Forum › A Senpai Who Can’t Stand Manga Where the Girl Is Considered More Attractive After Changing Her Appearance discussion

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I love "Belligerent Yuri."

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Author has been reading too much Useless Princesses.

I was thinking the same. Yep damn that irritated me.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

This trope is supposed to be symbolic, thats its a character Coming out of their Shell and its that change that makes others see Them differently

But of course, like a ton of litterary tropes, its silly if you take it litterally

A8eb27cb4a70a5-a-nw-p
joined Feb 17, 2020

I can't unsee Akemi Homura on the cover of the manga she's holding

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 6:05PM

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

this deserves the 'Wholesome' tag.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

b58 posted:

she's so fucking angry lmao

That's because she has a point, lol.

Untitled
joined Sep 8, 2017

Aggressively gay and honest

Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

I don't think it's that they become more attractive when they slick back their hair and take off their glasses, per se. It's moreso that a girl who was already attractive ends up looking cooler and more laid back as opposed to the plainer nerdier look, prior, which I suppose gives her the feel of being more attractive when she was always this attractive but was just hiding it with plain-fashion. This is actually the case in Hori-Miya where the main guy isn't even a Plain Nerd or anything and is actually an attractive delinquent who dresses plainly to divert attention from himself. Like, even the aforementioned Useless Princess had this case where the main girl was already quoted as being attractive but her becoming more fashionable made her actually stand out as being attractive, by bringing more attention to that aspect. The Second SonoHana game had this, too, where Kaede was quoted as probably being more beautiful than Sara, an actual Fashion Model, but she dresses so plainly bc she's an introvert that hates attention. It's a trope associated, in many ways, with people who are introverts becoming more extroverted, really.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Honestly, in most cases they actually do look better before changing their appearance...

Agreed! I too like the girl better before the makeover.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwww. :D

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

This girl believes in glasses supremacy

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

A really old trope: ...

joined Nov 16, 2017

This story was so cute!!! Omg lol

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

Big agree.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

this is so true omg. meganes with braids are definitely cute not plain. senpai i salute.

This reminds me of that guy on social media who angrily gives out compliments while shouting lmao love it

Fc30b8c18898ba98167bd0db444c72ba-compressed
joined Sep 25, 2020

Nice

Atlantaicon
joined Jun 8, 2017

this is so true omg. meganes with braids are definitely cute not plain. senpai i salute.

Well, depends on how they're drawn, really.

Makes me wonder if anyone has done it so the megane-with-braids gets a makeover to turn into...a megane-with-braids, but drawn more attractively.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Makes me wonder if anyone has done it so the megane-with-braids gets a makeover to turn into...a megane-with-braids, but drawn more attractively.

I really want to see this now...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And then, they had angry sex.

8ldsxx8gdfh7s211
joined Jan 11, 2019

acting like the glasses were what made them plain and not the literal lack of eyeballs

Ah yes, not having eyeballs, the most normal and boring quality a girl can possess.

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

I really want to see this now...

I want to see this as well. I actually think i might have seen it somewhere already, maybe, but no clue where or what exactly. The problem in general as that they are drawn plain overall which brings a little stigma.

Ohno
joined Nov 13, 2018

you dropped this queen

A2912
joined Apr 20, 2019

Not sure if it was the artist's intention, but I would put Onoda Kanae from Virgin's Empire in this category.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

What doubly sucks about this trope is why is it never the other way around? Why can't adding glasses and braids be attractive? I feel bad for the women who have those things.

To reply you must either login or sign up.