Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I always knew Imoko had a crush on Neeko

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

It was worth reading all the way up to here just to get to this chapter!!!

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I just realized what Neeko and Imoko's names mean, and now I'm giggling like an idiot.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

That special moment when your otp becomes canon...

joined Dec 13, 2020

I just realized what Neeko and Imoko's names mean, and now I'm giggling like an idiot.

Neesan and Imouto?

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Neesan and Imouto?

Yes. It's so ridiculous and generic, and I never even noticed until now.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Neesan and Imouto?

Yes. It's so ridiculous and generic, and I never even noticed until now.

I thought Neeko came from neet

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

In Neeko's case, it's probably a double meaning with neet and nee-san

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

In Neeko's case, it's probably a double meaning with neet and nee-san

Would work in English, but since it's ニー子 in Japanese, it only really works with NEET.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Would work in English, but since it's ニー子 in Japanese, it only really works with NEET.

It does work in English, and I'm reading it in English. So it's an unintended double-meaning.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Suddenly, yuri...

joined Oct 23, 2016

That was hella gae everywhere lol !! too much power!!! and revelations too...

You know is actually wrong, she's saying those mean things in public and creating traumas just to keep her sister secluded and all to herself, she might be doing it unconsciously when she's sober, but is good to know that there was a reason and is not that her family was being naively awful handling the situation sometimes, because we discussed that many times.

Mmm, I don't think that's what the mangaka meant. I think they meant to say Imoko is actually doing the tough love bit.
Its like, positive reinforcement, I guess.
Her mom bashes her for not trying to move forward, without understanding how her daughter's trauma has stunted her.
Her dad fully understands and doesn't rush her. So he spoils her.
While her sister probably has taken the roll her older sister use to have before the failed interview that turned her into a Neet. After all, Imoko idolized her older sister. So, its more like: "We know you are jobless, but we want you to know its okay. We are here for you." Imoko basically says it how it is. She doesn't sugar coat it, but she doesn't look down on Neeko either.

Something like that is how I saw it. If anything I think the cruelest one is her mother, especially when she slapped Neeko, it seemed to have awakened yet another trauma. Her mother really seems to look down on her and sees her a major disappointment.

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 2:03PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I don't think so, because she seems to attack when she's doing progress like going outside or actually enjoying herself (like that time on the pool) and then BANG trauma and back to the house feeling worse than when she left, but you're saying that she's doing it for love... like making her feel bad in public for her sake...

And what convinces me the most is the last line saying that she loves her and that she wouldn't mind taking care of her... Is like "it's okay just stay with me" which is very yuri but it won't fix the problem hehe

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 5:10PM

joined Oct 23, 2016

I don't think so, because she seems to attack when she's doing progress like going outside or actually enjoying herself (like that time on the pool) and then BANG trauma and back to the house feeling worse than when she left, but you're saying that she's doing it for love... like making her feel bad in public for her sake...

And what convinces me the most is the last line saying that she loves her and that she wouldn't mind take care of her... Is like "it's okay just stay with me" which is very yuri but it won't fix the problem hehe

Imoko doesn't attack though. She speaks very highly of her sister, admires her sister (or err...is in love, with her sister I guess, they shoulda put an incest tag on this one cus Neeko didn't seem to mind and the mother acted as if this has happened before.) Which means, Imoko would want to care for Neeko as a "wife/wife" thing.

I see Imoko being realistic with Neeko. Stating the obvious even when out in public, because Imoko truly doesn't care what others think and yeah, she has now admitted that she knows Neeko does hate when being put on the spot, but thats is why Imoko follows up with telling her about not caring whether she keeps being a NeeT. I think Imoko knows full well how badly Neeko is traumatized and is trying to cope with the trauma, but isn't really making progress on her own, which is where everyone else comes in.

She is making progress, but because of everyone around her. If it werent for them, she would be in the same spot. Everyone has their own way of helping. While some better than others, sometimes tough realistic love helps.

Sanya Juutilainen
Ava_256
joined Apr 8, 2019

That supportive smile was something.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Neeko... repeat after me:
Incest...
is the best.
Put your sister to the test!!!

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Neeko makes the elementary mistake of assuming that a 4-koma is easier to write...

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

It does work in English, and I'm reading it in English. So it's an unintended double-meaning.

This would make sense if "onee-san" were an English word

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^^ Well, she's not really wrong in this case, 4 panels a week is certainly easier than a full-size chapter each month. Her true mistake was the chuuni self-insert.

last edited at Mar 9, 2021 3:12PM

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

I’m glad it went well and I liked Neeko’s heartwarming meeting with her former teacher!

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Neeko makes the elementary mistake of assuming that a 4-koma is easier to write...

Speaking of elementary mistakes, she's making about Imoko the mistakes of an elementary school kid in love: teasing and bullying her when actually she likes her so much and should do her best to be nice to her.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I've only found this today and read 10 chapters so far but damn... This hits way too close to home.
All of this is Depressing as fuck. As someone who's sunk over 10,000 hours into WoW, this page kinda hurt. I want Neeko to have a hug, a shoulder to cry on and to let it all out. While at the same time being reprimanded and prodded on to get her ass up.

joined Jun 9, 2018

Hey, what's up? Try to download this chapter today and it tells me that I have exceeded the download limit. I just downloaded 1 chapter just today and the limit is 8, what is happening?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Hey, what's up? Try to download this chapter today and it tells me that I have exceeded the download limit. I just downloaded 1 chapter just today and the limit is 8, what is happening?

Likely you downloaded more yesterday and it hasn't been quite 24 hours yet.

To reply you must either login or sign up.