Forum › Long-Awaited Feelings discussion

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

yeah I'd figure Jing Xiu has been given the critic role of the judges but they probably gave her that role because she's already kind of like that as a person. Ji Youyan herself is playing the nice judge but she'd likely give the same type of advice even if she wasn't to play that role. And while we haven't seen the new guy before he's probably also more of a jokester as part of his celebrity persona and as a person.

So while Jing Xiu is definitely speaking her mind here, she's almost certainly being encouraged to do so to balance out the jokey and nice judge.

I think this might lead to "on air" tension between Jing Xiu and Ji Youyan that can be turned to some nice "off air" tension. They can battle it over the souls of the contestants, when really, they're battling over each other's hearts.

joined Apr 16, 2022

yeah I'd figure Jing Xiu has been given the critic role of the judges but they probably gave her that role because she's already kind of like that as a person. Ji Youyan herself is playing the nice judge but she'd likely give the same type of advice even if she wasn't to play that role.

Honestly, I kind of disagree. I get the sense Jing Xiu is more the nice one between the two. It's hard to tell because we mostly see her when she's interacting with Ji Youyan and Jing Xiu is (very understandably) cold toward her, but there's been several scenes that show she's actually a highly considerate person. Otoh Ji Youyan has often been quite judgmental in her internal monologue.

That said, it's probably true that their judge roles match their public images. Ji Youyan has a much more "nice/feminine" appearance, she wore a frilly white dress for her performance while Jing Xiu did a fight scene thing, etc. So the audience might expect her to be the nice one and Jing Xiu to be the mean one.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

yeah I'd figure Jing Xiu has been given the critic role of the judges but they probably gave her that role because she's already kind of like that as a person. Ji Youyan herself is playing the nice judge but she'd likely give the same type of advice even if she wasn't to play that role.

Honestly, I kind of disagree. I get the sense Jing Xiu is more the nice one between the two. It's hard to tell because we mostly see her when she's interacting with Ji Youyan and Jing Xiu is (very understandably) cold toward her, but there's been several scenes that show she's actually a highly considerate person. Otoh Ji Youyan has often been quite judgmental in her internal monologue.

That said, it's probably true that their judge roles match their public images. Ji Youyan has a much more "nice/feminine" appearance, she wore a frilly white dress for her performance while Jing Xiu did a fight scene thing, etc. So the audience might expect her to be the nice one and Jing Xiu to be the mean one.

Is Ji Youyan supposed to be actually mean or just relatively to Jing Xiu? I agree with you that Jing Xiu doesn't seem mean at all, but I would hazard that most people are judgmental some of the time in their thoughts. I don't think that makes Ji Youyan mean in and of itself. They can both be nice.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Is Ji Youyan supposed to be actually mean or just relatively to Jing Xiu? I agree with you that Jing Xiu doesn't seem mean at all, but I would hazard that most people are judgmental some of the time in their thoughts. I don't think that makes Ji Youyan mean in and of itself. They can both be nice.

More relative to Jing Xiu, I'm not saying she's a bad person, but Ji Youyan has shown some other negative qualities. She's the one who broke up with Jing Xiu, apparently for the sake of her career, and then drank herself to death; she admitted the only reason she gained the courage to pursue Jing Xiu in her second life was she saw the latter crying over her coffin; she's pretty aggressively butting into Jing Xiu's life despite being told she's not wanted; etc. I think overall she has a fairly aggressive and somewhat selfish personality that would make her well-suited to the Simon Cowell role if it didn't clash with her public image (though she's a good enough actress she can play the nice girl well too).

Again, not saying she's a bad person, and she certainly makes a great protagonist because of how proactive and complex she is.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Just finished reading the web novel-- so so so happy this was adapted into manhua form!

Oop. That finger tapping. Ji's in troubleeeee!

joined Apr 16, 2022

Ji Youyan is great, she's basically a classic "white lotus" fake good girl except she's the protagonist (and also genuinely smart).

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I kind of like how single minded Ji Youyan is. She doesn't seem to care much about this mentor thing, but she wanted to match scores with Jing Xiu. It's cute, and based on the smile it might be working a little. She's supporting her more than she is the contestant.

fallandlearntofly
joined Sep 29, 2022

Oh damn this got adapted!! Signed up just to talk about it. I loved the novel. It was really heartwrenching but in a good way. It makes a statement of how going back in time will do nothing if we don't address what was wrong in our relationship but we do love each other so much that we're willing to work on it again. Not only is it about their relationship but it seeing as this is mostly from the perspective of Ji Youyan its also about her journey dealing with her mental health issues. It also allows them to save other relationships/prevent the worst possible outcome for not only themselves but people around them. its a study in mental health and the toxicity of the entertainment industry and how that toxicity can break down peopl who used to be so full of life. and helping each other heal from that and live happier healthier lives.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 2:02AM

joined Apr 19, 2012

Oh damn this got adapted!! Signed up just to talk about it. I loved the novel. It was really heartwrenching but in a good way. It makes a statement of how going back in time will do nothing if we don't address what was wrong in our relationship but we do love each other so much that we're willing to work on it again. Not only is it about their relationship but it seeing as this is mostly from the perspective of Ji Youyan its also about her journey dealing with her mental health issues. It also allows them to save other relationships/prevent the worst possible outcome for not only themselves but people around them. its a study in mental health and the toxicity of the entertainment industry and how that toxicity can break down peopl who used to be so full of life. and helping each other heal from that and live happier healthier lives.

I think about the tagline every time.

"懂得如何愛比懂得愛更重要"

Knowing how to love is more important than understanding love.

fallandlearntofly
joined Sep 29, 2022

I think about the tagline every time.

"懂得如何愛比懂得愛更重要"

Knowing how to love is more important than understanding love.

I did not know it had a tagline but yeah!! That! Love isn't enough to sustain a relationship but it does help sustain the desire to make a relationship work but they needed to recognize where they were going wrong with each other. Its the same whether its platonic or familial. Like the way Ji Youyan's parents cared about her was so relateable to me too. its complicated in a way. not sure if these are spoilers since its just a general feel but I'll play safe: You know your parents care about you and want what's best but the way they love was one of the factors that drove Ji Youyan to further tie in the mentality that if she isn't performing well or doing as expected then she isn't worthy of love. how they expressed their care for JYY was a nail in the coffin to really have Ji Youyan tie her ability to perform well to her value and her being "worthy" of love. The parents didn't have a healthy mentality either so that manifested in a kind of love that hurt her too. But giving the space for the parents to grow the same way Ji Youyan and Jing Xiu were given space to grow felt really like. I wish more people had that. I wish more people learned to love better. Like I knew the parents were doing what they thought was good but I'd have struggled to even try and forgive them for their homophobia and would have called them out on it. even if we still cared about each other. But at the same time it was a scene that I honestly wished happened more in real life: parents who realized their mistakes grew from that mentality and learned to accept their children truly unconditionally. learning to love healthier and more respectful of each others needs and desires

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Oh, I didn't understand this while reading the novel, but the rating cards at the end might actually be a small Jing Xiu plot to test Ji Youyan's attitude towards her. She anticipates that from her comments she'd be expected to hold up a D, which under normal circumstances would make her the one bad rating and kinda stand out as scary and possibly incur wrath from the producers. So if Youyan was selfish, she'd stick with a C to leave all negativity on Jing Xiu but the fact that she also holds up a D and then quickly switches it around shows to Jing Xiu that she was trying to take some heat of her and help her out, which is why Jing Xiu is smiling to herself after the ratings are given.

Might be overinterpreting, dunno

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Oh, I didn't understand this while reading the novel, but the rating cards at the end might actually be a small Jing Xiu plot to test Ji Youyan's attitude towards her. She anticipates that from her comments she'd be expected to hold up a D, which under normal circumstances would make her the one bad rating and kinda stand out as scary and possibly incur wrath from the producers. So if Youyan was selfish, she'd stick with a C to leave all negativity on Jing Xiu but the fact that she also holds up a D and then quickly switches it around shows to Jing Xiu that she was trying to take some heat of her and help her out, which is why Jing Xiu is smiling to herself after the ratings are given.

Ah, mind games, the one true recipe for a healthy relationship. :3

fallandlearntofly
joined Sep 29, 2022

More relative to Jing Xiu, I'm not saying she's a bad person, but Ji Youyan has shown some other negative qualities. She's the one who broke up with Jing Xiu, apparently for the sake of her career, and then drank herself to death; she admitted the only reason she gained the courage to pursue Jing Xiu in her second life was she saw the latter crying over her coffin; she's pretty aggressively butting into Jing Xiu's life despite being told she's not wanted; etc. I think overall she has a fairly aggressive and somewhat selfish personality that would make her well-suited to the Simon Cowell role if it didn't clash with her public image (though she's a good enough actress she can play the nice girl well too).

Again, not saying she's a bad person, and she certainly makes a great protagonist because of how proactive and complex she is.

I want to clear up this up because I feel that it might not have translated well in the comic: Ji Youyan did not break up with Jing Xiu for the sake of her career.

The bathroom scene did not highlight this as much in the comic but in the novel you could feel Ji Youyan's disgust with herself in the scene. "It was quite ugly. She hated seeing herself like that." In the starting chapters there's a foundation of how Ji Youyan's problem is her self-loathing/self-worth issues. Every angsty thought JYY has about JX in the intial stages is mired in her self loathing. Like "obviously JX is disgusted with me. I'M disgusted with me!" "I was very stupid before!" etc etc. She has very low evaluation of herself.

The comic doesn't mention this but in the novel's intro it mentions how Jing Xiu is a highly decorated actress even at this point in time where its a restart. She's already won major acting awards both inside and outside of China at this point in time. Its not stated outright in the comic but you'll notice the panels where Ji Youyan is being forced to drink Jing Xiu can calmly eat. which is rare in these types of getting to know dinners: you'd need a certain amount of prestige and backing to be able to do so. this is specifically stated in the novel as Jing Xiu drinks tea instead of wine and the director never forces her so the investors are aware that Jing Xiu is not someone they can casually bully. This means she has backing in the entertainment industry. While Ji Youyan is still at bottom of the barrel in the entertainment industry. JYY has now won an award but still lacks the power to actually deal with investors properly.

That self loathing informs every action Ji Youyan took while they were together and until now. She had grown with a mentality that meant her value as a person was attached to her ability to perform and that decided how worthy she was of Jing Xiu. Except that mentality from the get go was flawed because she should have never measured her worth in her ability to achieve results. However this mentality was a result of her environment and certain circumstances surrounding her and if you understand/relate to those circumstances it makes you want to cheer her on that she comes out of that spiral. Additionally because of a lack of communication like now, where they're tiptoeing around each other they misunderstood the reasons for the other doing things and thought the other no longer had feelings for themselves. They reached a point where JX thought Ji Youyan didn't love her anymore because JYY never opened up to her about her difficulties and JYY thought JX got tired of loving useless trash like her

JX is also behaving in such a way because she has been hurt countless times before because of JYY's "pride". She's been very very hurt by JYY and we can see that already from the few tidbits JYY has mentioned herself and why she's bitter at herself for being stupid. JX does the things she does because JYY used to never tell her what was wrong so now she has had to resort to underhanded means to figure out what JYY's mentality is. JX made a lot of concessions in their relationship that she thought would help JYY open up but in the end just put them in a cycle of hurting and getting hurt However each of these issues are addressed as the story moves forward.

But again, that contributed hugely to why they broke up. And why they thought the other didn't love them anymore. the reason JYY can pursue JX now is because she realized that JX still actually loved her. They still love each other. They still have feelings. She was able to stay out of JX's life in the other timeline because she thought that was what JX wanted and what would make JX happy and a good ex is basically dead. Since she thought JX no longer loved her it was best to be a qualified ex. but she herself couldn't move on. and every action she took in the entertainment industry was all for naught. And then the realization that she still has space in JX's heart, that ther's room to make up makes her braver to correct her mistakes. she doesn't recognize all of her mistakes yet but she'll learn, she'll grow. Now JYY is in a position that makes her braver to take action to correct her mistakes as long as JX welcomes it while JX recognizes that even if there are feelings unless they address their issues the relationship won't work but if JYY is willing to open up to her on it then she's willing to reopen her heart even if it takes awhile because of how much of the trust was broken in the past. So yeah, its about them learning to grow and be better versions of themselves and its all because they both realized they still love each other and can't move on from each other that they want to give themselves this chance to try and work on it. And they do! They get better! they make mistakes sure but both of them strive to correct them become better people and make each other happy.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 7:12AM

joined Mar 23, 2022

trueeee this is how I interpret her actions l, she somehow help her bae to take half of the blame and hate from the audience.

joined Apr 19, 2012

this is exactly how I interpreted it tbh-- JYY wanted to protect JX from being the "big bad guy" on the X Factor-- I mean, whatever this show is

joined Apr 16, 2022

I want to clear up this up because I feel that it might not have translated well in the comic: Ji Youyan did not break up with Jing Xiu for the sake of her career.

The bathroom scene did not highlight this as much in the comic but in the novel you could feel Ji Youyan's disgust with herself in the scene. "It was quite ugly. She hated seeing herself like that." In the starting chapters there's a foundation of how Ji Youyan's problem is her self-loathing/self-worth issues. Every angsty thought JYY has about JX in the intial stages is mired in her self loathing. Like "obviously JX is disgusted with me. I'M disgusted with me!" "I was very stupid before!" etc etc. She has very low evaluation of herself. . . .

To be clear, I said "apparently" for the sake of her career because that's the sense I got from the chapters so far; I recognize there's a lot to go and a lot that hasn't been revealed yet about Ji Youyan and Jing Xiu's past relationship.

I do appreciate the extensive analysis! It's true that, due to the nature of the medium, the manhua has to cut out a lot of the internal monologue and details that you describe in the novel. But I think it gets across the major points. Ji Youyan may not explicitly state that she hates herself in the manhua but you more or less get that idea due to how much she blames herself for her mistakes both in her previous life and in her current one.

As I emphasized, I don't think Ji Youyan is a bad person. I just think that she puts on an act of being a nice, bubbly "cute girl," when in reality she's extremely cynical, driven, and kind of selfish. On the other hand, while Jing Xiu comes across as cold and emotionless, her actual actions reveal her to be extremely caring and conscientious, even toward Ji Youyan who's clearly hurt her quite deeply. It's an interesting contrast, and I like how a story about the entertainment industry is emphasizing how our performative selves are often very different from what we're like on the inside.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Well, I, for one, think you are deflecting and avoiding the question, lady. :-)

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Well, I, for one, think you are deflecting and avoiding the question, lady. :-)

yeah it's interesting to see because like, that sort of deflecting the question back on Ji Youyan can extremely easily give the wrong impression, like it's obvious here that Youyan asks this question because she's anxious she is actually overstepping so a deflection like this will only be recieved as "yes you are overstepping I'm not even going to give a real answer because of how obvious that is" and like not to put blame on Jing Xiu's shoulders but if that is a habit of hers I can see how their relationship was bad for Youyan, because that type of answering is just anxiety fuel.

joined Mar 23, 2022

emossyonaal damaaage.T-T

joined Apr 16, 2022

Jing Xiu is being a little bit disingenuous in claiming she's just pointing out the contestants' strengths and weaknesses, she's been 100% critical with zero praise so far lol.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

“what do you think?” I think it makes your heart melt when ji youyan shows how much she cares about you. I also think you’re desperately longing for ji youyan (look at that lonely expression) yet restraining yourself due to mixed emotions

However it is really beautiful when jing xiu and ji youyan overcome these painful feelings together

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

not to put blame on Jing Xiu's shoulders but if that is a habit of hers I can see how their relationship was bad for Youyan, because that type of answering is just anxiety fuel.

jing xiu is a certified tsun tsun and ji youyan knows this very well. That’s one of the things she loves about her. However, their relationship wasn’t like this. The root of their relationship issues stemmed from ji youyan’s insecurities and low self esteem. Jing xiu is behaving this way now (definitely not healthy) because she loves ji youyan, but is deeply hurt and still heartbroken. Later all the shit jing xiu went through will be revealed. It doesn’t excuse her current behavior, but it will help readers understand better why she’s behaving this way

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 8:25PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Jing Xiu is being a little bit disingenuous in claiming she's just pointing out the contestants' strengths and weaknesses, she's been 100% critical with zero praise so far lol.

Haha I guess her praise is in her final score since she actually does score the contestants similarly to the "nice" judges. But yeah knowing how editing goes, they easily can give her an "evil edit" with how harsh her critique has been.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

I feel like I'm less and less understanding the fighting between them

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 9:59PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.