Forum › Ikoku Nikki discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

also just really feels like a conversation

Just all the scenes are really great at this. Typically in stories there's a certain toke-ism towards this; like maybe they are at a restaurant and you get the tail of somebody ordering and maybe then at a narratively critical point the waiter comes to interrupt. Here it's just "we're talking about this topic but we're also discussing what we're about to order and maybe the other people are simultaneously talking also about this but also having their own separate conversation and then ..."

And, sure, it's not the sort of thing where everything is immediately obvious. But I wouldn't say it's ever confusing what's going on or anything like that. It's just made to feel real.

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Man, how I wish Emiri were the main character instead of that personality black hole Asa.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

How can something so serious make me laugh so hard? Witty banter between writers is totally my thing.

joined Jun 9, 2018

This reminds me a bit of Houseki no Kuni.

Nightflier1
joined Aug 12, 2021

New chapter!

I didn't get the last bubble entirely, but I loved that we got some insight in what Makio's life before was and how she came to writing. And more of the dynamic in her family.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

In a rare moment I was kinda sympathetic to the older sister, clearly she feels she's under some pressure, whether it's real or just perceived; and she isn't handling it well. But of course what happened afterwards ...

Good background chapter. Usually I'm not too into flashbacks but trust this manga to get it right and tie it to what's going on currently, too; of course.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Yesss more background story for Makio and her sister. Their relationship is such a complicated one and her sister seems like such a complex character that I always look forward to more info on her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So funny how two new chapters have only a couple of comments.

I suspect that's because there's not much to say except, "This is so good! I can't wait for more!"

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm just sad that the relationship with the sister started to break apart waaaaay back, they drifted apart without a chance to recover.
And in this case, as meme as it sounds, we have to blame society, well, the sickening obsession she has with being the most ultra successful normal person was on her, so obsessed with that that she wanted everyone else in the vicinity to be like that.

Her debut in public as a writer was in that moment, you could say, at that moment it was the highest point of her life with what she loves, and if I understand correctly she forgot that too.

As for the previous chapters, I already say it XD I'm a fool, the whole thing was above my level

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

So funny how two new chapters have only a couple of comments.

I suspect that's because there's not much to say except, "This is so good! I can't wait for more!"

Lol I noticed this too and I think it's a common reaction to a lot of really good introspective series. There's not a lot to comment on since it already does such a good job of portraying things and there's no real plot to speculate on since it's slice of life. All we're here for is to enjoy the ride and watch the characters grow.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

... also the characters aren't so "extreme" in what they do so you don't provoke as much readers response; ie, in a different manga, the older sister would have just been a complete over-the-top psychopath and then everyone would have discussed how bad that really is or maybe try to relate to how that'd be in real-life or whatever, here you immediately get the "but see here, that's where it's coming from, have some understanding" and then ... well, what can you say?

The manga says everything that needs to be said. ^^

joined Jun 9, 2022

In a rare moment I was kinda sympathetic to the older sister, clearly she feels she's under some pressure, whether it's real or just perceived; and she isn't handling it well. But of course what happened afterwards ...

Good background chapter. Usually I'm not too into flashbacks but trust this manga to get it right and tie it to what's going on currently, too; of course.

Going back to chapter 17 I can’t help but really dislike their mother.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Going back to chapter 17 I can’t help but really dislike their mother.

Thoroughly unlikeable as far back as ch.2 to be honest ^^;

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

Wow. One of the best works of manga I've read. Masterpiece level.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Aw this extra was super cute!

I also like how it's actually still unclear if they actually are together or not 15 years from now. My first thought was, if they were still together, why would they meet up separately? I'm assuming after 15 years they'd be living together, but of course they could have other things going on that prevented them from living together. There's also a shot of the rings, but we can't really tell for sure if they are couple rings or not.

Either way they clearly still have a good relationship and this was a really sweet, chill chapter.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Woah woah get back here!!!! sorry, a tear almost escaped, which is shocking considering I already saw this in MD some time ago, I knew how it would play out and still made me so emotional wao, this is good.

I'm also a little weak from watching a Vtuber concert today so maybe that's why hahaha

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The strangest thing about this manga is that it inverts the "favorite manga on Dynasty get a lot of comments" principle--the better this gets (and it does get better and better), the less there seems to be to say about it except "This is really, really good."

(I've even contemplated a couple of "this is better than this other manga because . . ." posts, but immediately realized how irrelevant they would be.)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well there was a main problem with that, the series didn't start the translation here right away, it came to dynasty with like 30 chapters already, that's too heavy of a topic to condense in a comment, a lot of people have not give it a chance yet but I'm sure that anyone who does will feel a change in their life.

Oh yeah it's easy to compare it with other series and see the contrast but that would be cheap, I wish there were another way to promote it.

If we had Blue Period here, lots of people would think "yes... this is GOOD" hahaha

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Serenata posted:

Well there was a main problem with that, the series didn't start the translation here right away, it came to dynasty with like 30 chapters already, that's too heavy of a topic to condense in a comment, a lot of people have not give it a chance yet but I'm sure that anyone who does will feel a change in their life.

Yeah, that's a good point. The MangaDex chapter comments were always pretty engaged, though. Given its depth and themes, it seemed to evoke a lot of personal, introspective comments. There was still something lacking though, as I'm not sure how much was said about the manga directly. Really is a hard one to pin down.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Damn this was a fuckin good chapter. The long awaited look into Minori and it definitely didn't disappoint. I like how every panel you see her in, you can feel the tiredness oozing off her, like how much damage having all those expectations placed on her did. I can't help but feel bad for her. Of course doesn't excuse any of her actions toward Makio, but I can sympathize. They already talked about this point many times before so we knew this, but I think this chapter finally humanizes her since we see her pov.

Lots of reveals like why Asa's mom got together with her dad. The fact that he was "just there" was a source of comfort. Someone who really had no strong opinions about anything was exactly what she needed in her life.

The complex love/hate relationship between Makio and her sis is probably my favorite part of this series. Minori is truly a tragic character and it just really pains me that they weren't able to come to this place of understanding each other while she was alive.

last edited at Oct 10, 2022 3:09PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

The complex love/hate relationship between Makio and her sis is probably my favorite part of this series. Minori is truly a tragic character and it just really pains me that they weren't able to come to this place of understanding each other while she was alive.

You gotta love how even at this stage she's just straight up "a do-over? Naw, it'd just end the same way".

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

You gotta love how even at this stage she's just straight up "a do-over? Naw, it'd just end the same way".

Yeah I also believe in things staying the same during do-overs if you went back in time without hindsight. The catalyst to their problems was mainly their mother, so if she never changed, they wouldn't change either. I also think since the fallout was mostly Minori's fault for being so vicious to Makio so it'd have to be Minori that starts changing.

Makio was always just doing her own thing, even if it was extreme, such as never realizing how frail her sister was until well in her late teens, but it's just who she is. If Makio did go back in time with current memories I dunno what she would do different. Maybe offer more support? But support how? She wouldn't change who she was and start conforming when her freedom was what her sister was always jealous of. A 5 year age difference at that age is also really big and the power difference does come into play so Minori might not even be willing to listen to Makio.

The whole family is also really stubborn since we see Minori does change her mind about what she thought of Makio and kept up with her books, probably as a way to understand her little sister more. But even with all that she never reached out to apologize.

I think even if she were alive, it probably won't change much unless something big happened in their family that forces them together again (like this death). Heck Makino didn't see her niece for probably over 10 years. But having died just automatically cuts off the chance (even if is small) and it's sad to think about.

last edited at Oct 10, 2022 7:03PM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Yeah I also believe in things staying the same during do-overs if you went back in time without hindsight. The catalyst to their problems was mainly their mother, so if she never changed, they wouldn't change either. I also think since the fallout was mostly Minori's fault for being so vicious to Makio so it'd have to be Minori that starts changing.

Makio was always just doing her own thing, even if it was extreme, such as never realizing how frail her sister was until well in her late teens, but it's just who she is. If Makio did go back in time with current memories I dunno what she would do different. Maybe offer more support? But support how? She wouldn't change who she was and start conforming when her freedom was what her sister was always jealous of. A 5 year age difference at that age is also really big and the power difference does come into play so Minori might not even be willing to listen to Makio.

The whole family is also really stubborn since we see Minori does change her mind about what she thought of Makio and kept up with her books, probably as a way to understand her little sister more. But even with all that she never reached out to apologize.

I think even if she were alive, it probably won't change much unless something big happened in their family that forces them together again (like this death). Heck Makino didn't see her niece for probably over 10 years. But having died just automatically cuts off the chance (even if is small) and it's sad to think about.

When the mother / grandmother said "Even if everyone around her is making her lonely, she doesn't get lonely at all", Minori's reaction was surprise and realization. Minori apparently hadn't yet recognized that she and her mother treated Makio lightly, or that Minori's attitude was cruel, and that cruelty didn't develop and sustain itself in a vacuum. She was as unobservant of Makio's mind as Makio was of her frailty. Makio may have been insulated from her sister's condition and individualistic, and Makio was even more shut off out of defensiveness. We know how serious Minori was about keeping up appearances back then, and Minori also had her mother and anxieties distorting her facade in front of Makio. Both sisters were nutured in understandable directions. Great writing, great tragedy.

Even as adults, Minori probably couldn't close the distance even if she took the initiative to apologize or limited her effort to ask Makio to interact as an aunt for Asa's sake. Makio still isn't forgiving her. In any case, Asa is the one who wants both in her life, but it's only through a sad coincidence that she has Makio as a mentor / guardian. Asa's ideal childhood was impossible.

It seems like Minori gave up on changing her own circumstances, and her condition would make employment more difficult, so I wonder how she was planning to be at the age she would give Asa the diary.

last edited at Oct 15, 2022 1:54AM

Nightflier1
joined Aug 12, 2021

Another chapter! (Though on mangadex)

Once again a slow chapter that explores a hidden feeling and then slamming me with full recontextualizing force.

So much anguish: struggle to express stuff, struggling with self-esteem, worries about emotional distance with Makio and also trying to be still close to, however doubtful she is.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Title drop gave me the full extent of it's meaning and wooow I felt that, Poor Asa.. She needs love and Makio can't give it to her to that extend, it might take a while for her to properly stand by herself with a sense of belonging.

last edited at Dec 9, 2022 6:43PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.