Forum › Yoru to Umi discussion

joined Jul 24, 2020

maybe they could be a bit more honest with eachother

joined May 28, 2021

Please don't tell me this will end up not yuri. Like that tropical fish manga.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

^Don't say the name of that wretched manga; it gives it power. Let's hope that's not how this one sputters to a stop.

Dashing
joined Nov 19, 2018

Unique manga for sure, I really like it.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

^Don't say the name of that wretched manga; it gives it power. Let's hope that's not how this one sputters to a stop.

Wait what is that done? It didn’t end gay?? I’ve been waiting this time and it’s already over? They were so gay for each other?! How didn’t it happen, I just can’t.

last edited at May 31, 2021 5:41PM

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I love the way this series reads. Both Tsukiko and Aya always have each other in their thoughts and have a desire to get closer, but both seem to believe their current distance is further than it actually is, which causes them to act so reserved around each other. Tsukiko wants Aya to look her way sometimes, believing that Aya only ever has eyes for the pool. Meanwhile, Aya deeply wishes to understand Tsukiko and her feelings better, but believes that the latter has no interest in allowing her to get close.

The two of them are so close, yet so far apart. There are so many things that could be solved just by talking to each other, but like Aya said, it feels like the words are stuck in their throats. Hopefully this slow burn will pay off in the end and they'll be able to communicate their desires with each other properly.

joined Jul 28, 2020

Fish-head Aya is best Aya.
And the amount of body language during Yano's discussion with her teacher was impressive, I always enjoy seeing the different ways in which Tsukiko expresses herself while keeping the same (-_-) face.

last edited at Jun 2, 2021 7:02PM

Nathaniel Kamb
Fjy7x0qaaaandi2
joined Apr 23, 2019

I´ve gotta admit that this is getting deep... Literally. Man, seeing Tsukiko getting overwhelmed is such a relief, and the way the author illustrates it is just genius, since i kinda thought it would just end up without them exchanging numbers for a moment there. The level of expression in Tsukiko kinda skyrocketed in this chapter and that´s so nice, gotta admit that it´s really amusing to see her just getting more confused about everything in every chapter that passes.

joined Oct 22, 2020

anyone know what the ch12 credits image is from?

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I'll confess I'm only reading this because of the art, but my god that slow-as-heck pacing and the stupidly weird dialogue are chores, almost feel like I'm reading a poor adaptation of Hanigare

last edited at Jun 9, 2021 9:35AM

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I like the strange visual flair this manga has. I find myself looking forward to it a lot these days.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Gay > Teenage Nihilism

last edited at Jun 2, 2021 8:41PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I like the way the blond girl is, how to put it, not an easy tsundere. Like sure, she's sort of this way because she gave up bla bla bla, but her isolation has some real force and runs deep, and you feel like she'd be unique and strange even without that. So when she doesn't get the point of some kind of trivial social interaction that everyone else takes for granted, her strength of personality kind of makes you look at it from a new perspective.
Lots of characters who are superficially like her are just sort of brittle and bitter, but basically waiting desperately for someone to pry open their shell--one or two pushes and their defences crumble. This girl has some solidity to her ramparts. And some distinctive architecture.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I decided to buy volume 3 just to read ahead. There's only 3 volumes in total, so it ends at chapter 19.

For anyone wondering about the ending, there's no yuri in it and the story ends after a time skip. They separate after graduation and Aya accidentally breaks her phone by dropping it in the water. She didn't back anything up, so she lost Tsukiko's contact information, but they reunite at the end. Just a nice story between two people with a vague distance between them.

Queen Kazama
Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

I like the way the blond girl is, how to put it, not an easy tsundere. Like sure, she's sort of this way because she gave up bla bla bla, but her isolation has some real force and runs deep, and you feel like she'd be unique and strange even without that. So when she doesn't get the point of some kind of trivial social interaction that everyone else takes for granted, her strength of personality kind of makes you look at it from a new perspective.
Lots of characters who are superficially like her are just sort of brittle and bitter, but basically waiting desperately for someone to pry open their shell--one or two pushes and their defences crumble. This girl has some solidity to her ramparts. And some distinctive architecture.

Yes. That. Like she's a more genuine rendition of this sort of character than usual. I aprob

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

I decided to buy volume 3 just to read ahead. There's only 3 volumes in total, so it ends at chapter 19.

For anyone wondering about the ending, there's no yuri in it and the story ends after a time skip. They separate after graduation and Aya accidentally breaks her phone by dropping it in the water. She didn't back anything up, so she lost Tsukiko's contact information, but they reunite at the end. Just a nice story between two people with a vague distance between them.

Ah

joined Aug 15, 2020

thanks a lot for this, the pacing drags so much, I was really wondering if it'll even be worth my time in the end...now I know

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

If you've never been in an ambivalent, confusing relationship like this before, consider yourself lucky, I guess? I've had several friendships like this and they've been some of the most confusing and exhausting relationships in my life. From both sides.

This is one of those stories, like A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow (which I'll go on the record as saying is one of my favorites) and Ikkoku Nikki (same) where the inability of people to open up to each other and clearly state what they mean or want is integral to the story, rather than a pacing or plot mechanic. And like Kakeochi Girl, the visual flair is there to show there's more going on under the surface with people than what they say or even think.

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

Yuri has always been about ambiguity and tenderness. I'm not disappointed at all whether or not they end up in a romantic relationship with each other. I too have shipping brain but more than that I want a story presented with artfulness and beauty, and that is exactly what this series is. Not every series has to have a romantic conclusion.

joined Jul 24, 2020

come on we don't need a chapter about the glasses guy (yes I know she is supposed to be a girl but come on)

Nathaniel Kamb
Fjy7x0qaaaandi2
joined Apr 23, 2019

^... I was about to say how much wanted this...
Anyway, expected this chapter, kinda surprised it didn't appear sooner, but i understand why it wouldn't
I've gotta say that i am surprised at what this girl was thinking for most of the time we've seen her, didn't expect her to be so complicated, though well, in the end she resulted to be more simple than at the start.
Man i just love the relationships between these characters, i love how they all feel alive and we can see their own set of worries and problems

joined Dec 30, 2018

Cute love the glasses girl

joined Jul 28, 2020

Great chapter, the vampire/starry night motifs that Aya's POV has tends to get drowned by how visually imposing Yano's fish visions are, so it was nice to see a bigger contrast through a character who views others as "jewels" who require polishing.
I hope we'll get a chapter for Love Brain girl and her flowers, they looked like Tulips, which in Hanakotoba would be either one-sided love (yellow) or fame/charity/trust (red). There's no color to be sure, but I'll bet they are yellow since she's Love Brain girl.
Incidentally, feeling the clash in the transition from inorganic jewels to scattered flowers made me realize how lucky Yano and Aya are that the latter's swimming fixation matches the former's fish fixation in a way.

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I like the way the author gives very unsubtle but beautiful and evocative imagery to let you know who's perspective is being shown and what general vibe they're feeling.

Also main pair is acting very cute these days lol.

last edited at Jun 6, 2021 12:51AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Ofercrissakes. I hate those.

To reply you must either login or sign up.