Forum › My Younger Senpai discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It is not over...after 20 chapters? Chapter 20 will be a perfect place to end it. Now we have a OL, a College student, and a high school students, having an unequal throple.

Nobody here is an OL. "Sasaki" is a waitress. "OL" is short for "Office Lady".

Img_20220130_193622_369-min
joined Feb 11, 2021

Bruhhhh, I hate polyamory...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

lGrub posted:

Bruhhhh, I hate polyamory...

Now, now... Polyamory is something perfectly normal, if not easily achieved.

And it's not Polyamory: there's really only two persons here.

Also:

"You're from the future?"
"Cool beans, let's go out"

(not: "let's call the hospital to get your head checked" ?)

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 4:37AM

FreedomandJustice
joined Jun 16, 2020
  • 1000 points to this manga
Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

And it's not Polyamory: there's really only two persons here.

That... makes my head hurt because the logic... is kinda sound...

What is this dark sorcery?!? (and can I get more of it)

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

It is not over...after 20 chapters? Chapter 20 will be a perfect place to end it. Now we have a OL, a College student, and a high school students, having an unequal throple.

Nobody here is an OL. "Sasaki" is a waitress. "OL" is short for "Office Lady".

She was an OL before the timeslip.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Lol, I'm loving these debates in the comments "are they the same person or not" when the answer is obviously both. At one point, they were one, then they weren't. It's selfcest and it's poly.

Essay time: If you make two items, and in this hypothetical you can make them perfectly identical down to the exact amount of atoms and energy stored in them, are they the same item? If your answer is "no" because they are different by being two items and not one, let me say that you don't have the same atoms you did 10 years ago but that was distinctly you, correct? (Hello, Ship Of Theseus)

If you say yes, I'll tell you no because there is two of them, and by existing in separate spots in space they receive and experience different energy loads via temperature and kinetic energy impartation and from the very start of their existences they had already diverged even if they were created at literally the same time.

They are the same person, by argument that they shared a common history but now one is different because of the nature of change over time, yet they are also distinct people because they are together but not literally the same object occupying one spot in space and experiencing the exact same thing.

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

I did say poly and self route but I didn't expect the mangaka to actually go for it. Lmao.
Can't wait to see more of it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lol, I'm loving these debates in the comments "are they the same person or not" when the answer is obviously both. At one point, they were one, then they weren't. It's selfcest and it's poly.

Essay time: If you make two items, and in this hypothetical you can make them perfectly identical down to the exact amount of atoms and energy stored in them, are they the same item? If your answer is "no" because they are different by being two items and not one, let me say that you don't have the same atoms you did 10 years ago but that was distinctly you, correct? (Hello, Ship Of Theseus)

If you say yes, I'll tell you no because there is two of them, and by existing in separate spots in space they receive and experience different energy loads via temperature and kinetic energy impartation and from the very start of their existences they had already diverged even if they were created at literally the same time.

They are the same person, by argument that they shared a common history but now one is different because of the nature of change over time, yet they are also distinct people because they are together but not literally the same object occupying one spot in space and experiencing the exact same thing.

Tl;dr: time travel and meeting yourself is bullshit.

(I kid, I kid—but not much.)

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

This is a barely coherent time travel story with an adult constantly sexually harrassing and assaulting a high school girl and we are expected to root for her. Safe to say polyamory really is not that out there compared to the previously mentioned. Also I am rather certain it will not be three way polyamory, if the relationship even lasts and "Sasaki" doesn't get sent back to the future the moment Seto's future is permanently changed and saved. The Nanasawas are entirely focused on Seto, it is almost a semi-harem of the same girl, so selfcest is not really relevant. Then again, this author seems shameless brave enough to add a selfcest aspect to it on top of everything.

Although the quality of the story is expectedly low and the excuses to have the one mandatory ecchi scene per chapter are really forced, I do not feel put off by this manga. It seems sincere in it's hedonistic expression of wish-fullfillment. At the very least there is no doubt that all parties involved are in love and would do anything to be together at this point. I hope Nanasawa the younger should get her kiss already, she's been left out enough.

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 8:04AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

IMO, it'll all end up being a dream she had after fainting.

But then, she'll confess in present time.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is a barely coherent time travel story with an adult constantly sexually harrassing and assaulting a high school girl

The two parts of this statement basically cancel each other out (I don’t mean that you’re being oxymoronic—the story is). (And I’d change “barely coherent” to “incoherent,” like most time travel stories, only more so.)

Nanasawa both is an adult and a high school girl (obviously—we see them right there on the page), but Seto is also both a high-school student and an adult.

One might argue that Seto only will be an adult, but that’s the oxymoron: an entity cannot be in the state that it is and the state that it will be simultaneously—except in fiction.

Nya-chan:

What, and waste all that carefully constructed bullshit by giving a rational explanation?! That would truly be a plot swerve for the ages.

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 8:24AM

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Although the dream ending is a classic, I believe there are reasons why it is unlikely to be used here.
1. The story made a big deal about how much Seto suffered and that Nanasawa the older's motivation was to prevent that bad future. The writing until now does not inspire confidence in the idea that it will have a bittersweet compromise.
2. This can be a stylistic story telling choice, but the fact that we followed different perspectives several times makes it harder to accept that it was all Nanasawa's dream, especially because she doesn't know the scenes that happen without her around. I know that logic is not required in fiction, but it woud feel dissonant nontheless.

That being said, I cannot believe the future will not play a part at all after this point, so my guess is that "Sasaki"'s mind will be sent to the future of the new timeline Nanasawa and she will be together with Seto. Whether she will remember the new events from the timeline and completely meld with her new life or if she will remember only what she herself experienced is a different matter.

This is a barely coherent time travel story with an adult constantly sexually harrassing and assaulting a high school girl

Nanasawa both is an adult and a high school girl (obviously—we see them right there on the page), but Seto is also both a high-school student and an adult.

One might argue that Seto only will be an adult, but that’s the oxymoron: an entity cannot be in the state that it is and the state that it will be simultaneously—except in fiction.

Seto is not a time traveler, physically and mentally she is a high school girl. Future Seto is irrelevant to the matter. And just because Sasaki is molesting her crush while thinking of her adult version we can't delude ourselves the same way (I hope),

I understand that you are making a joke based on the mind-boggling conveniences of time travel, but even within this fictional logic that does simply not apply.

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 8:32AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know that logic is not required in fiction,

Especially this one.

I’m always pleased to see readers put much more thought and careful attention into a story than the author obviously has.

^ My point is not at all to make a joke but to specifically avoid the logical swamps of what constitutes “sexual harassment” in this situation—once you have “the same” person as an adult and an adolescent simultaneously, you’re in a Cloud-Cuckoo-land where logic does not apply.

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 8:38AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The dream ending would at least allow to hand wave the time paradoxes.

Like, if senpai goes out with either of them (or both), then chances are she'll not marry. And maybe she'll become a successful actress...

Parallel worlds/timelines explanation would mean that somewhere, there is a senpai and a Nanasawa who never got together.

A classic would be a hint, at the end, that the time travel might have really happened. And it'll be left as a hanging question.

Anyway, there's no clean solution to time travel plots where you change your past.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Anyway, there's no clean solution to time travel plots where you change your past.

This is the truth. Which is why I am not looking for a clean ending, but rather considering what the best wish fulfillment would be according to the author.

^ My point is not at all to make a joke but to specifically avoid the logical swamps of what constitutes “sexual harassment” in this situation—once you have “the same” person as an adult and an adolescent simultaneously, you’re in a Cloud-Cuckoo-land where logic does not apply.

Even in fiction there are things that are fantastical and things that are relatable. Magic is not real, but magic can follow a logical scientific system that the reader can understand and which should not be contradicted. Similarily time travel is (most likely) not possible and future Nanasawa molesting a past version of her crush is impossible equally. We do not have to understand the time travel, though, to understand the same rules of sexual harrassment apply no matter where Nanasawa came from.

To Seto it is an adult woman making sexual advances on her in an incredibly sleazy and exploitative fashion. I am not judging the moral character of the author or the readers of course. It is just a story and ultimately Seto is the "willing" victim more than not, so the fact that people do not feel appalled is understandable.
That being said, I merely brought it up to point out that someone who is on board with time travel and sexual harrassment/assault of minors in the narrative has little room to be incredulous about polyamory. It is all a matter of prefence I suppose.

last edited at Dec 31, 2021 9:02AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That being said, I merely brought it up to point out that someone who is on board with time travel and sexual harrassment/assault of minors in the narrative has little room to be incredulous about polyamory. It is all a matter of preference I suppose.

Well, yes--the number of the various combinations of "I'm fine with [X] and [Y], but I draw the line at [Z]" readers approaches the infinite.

joined Mar 15, 2015

(laugh) This is the only manga I have ever read where I started reading a chapter, thought I'd hit a time skip, and then realized it was actually a flashback.

Also holy shit, way to blow up the status quo. These girls don't do anything by half measures, do they?

Exactly what happened with me. I clicked on Chapter 20 without noticing Chapter 19, and then saw it start up with the reveal from the previous chapter.

I personally find that a threesome between Sasaki, Nanasawa and Seto is a bit of a copout, since it doesn't let Sasaki come to terms with Seto not returning her feelings. That said, it might be interesting seeing Sasaki actively competing with her younger self for the girl they both like.

joined Mar 27, 2015

Let’s gooooooooo the poly route!!

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Oh wow, is like that Austin Power scene.

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

Perhaps when she slips back to her own time she finds that it has changed and she is married to her senpai...

joined Jan 14, 2020

I personally find that a threesome between Sasaki, Nanasawa and Seto is a bit of a copout, since it doesn't let Sasaki come to terms with Seto not returning her feelings. That said, it might be interesting seeing Sasaki actively competing with her younger self for the girl they both like.

Seto has pretty obviously returned some feelings, given that her worst reaction to being harassed is usually 'not here and now'.

It's not the time travel that makes this a lighthearted story of not-really sexual harassment, it's the fact that it's an ecchi story. You could have the same start and play it straight as horror, perfectly consistently.

(Though the "traveled in time through masturbating too hard" does undermine the somberness of things.)

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

IDK if it'll be relevant, but Kaimori's hairclip in the flashback (forward?) is the letter A, but the current one we are seeing has the hairclip as a letter B

joined Jan 6, 2017

IDK if it'll be relevant, but Kaimori's hairclip in the flashback (forward?) is the letter A, but the current one we are seeing has the hairclip as a letter B

It's a flash back that takes place in the future of the present

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(Though the "traveled in time through masturbating too hard" does undermine the somberness of things.)

I believe this has been a key point all along—if the “time travel” trope has been anything more serious than a vehicle for stringing together ecchi scenes, I have yet to perceive it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.