lion series at the same website has 118 four page chapters.

last edited at Feb 24, 2015 6:25PM

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

I really want to see them get together. I feel like in a few chapter endings there was a maybe shot of them getting together then the next chapter would have nothing to do with the previous. I think this manga is super cute.. I just need some more yuri in it! lol.

joined Jan 30, 2015

Serious question: 2 volumes printed now, how long are series like this usually allowed to run? The lion series at the same website has 118 four page chapters.

I imagine it's like an online manhwa; it goes until the author quits, it becomes completely unpopular, or the author dies/goes crazy/wants a big shift in life and changes careers/experiences a divine revelation/gets really lost on the way to the convenience store, I mean SUPER lost

man I forgot about that Lion manga, I love that one

I really want to see them get together. I feel like in a few chapter endings there was a maybe shot of them getting together then the next chapter would have nothing to do with the previous. I think this manga is super cute.. I just need some more yuri in it! lol.

Well, there's two things; the author probably feels that the characters work better as ambiguous and reluctant people, and he probably realizes that people might be more interested in the characters kissing than the stretching instructions.

I mean, it's really easy to hook an audience with the will they/won't they dynamic of proto-romantic interaction. For example: look at every fanfiction written in the world in the past 45 years

joined Nov 30, 2011

I imagine it's like an online manhwa; it goes until the author quits, it becomes completely unpopular, or the author dies/goes crazy/wants a big shift in life and changes careers/experiences a divine revelation/gets really lost on the way to the convenience store, I mean SUPER lost

Unless he's related to Roronoa Zoro, I think we don't have to worry about him getting lost on the way to the convenience store ;)

To reply you must either login or sign up.