Forum › Girls Who Wanted to Be Chosen discussion

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Come on, everyone, believe in the coming of the “Yuri” tag! Make noise in this thread, clamoring for a sequel to satiate the demands for more “Yuri”! Waste not “Het” manga in this website without a following “Yuri” chapter, mustn’t disappoint the flocking flock of readers yearning for “Yuri”!

Ahem, (clearing my throat)— I enjoyed this one shot... May there be more from the same author.

As far as I know, this author only wrote a single series (completed at 3 volumes), "Youkoso Bourei Sougiya-san", which is shounen supernatural.

There's an ad for the volumes at the bottom of the double page at the beginning.

I didn't bother to translate it.

last edited at May 29, 2021 4:19PM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

About the subtext, even the Japanese readers noticed it.

https://twitter.com/tonarye/status/1395764881832378369

joined Nov 21, 2018

Is Japan just a society of completely self-absorbed egotists such that just being polite and decent becomes irresistibly rare and attractive?

The truth might be closer to this than anything else, though you still might have to stretch your expectations a bit. Japanese society is largely trained to mind their own business, so the everyday struggles of others are met with "not my problem".

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

Poor guy didnt even get a face. Is this like romantic objectification or something? Like a macguffin?

Based on TL notes that sounds more or less intentional - because he is no longer part of the story, he is just "that guy" now. An extra.

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

Childhood friend and tomboy lose to the main girl, a common tale, or so I'm told.

Not bad this one.

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

Oneshot-that-should-be-a-series strikes again!

The series actually ended when this oneshot starts. It was a series where an oblivious idiotic guy was being chased by three girls who were totally in love with him: a sporty girl, a childhood friend girl, and a heroine-type girl. In the end he chose the heroine and the series ended (and the oneshot began).

Wait. Are you just joking around or is there actually a series this is spun-off from?

-Harem but all the girls get tired of fighting and just date each other instead

Actually, it's common in many harem themes that the girls get along and wouldn't mind sharing the dude and fricking with each other. What I actually wish to see is two girls who compete for one dude but later on actually realize they love each other instead more than that dude. I've yet to find such a development in any work. Maybe The Fourth Heroine is a close one.

Try The Legend of Korra.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

They stayed friends with him and his gf? That never works out.

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

Yeah, The Fourth Heroine is a fun, satirical take on this concept.

joined Sep 13, 2018

i expected the serious girl to actually be in love with the other girl the whole time and just playing along with it until she confess in the trip but it was actually het.

Yokoe
joined Apr 8, 2018

That was nice, but I do wish they talked about things other than the guy. Feels like every conversation just wrapped itself back to him
B like that I suppose

wanderin_weeb
joined Mar 25, 2021

Oneshot-that-should-be-a-series strikes again!

The series actually ended when this oneshot starts. It was a series where an oblivious idiotic guy was being chased by three girls who were totally in love with him: a sporty girl, a childhood friend girl, and a heroine-type girl. In the end he chose the heroine and the series ended (and the oneshot began).

Not choosing the osananajimi should be a crime punishable by death.

Mifuyu-chan kawaisou... ●︿●

Eh... you know what they say, Osananajimi in harem anime is always a Make(losing) heroine (~'-')~
Unless it's yuri of course, then sometimes they win.

Edit : That Koibito tsunagi at the last page tho <(")

last edited at May 29, 2021 9:16PM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Whenever I try reading a harem series (for whatever reason) I never manage to overlook the fact that they all fall for a dude based on what is really extremely basic courtesy anyone should extend to anyone else. Like "he's nice" or "he smiled at me" or "he told me it would be okay when I was stressed out" or probably "he gave me directions once."

And I'm like, what happened to these girls to make their standards so low? Have they only ever been around abusive assholes their entire life before? Do they have untreated PTSD? Is Japan just a society of completely self-absorbed egotists such that just being polite and decent becomes irresistibly rare and attractive?

Anyway, yes, they should all just forget about him and fall for each other instead, that would be less demeaning.

Nah, they’re just high schoolers, I remember I fell in love with this girl once because she shared her fucking eraser with me in math class, kids, hell even adults too, fall in love for simple, sometimes dumb reasons

A8579f88-3796-4c80-9233-af508afff917
joined Jul 27, 2019

Nit: Page 006, bottom right: "you'vre" looks like a typo.

This was nice! …more girls in harems falling for each other please it's very nice

joined Jul 22, 2014

Huh surprisingly heart-warming, give me a sense of relief about harem anime despite my dislike, that should the guy choose one girl from his harem then the other girls can move on forming a new love with each other.
Too bad we never see this kind of aftermath of a harem anime.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I love this kind of premise, I just wish it didn't take itself so seriously (like it's based on the end of a harem manga, shouldn't we be having some more jokes!) and end with more Yuri as this reads more friendship to me and I want to see them be GAY

last edited at May 30, 2021 3:14AM

MapleLovesYuri
Okay%20magge
joined Mar 5, 2021

fuck i was like wheres the yuri and the hand holding happened and that matching heart thingys lol also thanks for the follow up with aitsu things it was really cute

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

That was nice. That handholding at the end was very self explanatory. Also this work kinda reminded me of this one https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_fourth_heroine

I was thinking the same thing!

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

subtext
mam that's fucking gay

joined Mar 1, 2018

Gay girls in a seemingly straight harem is a flavor of premise rife with potential. Imagine:
-Harem but the guy is suddenly and unexpectedly replaced by a girl (either literally or trans-ly)
-Harem but the clueless male lead doesn't realize that the harem actually belongs to one of the girls
-Harem but all the girls get tired of fighting and just date each other instead
-Harem but the guy chooses his (male) childhood friend

The list goes on...

Reminds me of one manga where a guy knows he's the protagonist of a harem but all the girls who are chasing him are actually gay and he knows it but still delusional until a few more chapters in.
Edit: Man, I can't seem to find it.

joined Mar 1, 2018

Actually, it's common in many harem themes that the girls get along and wouldn't mind sharing the dude and fricking with each other. What I actually wish to see is two girls who compete for one dude but later on actually realize they love each other instead more than that dude. I've yet to find such a development in any work. Maybe The Fourth Heroine is a close one.

On the contrary, I think of Transparent Light Blue.

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

So 34 pages of how much they love a guy and still do, but 1 page of them holding hands and it is subtext? lul.

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

Whenever I try reading a harem series (for whatever reason) I never manage to overlook the fact that they all fall for a dude based on what is really extremely basic courtesy anyone should extend to anyone else. Like "he's nice" or "he smiled at me" or "he told me it would be okay when I was stressed out" or probably "he gave me directions once."

And I'm like, what happened to these girls to make their standards so low? Have they only ever been around abusive assholes their entire life before? Do they have untreated PTSD? Is Japan just a society of completely self-absorbed egotists such that just being polite and decent becomes irresistibly rare and attractive?

I mean... do you need a reason to fall in love? Attraction is often immediate, and then deeper feelings are built from small interactions. Falling in love with someone who you are attracted to and who is also considerate and empathetic seem perfectly reasonable. He is described as someone who always pays attention to people around him, is always there to lend a shoulder and support you, listens and matches your pace when needed. If anything, it's too perfect - most people are way more selfish, and not only in Japan.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

babydel posted:

So 34 pages of how much they love a guy and still do, but 1 page of them holding hands and it is subtext? lul.

It's more about how they cope with the loss and learn to accept it. The guy is abstract: he has no face and no name. It's an after story about the end of an adolescent love.

And the subtext is not "out of the blue". Page 16 is a show of how they are bonding more than expected and learn more about each other. And that they call each other by their first name after a while.

It's subtle, but explicit at the same time. The Japanese readers didn't miss it. The last page can only be interpreted in that many ways, with the hand holding and the seashells.

Exlkqqju0aejg_x-orig
joined Apr 30, 2019

Harem manual: The boy must be kind
It's nonsense recycled into romance stories.
The good thing is that the heroine is the least attractive, I like that the two pretty girls started a story with each other

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And I just noticed that the title has a double meaning.

They wanted to be chosen.

So, in the end, they got chosen.

By each other.

To reply you must either login or sign up.