Forum › The Girl Through the Viewfinder discussion

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

She's moving huh?

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I love how you can really feel the heat and summer lazy feeling in these chapters - - makes me feel like I'm in summer vacation with them. Can't tell who I want to root for now, but I just hope Hajime makes happy memories with everyone!!

joined Mar 15, 2013

It's perfectly reasonable for someone to see similarities in a character, or character type, in one series to a character in another one.
In this case, I don't think it's particularly informative to see Homani as a version of Sayaka in Yagakimi (for one thing, Sayaka is not at all Touko's "childhood friend"--they first met as first-years in high school), but the basic concept of making character parallels is hardly one that merits someone coming in to a discussion and ordering people not to do it. Thank you.

Not ordering just tell (╹◡╹)♡
But if u think that is ordering
Reung kong mung isus

joined Feb 17, 2021

ngl I kind of feel relieved to know she's not dying like I initially thought would happen lol anyway, thanks for the update!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Page 23: "You've coming" should be "You've come".

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

All the character with black hair look the same to me. I can only really tell them apart through dialogue.

anyway, ichy is goin' to brazil

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

moving schools is so dramatic at that age, huh?

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

ngl I kind of feel relieved to know she's not dying like I initially thought would happen lol anyway, thanks for the update!

lmao ikr, i totally thought it was something way more serious

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

That hug! MY HEART HURTS!

joined Jan 3, 2020

Depends. I hated school and had few friendships, none more than superficial until maybe last year of high school. And even those friends I eventually left without a word (though, I was surprised that two of them did track me down and attempt to reach out).

I am sure several others in the community here have had similar experiences.

joined Jan 5, 2020

my issue is that it feels like a lot of the stories i've read recently have main characters with the tropes of touko and yuu without really understanding why they worked so well in bloom into you. it just feels surface level, like a pale imitation. the main one i'm thinking of here is whispering you a love song, which i admittedly haven't been keeping up with lately. from the first chapters of that story all i could think of was how similar those main characters are to touko and yuu. (and there's a sayaka character too.) and then the story just... didn't seem to really get it. it just felt like it took those tropes to try to tell a story similar to bloom into you without understanding that tropes are only surface level.

I have to ask. Where in the almighty hells did you manage to get the idea that Yori has trauma and doesn’t want her love to be reciprocated in Whispering You A Love Song? That’s not the case at all. Yeah, Himari is immature and doesn’t really get what love is (and has an impressively dubious grasp on her native language), but she’s not thinking she might be aromantic like Yuu. About all they have as parallels to Bloom Into You is the sempai/kohai dynamic and that’s almost a standard trope for school girl yuri. The best friend who’s secretly in love with one of the protagonists but will never admit it is also a very common trope that predates Bloom Into You. You’re being very shallow in how you look at things if you’re just automatically assigning Bloom Into You roles to characters in every yuri manga you come across.

i'm not trying to say that all of the yuri that's been taking inspiration from bloom into you is bad or that taking inspiration is bad. there are some that i really like, actually. it doesn't feel like come rain or shine takes many of those obvious touko, yuu, or sayaka tropes, but it still reminds me of bloom into you, because i think arata iri gets what made it so good (she definitely read it)--it's the fundamental stuff that's key to romance stories, the themes and complimentary character arcs. the rest is window dressing.

Jeez, man. We get it. You like Bloom Into You. But that doesn’t mean every ofher yuri author out there writing school girl yuri has read it or was inspired by it. Come Rain or Shine doesn’t even have the Sayaka like character!

and on the other hand, a monster wants to eat me feels like it more obviously takes from the bloom into you character tropes, but i've still been thoroughly enjoying it. maybe it's because of the beauty and the beast factor and the monsters, or maybe it's because it gets it--right now it's a bit too early to tell.

A Monster Wants To Eat Me also doesn’t have senpai/kohai dynamics. Or other pertinent tropes that I won’t mention to avoid spoilers for recent chapters.

but yeah, this is just something i've been noticing in yuri (the yuri that gets translated at least) and i felt like commenting on it this time. like, this story is taking from the obvious character tropes AND rushing all the way to the play arc within the first 3 chapters. it's taking so much from bloom and just speeding it up. i don't even know these people yet. it makes me worried that it doesn't understand that it's the broader strokes that actually matter. it's obviously still too early to tell right now, but i just felt like talking about it.

Dude, seriously, just because there are vague similarities to another manga doesn’t mean it was inspired by that other manga. There are tons of school girl yuri manga out there. Not all of them take inspiration from Bloom Into You. And the ones you seem to think do take inspiration involve some Olympic record long jump type leaps and mental gymnastics that would put a gold medal floor routine to shame.

Kawaii-anime-25355452-560-420
joined Feb 24, 2015

I've the same experience , so ... Yeah, at that time it was ;)

joined Dec 5, 2019

Yup, you bet if I moved schools at high school I would be a drama queen, I still am friends with my friends from back then.

Azumaya%20koyuki
joined Oct 2, 2014

Just for the record, in Japan, what month does school start and when does each semester end? When and how long is summer vacation and the cultural festival? When do they generally take their midterms and final exams? I do recall students go to school on Saturdays in Japan too, but would be nice if someone could confirm this.

King_snowman_2
joined Mar 20, 2021

Just for the record, in Japan, what month does school start and when does each semester end? When and how long is summer vacation and the cultural festival? When do they generally take their midterms and final exams? I do recall students go to school on Saturdays in Japan too, but would be nice if someone could confirm this.

I'll do my best to give you what knowledge I have for your question!
The Japanese school year begins in April and ends in March the following year. I know they use a 3 term system but I don't remember how those terms are divided up, or when their mid terms and final exams are held within those 3 terms. Doing math though they should be approximately 4 months long with breaks scattered throughout. The Summer holidays for them starts usually around July-August, and lasts for 30-40 or so days.

The cultural festival is a bit of a wild card. From my understanding its usually held on a weekend, either a Saturday or Sunday, maybe even both days, and is usually in the Autumn. But from what I've heard, the individual schools will change this up to whatever they deem fit for themselves.

These days more and more schools in Japan have adopted the 5 day a week school system, so schools that actually hold classes on Saturdays have become the minority from what I've heard from my Japanese friends about their high school experience.
I hope this added some clarity for you!
ヽ(o^ ^o)ノ

last edited at Apr 14, 2021 7:45PM

joined Apr 15, 2021

Thank yuri god, for a second I thought that girl was terminal or something. What a relief

joined Feb 17, 2021

Aww we didn't get to see their interactions much but man kei's monologue... hooh. Thanks for this!

joined Sep 11, 2019

Is this Heartache?

Hitsuji Hinata
joined Apr 9, 2021

It hurt a lot when I changed schools, kinda dramatic but years after moving were some of the worst teen years. My brother had to move in the middle of school year later and it was really difficult for him too

last edited at Apr 24, 2021 11:50PM

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Big Cancer and Truck-kun are nowhere in sight thankfully!

Thumbs
joined Apr 16, 2012

Thank u KingSnowman8 for translating this I really enjoy reading this!
And the credit page cracks me up!
Again thank u!

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Aren't these chapters a bit too bland and a bit too long?

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

The right length to be great. This was a nice story.

Curious about the chapter count though, since anilist says it has 9 in total but the author mentions only 7 and there are 8 posted here...

KingSnowman8
King_snowman_2
joined Mar 20, 2021

The right length to be great. This was a nice story.

Curious about the chapter count though, since anilist says it has 9 in total but the author mentions only 7 and there are 8 posted here...

Actually that confused me a great deal too a while back. What ended up happening was two of these chapters that I've translated for you guys were originally released as two separate chapters. One of those is Chapter 7, and though I'm not sure, I think the other one was chapter 1, adding up to 9 chapters in the original release. Then they combined those into single chapters for the release of the manga volumes, while also adding a bonus chapter to the story (chapter 7.5).

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

So it's ending just before the confession? A decent way to end, if a bit cliffhanger-y. A nice story

To reply you must either login or sign up.