Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Nighty night

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

You just weren't SEXY enough to appreciate the fabulous max Love trio.

..hahaha...XD...I see you love yaoi but you don't have no right to mind my tastes...but I also like yaoi but not like this, manliness is what I'm seeking for in yaoi..sorry...

Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

just watched the anime and going to the "What-the-hell-i-just-watched" state after watching.
Manga version is better than that anime. Who's with me?

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I haven't watched the show yet. Just came across that this has yuri, is directed by our fabled Utena director and has a manga right here! This is going to my watch list. Hopefully, even though it seems to have garnered a lot of controversial opinions, it shall be to my taste. ^_^

last edited at Jan 7, 2015 10:04AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

just watched the anime and going to the "What-the-hell-i-just-watched" state after watching.
Manga version is better than that anime. Who's with me?

Manga version is a LOT more coherent right from the start. Anime is stylish as hell, and the Utena influence is beyond obvious, sometimes to the point of trying too hard. So where the manga is a story with mysterious aspects, the anime is labrynthine, with a lot of references to things that aren't really explained yet but seem common knowledge in the world.

That said, I actually did enjoy the anime, right up until the Yuri Court bit which let's be frank here, totally breaks the mood. That's one place where things not making immediate sense really hurt the show, I think.

I'll keep watching, but I think my preference is going to stay with the manga.

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

I saw a whole lot more Utena than SHAFT in the first episode. I actually have a bit of a hate boner for Shaft and especially Monogatari so I understand the sentiments expressed by some of you but don't let it consume you. Don't let some similarities ruin a potentially fine show for you. Shaft doesn't have a patent on experimental visual styles in anime and this was only the beginning, there's a good chance Ikuhara knows what he's doing, not just blindly creating his own spin on Monogatari.

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to read about bears, and this "yuri" stuff just doesn't sit right with me.

seeing such claims on dynasty is a kuma-shock!
but i guess your avatar justifies your words.

now a few words to Sisya:

I saw this scene as an example of what they mean when they say that they do what they want, humans have rules but it's none of their business.

i actually see this in a freudian light: the bears are ID, the humans are EGO, and let`s say the wall humans are building between themselves and bears is SUPER-EGO.

bears: do what they want, because symbolize our subconscious that acts in coherence with our real desires and fears. stems from the animal-wild nature of humans

humans: think they do everything consciously and every their action is dictated by common sence. want to divide themselves from wild nature, make believe they`re different from animals.

wall: confines conscious humans from subconscious bears, not letting ego act as it wants, limiting the freedom of id, dividing the two spheres of the psyche. BUT: it still builds itself, changes and restructures, we can even hear the mechanic sounds, it`s not a perfect shield from wild natural forces

as a result of the super-ego wall's imperfections, the bears still can sneak through it into the world of humans and "eat" them, i.e. dictate the consciousness how to act and think, take over the ego, because "the humans' rules" - read: the wall's confines - don't just work for id bears.

last edited at Jan 7, 2015 1:35PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I like the asigned roles in the anime alot more, this will be a interesting mystery

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

yuri kuma anime is about love towards food.....
attack on bear.

last edited at Jan 7, 2015 1:10PM

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to read about bears, and this "yuri" stuff just doesn't sit right with me.

seeing such claims on dynasty is a kuma-shock!
but i guess your avatar justifies your words.

now a few words to Sisya:

I saw this scene as an example of what they mean when they say that they do what they want, humans have rules but it's none of their business.

i actually see this in a freudian light: the bears are ID, the humans are EGO, and let`s say the wall humans are building between themselves and bears is SUPER-EGO.

bears: do what they want, because symbolize our subconscious that acts in coherence with our real desires and fears. stems from the animal-wild nature of humans

humans: think they do everything consciously and every their action is dictated by common sence. want to divide themselves from wild nature, make believe they`re different from animals.

wall: confines conscious humans from subconscious bears, not letting ego act as it wants, limiting the freedom of id, dividing the two spheres of the psyche. BUT: it still builds itself, changes and restructures, we can even hear the mechanic sounds, it`s not a perfect shield from wild natural forces

as a result of the super-ego wall's imperfections, the bears still can sneak through it into the world of humans and "eat" them, i.e. dictate the consciousness how to act and think, take over the ego, because "the humans' rules" - read: the wall's confines - don't just work for id bears.

Very interesting point of view.
The way you explain it definitely makes sense to me.
It would actually echo back to this idea of "sin" the bears talk about when apparently eating somebody at the end, and the fact that the judges/lawyers trio is located in the wall; trying to contain the ID from reaching the EGO.

Thanks for that, I'll keep this in mind during the next episodes to see how this idea evolves.

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

i wouldn't though be so certain that they really are devouring Sumika's flesh, could be like someone guessed at reddit that it's just the meat in her bento
on a side note, i'm getting also existential vibes from this show as well as psychoanaytical. i believe someone here mentioned that one can only actualize oneself in the world by interacting with others, and that is exactly why the bears want to pass the barrier - by interacting with people they can realizate their personal program, what they cannot do while staying in concealed/reservation state (though that reeks more of Berdyaev's personalism than of existentialism)

last edited at Jan 7, 2015 4:09PM

joined Apr 9, 2014

Growl

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

Somehow watching the anime episode first made it even more confusing.

Credit
joined Jul 14, 2013

I don't know why but the anime is kinda disapointing and confusing and just strange...?

And why no updates from this manga??

joined May 23, 2013

I don't know why but the anime is kinda disapointing and confusing and just strange...?

And why no updates from this manga??

It all makes sense after you understand the symbolic meanings. The two girl bears symbolize lesbians the bear wall is the division of gay and rejection in Japan. The bears are chibi and cute and rearly have claws because lesbians are not dangerous and don't hurt anyone. The lilies symbolize fertility. The lilies gone means population will decrease lesbian bears eat all of them. However both have to work together. What this anime is trying to say is strait and us lgbt community should work together to find a balance. The nectar of the lilies symbolize deflowering love. Everything in this anime has a meaning. Keep watching you won't regret it :)

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

God, those girls are in heat.
#Ep 2.

Screenshot_2015-09-06-01-02-36~2~2
joined May 26, 2013

Gotta say, I am really liking the anime, even with its weirdness.

joined Jul 8, 2013

This anime gets worse and worse with every episode. This is why there's so few yuri animes out there. Cuz they keep animating crap.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

KUMA SHOOOCK!!!!
this is so good, I can't even!.. GAO GAO!!!
Anyways, it seems after two episodes and one week of heavy analysis I understand the show, its theme and the plot pretty well. Ask your questions, if anything's LOL unclear. I'll try to answer, one by one.

joined Jul 8, 2013

WAO! I just saw the first episode of the anime. THEY COMPLETELY SLAUGHTERED THE MANGAS STORY. NOTHING EVEN RESEMBLING IT REMAINS. So if you go to see the anime, don't go cuz you liked the manga, that's for sure. I fucking hate it when they promise to animate something and then completely and utterly ignore the thing they based it off of! WTF is up with that!?!?!

We already knew that the anime and the manga were different things entirely.

Yeah the trailer kind of made that a bit obvious but...I just wanted to have hope...that they wouldn't be stupid and do that...sadly, it was a false hope...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I have nothing to say in defense of this anime, I am now going to watch the episodes in "just because" mode...

Recycling animation never works btw

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

KUMA SHOOOCK!!!!
Anyways, it seems after two episodes and one week of heavy analysis I understand the show, its theme and the plot pretty well. Ask your questions, if anything's LOL unclear. I'll try to answer, one by one.

I want to hear you out.
Everything. Every burning thoughts you think can be shared.
Cuz, I am confused now... (even if, I must say, I kind of love this state of confusion)
:)

joined Jul 8, 2013

Already knew this was gonna happen but... Was gonna give it a shot but all that bear-suit-magical-girl bullshit always repulses me making me cringe in pain.

flips out of all the things THAT was your main problem? so much was wrong with this first episode i dont even know where to start.

I only saw the OP...
xD

ugh Ikuhara why.
I think i realized why i hated this so much........besides the total randomness and lack of a coherent plot or established characters.

its because its fucking monogatari.
no really, the fanservice passed off as symbolism, the impossible geometry, and i SWEAR there was a head tilt in there somewhere.
this is a fucking monogatari spinoff!

(i know it isn't but that's what it feels like)

For me what I hate isn't monogatari, but rather SHAFT itself since most of what you just describe is SHAFT. Not monogatari. I read one of the light novels (kizumonogatari) and the only thing that was really there that SHAFT doesn't force in is SOME of the symbolism. Not all of it.
BTW I really, really FUCKING HATE SHAFT WITH THE ENTIRETY OF MY BEING.

joined Jul 8, 2013

I have nothing to say in defense of this anime, I am now going to watch the episodes in "just because" mode...

Recycling animation never works btw

I'm one of those people sitting next to you also in "just because" mode, because I all but HATE this series already, but it goes against all my principles to not finish a yuri series. Unless I know the ending is going to be terrible and since Morishima is involved here I can at least take solace in that I don't think a bad ending will be the case.
And before some asswipe tells me "you don't like it, just cause you don't understand it." I GET IT. I swear I do. Trust me. I really do, cause, frankly, a lot of the symbolism isn't even that hard to grasp (especially since some of it is REALLY cliche like the flowers, for example). It's just really not good. It just isn't.

last edited at Jan 12, 2015 6:34PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

KUMA SHOOOCK!!!!

I want to hear you out.
Everything. Every burning thoughts you think can be shared.
Cuz, I am confused now... (even if, I must say, I kind of love this state of confusion)
:)

Read this blog entry. Despite it's based on ep.1, it's still mostly correct. And I'll keep posting my thoughts after every episode. As long as there's anything to add. But I'm pretty sure there will be ^_^ The previous entry could be an interesting read too, but it's far less precise as I posted it without even watching ep.1 - purely based on two manga chapters, some rumours, and analysis of Ikuhara's tropes and influences.

To reply you must either login or sign up.