Forum › Endless Room discussion

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I can't help but laugh at how awkward this was to read. "The black skin is disgusting, the white skin is beautiful" this is the type of thing that could only be written in japan

The colorism presented is a pretty serious problem, but like. Did you really type that out without an ounce of awareness?

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

One word, sunscreen!

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

noooo dont burn your milky white skin youre so hot aha

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

"grrr that white pale skin thats gotta be under the black skin make me horny ggrr"

huff take off your skin huff

last edited at Oct 16, 2022 6:44PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

"grrr that white pale skin thats gotta be under the black skin make me horny ggrr"

huff take off your skin huff

Did this thread just take a turn into Leather Face territory?

joined Mar 25, 2015

There's just some inherent shame and shaming of getting darker skin, that's from colorism. Though this story does seem to use colorism as more of a metaphor. It has clearly harmed Keika, keeping her isolated from the world, and I would argue that has harmed her more than any damage from the sun.

Thanks for the informative and insightful comment skelly85

joined Apr 6, 2013

I can't help but laugh at how awkward this was to read. "The black skin is disgusting, the white skin is beautiful" this is the type of thing that could only be written in japan

The colorism presented is a pretty serious problem, but like. Did you really type that out without an ounce of awareness?

Uh oh, look like a snowflake entered chat

Please inform me as to my problematic behavior which has offended you so

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Everyone is talking about the hotel staff grill preferring non-tanned skin, yet my first impressions were "damn, parents keeping their child locked up in a windowless room for 18 years, how did she not straight up go clinically insane, this is pure abuse" and "wait, you will just causally shrug it off that she drugged the employee with sleeping pills in her drink". I realise that this story is not supposed to be taken too literally and that it is all basically a tortured metaphor, but I mean, it is a bit too tortured.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Culturally and historically, women with very pale skin have been considered a canon of beauty in Japan. And black teeth too while we're at it.

Wearing a tan is the mark of the peasants who spend their time outside.

_yuri_hime_14_clear_file
joined Oct 21, 2011

Grossly incandescent

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Hm. The start did irk me but I kept reading, if she was seriously sunburnt like the characters described, I can see the concern, she is well on her way to skin cancer. Though, the stewardess' mission to bring back her lighter skin was definitely not needed.

Not like the people who skipped it missed much anyway, they ended up being friends, it's basically subtext.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hoskins88 posted:

Uh oh, look like a snowflake entered chat

Please inform me as to my problematic behavior which has offended you so

Sure. You suggested that only Japanese people would publish such colorism. Certainly this is not the place for such a sentiment, regardless of your feelings on the story.

To reply you must either login or sign up.