Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

joined Aug 17, 2021

I watched this anime like three years ago, and I remember basically having a breakdown after the ending. But I feel like it was cathartic for me back then. The manga didn't hurt even half as much, as the anime did, but I still felt kind of a catharsis. I'm glad I finally read this manga to the end. From the very few anime I've watched in my life, this one has a special place in my heart.

joined Dec 28, 2020

One of the saddest endings ngl (༎ຶ⌑༎ຶ)

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

While this manga has it's flaws (What manga doesn't?) and some problematic stuff (Again. What manga doesn't?) it was a pretty good one. I don't think the author ever intended for the viewers to see Sato or anyone as 'In the right'. It's a story aobut some broken people making bad choices and trying to justify said bad choices.

Ultimately, I think it was a pretty good story. Hopefully Shio can recover and have a chance for a normal life.It might be too late for Asahi, but I can hope he has a happy ending, too.

joined Nov 23, 2021

can someone sum up what happened? I read 3 chapters because I didn't like it that much, but I'm curious to know what happened in the end. I also read the last chapter but i didn´t understand anything.

joined Dec 7, 2021

can someone sum up what happened? I read 3 chapters because I didn't like it that much, but I'm curious to know what happened in the end. I also read the last chapter but i didn´t understand anything.

Pink girl sees lolis brother who is looking for her.
Best friend is suspicious of pink girl for never seeing her lover who she thinks is a boy.

Pink girl takes friend to see crazy aunt.
Friend is put off.
Friend sees and takes photo of pink girl and loli and gets murdered.

They try to run away but brother catches on they run to roof top were they jump only loli survives and is fucked up and sees pink girl everywhere.

last edited at Dec 8, 2021 1:38PM by OrangePekoe

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

I've seen this so many times and watch this so many times, so don't mind me. I'm just here to breathe since most of the comments here are more acceptable than on the anime sites full of karens and saints.

joined May 24, 2014

Most wonderful uplifting ending ever!

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Nice epiloge. We got to read her final thoughts

last edited at Apr 13, 2022 11:08PM

Hikamaru%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

Satou did nothing wrong. Satou x Shio for life.

In a way she really did nothing wrong. The way she is depicted it is made for her to be the best person for Shio to be with. The options are:
- An abusive father
-A unstable mother
-A brother who is bandaged up sleeping on couches
-A teenage boy with a creepy obsession over her
- The pretty high school girl who gives her a nice apartment to live in and constantly shown with flowers in her background
Also iirc most of Sato's violent scenes are taken care of offscreen except Shoko which is supposed to be the first true mistake she made.

joined Nov 11, 2010

Feels like the "Sato" bonus chapter was written specifically to rebuff the "maternal love" interpretation of Sato's feelings for Shio, which I guess I appreciate. Happy Sugar Life is explicit yuri.

Coming back to the series after 2-3 years though, it has a lot of unnecessary het while Kitanai Kimi ga Ichiban Kawaii has superceded it as the better tragedy. Even if Satou and Shio couldn't have a happy (sugar) life, there would've been nothing wrong with giving them a happy (sugar) death. I don't exactly dislike the actual ending but Kitakawa's just looks better in comparison.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Also iirc most of Sato's violent scenes are taken care of offscreen except Shoko which is supposed to be the first true mistake she made.

And that mistake can be interpreted as a “fight or flight” response from satou, who was terrified of losing her peaceful life with shio

Any violence satou commits in the series is a response to shio being in danger. 1) the painter whose apartment they lived in tried choking shio 2) the creepy stalker teacher who was jealous of and intended to harm satou’s “boyfriend.” 3) the random dude’s whose eyes satou gouged out were about to assault shio 4) shouko betrayed their friendship by taking that picture

last edited at Apr 14, 2022 2:27AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

I regret this didn't back my theory that Sato killed her parents

joined Apr 29, 2019

people defending Sato are disturbing

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Happy Sugar Life falls into that odd category of 'It's interesting and well done' but I don't like it. Basically.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I'll defend her. We don't know each other so who cares. Besides, it's only fiction. Getting so worked up and judging other people over it is weird itself.¯_(ツ)_/¯

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Happy Sugar Life falls into that odd category of 'It's interesting and well done' but I don't like it. Basically.

I may be similar, although for me "liking it" is neither here nor there. Overall it's, as someone said above, "not my cup of tea," but it's definitely interesting. And what I find most interesting is the mix of fluffy cuteness (almost entirely in the Sato/Shio scenes) and the dire atmosphere in almost every other aspect of the story. So readers almost inevitably end up starting out rooting for the MCs, then everyone has to decide if and when Sato's actions go beyond the boundaries of what they're willing to accept.

So it's a bit touching as well as a bit hilarious watching pro-MC readers as they end up tying themselves in moral and logical knots trying to prove that what Sato does is "really OK," at least compared to other things going on in the series. (Note: none of what Sato does is "really OK" in any kind of real-life sense.) And the same goes for most everyone else as they decide that some murders/mutilations may be OK, but some other heinous actions are really beyond the pale.

As a kind of cognitive/moral trap for readers, this really is a remarkable achievement (and Sato and Chio really are quite adorable, as long as you don't call the overall situation to mind).

It really would have been straightforward enough for the author to have toned everything down so as to make Sato a much more sympathetic character and to make a Sato/Chio happy ending much more within the realm of possibility. That would have been a much less interesting story, however.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

sees notification for HSL

Welcome back to the dead lesbians club. Why are you looking at me like that? Did you honestly think you could leave?

last edited at Apr 14, 2022 2:45PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I can't... Not again... I'm not... Strong enough

Img_0046
joined Mar 20, 2015

Sato the GOAT all my homies love Sato!!

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'm pretty sure we released all this 2 years ago, didn't realize it never got posted to Dynasty. The worst thing about this series was the baffling variety of extras, epilogues, and miscellaneous stuff that came out after it ended. The final volume had some extra chapters, the blu-ray releases of the anime included extra chapters, there were character polls in the magazine that lead to even more post-serialization releases, and just so much junk that it was impossible to keep track of it all. I think there are even more that we never translated.

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

cope and seethe

Yeah
joined Apr 14, 2021

i cant believe rhis manga/anime still makes me depressed no matter how many times i come back to watch or read it

joined Oct 25, 2010

These poor characters are the saddest, tragic, and trashed that I have ever seen! At times, I want to hold each one close pour much love into their souls and hearts! I want them to know we are spiritually connected and related to each other, that no one is alone! But, I guess this is a superbly tragic story with no true love or joy anywhere! I cry a lot with this story!

joined Oct 25, 2010

These poor characters are the saddest, tragic, and trashed that I have ever seen! At times, I want to hold each one close pour much love into their souls and hearts! I want them to know we are spiritually connected and related to each other, that no one is alone! But, I guess this is a superbly tragic story with no true love or joy anywhere! I cry a lot with this story!

joined Oct 25, 2010

Shouko still loves Sato-Chan even now! I wouldn’t be surprised if Shouko met Satou at the entry to their afterlife! She has forgiven Satou and they live in a much more magical and loving world!

last edited at Aug 31, 2023 10:02PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.