there is more of this couple

good stuff but she truly feels toxic in the others too

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

Aww

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That's basically the wrong answer. The right answer is, doesn't matter how awesome I might be because I'm only interested in you, so anyone I might be popular with can't have me.

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

ngl rin's a toxic gf
on a positive note, this was cute and i damn love the art style. TOMBOY SUPREMACY.

and lol the credits page was the best

Calm down son it's just a drawing.

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Everything is toxic these days...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s a Dynasty rule—something in every story is toxic, unhealthy, sends the wrong message, or would be illegal in real life.

i mean, it must be a rule, right?

joined Apr 8, 2021

Remember, friends, if you experience a human emotion biologically ingrained in you over millions of years of evolution, you are Toxic™.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

It’s a Dynasty rule—something in every story is toxic, unhealthy, sends the wrong message, or would be illegal in real life.

My personal suspicion is that a lot of Dynasty readers are here primarily for wish fulfillment. So anything other than ultrasmooth sailing through the seas of romance with a firm Happily Ever After at the end is going to cause them distress because it damages the fantasy.

Dynasty readers aren't alone in this regard, btw. If you look through the romance eBook section on Amazon, the bits with all the self-published romance novels that only appear in eBook form, a lot of those will explicitly state in their description that the novel has an "HEA" ("Happily Ever After") ending. Literally tells you in the "about this book" blurb how the story ends, because it's a legit selling point for romance novels. People don't want to waste their time daydreaming about being the protagonist of a steamy romance story if they're just gonna get dumped at the end.

last edited at Oct 31, 2021 6:14PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My personal suspicion is that a lot of Dynasty readers are here primarily for wish fulfillment. So anything other than ultrasmooth sailing through the seas of romance with a firm Happily Ever After at the end is going to cause them distress because it damages the fantasy.

Dynasty readers aren't alone in this regard, btw. If you look through the romance eBook section on Amazon, the bits with all the self-published romance novels that only appear in eBook form, a lot of those will explicitly state in their description that the novel has an "HEA" ("Happily Ever After") ending. Literally tells you in the "about this book" blurb how the story ends, because it's a legit selling point for romance novels. People don't want to waste their time daydreaming about being the protagonist of a steamy romance story if they're just gonna get dumped at the end.

Although I don't happen to share it, I even get the "no tragic endings for me, thank you very much--I'm here for the feels" impulse.

But comedy in particular often relies on isolating one character trait and exaggerating it (and in serial stories repeating it over and over) and it seems to escape some readers that, if you're going to imagine the characters as real human beings, you also need to imagine that they have all the other normal everyday interactions that real-life people have besides the one gag that the author is showing us.

I've stopped being surprised when even the cutest, most anodyne one-shot gets some everyday element singled out as "unhealthy," but I'm still struck by how regularly it happens.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Cute

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Not at all, I don't come here to read wholesome or "HEA" stories, actually they kinda bore me, I like drama, I like realistic stories, I like toxicity if it's well portrayed as the unhealthy behavior it is. But this story is romanticizing it like hell, "Oh, you're so boyish and handsome that I feel like every girl would fall for you, so please don't talk to any of them ever again, okay? UwU" ¿¿¿??? C'mon, are you guys blind or what?

Can someone get a proper brain for the guy who tagged this as "wholesome"?

last edited at Oct 31, 2021 8:12PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not at all, I don't come here to read wholesome or "HEA" stories, actually they kinda bore me, I like drama, I like realistic stories, I like toxicity if it's well portrayed as the unhealthy behavior it is. But this story is romanticizing it like hell, "Oh, you're so boyish and handsome that I feel like every girl would fall for you, so please don't talk to any of them ever again, okay? UwU" ¿¿¿??? C'mon, are you guys blind or what?

Except that's not what the character says--you're simply putting words into her mouth. She knows she's being a bit irrational, which why she says, "There's no way I could say that."

It's easy to make stories come out toxic when you lie about them.

joined Jun 11, 2016

ah yes once again Dynasty Readers astound me, finding faults with everything.

Anw, thanks for the translation and the credits page, it made me smile XD

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

jesus christ this website lmao

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Except that's not what the character says--you're simply putting words into her mouth. She knows she's being a bit irrational, which why she says, "There's no way I could say that."

WHAT? Take off the blindfold lad, or put on the brain, whatever. She starts with the "WHO WAS THAT" with an angry face, and then the "don't call her again" with a sad puppy face, ooh, so cute. And yes, she does say "there's no way I could say that", but she already did, like her gf says right after. Or what, do you kill someone, and then just say "as if" and like that, boom, the person is unkilled. She already said the words and who the fuck are you to tell me not to call anybody? It's just a friend, if you're jealous it's your fucking problem. I'm not putting words into anybody's mouth, I'm just reading what the author wrote

last edited at Oct 31, 2021 9:14PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

WHAT? Take off the blindfold lad, or put on the brain, whatever. She starts with the "WHO WAS THAT" with an angry face, and then the "don't call her again" with a sad puppy face, ooh, so cute. And yes, she does say "there's no way I could say that", but she already did, like her gf says right after. Or what, do you kill someone, and then just say "as if" and like that, boom, the person is unkilled. She already said the words and who the fuck are you to tell me not to call anybody? It's just a friend, if you're jealous it's your fucking problem. I'm not putting words into anybody's mouth, I'm just reading what the author wrote

Sometimes stories show toxic behavior, and sometimes readers bring the toxicity with them.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

That was so cool for cats!

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Jessie what the fuck are you talking about

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

17hunter00 posted:

Chill.

Edit: Any further posts responding to this will be removed, unless an actual discussion is attempted. Thank you.

last edited at Oct 31, 2021 11:26PM

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

Calm down son it's just a drawing.

sorry for the misunderstanding but i'm calm hahaha. forgot to put 'kinda' or smth but telling one's partner not to talk to someone anymore isn't just my type of tea although the blonde wasn't really serious about it.

Not really. A toxic girlfriend would be one who didn't catch the possessiveness or genuinely enforced it.
As it is, she's just struggling with jealousy issues that could be a problem if they get out of hand but haven't so far.

yeah sorry about that. thanks for explaining it tho. :)

last edited at Oct 31, 2021 11:46PM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

yeah sorry about that. thanks for explaining it tho. :)

Aaaaand you get a <3 for being perfectly civil and nice about it. <:D

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

That's basically the wrong answer. The right answer is, doesn't matter how awesome I might be because I'm only interested in you, so anyone I might be popular with can't have me.

My thought as well. It is a depressingly often used trope in manga. "Oh noes, no need to worry, other people would not be interested in me." The implication here that your faithfulness depends on how other people perceive you seems to completely escape these characters, as is the fact this type of "reassurance" practically never works, since what their partners want to hear is that they would not be interested in anyone else.

I actually do not think that is the case here. It certainly is something that happens often on Dynasty, but I would not put this doujin under that description. I think the reason some people had negative reactions is because there are simply certain character types that rub you the wrong way. In this case, a jealous/possessive/controlling type of person, and I fully understand why, since I too happen to be one of those people who have very little tolerance for such characters (one of the reasons why I viscerally hate Kase, for example, and could never get into that series despite all the other appeals it might have).

It certainly irked me when I read that "don't call her again" line. That said, this is a pretty mild case and what rescues it for me is the fact Rin is fully aware of this trait of hers and consciously tones it down.

But comedy in particular often relies on isolating one character trait and exaggerating it (and in serial stories repeating it over and over) and it seems to escape some readers that, if you're going to imagine the characters as real human beings, you also need to imagine that they have all the other normal everyday interactions that real-life people have besides the one gag that the author is showing us.

Here is the thing, though. If the particular trait that the author chose happens to be one that does not appeal to me, what possible difference could off-screen imaginary interactions make? I am not reading a story with those other interactions. I am reading the story where one of its central themes does not sit well with me. It is as simple as that. Some things just boil down to personal preferences and there is nothing wrong with that.

That said, that one person up there losing it completely over this story does seem like a massive overreaction. As possessive types go, Rin is not that bad.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Here is the thing, though. If the particular trait that the author chose happens to be one that does not appeal to me, what possible difference could off-screen imaginary interactions make? I am not reading a story with those other interactions. I am reading the story where one of its central themes does not sit well with me. It is as simple as that. Some things just boil down to personal preferences and there is nothing wrong with that.

That's not the point I was making, though, which is that behavior in comedy is inevitably to some extent detached from real-world value systems--it was Plato's big beef against fictional stories that audiences can find entertaining behavior (like drunkenness) that they would recoil from in real life.

Many of the "this is toxic/unhealthy/psychologically counterproductive/illegal/etc." readers seem to see stories entirely as representations of real (albeit not actually existing) persons, and the depictions of their lives primarily as recommendations for or warnings against real world behavior. I was pointing out the contradiction of, on the one hand, reacting to stories (especially comedies) as if the characters were real persons while on the other hand assuming that those fragmentary depictions are the entirety of those characters' existence.

joined Dec 14, 2019

the credits page lmaoo I’m weeak

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

God I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me god I wish that were me

To reply you must either login or sign up.