Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

I do not get the Dynasty readers’ concentration on age gaps among grown people who are out of school. Sure, age differences affect the details of how relationships work (which is one of the reasons authors deploy them), but if there’s no official power differential (teacher-student, boss-employee), what real difference does an age gap make?

There's often at least in experience of relationships.

Well, sure, that’s what I mean—age differences become another variable for the author to play around with.

And I know in Japanese culture there’s the whole “seniority/respect” thing going on, so that people often try to find out other people’s ages for “hierarchy” purposes.

But yeah, ethically 26-19 is basically irrelevant.

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 10:08AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Blastaar posted:

I do not get the Dynasty readers’ concentration on age gaps among grown people who are out of school. Sure, age differences affect the details of how relationships work (which is one of the reasons authors deploy them), but if there’s no official power differential (teacher-student, boss-employee), what real difference does an age gap make?

Well, sure, that’s what I mean—age differences become another variable for the author to play around with.

And I know in Japanese culture there’s the whole “seniority/respect” thing going on, so that people often try to find out other people’s ages for “hierarchy” purposes.

I'm not sure the author was going for anything ethically gray here, just a difference in maturity and experience.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

I'm not sure the author was going for anything ethically gray here, just a difference in maturity and experience.

Right—I was talking about readers’ responses to this sort of thing (only somewhat true in this particular case), not the author’s intent.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Not everyone agrees! A bunch of my college friends were creeped out when a 26 year old guy was dating an 18 year old freshman we knew.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Not everyone agrees! A bunch of my college friends were creeped out when a 26 year old guy was dating an 18 year old freshman we knew.

That's more a social stigma (maybe) than an ethical dilemma. At least in my opinion.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That's more a social stigma (maybe) than an ethical dilemma. At least in my opinion.

Right. The question would be “creeped out” based on what, exactly? Personalities of individuals, sure—creeps do exist—but as a principle?

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 7:42PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

They did have grudges against that older guy in particular, but I think the age gap in itself was a problem for them too.

By the common "half + 7" rule, 26 should date 13+7 = 20 or older.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

^ What bullshit is this?

Why should the ages of people in relationships be of any concern for anybody else.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

^ What bullshit is this?

Why should the ages of people in relationships be of any concern for anybody else.

The Half + 7 rule is a sociocultural norm that has been around for at least a century if not more; though it’s primarily used as a reference for het relations with an older male partner to determine the ideal age of a female partner. It’s got some ~interesting~ history. Safe to say though that the age of people in relationships has often been a concern of the people outside of the relationship. Prime reasonings are due to instances of pedophilia, grooming, and, on the opposite spectrum, deathbed marriages. Outside observers have had ethical and legal reasons and sometimes requirements for being involved.

However, none of those situations apply in this story as we are dealing with two consenting same sex adults that haven’t even started dating. Oh and grandma approves.

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 1:06AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think it's because 18 is still in the "teens", even though they are by law considered adults.

From 20 and on, people are a lot less concerned.

Someone 30 dating a 20yo wouldn't raise much brows I think. And as both their age progresses, a 10 years difference becomes less and less relevant anyway.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

luckiest woman on earth

joined May 1, 2015

Introducing the wife to my friends chapter.
Can't wait to see what happens next.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

luckiest woman on earth

honestly, she's living the best life

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Nice misleader on pages 19-20.
I def thought something bad and scary was about to happen, haha.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

luckiest woman on earth

"God... You looked to me and smiled..."

joined Mar 23, 2022

that feeling when you meet and greet your idol.heaven at it's best

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

that feeling when you meet and greet your idol.heaven at it's best

She's getting to join her idols at karaoke. She's transcended heaven at this point!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

RIP Hatomori san, cause of death: karaoke

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

I laughed, but she should have noticed the building was a karaoke.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Truck-kun
kidnapping
surprise karaoke with old band

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

I was confused for a sec... lol

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Meeting your idols and doing karaoke with them? That’s illegal!! I wish I were that lucky... Oh well, handshake events shall do...

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

RIP Hatomori san, cause of death: karaoke

she lived a good life. will be greatly missed.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

luckiest woman on earth

"God... You looked to me and smiled..."

"Strike me down,and I will become more powerful then you can possibly imagine..."

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

hahaha, Hatomori - that face says it all
interesting chapter, I somehow kept having a feeling that something bad was bound to happen, then came these last pages... and now I feel like the drama's been postponed to the next chapter instead.. what kinda relationship did Miyako and Ruri have I wonder... would Asako get her 2nd approval to take care of Miyako now? looking forward to the conclusion of the 2nd volume

To reply you must either login or sign up.