Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

The old, friends untimely appearance, cliche. It's ruined so many yuri dates and intimate moments,

joined May 29, 2021

Wow, an honest to goodness "confession getting ruined by someone else interrupting" moment. That's SUCH a cliche you almost never see it anymore. I'm almost impressed.

last edited at Aug 27, 2022 8:05PM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Kinda hope they pull a fast one on us with Yuzu having heard her loud and clear despite the interrupt

last edited at Aug 27, 2022 8:14PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Yeah, not too fond of the cliché here, though I'd have been surprised if we had gotten somewhere so soon. No, those two lovebirds will keep tiptoeing around each other for at least one additional volume (so another 7 chapters+ I'd say).

This exchange IMO provides further evidence that Yuzu is also romantically fond of Minami and has realized it, but is a bit better/more used to downplaying/hiding it.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, hangups like this chapter's cliché "pump the brakes" moment notwithstanding it's still gonna be fun watching those two dorks for a while.

last edited at Aug 28, 2022 7:15AM

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

That's all fine and good, but why is it that the friend she consults all the time looks sus?

Wdym by that ahaha

I think they mean just in general, like there's some kind of really subtle hinting that she likes Minami herself
it might just be us being paranoid from previous reads, but a specific example would be the last panel of this page

the author didn't have to make her look so ominous while asking that question, but they did, which gives us some questions about the friend

Mm good point, didn’t notice the ominousness… we'll see what happens but in my opinion, this is reading too much into it a bit

last edited at Aug 27, 2022 9:08PM

joined Oct 15, 2020

Adorable. We need Moar!
Thanks Translator-sama s~<3

Alan%20pequeno
joined Jun 20, 2022

Well the usual confession getting interrupted is here, but I guess that's fine since it means we get to see more of them. The slower the burn, the better hehe

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I thought it was cliché, but the quiet ones really are wild. Minami watch out, Yuzu is going straight for Uranus

Just checking out Uranus and Neptune with your bestie. Nothing gay about that

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

I want Angst for this one

joined Jun 11, 2016

That's all fine and good, but why is it that the friend she consults all the time looks sus?

I think you guys are projecting your insecurities of past stories onto this one. So far the friend looks very supportive of her getting with Yuzu.

I want Angst for this one

On one hand, Angst + Childhood friends is my favorite type of story; on the other hand, these two are just so freaking adorable I don't want anything sad/angsty happen to them so yeah, I'm super torn lol

joined Jul 29, 2022

I think plot twist will be Yuzu is 100% lesbian that why she turned him down i think from chapter 2

joined Apr 14, 2022

It's amazing how quickly a manga can go from "this is one of my favourite running manga" to "I'm so, so tired". The Heisei era called, and it wants its awful trope back.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This exchange IMO provides further evidence that Yuzu is also romantically fond of Minami and has realized it, but is a bit better/more used to downplaying/hiding it.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, hangups like this chapter's cliché "pump the brakes" moment notwithstanding it's still gonna be fun watching those two dorks for a while.

I still firmly believe that Yuzu is absolutely normal.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I thought this manga was purposely all about abusing overplayed tropes

joined Jan 11, 2014

I thought this manga was purposely all about abusing overplayed tropes

Don’t be mislead. The next will chapter begin with her chadly confessing anyways.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I still firmly believe that Yuzu is absolutely normal.

I don't know if that would be hilarious or terrifying.

joined Feb 1, 2021

It's kind of funny. Minami going from "hmm, what is this mysterious feeling I have about my childhood friend" to "I will marry her!" in under three chapters is hilarious and kind of refreshing, but also sets such breakneck expectations for the story's pace that every impediment to the relationship that would normally slip in without notice instead sticks out like a sore thumb.

joined Aug 29, 2019

It's kind of funny. Minami going from "hmm, what is this mysterious feeling I have about my childhood friend" to "I will marry her!" in under three chapters is hilarious and kind of refreshing, but also sets such breakneck expectations for the story's pace that every impediment to the relationship that would normally slip in without notice instead sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think the story's set up as "not getting anywhere" from the get-go. I mean, the constant "conveniently inconvenient" events that prevented progress between our lead characters in Can't Defy The Lonely Girl almost turned me off that series for a while before it shifted gears and is now slowly progressing a developing relationship.
This here is starting to seem more like it'll be silly antics of a girl trying to confess and being foiled at every turn and that'll be the point of the manga. Not sure if I'll be able to thoroughly enjoy it if that's the case, though the overall adorableness and great artstyle will carry it a good bit for me.

last edited at Aug 28, 2022 5:05PM

15252ff598a5a0e500bf6a6f8e5e5f80
joined Apr 22, 2022

AHHHHHH NOOOOO

joined Apr 14, 2022

I mean, the constant "conveniently inconvenient" events that prevented progress between our lead characters in Can't Defy The Lonely Girl almost turned me off that series for a while before it shifted gears and is now slowly progressing a developing relationship.

I might be biased since ロンカル is one of my all-time favourites, but I never understood the complaints about it. They literally kiss in the first chapter, steadily making progress until they officially become girlfriends. And then the manga continues! Turns out it's possible to tell a story about two girls being in a relationship! It is an incredibly refreshing change of pace from every other mangaka who are so fundamentally incapable of writing anything other than "will they won't they" that they resort to incredibly forced cliches, not because the cliche makes logical sense or contributes positively to the story in any way but because they need to stall at all costs, as though their very life depends upon never having to write about girlfriends.

Edit: I just re-read the first volume of ロンガル to see if there was anything I was forgetting. Nope, still just as good as I remember. Chapter 1, they kiss. Chapter 2, they go on an arcade date and Ayaka starts getting expectations. Chapter 3, they hold hands, cuddle and sleep together. Chapter 4, they make out a bunch, Ayaka can't stop thinking about Sora, and gets her a gift. Chapter 5, amusement park date and Ayaka is in deep introspection over her feelings for Sora. No "convienently inconvenient events" at all, let alone "constant". Just tons of gay goodness while Ayaka realises she is, in fact, gay AF.

Edit 2: Reading volume 2, and now it's more like "constant convienently convienent events". A bit heavy on the tropes, but they're all pushing Ayaka forward on her baby gay growth, not artificially stalling the natural development of their relationship. While I'm still thoroughly confused by the comparison/criticism, I'm enjoying this excuse to re-read.

last edited at Aug 29, 2022 4:31AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

I think it's too early to assume Minami is just going to back off now. Normally when a manga pulls this "confession gets conveniently interrupted" move, the character explicitly loses heart and gives up before the chapter ends (see even chapter 3 of this manga, when Minami's "suki" was misunderstood). Here, though, it happens on the last page, and the chapter ends on a cliffhanger. This means that the current subplot has not ended -- and considering these are the two girls with a childhood marriage promise, they could actually provide an opportunity for Minami to make herself clearly understood this time.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I might be biased since ロンカル is one of my all-time favourites, but I never understood the complaints about it. They literally kiss in the first chapter, steadily making progress until they officially become girlfriends. And then the manga continues! Turns out it's possible to tell a story about two girls being in a relationship! It is an incredibly refreshing change of pace from every other mangaka who are so fundamentally incapable of writing anything other than "will they won't they" that they resort to incredibly forced cliches, not because the cliche makes logical sense or contributes positively to the story in any way but because they need to stall at all costs, as though their very life depends upon never having to write about girlfriends.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's a reason why I kept up with it despite the frustrations. I think it's mainly the stretch between chapter 10 and 16 that felt like they dragged on in that way. I particularly remember being annoyed by chapter 12's buzzkill. The sudden appearance of the Momster at the end of the volume also didn't exactly inspire confidence. I guess if one were to read it after the fact/in one go it's not as big a grievance, but if you're reading it one chapter per month and these buzzkills keep happening, it gets tedious.
But yes, the turning point after that made it into one of the most enjoyable series I'm currently following, exactly because Kashikaze-sensei managed to make the move from "will they won't they" to "so we're a couple now, huh?" and just went with it.

joined Apr 14, 2022

Oh don't get me wrong, there's a reason why I kept up with it despite the frustrations. I think it's mainly the stretch between chapter 10 and 16 that felt like they dragged on in that way. I particularly remember being annoyed by chapter 12's buzzkill

Ch. 10 is fair, I guess. I didn't mind it myself since I thought it was cute how hopeless Ayaka was, and it wasn't some super contrived interruption, at least (like having friends in the city randomly walk by the planeterium, right as they exit it, calling out at the exact moment if confession ......) But I can see how that one could be annoying.

Ch. 12 though?? She still uses her name in a heartwarming scene like 4 pages later. The final page of the chapter ends perfectly. Admittedly, given that's the case, I don't know what the point of the interruption even was though lol

I was reading since Ch1 and it's been my most-anticipated release ever since, so I can't agree that it's just a binge thing. It was easy for me to cut a lot of slack because they were practically a couple since the start and by chapter 10 they had already done far more Acts of Gay than most yuri, so it wasn't really that big of a deal to me that the idiot couple didn't manage to put a label on it immediately.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Admittedly, given that's the case, I don't know what the point of the interruption even was though lol

I think that pointlessness may have contributed to that moment bothering me more than it should have :D

I was reading since Ch1 and it's been my most-anticipated release ever since, so I can't agree that it's just a binge thing. It was easy for me to cut a lot of slack because they were practically a couple since the start and by chapter 10 they had already done far more Acts of Gay than most yuri, so it wasn't really that big of a deal to me that the idiot couple didn't manage to put a label on it immediately.

My perspective may have been somewhat distorted, given that only a few months earlier the greatest Yuri opus to date (fite me) had come to a close, which likewise basically started with them as a couple from chapter one but did the "wait, am I actually gay for her as well?" part just that much better for me.
Took longer to get through it, too. Me only starting to read that series after the Anime had ended (so the Manga was already around chapter 33 or so I think) may have helped as well, to be fair. I mean, I did read chapter 42 at work as soon as it released (obviously not using company WiFi :D)
I guess that's a possible reason why I eventually wasn't being as generous with it anymore. But remember, I did stick with it and love it to this day. It's not like we're diametrically opposed as to our perception of the series, it's just that I had some issues with it that you didn't have. Which is something I'm not admonishing, but rather envy - I would certainly not mind having enjoyed it as much at that time as you did.

Also look at us discussing not one but now even two other series in this thread and getting way off topic.

joined Apr 14, 2022

the greatest Yuri opus to date (fite me)

Counterpoint: Madoka Magica

For some reason I actually didn't read YagaKimi until quite late, I think well into 2020 or maybe it was even 2021. I prefer ロンガル because it gives me more diabetes, though. I'm a sucker for low-drama wholesome gays. I see where you're coming from now, at least. The variety of human perspective sure is interesting~

Also look at us discussing not one but now even two other series in this thread and getting way off topic.

Such is the fate of a manga that torments its readers with this trope!

To reply you must either login or sign up.