Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

What is this "cultural phenomenon" you speak of? Thats sounds really interesting, could you give me some information on it? If its offensive that's fine, different culturals have elements that can seem offensive or strange to our culture, but I would still like to learn about them.

It's not all that different. The basic idea, which might not even happen in the manga, is that Rei has intentionally adopted a caricature of being gay that mimics entertainers on TV. The gay person that is the butt of every joke due to their goofy and eccentric personality might be a bit more familiar. Apparently there is a specific archetype this passage refers to that western readers wouldn't recognize. Hence it getting cut. Loosely, Rei wants to be able to get closer to women she's interested in, but when they find out she is a lesbian, they distance themselves entirely. So she adopts the caricature that so many people have been complaining about in this thread, which she openly admits reproduces homophobia, because there's not really anything else she can do but laugh at herself and her situation and try not to be alienated from those she loves.

It really does suck that it was cut since Rei never goes back and struggles with, revisits, or overcomes this aspect of herself. Here are the exact text changes:
https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/4188/seven-seas-in-trouble-for-heavy-alterations-and-censorship-of-light-novels/68?lang=en-US

last edited at Mar 27, 2021 4:45AM

joined Mar 27, 2021

I'm about a fourth of the way through the novel, to where Rei is more or less forced into commitment despite her fear and quiet despair over the prospect of loving without reciprocation. The novel is actually a very powerful literary achievement. It's literature. It's not only yuri as entertainment, it is about yuri and the courage it takes to love in a hostile world. All the fun stuff is just icing.

Exactly my thought! That's why this is in my top ten favorite yuri.

7cef6765-347e-4891-9364-552dfe71ffd8
joined Sep 28, 2020

congrats to Inori-sensei for getting 5th in the anime ka shite hoshii poll!!! the world building in this is truly great, as is the commentary and characters, so an anime would really be amazing for a series like this.

joined Mar 27, 2021

Ah yes! The pain of falling in love with your straight friend. It feels so real that I'm scared lol.

joined Jan 6, 2017

What is this "cultural phenomenon" you speak of? Thats sounds really interesting, could you give me some information on it? If its offensive that's fine, different culturals have elements that can seem offensive or strange to our culture, but I would still like to learn about them.

It's not all that different. The basic idea, which might not even happen in the manga, is that Rei has intentionally adopted a caricature of being gay that mimics entertainers on TV. The gay person that is the butt of every joke due to their goofy and eccentric personality might be a bit more familiar. Apparently there is a specific archetype this passage refers to that western readers wouldn't recognize. Hence it getting cut. Loosely, Rei wants to be able to get closer to women she's interested in, but when they find out she is a lesbian, they distance themselves entirely. So she adopts the caricature that so many people have been complaining about in this thread, which she openly admits reproduces homophobia, because there's not really anything else she can do but laugh at herself and her situation and try not to be alienated from those she loves.

It really does suck that it was cut since Rei never goes back and struggles with, revisits, or overcomes this aspect of herself. Here are the exact text changes:
https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/4188/seven-seas-in-trouble-for-heavy-alterations-and-censorship-of-light-novels/68?lang=en-US

So it's just SSE being shit like usual. This is why I just bought the Japanese novel instead of the English one (even though I can't read Japanese).

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

umicxrn posted:

congrats to Inori-sensei for getting 5th in the anime ka shite hoshii poll!!! the world building in this is truly great, as is the commentary and characters, so an anime would really be amazing for a series like this.

I saw the news! beyond being yuri, it's a great story

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

Inori sensei is such a genius, this is actually a huge success. What more sensei always replies to my tweets, >< You don't know how happy I am whenever i get response. I hope this will get an anime but not like urasekai picnic or citrus, they did my precious Toriko and Sorao dirty with those poor animation. Please please please

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Finally got around to reading this chapter. Hooray for Claire showing her dere side! The ending's another pretty big change from the novel - originally, Rei didn't interrupt Thane's headpats. But in this version, not only does Rei accidentally clam-jam Claire, Claire doesn't even get mad at her at all, Claire lets slip how worried she was for Rei.

Between this and the end of chapter 7, the manga does seem to be having their relationship progress slightly faster than the original source's slowburn, though it's still probably too early to tell for sure. Either way, I'm all for it.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Just binge read through both volumes of the light novel. So happy to see this scene in the manga - - it's definitely cuter and more telling of how things are changing in Claire's treatment of Rei. I love the game part of this world too haha.

Ve-rei good.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Whooo! I remember reading this LN in one go a few years back. I can't believe it's being turned into an anime too! Woohoo!!!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I can't believe it's being turned into an anime too!

It's not. They just ranked 5th on a poll about whatfans want to see in anime. There is no guarantee it got an anime.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

So it's just SSE being shit like usual. This is why I just bought the Japanese novel instead of the English one (even though I can't read Japanese).

That's not what I was saying at all. It's that this was a fairly routine cut (with unintended consequences) likely produced by the culture of fear around publishing right now. There's also still that weird expectation fans have for direct translations.

The electronic version was updated and any new prints will have the cuts back in them. Not sure how to actually acquire a later edition

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 3:34PM

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

It's not. They just ranked 5th on a poll about whatfans want to see in anime. There is no guarantee it got an anime.

What a pity. Well, let's just hope this spikes in popularity and can get an anime adaption

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

What a pity. Well, let's just hope this spikes in popularity and can get an anime adaption

Knowing this has ranked #1 in the LGBT section of Amazon sales and 6# in the Light Novels section as well as 5# in the "anime ka shite hoshii" that had around quarter a million voters, yea, I think it got fairly popular enough for an anime.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

The main idea of this story is interesting, but it's not something super original either, since isekai is not an uncommon theme in manga. The pacing, if you read all the chapters together is good.
The world building is a little weird, because when Rei got in, there wasn't magic and there weren't any signs of these element monsters being around. Adding them 8 chapters later feels like the author wasn't sure about how they wanted the world to be from the start. Anyway, the magic part is not bad though.
The overall plot is interesting, but the weak spots are the main character and her (lack of) chemistry with Claire.
I liked that chapter where they were talking about mc's sexuality, because we got a glimpse of how she actually was in real life. This gave her more depth, because other than that, I find her character cartoonish. She's just an idiot and it doesn't make any sense why she likes Claire that much. I mean, it was just a character from a game...I know this is supposed to be for comedic reasons and the only way to make Claire warm up around Rei, but Rei enjoying getting bullied by her is a bit cringey and makes her look like an idiot.
And now we are at the point of getting a development between Claire and Sein lol. I was like, yeah start dating, I don't care. Because the chemistry between Claire and Rei is almost zero. I know it makes sense regarding Claire's character and how she is "destined" to dislike Rei, but so far I don't care much about shipping them. Also I can't say I like Claire much either, because she is behaving like that typical kinda idiot villain too. Other than showing signs that she doesn't want to really bully the mc, she gives off that typical spoiled brat vibe. But I'm sure there will be a development regarding the characters, so I will wait to see my overall opinions until later.

I'm really curious to see if we will get an explanation about why Rei got Isekai'd, if she will reveal it to Claire once they get closer, if she will go back to her world, or even if Claire would go back with her.
These are the main attractions to the story for me right now, and I want to see them getting addressed until the end. I think it will be shallow and a waste of potential otherwise, to just have Rei stay in that world forever and pretend the getting transferred into a game was normal.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The world building is a little weird, because when Rei got in, there wasn't magic and there weren't any signs of these element monsters being around. Adding them 8 chapters later feels like the author wasn't sure about how they wanted the world to be from the start. Anyway, the magic part is not bad though.

I don't think chapter 2 counts as adding magic 8 chapters later.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't think chapter 2 counts as adding magic 8 chapters later

What I meant was, the magic felt out of place because they only started developing it pretty later. That part you posted was like "yeah there's this challenge you can play in the game" and that's it. You don't see the magic around the school much or at all before the whole Water slime monster.

joined Aug 16, 2020

The main idea of this story is interesting, but it's not something super original either, since isekai is not an uncommon theme in manga. The pacing, if you read all the chapters together is good.
The overall plot is interesting, but the weak spots are the main character and her (lack of) chemistry with Claire.
I liked that chapter where they were talking about mc's sexuality, because we got a glimpse of how she actually was in real life. This gave her more depth, because other than that, I find her character cartoonish. She's just an idiot and it doesn't make any sense why she likes Claire that much. I mean, it was just a character from a game...I know this is supposed to be for comedic reasons and the only way to make Claire warm up around Rei, but Rei enjoying getting bullied by her is a bit cringey and makes her look like an idiot.
And now we are at the point of getting a development between Claire and Sein lol. I was like, yeah start dating, I don't care. Because the chemistry between Claire and Rei is almost zero. I know it makes sense regarding Claire's character and how she is "destined" to dislike Rei, but so far I don't care much about shipping them. Also I can't say I like Claire much either, because she is behaving like that typical kinda idiot villain too. Other than showing signs that she doesn't want to really bully the mc, she gives off that typical spoiled brat vibe. But I'm sure there will be a development regarding the characters, so I will wait to see my overall opinions until later.

I'm really curious to see if we will get an explanation about why Rei got Isekai'd, if she will reveal it to Claire once they get closer, if she will go back to her world, or even if Claire would go back with her.
These are the main attractions to the story for me right now, and I want to see them getting addressed until the end. I think it will be shallow and a waste of potential otherwise, to just have Rei stay in that world forever and pretend the getting transferred into a game was normal.

Honestly, I also had the same thought when I read the LN, I was really disturbed with how Rei acted with Claire and was confused af. But honestly, with the amount of chapters I had to wait to get an explanation, I doubt it’ll be shown in the manga. It probs might takes years. I highly recommend you reading the LN to have all your questions answered.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Honestly, I also had the same thought when I read the LN, I was really disturbed with how Rei acted with Claire and was confused af. But honestly, with the amount of chapters I had to wait to get an explanation, I doubt it’ll be shown in the manga. It probs might takes years. I highly recommend you reading the LN to have all your questions answered.

Didn't know this had a LN. I just checked it and it's 242 chapters. I wonder if one LN chapter =one manga chapter. Because that would be huge. Regardless, the manga will still be long either way, so yeah it will take years. I'll start reading the LN then, even though I like manga as a medium better.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

Didn't know this had a LN. I just checked it and it's 242 chapters. I wonder if one LN chapter =one manga chapter. Because that would be huge. Regardless, the manga will still be long either way, so yeah it will take years. I'll start reading the LN then, even though I like manga as a medium better.

I have read all the 1st act of the WN and now on the 2nd one. I have to say this manga is one of the most faithful adaptation to the WN. And yes one manga chapter equal one WN chapper. Because of this this WN can be one of the most slow burn manga out there, taking it run all the character you see in these few chapters will be explored later on, all your doubts and questions will be answered. So don't be worried.

Furthermore, i cannot praise enough on how they translated the WN to the manga. The characters are so lively and have such deeper meaning in their eyes. This even exceeded than what i can imagine. I felt in love the second time the moment i read this. You can call this is the kind of story that i was lured into by the yuri, and continue staying for the plot.
Have a nice trip with your read!

joined Apr 13, 2021

I just made an account to express my gratitude to everyone involved in the scanlation of this manga! Unfortunately I can't support you guys financially, but I appreciate all the work you put into this manga every month, it makes my day everytime I read a new chapter! Thank you so much :)

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

Boy, Im not really a fan of Novels but with this slow pace and all those suspicious spoilers tags and all the comments, it's makin me so itchy to just buy the trilogy novels from SevenSeas... Im so excited to know...

joined Jan 6, 2017

Boy, Im not really a fan of Novels but with this slow pace and all those suspicious spoilers tags and all the comments, it's makin me so itchy to just buy the trilogy novels from SevenSeas... Im so excited to know...

You can also read the web novel for free. Would save you money and you can just drop it if it's not for you and it would give you a better product /hj

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Saw this mentioned on Discord, but it seems like the official English manga by SevenSeas changed some things in their translation. One example being this part with Rod from an early chapter:

Left is the fan translation (which I understand is more accurate) and right is the SevenSeas version. There's probably more changes besides this. Can't say I'm a fan, considering the entire point of the original line was lost on both accounts (Rod's implying Rei's a noble and her father was the reason she's at school, both of which are completely wrong). Also it's making Rod seem like even more of an arrogant fuckboy than he originally was lol

Volume 2 of the novel also had some cut lines for some reason. Supposedly at least some of these will be getting fixed in updated versions, at least.

last edited at Apr 13, 2021 1:58PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/317170039767957504/830377294706114590/Ex2reyWWQAEy0Sp.jpeg) (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/317170039767957504/830377294387478548/Ex2reyVXEAcVDpz.jpeg)

Left is the fan translation (which I understand is more accurate) and right is the SevenSeas version. There's probably more changes besides this. Can't say I'm a fan, considering the entire point of the original line was lost on both accounts (Rod's implying Rei's a noble and her father was the reason she's at school, both of which are completely wrong). Also it's making Rod seem like even more of an arrogant fuckboy than he originally was lol

The left is saying that Rei's a commoner and that she's very different from Noble girls. And she got into the school thanks to the King's new scholarship policy:
"[The people's discontent at the government] concerned the king, who began to promote a meritocratic policy [...] the scholarship system at the Royal Academy was part of this policy’s implementation" (from the LN)

So the fan translation is correct

last edited at Apr 13, 2021 3:05PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.