Forum › Ikoku Nikki discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

About time we got this one here.

This manga contains doses of Het, lesbians, asexual people and who knows, probably even more diversity in the future. These are so sparse as story elements that they will be tagged for their specifically notable chapters, but otherwise will likely remain untagged...I think.

This is a great series, you should read it!

last edited at Jan 17, 2021 10:46AM

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

Oh, it is here! Amazing manga, enjoy!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

HMMmMmmMmM if you say so, I guess I could give it a try... just kidding lol I know this series very well and I can say with confidence that this is one of the best I've read in my life, it's a manga about life and it does a great job telling it.

Glad to see it finally here, I hope lots of people get to read it and learn some life lessons from it.

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

^^ This

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’ve been talking this one up in various places on Dynasty forever—some very general resemblances in the setup to Living with My Brother’s Wife and Haru and Midori, although more emotionally jagged than either of those.

One of my current favorites, and I’m really glad to see it here.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

This is a fantastic series! It's so grounded and thoughtful.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I'm two chapters in, and I'm laughing and crying at the same time. This is going to be a bit of a ride, I suspect.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm two chapters in, and I'm laughing and crying at the same time. This is going to be a bit of a ride, I suspect.

Oh yeah they're suddenly in a very awkward situation, trying to understand each others and they're soooooo different...

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Holy shit it’s finally here!!! This series is a masterpiece. I stumbled on this on MD way back when it was tagged yuri. It baited me but I pretty much stayed for everything else! This story gives such a good and nuanced take on so many topics ranging from heavy and complicated stuff like grief and estranged families to hilarious clashes between an extrovert and introvert. It’s sometimes bittersweet, or even sad (I cried at some points) but also slice of life moments that are very relatable.

The dialogue is so good: the flow, the banter, and how it sometimes conveys so much with so little. Don’t let the summary fool you, while Asa and Makio are the main characters, there’s a lot of focus on other characters too. Everyone is so very likeable and I love all the different relationships between them (which is rare for me, normally there’s always at least one or two characters/relationship that I don’t care about...).

In some of the chapters (especially the recent ones), it does take several rereads to understand every layer but that’s less on the author and more on me missing (subtle) clues on the first read.

I miss the cooking though, with the ingredients and recipes, but I guess the story has long since passed the awkward, see which way the cat jumps dynamic during the first months in the Makio and Asa household.

Massive shoutout to the scanlator group for doing a fantastic job (some chapters were basically a one man job!)!

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Ohhhh yes, glad to see this here. I hope anyone new to it enjoys it as much as we have been over on MD.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Yeah, this is outstanding, thanks for posting it.

joined Dec 1, 2016

one of the best i've ever read

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Oh shit this is on here

Nice!

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

That... was one of the most amazing takes on toxic masculinity I've ever read. Yamashita Tomoko is quickly rising to be one of my favorite authors. I am in awe.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That... was one of the most amazing takes on toxic masculinity I've ever read. Yamashita Tomoko is quickly rising to be one of my favorite authors. I am in awe.

The lawyer that can't read the room is also one of the most enjoyable characters I've seen around... But yeah when I see stuff like that scene, it makes me understand others a lot and at the same time it's frustrating that there are so many people missing out these things that should be basic... I don't know if this works as an anime but I would like one, I just want more people to know STUFF
The people around you force you to behave certain way, like certain things and do some nasty stuff that you don't like, all because you're afraid of being left behind or being "that weird girl/guy" it's so cruel and people just think "that's just how it is" but in this manga, we have a lot of characters that won't settle with that.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is underrated.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

This comic is deep and thoughtful. I appreciate the depiction of teenagers as people genuinely struggling to understand themselves and the world. Also I am glad for the depiction of grief as something that can overwhelm your feelings and make you numb. Sometimes people are shamed for not feeling sad immediately after a loss, which is incredibly unkind.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

One of the most intriguing cliffhangers so far..... Asa, can you handle this?! I'm scared!

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Damn this is gooood. I love how all the characters really act their age. It's really refreshing to see characters in their mid 30s act like real life 30 year olds. I feel like a lot of times media always focuses on the teens and early 20s so whenever they write people in their 30s, they come across as like people about to be lowered into their grave hahaha. It's nice to see characters around my age being properly portrayed with their own problems and insecurities. I also like how they write this from Asa's pov. Like how by living with her aunt, learns that adults are real people too.

The topics that are tackled in this manga are handled with so much care and finesse. It all comes across really naturally too. And how the story slowly reveals who were Asa's parents and their relationships to the people around them, ah I love it so much.

I'm really looking forward for more!

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

God this chapter rules.

Taking Asa to task for the incessant micro-agressions and what sounds like an anecdote from some irl trans friend of the author. Good shit.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

This was a damn good chapter

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Those shoes converted into high heels with random blocks of wood. That's poetry right there.

last edited at Apr 13, 2021 12:43PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

"Though it'd be nice if we could avoid having to fight"
This line hit me so damn hard!! like YEEEAHHH PLEASE!! it's so tiring!

Same feelings as before, I wish everyone in the world could read this, things could look really complicated but in practice they're actually quite simple, so long as we speak God dammit Nozomi! Talk with Shino! And Shino, Realize already!

This cliffhanger was killing me really, thank you for sharing in dynasty... This is a good place to have this masterpiece!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Frankly it's the best manga I've read. And I'm not qualifying this with anything or saying "in that regard" or "up until here" or something. I just think it's the best.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Getting chapters of this and My Brother’s Wife back-to-back proves there is a meaningful pattern to the universe.

To reply you must either login or sign up.