Forum › Not Black, Not White discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I came here to count how many people would completely ignore or reject the explicit message of the title and the (rare for a romance manga) fully articulated moral of the story: “It’s ridiculous to think of love only in black and white, as if it’s a trivial thing.” And I was not disappointed.

Carry on with the Inquisition.

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 8:41AM

joined Oct 2, 2021

^Hero rides in on noble steed

Dc42c421b77cd6d3084fe2db220282e3
joined Aug 16, 2020

I genuinely love when girls suck ass. I love stories about falling in love with a girl who sucks and it doesn't end with the girl becoming good and acceptable but instead they figure out how to make it work because they love each other. That's life baybee

joined Mar 28, 2021

I came here to count how many people would completely ignore or reject the explicit message of the title and the (rare for romance manga) fully articulated moral of the story: “It’s ridiculous to think of love only in black and white, as if it’s a trivial thing.” And I was not disappointed.

Exactly lol.

I quite liked this sequel and thought they reached a happy ending. Like someone said earlier, they’re in their early phases of communication.
They’re working on it because they both want to and are communicating their boundaries. They’re figuring out what works for them. If it doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work for someone else.

6dc89f5c-43ac-44ad-a0d6-fe9ddf4f2fb2
joined Sep 2, 2021

Nari posted:

Risa is a self-centered woman, who continues to keep Yuka around her tail. Not because she loves Yuka, but because she constantly wants someone she know will be there to love her. Because she likes to play around, with people that aren't necessarily attached to her, she still needs someone else there to hold her pride. Risa liked that Yuka felt jealous, because it told her one thing, it's that Yuka has completely fall for her trap of narcissism. It's been clear since day one that Risa never wanted to, and never liked to commit to relationships(this is an information critical for if the thought of her being a polyamorous person occurs*), it's the fact that she isn't attached to anyone; but instead prefers that one person is at least attached to her, while she plays with many other people. In short Risa is a narcissistic player, who has the right victim in her hands. Risa gets off on the fact that, even though she is a horrible person for liking to sleep around a lot, at the end of the day she still has at least one person who is emotionally attached to her where she can just go to, to cope—until she gets bored, and a new cycle repeats.

I don't agree with this one bit. Firstly, you are not a horrible person for liking to sleep around. Second, she is not narcissistic since she made clear everything from the start and had consent. From day 1. Furthermore, I saw literally not even one criterion of narcissism (since I'm a psychologist). The fact that she got off on her being jaelous it completely normal and happens in monogamy as well. I am not polyamorous, but if I were I would be super disappointed and hurt by a comment like this.

I didn't mean to sound like I was sl*t shaming, I was talking about how she is sleeping around but still wants to keep people around her tail, just in case she doesn't want to sleep around anymore, and that's what makes her horrible.

I didn't consider the fact that she might been playing with Yuka's feeling by lying that she went to "only drinking with men today," for the sake of making her jealous. So, this is if the scenario of her still sleeping around is true, then I'll call her narcissistic because she likes knowing that a person is still loving her even if she knows to the person's eye she's bad. Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but I'm not sure what word fits with this personality where you love being loved by vulnerable people regardless of how bad you are to them.

My evaluation of Risa was that she isn't polyamorous. Therefore, it cannot hurt any person who are polyamorous. Like I said earlier, if somebody had ever considered the fact that Risa might be polyamorous, that's not possible, because she's made it clear since day one that she was never into commitment. And people involved in polyamory are actually committing to their significant other(s).

Edit: What she's doing is reminding me of a friend I have. That friend has changed since, but she used to: flirt with boys. And then when they tell her they like her, she would say she doesn't like them back—but continously lead them on with hopeful thoughts, as she continues to flirt and be affectionate with them. And she does this because she liked the thought of many people being in love with her, it made her feel good. And I knew that because, she would constantly keep me updated on it, and even counted all the boys that has ever liked her. And I'll always label her as selfish and narcissistic, because she would hurt these poor boys only for the sake of feeling good about herself. She even told me that it's good to keep tabs on others and keep options available, even if she's dating. What is the word for a person like this?

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 9:07AM

joined Sep 2, 2021

I came here to count how many people would completely ignore or reject the explicit message of the title and the (rare for a romance manga) fully articulated moral of the story: “It’s ridiculous to think of love only in black and white, as if it’s a trivial thing.” And I was not disappointed.

Carry on with the Inquisition.

I think we would enjoy it much more if Risa wasn't so trashy. Or here's another, we get the perspective of Risa and we find out that she isn't trashy after all.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Edit: What she's doing is reminding me of a friend I have. That friend has changed since, but she used to: flirt with boys. And then when they tell her they like her, she would say she doesn't like them back—but continously lead them on with hopeful thoughts, as she continues to flirt and be affectionate with them. And she does this because she liked the thought of many people being in love with her, it made her feel good. And I knew that because, she would constantly keep me updated on it, and even counted all the boys that has ever liked her. And I'll always label her as selfish and narcissistic, because she would hurt these poor boys only for the sake of feeling good about herself. She even told me that it's good to keep tabs on others and keep options available, even if she's dating. What is the word for a person like this?

A “person,” maybe?

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Lol I know it's silly but after reading this all I could think about was the credits page for "Fake Sweets" scanlated by Knight Heron:

https://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/034/528/credits.png

And I was like "Take that, Credits Page! Sequels do exist! They EXIST!!! IN-YOUR-FACE! IN-YOUR-FACE!!!"

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Nari posted:

Risa is a self-centered woman, who continues to keep Yuka around her tail. Not because she loves Yuka, but because she constantly wants someone she know will be there to love her. Because she likes to play around, with people that aren't necessarily attached to her, she still needs someone else there to hold her pride. Risa liked that Yuka felt jealous, because it told her one thing, it's that Yuka has completely fall for her trap of narcissism. It's been clear since day one that Risa never wanted to, and never liked to commit to relationships(this is an information critical for if the thought of her being a polyamorous person occurs*), it's the fact that she isn't attached to anyone; but instead prefers that one person is at least attached to her, while she plays with many other people. In short Risa is a narcissistic player, who has the right victim in her hands. Risa gets off on the fact that, even though she is a horrible person for liking to sleep around a lot, at the end of the day she still has at least one person who is emotionally attached to her where she can just go to, to cope—until she gets bored, and a new cycle repeats.

I don't agree with this one bit. Firstly, you are not a horrible person for liking to sleep around. Second, she is not narcissistic since she made clear everything from the start and had consent. From day 1. Furthermore, I saw literally not even one criterion of narcissism (since I'm a psychologist). The fact that she got off on her being jaelous it completely normal and happens in monogamy as well. I am not polyamorous, but if I were I would be super disappointed and hurt by a comment like this.

I didn't mean to sound like I was sl*t shaming, I was talking about how she is sleeping around but still wants to keep people around her tail, just in case she doesn't want to sleep around anymore, and that's what makes her horrible.

I didn't consider the fact that she might been playing with Yuka's feeling by lying that she went to "only drinking with men today," for the sake of making her jealous. So, this is if the scenario of her still sleeping around is true, then I'll call her narcissistic because she likes knowing that a person is still loving her even if she knows to the person's eye she's bad. Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but I'm not sure what word fits with this personality where you love being loved by vulnerable people regardless of how bad you are to them.

My evaluation of Risa was that she isn't polyamorous. Therefore, it cannot hurt any person who are polyamorous. Like I said earlier, if somebody had ever considered the fact that Risa might be polyamorous, that's not possible, because she's made it clear since day one that she was never into commitment. And people involved in polyamory are actually committing to their significant other(s).

In the poly community you have many variations of relationships structures, including open relationships. How can you say she didn't want commitment when (years later) they moved in together? It is obvious she is poly since she openly said that she likes multiple people at the time, even though she's aware it's not "normal".
And the difference with your friend is that she was open and honest with everyone form the start. The fact that you make one case of such different situations just because they both like to "play around" worries me.
P. S. Even if someone is poly they can still be hurt by the partner's behaviour with others.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

But this is not like Risa at all. She's always said she likes those she's with, even if it usually doesn't last. She never leads anyone on - quite the opposite, she's rather frank about what she's like, and if she's over someone, that's it. Sure, she does enjoy being loved - surely everyone does - but I see no indication of her being interested in having many people keep on adoring her without giving anything in return like your friend; rather she's always been glad to return their feelings for as long as she was able to.

And that she has stopped this now is actually rather telling about how much she cares for Yuka, surprisingly even for herself.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

A battlefield I have no place to be in.

But there needs to be more comics like this,because normal romance was already thrown out the window in many,many,many,many other comics that you can find on this site.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

As someone who is polyamorous myself, I in fact see a lot less "wrong" with how Risa is acting, compared to Yuka. Risa is up-front and open about her attraction to/being with multiple people, the degree of involvement with whom is secondary.

Meanwhile, Yuka strikes me as a typical monogamous person who's clearly not okay with how their polyamorous love interest leads their life but instead of recognizing that this incompatibility is a dealbreaker, she gets together with them anyway, only to then fault the other person for continuing to be polyamorous.

She can be lucky that Risa found her jealousy endearing and decided to placate her bc if it was me, i'd be long gone. If you can't deal with my polyamory then i'm not gonna deal with you, end of story.

EDIT: My annoyance at Yuka's behavior doesn't mean i don't like the story though, just to make that clear. I actually rather enjoyed both parts~ Always nice to see non-normative concepts of love being handled

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 10:37AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But there needs to be more comics like this,because normal romance was already thrown out the window in many,many,many,many other comics that you can find on this site.

The Dynasty forum "This Story Should Have Been Written So The People Are The Way I Like Them To Be" contingent is a mighty army--bright are their banners, and their pure-white armor gleams beneath the midday sun.

joined Sep 2, 2021

Nari posted:

In the poly community you have many variations of relationships structures, including open relationships. How can you say she didn't want commitment when (years later) they moved in together? It is obvious she is poly since she openly said that she likes multiple people at the time, even though she's aware it's not "normal".
And the difference with your friend is that she was open and honest with everyone form the start. The fact that you make one case of such different situations just because they both like to "play around" worries me.
P. S. Even if someone is poly they can still be hurt by the partner's behaviour with others.

Well, in the first chapter we learn that she dated a guy to break up with him and automatically get a new one. This to me just seems like she doesn't care about who she's with, she's just there to play. In my opinion you cannot label Risa as polyamorous(because polyamorous involves all parties' consent) but Risa does not do that, as you can she she is straightforward and direct, and Yuka walked in "accepting" her way of being a player. But you can also see Yuka is definitely not okay with that.

And yeah, I realize that my friend and Risa are different now. One does it behind another's back, and the other tells. The way they are similar to me is, not that they both like to play around, it's that they enjoy the way they can mess a vulnerable person up to make themselves feel good.

P.S. I know polyamorous people have feelings. We're all humans after all.

joined Jun 7, 2019

nah this is definitely toxic,if the girl you love says to your face that she will have relationships with multiple people and likes more than one person you that is exactly the moment when you should left
i would be happier if they at least would let the blondie play around w other ppl too

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Pretty much, yeah. It's great having fluffy romance in manga and many series here provide that, but it's also great to have messy and unconventional romances in other series, adds variety. I find it fascinating as well, since IRL I would be keeping people like Yoshioka far far out of my romantic life

joined Sep 2, 2021

The Dynasty forum "This Story Should Have Been Written So The People Are The Way I Like Them To Be" contingent is a mighty army--bright are their banners, and their pure-white armor gleams beneath the midday sun.

There's a huge difference between a horrible character written very well, and a horrible character written badly. Yuni writes Risa badly as a bad character, and that's the problem. I enjoy other Yuni's work, just not this one. If you think people's evaluation of Risa is a, "OooOooOo she should've been written this way," then what's the point of analysis, perspective, and critic? Calling this white knight isn't fitting.

What we need is a sequel of a sequel of Risa's point of view so our perspective can actually change and comprehend how Risa work. As of now, since there's only been two one-shots of these two characters, we can only assume so much.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

nah this is definitely toxic,if the girl you love says to your face that she will have relationships with multiple people and likes more than one person you that is exactly the moment when you should left
i would be happier if they at least would let the blondie play around w other ppl too

Way to be prejudiced against non-monogamous ppl. For one, I can't recall a single instance where Risa said it wasn't okay for Yuka to have other partners too, she'd most likely be perfectly okay with that. Rather, it's Yuka trying to guilt Risa into being monogamous despite agreeing to be with her, even though she knew that Risa isn't mono.

If you're monogamous and can't deal with your partner being polyam that's fine but don't act like you have some sort of moral high ground here, you don't. You're just ignorant.

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 10:37AM

joined Jun 7, 2019

Risa gets off on the fact that, even though she is a horrible person for liking to sleep around a lot

Remember people, having sex with several people makes you a horrible person lol

having sex with several people it's okay but damn lying to the other girl because it turned you on to see her jealous and staying with her even tho you know she loves you (which is blondie's fault mostly)and you'd never reciprocate is kinda wrong :/

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There's a huge difference between a horrible character written very well, and a horrible character written badly. Yuni writes Risa badly as a bad character, and that's the problem. I enjoy other Yuni's work, just not this one. If you think people's evaluation of Risa is a, "OooOooOo she should've been written this way," then what's the point of analysis, perspective, and critic? Calling this white knight isn't fitting.

What we need is a sequel of a sequel of Risa's point of view so our perspective can actually change and comprehend how Risa work. As of now, since there's only been two one-shots of these two characters, we can only assume so much.

What are you talking about, "bad writing"? You disapprove of the character's represented behavior--full stop. The writing is "bad" in your view because the character should have been written so that you could "understand" (that is, approve of) their behavior.

If "analysis, perspective, and critic" means putting imaginary human beings onto an autopsy table in order to dissect which ones behave properly and which ones don't, knock yourself out.

The author in this case couldn't possibly make it any clearer that's quite irrelevant to this story.

joined Sep 2, 2021

But this is not like Risa at all. She's always said she likes those she's with, even if it usually doesn't last. She never leads anyone on - quite the opposite, she's rather frank about what she's like, and if she's over someone, that's it. Sure, she does enjoy being loved - surely everyone does - but I see no indication of her being interested in having many people keep on adoring her without giving anything in return like your friend; rather she's always been glad to return their feelings for as long as she was able to.

And that she has stopped this now is actually rather telling about how much she cares for Yuka, surprisingly even for herself.

Yeah I figured, she doesn't lead anyone on. I guess I keep using the wrong words. But yeah I see what you mean, about being open to "anyone who likes her." I really hope the case is she is taking care of(taking care in terms of respect) herself and Yuka now. Yuka should get some self-respect too.

I THINK I FOUND THE WORD: Its not narcissistic, my friend was self-centered.

Anyways thanks for opening a new perspective for me on Risa.

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 10:44AM

joined Jun 7, 2019

Way to be prejudiced against non-monogamous ppl. For one, I can't recall a single instance where Risa said it wasn't okay for Yuka to have other partners too, she'd most likely be perfectly okay with that. Rather, it's Yuka trying to guilt Risa into being monogamous despite agreeing to be with her, even though she knew that Risa isn't mono.

If you're monogamous and can't deal with your partner being polyam that's fine but don't act like you have some sort of moral high ground here, you don't. You're just ignorant.

First,calm down this is just a manga.
Secondly, i have nothing against poly people but if you are clearly monogamous and the person you love says that your face you SHOULD leave because it won't work ,why are you taking it the wrong way? And also,i'd say that Risa is the one being bitchy here since she perfectly knows that Yuka loves her and wants to be only with her so she lies to her or tells straight to her face that she is with other people to make her jealous.Yuka should leave?definitely,cuz it won't work but Risa is taking advantage about the fact she is in love with her.
And i didn't say that Risa didn't let Yuka have other partners,i said that i'd be happier if the AUTHOR made Yuka play around with other people too so it's fair.
Last, i have an opinion,and if i didn't like a manga i have the right to complain about it as a manga reader and as a monogamous person(because i clearly didn't want this one to turned out like this,there isn't even a "polyamory" tag :/ )

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 10:50AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

What is this comment doing besides inflaming a discussion that doesn't need to be?

joined Sep 2, 2021

What are you talking about, "bad writing"? You disapprove of the character's represented behavior--full stop. The writing is "bad" in your view because the character should have been written so that you could "understand" (that is, approve of) their behavior.

If "analysis, perspective, and critic" means putting imaginary human beings onto an autopsy table in order to dissect which ones behave properly and which ones don't, knock yourself out.

The author in this case couldn't possibly make it any clearer that's quite irrelevant to this story.

Yes. The only reason why I'm calling Risa a bad person right now is because I don't know her perspective yet. That is why I can only assume she's bad. As of now, Yuni has badly written Risa. I don't need to approve of any of the character's behavior I just need to understand their perspective/characters so I can come to the right conclusions.

Analysis, perspective, and critics were meant to refer to readers themselves. We take the chapter, we read it. And we try to comprehend it in our perspective, and we have the rights to criticize when something that we don't like, because it falls out of line from our perspective and opinions.

I think you forget that others have different opinions in their* perspective. I've made it clear since day one that I've been assuming, and that I am a tad bit confused and ignorant.

Isn't this why people were trashing on Saburouta and Citrus so much? Because everyone, even Saburouta themself*, were confused on Mei's personality and perspective. Where Mei would sometimes be inconsistent/out of character based on a scene or two, and everyone would go ballistic if she doesn't do what they want her to do. When the fact is, no one just doesn't understand her(again even Sabu doesn't). I NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT RISA.

Edit: If Yuni couldn't make it any more clearer then, in theory people shouldn't see Risa any other way. Wrong. Risa is still giving mix reactions, now of course people will always think differently from one another, but if Yuni has really written Risa well, the critics will still be mad but they will see that Risa's way of things had been justified. And right now, so much of us has not see that justification.

last edited at Dec 18, 2021 11:02AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

What is this comment doing besides inflaming a discussion that doesn't need to be?

I'm sorry--which forum rule does the post violate?

To reply you must either login or sign up.