Forum › Image Comments

joined Dec 18, 2020
89236574_p8

^^ In the One Piece world the blood types are S, F, X, and FX.

Screenshot%20(2)
joined Apr 22, 2018
Ezluq0buyaaa4uy-orig

eggsactly

Tumblr_inline_nhvrix3pa41suuiq8
joined Feb 16, 2018
87324656_p0

god I wish there was more content for these 2

Magnum
joined Dec 2, 2016
Ezmslpuuyakbiz2-orig

Guau! Que pechochas! :D

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013
Ezluq0buyaaa4uy-orig

Those finger guns tho

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
Ezluq0buyaaa4uy-orig

^I love that touch- Pas really does a great job getting over this girls personality in so few panels.
Makes me really wanna see more of her.

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 12:53AM

Images
joined Sep 22, 2015
C62swetvwai_und-orig

nails? wut u... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

Normally I think its pretty weird and usually shitty to ship real people with audiences like streamers or musicians or whatever but the thing about vtubers, or at least Vtubers with a capital V, that makes it so different is like, the distance between the Person streaming and the Persona they're playing. And its a meaningful difference, the awareness the audience has that these anime women are a character being put on to a much bigger extent than most other streamers, who have to maintain a distance or else fall into an unhealthy parasocial relationship that we've all seen get only ever end poorly. And vtubers are also definitely feeding heavily into that parasocial relationship building, but that's all part of the relationship here.

I know the obvious comparison here is the idol industry, but honestly I think vtubers are most akin to Wrestlers. They come in to the audience with all these pre-written gimmicks and basic storylines planned and then come out to perform these characters to their audience for hours on end in kayfabe. And sure these personas are probably inspired by the real person, we can assume they have input into who they turn out to be/how much stays in kayfabe and what follows them around, and sometimes real life gets intertwined with the Storylines like Kiara visiting Callie or Crossick forming a real relationship, but just like we know when the Undertaker takes off his hat and becomes Mark William Callaway he isn't out here summoning skeletons to defeat brock lesner or whatever the fuck, we know the actress playing Kiara probably isn't herself a bird woman pining for death incarnate. Of course there will always be a fascination to peer behind the mask, to see for yourself whats real and what really is just kayfabe, but at the end of the day its a weird art form and we're just here to watch sweaty dudes beat the shit out of each other and/or anime girls flirt with each other in Minecraft. TLDR No matter how much we speculate vtubers are ultimately just a performance and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, recognizing this will only make for a better experience for everyone.

(though i hope the vtuber industry doesn't also have all the horrible labor and racism issues the WWE has!)

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

^That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean Vtubers also can't be actual friends with eachother either. Yes it's a blend of real life person and persona, as any entertainment personality is, even the most simple youtubers. However there are genuine aspects to them, and I don't believe that's getting into a parasocial relationship to acknowledge that either.

Also yes there are character elements they play up, and narratives entertainers such as these like to tell, but Vtubers also aren't entirely scripted either. Writing out scripts for hours of streaming 5ish days of the week would be honestly absurd.

I understand I think most of your view points, and agree with the general gist of what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with you either, as it sounds a bit cynical and jaded to me. Again, I strongly believe that I'm someone who can distance myself from entertainers. I don't feel attached to them or like I'm in a relationship with them, or that I actually know them. I see them ultimately as people with unknown lives, that have a streaming job and have a streaming personality that's still apart of who they are. Just like anybody and everybody out there that's been making Youtube videos for over 10 years. We'll never actually know the person, but that doesn't mean everything they're saying is entirely scripted and/or "just" a performance to make money and get views.

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 1:39AM

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

I wouldn't exactly say that Vtubers are just like Wrestlers. With wrestling, EVERYTHING that happens in the ring is completely scripted while in Vtuber streams the only act is the backstories that they come up and the voice that they put on (hell with Calli and Ina I don't think they even put on a voice lol). A lot of the things Vtubers say and do on stream is genuine. Like c'mon, you really think Amelia is acting when being toxic in her Apex streams?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

The comparison with wrestlers is certainly an apt one but at the same time, I feel that is underestimating how much influence the actresses have over the character and overestimating how much they're committed to the kayfabe. Most of the girls have dropped the idea of their character and are playing themselves to different degrees every time they stream.

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 1:56AM

Test%20pfp
joined Feb 23, 2020
Eycc0cbvebamk6c-orig

Yes.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013
Ezluq0buyaaa4uy-orig

Damn, girl! You played yourself!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014
Ezfzg2euyaqfuud-orig

Confession time; I actually thought this was Eula x Yanfei when I requested it because I wasn't really paying attention. Expect actual Eula x Yanfei soon-ish (I stand by what I said about Ganyu x Yanfei though).

joined Jul 26, 2016
Ezfzg2euyaqfuud-orig

^"blue hair, close enuff... whaddya mean horns?" :v

Maxresdefault-1
joined Mar 24, 2021
83593073_p2

Okakoro teetee (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019
Ezluq0buyaaa4uy-orig

This taken me a minute to process. But when it did I made such an ugly laugh XD

joined May 18, 2019
84849268_p2

pls they need to be alive, I love them both too much and they contributed to the lore

joined May 18, 2019
Ezkxtuvveao9oy1-orig

I want Kiara's KFBaseball bat to kill me

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021
84849268_p2

^ let's just hope they're still alive,they never show us their body,and we don't know what bellow that cliff,we need a proof if they really died

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020
It%20doesnt%20matter,%20it%20is%20still%20yuri%20(id=33987178)%20eng

This is a sort of prequel.
(That thing in Sakurako's word balloon is actually the character for "rice", just so you know.)

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021
Eirz7f-xyamfj4p-orig

we need a season 2 for her!

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

no no no see you misunderstand, thats exactly my point! When I make the comparison I don't mean to say "oh its all fake, its all scripted, just accept that, grr" but to bring kayfabe in as a way to understand whats going on here. No I don't think its scripted. We know that the actresses have a lot of input into their personas, and are no doubt mostly filtering their own genuine selves through the lens of that persona. But think of the dedication that takes, to do that 4-9 hours straight however many days every week! Particularly the ones who're doing a voice too. Like, in wrestling which is a whole other level of manufactured content I'll give you that, I think the thing is that no matter how much booking you put on someone or how favorable you want them to be seen by the audience no matter how good of a gimmick, it all comes down to the strength of the performer to make it work. Like, think of how memorable the Macho Man is so many years later, or like those fuckin, Da Vinky twins. Even if the vtubers persona is almost entirely 90 percent themself with a little gimmick, its ultimately still A Performance like anything is when you have an audience like that. And like I think I'm mainly talking about The Big-to-Medium Vtuber Companies here, the ones Engaging With Quintessential Vtuberness, not like small independent streamers who're just adding a little persona and doing their regular thing. Honestly this is already what streamers are doing but to the next level.

And this is why like, fan engagement like shipping and backstory is encouraged and made in a way that isn't creepy the way it is with like, those gross minecraft streamers or whatever. Because of the distance that is made, because there is a real effort to protect the identities of the actresses playing them, what people are engaging with here is this remarkable concoction of the original gimmick, the anime woman on screen, the streamer's personality being filtered behind the persona to varying degrees, the layer of performance, the streamer's genuine self as expressed through performance, and the context of the wider Culture of Vtubers around it.

And I don't think that's cynical at all! Rather, it's a pretty remarkable thing, no?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017
Ezymu-lvgaaldtr-orig

^Thanks for explaining more! I understand your views better now, and yeah you don't sound as cynical as I originally thought. It is honestly very remarkable how it all comes together. The only thing I can really add is that big company Vtubers also have a lot of leeway with their personas and how they choose to act, in a similar fashion as indie Vtubers. Main thing is that there are some lines they can't cross and a certain amount of red tape they have to deal with, basically the company owns the rights to their character and they have tighter restrictions while also gaining more protection/legal help and promotion. Which isn't too bad of a trade off honestly, since there's various restrictions every successful entertainer has to place on themselves. Being in a public spotlight and having everything you say scrutinized can be a swift demise if an entertainer plays their cards wrong any day of the week.

Anyhow, I think this has honestly been a good conversation, thanks!

Edit: One other thing is that joining a company does have some risks as well, but I imagine having professional legal help with matters such as DMCA must be such a relief. The DMCA strike nonsense seems to only be getting worse, and screwing content creators more and more. It's really unfortunate how things like that are so harmful.

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 12:44PM

Ab59ca3b19cdeaaa017711fd2fed011712597cdd
joined Feb 5, 2021
89224232_p0

Be careful Senchou, you wouldn't want Noel to go get her mace.

We all saw what she did to poor Subaru.

This topic has been locked.