Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

joined Aug 29, 2019

So I'm fresh off watching the anime and was wondering if I should jump in directly at the start of volume 5 (maybe reading the last chapter of 4) or if it'd be better to read it all from the start? How faithful is the adaptation? Going by the titles, it seems to follow closely.

Small happy rant, just to get it off my chest: I'm so glad I stuck with it beyond episode 3, Yashiro almost turned me off the show entirely at that point. It's an incredibly slow burn, but Adachi is just so cute, utterly crazy in love but too timid and insecure to really push it explicitly, fumbling every chance she gets. Which might actually not be the worst thing in the world, because in this case I'm not even sure Shimamura would be on board with a confession. Speaking of which, Shimamura ranks among the densest characters I've seen. Kinda feels like she's never even given a thought to the fact that two girls can be together. It seems apparent that Adachi is the most special friend she's been able to make since Tarumi, even though she can't realize it as romantic love yet. Normally this combination and insanely slow burn would have been infuriating for me, but thanks to spoiling myself on the forum a bit I knew what to expect and sublimely enjoyed what I got.

TL;DR: * squee *

Edit: Just saw that Marissa Lenti and David Wald directed the dub, so I'm not surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

last edited at May 16, 2021 6:18PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So I'm fresh off watching the anime and was wondering if I should jump in directly at the start of volume 5 (maybe reading the last chapter of 4) or if it'd be better to read it all from the start? How faithful is the adaptation? Going by the titles, it seems to follow closely.

It's pretty faithful, even if it seems to emphasize the weirdness a bit more than any other version, but I'd still recommend reading it all, there's just so much inner monologue here that no adaptation can fully cover.

Speaking of which, Shimamura ranks among the densest characters I've seen. Kinda feels like she's never even given a thought to the fact that two girls can be together.

Shimamura has a special kind of power of denial. She's less dense and more actively avoiding the topic. Any time she comes close to thinking about this possibility, she just decides it's easier for her to ignore it. :D At least until she doesn't.

last edited at May 17, 2021 5:36AM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Then I guess AdaShima from the start is on the menu after I finish re-reading YagaKimi. Thanks.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yeah while the anime was pretty faithful just like the manga it wasn't really able to capture the magic of the series, all the internal monologues from Adachi and Shimamura, like sure a lot of it was implied pretty well but it's just not the same, the novels go so in depth with both characters in a way I haven't really seen elsewhere, it's the best character development and characterization I've seen definitely recommend starting from volume 1 it'll feel really fresh seeing the while thing.

So no news on a new volume ? Its been quite a long while since the last one no? Like 6 months or so? .... I'm guessing we're still looking at like another year or year and a half till the next one no?

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Ohhh special 3 came out thx a lot sneik.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Waiting for people to be salty about mere allusions to their first kiss and obvious progression to their first time that doesn't actually progress to that point in the story but presumably does after a rousing round of ping pong. in 3, 2, 1....

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Waiting for people to be salty about mere allusions to their first kiss and obvious progression to their first time that doesn't actually progress to that point in the story but presumably does after a rousing round of ping pong. in 3, 2, 1....

Nothing to be salty about there, it's good to know they've finally gotten that far, and this being a side story, it's better if the actual events get covered in the actual novels instead.

joined Mar 20, 2012

I just want to say, I spent all day yesterday catching up (still haven't read the anime specials) and this is probably the weirdest and most thoughtful series I have read lately. The amount of character introspection and development is just insane. I don't know how the author handled it so well, their writing is just OP.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

All the anime specials really feel like a final volume lol we get to see future stories of how their life went down and it's a confirmation on Yashiro being an alien, like yeah it's always been alluded but here it's a confirmation, and it's interesting she's just been going around helping them find each other in every world for thousands or tens of thousands of years, that made me really happy actually, they're both so weird and get lonely easily, sure Adachi really shows it but I think Shima has it just as bad, she's just able to cope with it better, so knowing Yashi is out there helping them find each other is just nice.

I am a bit sad though, seeing as they had sex here it seems we'll never get to that point in the story, I wanted it to go that far maybe follow them till college or when they moved in together, but seeing how we got glimpses of that here and how the author says he wants to finish in 3 more volumes I think we're just gonna get to see them finish high school at most

I am looking forward to 2 things the author teased, the kiss of course but also that Adachi actually had a food she really likes, just like Shima i really can't imagine her eating something with gusto so I really wonder what it is lol.

last edited at Jul 23, 2021 10:38AM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Ffuu... I maraphoned the anime, then the books here... should've at least made a break after vol.8... now i'm just left speechless and in tears.. and it's not even a bad ending... I wonder what kind of things the author went through to have this written. God... T__T

joined Mar 28, 2014

So, volume 10 is in print and will be available for purchase in Japan on the 10th of September 2021. Judging by the synopsis and my poor Japanese skills, it's gonna be about the two moving in together. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I couldn't help but give the novel another round of reading after the first one. No more rushing through the story, simply enjoying each and every chapter. I really want to thank the translator for the amazing work on this masterpiece. I know it's not a lot, but it is with your help I discovered this gem and ended up buying all volumes in Japanese even if I can't properly read it. So if anything, it's definitely your effort that brought me to support the author. Thank you dearly.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Just got around to reading all the anime special novels, and uh what the shit??? I love this series but sometimes it treads some weird-ass territory. I kinda wish there was no Yashiro and alternate universe rebirth cycling thing going on and it was just about the progression of Adachi and Shimamura as people and in their relationship with each other but whatever. I’m still finding myself extremely fascinated with all of it.

joined Mar 28, 2014

so, Volume 10 is out in Japan!
The chapter names are in English this time.
https://imgur.com/8WBvswl
Can't wait to read it.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I just caught up on the anime special novels, and...wow.

Special 3 was absolutely amazing. I just couldn't get enough of Adachi being a complete and total mess and Shimamura thinking lots of gay thoughts (plus the ping pong callback!).

Special 4, on the other hand...man. That was some heavy stuff. It was almost hard to read, but in a good way. It's actually nice to know that Adachi and Shimamura get to spend almost 70 years together, but it's also a really strange and sad feeling getting to see how all these characters' stories ultimately end. I mean, of course every person gets old and dies eventually, but it's a fairly unusual and unique choice on Iruma-sensei's part to actually show that and give his characters a definitive end rather than an open-ended future. Although, as Shimamura might say, I can't say I dislike it. This series is a masterpiece.

Anyway, my copy of Volume 10 arrived last week, and now I'm finally ready to start reading! I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Eh ? No one has commented about vol 10? I'm waiting on the full translation but I wanted to spoil myself a bit with what people were talking about lol.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Not sure if this has been talked about before, but I wonder how long this whole adashima cycle has been going on for....
I remember at the beginning of the story, Yashiro telling Shimamura that she was destined to meet her (Yashiro) and Yashiro’s whole talk about how everything must be exactly the same as it was before to keep history going really makes me wonder if there were any past Adachi’s and Shimamura’s and she’s just been doing this for eternities, Yashiro's "It's been quite a while since the last time." just makes me believe in this even more.

Anyways, what a beautiful chapter, I knew I would not be disappointed by this series, I personally cannot fully understand Adachi's relationship with her mother as I am very close with mine but I think the way it was handled throughout the series was amazing. There's no effort to try to rekindle what is lost, none, not even once, and we all know from here on out Adachi will truly never contact her ever again, she just says thank you and moves on with her life and is okay with it too. Extremely curious to see how this will all pan out.

last edited at Oct 5, 2021 12:52AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Wait, wait, wait... Haven't has the chance to read this yet, but... raemz, as in the same 4LS raemz/Weee? Nice!

joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm very glad to see the third anime special chapter here! (I'm hoping that licensed English-language translations will become available.)

joined Aug 10, 2021

Lets gooo, Adashima is back!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that was a nice couple of chapters. Didn't realize I'd missed it this much.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Well, now I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the working week.

Really loved chapter 3 of the anime special novel. Looking forward to the other ones I'll be reading these days.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

What in the world? I saw anime, read a manga, read another manga version, haven't read novels, they are dating, dating? legit dating? woohooooo

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I just caught up on the anime special novels, and...wow.

Special 3 was absolutely amazing. I just couldn't get enough of Adachi being a complete and total mess and Shimamura thinking lots of gay thoughts (plus the ping pong callback!).

Special 4, on the other hand...man. That was some heavy stuff. It was almost hard to read, but in a good way. It's actually nice to know that Adachi and Shimamura get to spend almost 70 years together, but it's also a really strange and sad feeling getting to see how all these characters' stories ultimately end. I mean, of course every person gets old and dies eventually, but it's a fairly unusual and unique choice on Iruma-sensei's part to actually show that and give his characters a definitive end rather than an open-ended future. Although, as Shimamura might say, I can't say I dislike it. This series is a masterpiece.

Anyway, my copy of Volume 10 arrived last week, and now I'm finally ready to start reading! I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

70 years?!

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Yall vol 10 is upon us, I have more food for the next month. Thx u translators for ur hard work

To reply you must either login or sign up.