Forum › Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

A reminder that this exist and had a good ending :D

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The tsundere tag has led me here and as usual it does not fail!

So many feelings (especially after finishing the manga on another site). The conclusion was perhaps a tiny bit rushed, but at least the lead up to it made sense and was emotionally sound. I mean ultimately Akina was always just 1 step away from accepting her otakuness and confessing to Kaede. She just needed a tiny push by the end.

Now I get that this author's motto is "No girl can dislike BL" (something so obviously wrong I dont need to point it out), but for a work that so accurately and deeply portrayed Otaku culture and is overtly yuri, I am a little disappointed. Basically all female Otaku were portrayed as Fujoshi with the exception of maybe Mii-chi, who is mostly a gamer girl who goes along with anything her friends drag her into.
Even Akina, who has not shown a single sliver of interest in boys from start to finish and who has a gay breakdown for Kaede pretty much every single chapter still somehow has an interest in BL, even if it was downplayed.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that, as Fujoshis or curiosity for that genre are obviously the most wide-spread in Japan and dominate the female Otaku scene there. But for a work that really did its darndest to portray every aspect (even the worst parts) of Otaku culture, I would have liked to see at least one Himejoshi. Yes, they are rarer and you'll much rather find girls who like both yuri and yaoi, but they still exist.

At points it almost felt like I was reading a BL recruitment flier, but hey, it's all fun and jokes. I really liked the sweeter moments and Akina was surprisingly relatable in some ways (especially when she tried writing fanfics). I really enjoy physical comedy and slap-stick too, so all interactions between Akina and Makoto as well as pretty much anyone against Konatsu were great~
(Speaking of Konatsu, the Konatsu x Touko shipteasing was strong and the author knew 100 percent what they were doing there)

Overall this was absolutely great, if only for the great character chemistry and somewhat romanticized portrayal of Otaku culture. In the end they are all just people who love their hobby (sometimes too much).

joined Oct 15, 2014

Just letting everyone know that this manga is already finished. U can read it at MangaRock.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I finished this a couple of weeks ago and while I agree that the ending is a bit rushed, I'm just glad we finally got a great big "I love you!", big kiss, and a great big "I love you too!" Also, while Hyakuro's translation is shaky, I'm a huge weeb so keeping the honorifics is always a win in my book.

Just letting everyone know that this manga is already finished. U can read it at MangaRock.

I used MangaDex.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I finished this a couple of weeks ago and while I agree that the ending is a bit rushed, I'm just glad we finally got a great big "I love you!", big kiss, and a great big "I love you too!" Also, while Hyakuro's translation is shaky, I'm a huge weeb so keeping the honorifics is always a win in my book.

I used MangaDex.

Yeah it's not available on MangaRock anymore, they have changed their ways

I'm a bit sad about it since there were a lot of yuri gems on there that I couldn't find on other sites but I guess it's for the best if the creators get support. Although it's not like I have a lot of money to spend myself

~the%20best%20pfp%20small
joined Feb 4, 2021

Nice.

wow this has a lot of comments

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

By the way I dunno if any of you read this series in tankobon. I bought a set, tankobon pages are tiny to begin with. Really reduced from magazines. There's a lot of dialogue and sometimes the little kanji and kana become microscopic in the balloons, and it's just impossible to read for me. On the plus side, it has a ton of furigana (little hiragana above the kanji). 1st-year Middle-school students would be able to read it easily, and us Westerners with difficulty.

What's really great is Akina's desperation. "Yuri" isn't a fetish for her. Her feelings for Kaede aren't "interesting," they're arduous. By the end of the series, I think Kaede was half in love and half, wow, real yuri! Even Makoto's otaku friends aren't bad, this is a very fluffy series. She really is a tsundere little sister, a lesbian, a champion athlete, and a scholar. All those fantasies are basically her life, and that's probably part of what made her dislike otaku stuff in the first place. It's also a great love conquers all series. And it's awesome that Kaede initiates their first kiss

I would have liked to see at least one Himejoshi. Yes, they are rarer and you'll much rather find girls who like both yuri and yaoi, but they still exist.

One of the reasons I thought Akina's quest wasn't in vain is that Kaede seems to prefer yuri, on balance. She is into Lord Atonbee, but she's more into PrePure, she wanted to read the next instalment of the yuri manga right then (before getting distracted by the R18), and when she does a tabletop game, it's 100% lesbian. She's clearly not thought much about her sexuality. Though arguably, more than Akina, who just assumed a boyfriend would wander into her life eventually before she met Kaede and realised that wasn't in the cards.

Nonetheless, I agree Himejoshi is a great subject. I think the real-life comic where the four yuri mangaka go to a strip club is pretty much there. I will eagerly read any such manga/doujin.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 9:56PM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

By the way, I think it's not a spoiler at all to point out that in the chapter immediately after this, when Akina goes out exploring at the PreCure event, when she gets back, Kaede has been talking non-stop about her, and only her, in a crush-laden fashion. So already, by the doujin-making event, Kaede is clearly smitten with Akina. The rest of the series will be like Girl Friends, having the one with the first crush realise her crush reciprocates.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And I have finished taking two days to re-read this and it's still as great as ever. Hopefully one day we'll be able to read the last chapters here as well...

joined Sep 7, 2021

Just started reading and she's about to embark on this insanity all just for a girl she likes the face of. XD

Stop
joined May 9, 2022

Time for my annual re-read of this. I must say, I still want more of this story...I wanted to see more of them being all lovey dovey, however I'm not gonna complain too much since we got a good ending lol.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

BonnieBlue12 posted:

Time for my annual re-read of this. I must say, I still want more of this story...I wanted to see more of them being all lovey dovey, however I'm not gonna complain too much since we got a good ending lol.

Imagine my surprise reading the missing - from here - chapters and discovering that it had such a wonderful ending I'd missed out on all these years! Thanks for the post.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

BonnieBlue12 posted:

Imagine my surprise reading the missing - from here - chapters and discovering that it had such a wonderful ending I'd missed out on all these years! Thanks for the post.

Any chance to get them over here as well? Surely the series deserves to have it all here...

Stop
joined May 9, 2022

BonnieBlue12 posted:

Don't mention it pardner. Due to work and whatnot I have just finished Chapter 37. I try not to binge this manga in a couple days since, well, I love it so much. I hope someone adds the other chapters here soon, as I find this site to be the easiest to talk about manga on lol.

Also I can't help but want to get more people to read Shinozaki-san to increase its popularity! My dream is maybe one day, we'll get an anime.

Stop
joined May 9, 2022

BonnieBlue12 posted:

Don't mention it pardner. Due to work and whatnot I have just finished Chapter 37. I try not to binge this manga in a couple days since, well, I love it so much. I hope someone adds the other chapters here soon, as I find this site to be the easiest to talk about manga on lol.

Also I can't help but want to get more people to read Shinozaki-san to increase its popularity! My dream is maybe one day, we'll get an anime.

I'm back here to say yet again what a great read it was! The author really knows how to draw cute and funny faces. One of my favorite parts of this manga is people reacting to Akina's mannerisms lol. Although unlikely, maybe someday the author will do an Epilogue at some point.

There is potential for a sequel! Who wouldn't wanna see Akina and Kaede date chapters? And, there is still at least two things I wanna see "resolved" such as Akina telling her brother she became an otaku, also the fact that Shiinamachi Koto has a huge huge attraction to Akina.

joined Jul 29, 2022

Ok I'm on chapter 3 and shittt she horny after otaku girl as hell she will jump on her if only have chance and consent from her and in comment i read this is subtext

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Nah, it's yuri. It ends with them being a couple

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Also upon rereading, the jokes are somewhat a bit way too dated at this point to probably make a good anime. Also the mangaka basically made a sequel. It's about vtubers now.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

beeaggro posted:

Also upon rereading, the jokes are somewhat a bit way too dated at this point to probably make a good anime. Also the mangaka basically made a sequel. It's about vtubers now.

Yeah, the ending was very cute and it had some good jokes but the premise only gives you so much to work with unless you reset and repeat...and that's exactly what happened, Shinozaki would learn every time that her friends are nice, can get along with Otakus and that she doesn't have to hide anymore, but she would go back to "ugghh disgusting!" the next chapter.

Now with anime being a worldwide thing, normies getting into it with netflix and whatnot, simulcast... Her behavior would be too on the nose.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

The Tuber series is fine, but this really was great.
The twin closets are hilarious. including the fact that she left the door open on the otaku one and everyone can see in, and the lesbian one isn't much better.

To reply you must either login or sign up.