Forum › Fuzoroi no Renri discussion

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

It's a touching sentiment, but I don't know why she had to step on her to get it across

this is fuzoroi no renri, its a requirement

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

So I'm reading through this, and currently on Chapter 16. Kinda confused by the ending; did I miss something, or was there a mistranslation? Like, I can't tell if the last panel is implying Minami got hit by the sister, or by Iori, or neither. Looking back through the chapter, no actual violence has been shown from either of them despite the plentiful threats, but then there's that that like, mark on Minami's cheek that I can't tell if it's a bruise or just her blushing for some reason. Given everything that went down in like, Chapter 8 or 9 or so, it feels like kind of a weird implication, but given no hitting was directly shown, I'm wondering if the translation is off or something.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So I'm reading through this, and currently on Chapter 16. Kinda confused by the ending; did I miss something, or was there a mistranslation? Like, I can't tell if the last panel is implying Minami got hit by the sister, or by Iori, or neither. Looking back through the chapter, no actual violence has been shown from either of them despite the plentiful threats, but then there's that that like, mark on Minami's cheek that I can't tell if it's a bruise or just her blushing for some reason. Given everything that went down in like, Chapter 8 or 9 or so, it feels like kind of a weird implication, but given no hitting was directly shown, I'm wondering if the translation is off or something.

Iori punched Minami. Minami like, directly says so. Iori actually hits Minami pretty often, people here on the forums complain about it all the time. The author doesn't seem to recognize the disconnect between the "This person is from an abusive household" backstory and the "people punch each other for slapstick" humor.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ColdGoldLazarus posted:

There's no mistranslation. Iori punched Minami offscreen for suggesting it wasn't a good idea to go out with her. She has a bruise near the mouth.

What's not clear there?

last edited at Aug 26, 2022 2:31AM

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Iori punched Minami. Minami like, directly says so. Iori actually hits Minami pretty often, people here on the forums complain about it all the time. The author doesn't seem to recognize the disconnect between the "This person is from an abusive household" backstory and the "people punch each other for slapstick" humor.

Ahhhhhh. Oh dear, I guess I should brace myself for the rest of this, then ^^;

There's no mistranslation. Iori punched Minami offscreen for suggesting it wasn't a good idea to go out with her. She has a bruise near the mouth.

What's not clear there?

Ah, so it was offscreen. I guess that would be the occam's razor reading, but between it being offscreen and the context abuse had already been brought up previously, I thought I must have been missing something or the dialogue was off somehow, or any other interpretation that would line up better. What Heavensrun said about the author just being weird about that in general, makes it make a bit more sense now, though.

joined Jul 21, 2020

It would be actually better if "they do it for slapstick, don't take it seriously" was the simple explanation, and they left it at that, without delving into other issues.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It would be actually better if "they do it for slapstick, don't take it seriously" was the simple explanation, and they left it at that, without delving into other issues.

OR go the other way and make it clear that this behavior is part of a consensual kink relationship, as opposed to a person getting hit because they’ve made their partner angry, i.e., abuse.

Hell, a really imaginative author might theoretically be able to show a clear difference between the real domestic abuse Minami suffered and submissive physical horseplay with her lover (I don’t quite know how, but then I’m not a brilliant author). But this story has not been that.

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Chapter 23's punch also seemed kinda sketchy, but I was able to roll with it with the understanding the author is weird about this stuff, but what the actual fuck is Chapter 32. I don't like to get all persnickety about perfect morality in fiction and stuff, but the presentation here was just, kinda uncomfortable. All the girls saying Minami should break up with someone for beating her up are right, honestly. The fact that Iori didn't even apologize at the end and demanded one from Minami... Kinda making me hope these two are on the path to a breakup, instead of just keeping going with this dynamic.

What's worse is that Minami expressed some valid concerns about her relationships, and Iori's response was to get violent, instead of, idunno, hugging her or something? So much for her being a safe haven in comparison to Shizuku.

At least with Saori and Shizuku, it feels like both are equally capable of dishing out and taking the violence; doesn't make it a perfect dynamic but it feels like, balanced at the very least? With Iori and Minami, the age gap was one thing, but the abuse from the older party suddenly throws that into question too. Eurgh. Think I'm gonna take a break from reading this for a bit.

last edited at Aug 28, 2022 8:11AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Chapter 23's punch also seemed kinda sketchy, but I was able to roll with it with the understanding the author is weird about this stuff, but what the actual fuck is Chapter 32. I don't like to get all persnickety about perfect morality in fiction and stuff, but the presentation here was just, kinda uncomfortable. All the girls saying Minami should break up with someone for beating her up are right, honestly. The fact that Iori didn't even apologize at the end and demanded one from Minami... Kinda making me hope these two are on the path to a breakup, instead of just keeping going with this dynamic.

What's worse is that Minami expressed some valid concerns about her relationships, and Iori's response was to get violent, instead of, idunno, hugging her or something? So much for her being a safe haven in comparison to Shizuku.

At least with Saori and Shizuku, it feels like both are equally capable of dishing out and taking the violence; doesn't make it a perfect dynamic but it feels like, balanced at the very least? With Iori and Minami, the age gap was one thing, but the abuse from the older party suddenly throws that into question too. Eurgh. Think I'm gonna take a break from reading this for a bit.

Right—Saori and Shizuku seem to have decided that their relationship is a fight game, so fine, that’s how they roll.

Iori and Minami are generally pretty cute, even with the non-physical parts where Iori is a bit pissy, like, “You dummy—don’t you know how much I love you?”

But the “Iori is a safe haven from physical abuse for Minami, except when she gets mad and hits her” part is just, “WTF, author?”

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I'm not sure why you'd eat the one becoming a zombie, wouldn't you rather become a zombie first?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm not sure why you'd eat the one becoming a zombie, wouldn't you rather become a zombie first?

Cause it's an error, i checked the french translation and somehow here they change sense for some reason (mistake ?).

In french Saori said she would let Shizuku bite her so they can be zombies together more precisely "so we can stay together" and in page 4, it's "She let me ate her with a smile".

C67
joined Aug 19, 2021

"I think I'd rather eat you so we could become zombies together"

Peak romanticism

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Cause it's an error, i checked the french translation and somehow here they change sense for some reason (mistake ?).

In french Saori said she would let Shizuku bite her so they can be zombies together more precisely "so we can stay together" and in page 4, it's "She let me ate her with a smile".

Makes more sense. I'm not sure what I expected, given the translator's usual quality.

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

The siscon runs in the blood..

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Oh hey a new profile icon haha

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

How the turntables

joined Apr 16, 2022

I'm going with Windyfall's translation, if anything because it's funnier (and I can really picture Saori doing it, it's so fitting).

Tumblr_338965de880627681ecd916bc458a939_84d98ad7_500%20(1)-min
joined Feb 4, 2022

Would die for Saori and Shizuku, they are too hilarious together xD

Also, Shizuku letting Saori borrow her clothes?! so cute.

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

cute zombie couple

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

I'm going with Windyfall's translation, if anything because it's funnier (and I can really picture Saori doing it, it's so fitting).

I prefer Windyfall's translation too for the same reason.

I looked up the raws and the original dialogue is:
Shizuku: "もし私がゾンビになったらお前が真っ先に殺してくれそうだな"
If I became a zombie, You'd kill me first.
Saori: "殺すより食べて一緒にゾンビになるもん"
(I)* think (I'd) rather eat (you) so we could become zombies together
Shizuku: "あいつは笑いながら食べた"
She ate (me) while smiling.
* The () are to indicate what was inferred based on context.

I think the discrepancy between the French and English translation is because in Saori's dialogue both the subject and the object is inferred from context (which Japanese tends to do), so I would actually say Windyfall's translation is more accurate to the original dialogue even if that isn't how people normally turn into zombies. Since this is Saori, this is way more her type of cute romance, since she likes to show her overwhelming dominance and all.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Makes more sense. I'm not sure what I expected, given the translator's usual quality.

I checked the original too, and Windyfall's translation is accurate.

The French translator probably "fixed" the dialogue for it to make more sense, but it's really:

• Saori says she would eat Shizuku, so they can be zombies together
  • Shizuku dreams that she had become a zombie and that Saori ate her while smiling.

"eating her" sounds odd, because it's not how you usually get zombified, but it's because you're supposed to run away from zombies. Saori would seek out Shizuku and "eat" some part of her to become a zombie (and not wait passively to be biten).

So this time, Windyfall is correct.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The French translator probably "fixed" the dialogue for it to make more sense, but it's really:

• Shizuku dreams that she had become a zombie and that Saori ate her while smiling.

"eating her" sounds odd, because it's not how you usually get zombified, but it's because you're supposed to run away from zombies. Saori would seek out Shizuku and "eat" some part of her to become a zombie (and not wait passively to be biten).

I stick with the one making sense.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

The problem is that it changes completely the dynamics of the relationship.

It's Shizuku's dream. That Saori would let Shizuku eat her with a smile doesn't make sense.

It's Shizuku who gets eaten by Saori and "doesn't feel that bad" about it.

On a symbolic level, it says it all about their relationship.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The problem is that it changes completely the dynamics of the relationship.

It's Shizuku's dream. That Saori would let Shizuku eat her with a smile doesn't make sense.

It's Shizuku who gets eaten by Saori and "doesn't feel that bad" about it.

On a symbolic level, it says it all about their relationship.

You talk to someone who don't understand dynamic and honestly this chapter will probably never been referenced again by the character so.
Also i prefer logic over power dynamic for that specific situation.

To reply you must either login or sign up.