Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

Raven%20dialogue%202%20dynasty
joined Jul 23, 2021

And thats the vol 2 finale! Man having manga art sure adds a lot to the horror. Between this release and the last one I blasted through 1-6 of the LN's but as a manga its still top notch.

joined Jun 5, 2018

Yes, I can see now, that sowaro is completely nuts!

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I was trying to figure out what seemed so off about Sorawo through half the hospital scene.
It was the glasses.

I think here, instead of getting a side view on the first panel, it would be more shocking/intimidating to have Satsuki's face thrown at us, from Sorawo's point of view (and then show that she had crouched right next to Sorawo's face). But they did use that two pages later, so I'm not sure how they could have worked it out.

Yes, I can see now, that sowaro is completely nuts!

Yeah well, nothing new here XD
I'm honestly glad she finally shared some of her feelings though (even if the more she does that the more it confirms how nuts she truly is lol)

joined Dec 13, 2020

With this, a new book starts, right? Yay!
Having read both, I still am firmly on the side that the manga is better than the novels.

joined Oct 20, 2020

I love the end of this file, with them having to be in side-by-side beds because they were holding hands and couldn't be separated. Maybe the chapter needs a warning tag for all that handholding?

And, of course, Sorawo getting her feelings across perhaps more than she realizes

Next chapter starts vol three of the novels.

Wherein Sorawo asks herself the all important question: What's the deal with Toriko and her two moms?

last edited at Mar 27, 2022 8:54PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Having read both, I still am firmly on the side that the manga is better than the novels.

I kinda feel like the manga has too much text crammed in each page tbh. It's understandable, since it's trying to fit in all the dialogue and Sorawo's thoughts (instead of removing them, like the horrible mess that was the anime adaptation), but it's still not my favourite narrative style when it comes to manga. I admit that there were scenes that amplified the horror, but there were also others where I felt like it couldn't really capture the same feeling that the —often more vague— novel descriptions could invoke in my imagination. And, well, I just looooove Sorawo's narration way too much to not prefer the novel hahaha

joined Jun 11, 2021

anyone else realizing right now that at the pace of 1 chapter a month its gonna take roughly 15 years for the manga to catch up to volume 8 of the light novels
i have a feeling its going to start getting very condensed or just randomly axed at some point

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

^ i dunno, the Toradora manga adaptation is still being published to this day, even though the Toradora LN series ended back in like, 2009 i think? So as long as the manga adaptation stays profitable, they could continue making it until it adapts everything, even if that means it’ll outlive the LN significantly. On the other hand, if sales are bad it could be axed tomorrow, and we’ll never see the later parts of the LN illustrated. That’s capitalism, unfortunately.

joined Mar 23, 2022

I like how the artist create those unique panels, it really gives the vibe of them in another world.kudos to the artist! also to the author. can't realllllly wait for the most exciting part of the story.*v*.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm happy that at least I got to see vol. 2 in manga form, even if we don't know whether it will be adapted to completion

last edited at Mar 28, 2022 9:59AM

joined Oct 20, 2020

If they don't want to adapt to completion, stopping at the end of vol 4 would be pretty solid. End of vol 3 isn't bad either; it might be my favorite ending scene in all of vol 1-6.

I just hope it doesn't get randomly axed mid volume or mid file.

joined May 9, 2017

Both the manga and the light novel seem to make solid sales. The novel is even available in audiobook, which isn't that common for light novel. So I don't think we need to worry about that. I'd be more worried about the mangaka wanting to work on something else after so many years.

For those who can understand japanese, I highly recommend the audiobook version as well. The main cast is fantastic (different from the anime but better imo). The voice actresses convey the feelings of the protagonists very well. Too bad all male characters are voiced by female as well ... It makes it a bit confusing at time.

last edited at Mar 31, 2022 4:06PM

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

New chapter! Even if Yamanoke presence is probably the weakest story in volume 3, that’s only comparatively. It’s still really fun, and the start of the series getting more explicitly gay.

last edited at May 7, 2022 12:19AM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I like that Kozakura is showing more evidence that she cares about Sorawo and Toriko, despite how annoyed they tend to make her.

On the other hand, while I understand Sorawo's fear that Toriko would blindly head deep into the Otherside if she knew there'd been a sighting of Satsuki, it really feels to me that Sorawo's refusal to speak up comes from a place of jealousy. Worse, it leaves everyone except her with incomplete information: perhaps Toriko would be more cautious if she knew Satsuki was involved in trying to kill them.

last edited at May 7, 2022 3:05AM

joined Mar 23, 2022

super excited for the gay moments incommming.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

The box birds ate their fear, right? I can't imagine what else it would be and they're more preoccupied with the other side and more confident now, which feels like it's a way to make them more vulnerable.

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

The box birds ate their fear, right? I can't imagine what else it would be and they're more preoccupied with the other side and more confident now, which feels like it's a way to make them more vulnerable.

Well, they’re still going to be very afraid in the future, so I kind’ve doubt that.

A9-ava
joined Apr 7, 2022

Ah here it is, one of my favourite stories! I really like how the observation deck was described in the novel, so I'm really looking forward to seeing its manga version.

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Well, they’re still going to be very afraid in the future, so I kind’ve doubt that.

I definitely think it was tearing out fundamental metaphysical pieces of who and what they are, whether it be mind or soul, we don't really know. There is certainly an argument that the Otherside is altering their minds. Sarawo has alluded to such before. I don't think it is so much their fear that is missing but rather their sense of caution and self-preservation.

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I love whenever Sorawo explains her traumatic backstory to someone while playing it off like it's no big deal, and they just stare at her slack-jawed and horrified.

The Yamanoke is so far the only monster I've found scarier in the manga than the novels. Described it just sounds silly, but I'll be seeing that panel in my nightmares tonight. I think it's mostly the eyes?

Screenshot%202022-06-12%20103716[[[
joined May 22, 2022

I'm super excited that the manga's finally at volume 3 of the LN!! The first 2 volumes are good, but things get a lot more interesting (and a lot gayer) from from here on out. I love how things are shopping up!

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Volume 7 of the novel came out in English yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The gayest one yet.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Volume 7 of the novel came out in English yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The gayest one yet.

Ahhh don't remind me!!!
I'm waiting for the Omnibus 3 I've ordered to be delivered, so that I can reread 5 and 6 before moving on to vol. 7 and the wait is killing me...
(I'm also kinda in the middle of university exams... but that wouldn't stop me lol)

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Yes, got it on Kobo Reader - I also really enjoyed it.

Screenshot%202022-06-12%20103716[[[
joined May 22, 2022

Volume 7 was so good!!! Sorawo got so much character development, and the whole volume was so, so gay. The bite! The kiss! The anniversary dinner! Confidant Sorawo Reversal! It feels like things are finally moving beyond just affection, and they're actually getting into a real relationship. Ugh, I love these girls so much. This is my new favorite volume.

Also, does anyone else think the quality of the translation has been going up? Japanese -> English is never going to be perfect, but the language in this one felt very natural, especially compared to the first couple books.

last edited at Jun 12, 2022 12:15PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.