Forum › JK-chan and Her Male Classmate's Mom discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

The son reminds me of mophead from Their Story in how they're written. I like when we get good male friend/sidekick characters in yuri manga, instead of just having the guy be there for being a male to facilitate cheap romantic drama.

I don't know Their Story, so are you saying Takuya is or isn't a good male friend/sidekick character? I think he's great, because he hasn't shown any actual romantic interest in Yuka the whole time, and the bottom of this page seems to imply that he has none.

They're saying the male friend in both this and "Their Story" are good. Since both are just there to support their female friend, and aren't the type to hinge their friendship on the idea of eventually dating or having sex with their female friend.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

The son reminds me of mophead from Their Story in how they're written. I like when we get good male friend/sidekick characters in yuri manga, instead of just having the guy be there for being a male to facilitate cheap romantic drama.

I don't know Their Story, so are you saying Takuya is or isn't a good male friend/sidekick character? I think he's great, because he hasn't shown any actual romantic interest in Yuka the whole time, and the bottom of this page seems to imply that he has none.

They're saying the male friend in both this and "Their Story" are good. Since both are just there to support their female friend, and aren't the type to hinge their friendship on the idea of eventually dating or having sex with their female friend.

I know right. I stopped reading “their story” a while ago, what with the loss of kissanime and before that even because you know, filler? Lack of progress?...the updates took a while? I can’t even remember it’s been so long. Anyway I really loved it at the time and even as adorable as the main pair was my favourite relationship in it was definitely the mophead-mc friendship.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I know right. I stopped reading “their story” a while ago, what with the loss of kissanime and before that even because you know, filler? Lack of progress?...the updates took a while? I can’t even remember it’s been so long. Anyway I really loved it at the time and even as adorable as the main pair was my favourite relationship in it was definitely the mophead-mc friendship.

I don't know the whole story with "Their Story", but from understanding with what I've read around, the series has had problems with progression and being able to focus on the romance angle because of complications with outside interference, and restrictions on the series.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I don't know the whole story with "Their Story", but from understanding with what I've read around, the series has had problems with progression and being able to focus on the romance angle because of complications with outside interference, and restrictions on the series.

Afaik, Tamen de Gushi's author got into trouble with the government for printing physical books of a series featuring LGBT content, and could only continue writing as long she agreed to vastly tone down the gayness. You can kinda tell when you start reading the series because it starts off at a roaring clip with an honesty and openness to explore the budding relationship that very few yuri stories have, and then hits a brick wall very abruptly. Of course, even the 'filler' bits are quite funny and charming, but it's sad to think how good it could've been if the government wasn't dicking around with artistic expression.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

"Parent and child"
LoL I'm dead. This chick is so damn thirsty for some milf action she already considers her classmate her child lol.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

"Parent and child"
LoL I'm dead. This chick is so damn thirsty for some milf action she already considers her classmate her child lol.

I love how she said it so plainly as if it was already a fact and not something that will happen later down the line

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

And the friends know better than to get involved with this mess.

joined Sep 13, 2018

the girl reminds me of the MC from aharen-san , her big imagination about every situation with the milf

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

'Parent and Child' XDDDDDD lol

I need to see the moment when Takuya realises he has a new papa.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I need to see the moment when Takuya realises he has a new papa.

It's gonna be right after the wedding, knowing him.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

"Parent and child"

I love how she said it so plainly as if it was already a fact and not something that will happen later down the line

MOOD

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

True, half the fun in this manga is how confident she is. In her mind, it's not a matter of if she's gonna marry Takuya's mom, it's when.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Next up, dinner (date).

joined Oct 22, 2020

"Parent and child"

I think the best part of that is us, as the audience, know it's meant literally for her, but even without that context it reads as a funny line that sounds like she's calling her friend immature

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

... How does she jump from apron to playboy bunnysuit? Is there a pun in the Japanese line that didn't come through in the translation to English?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

... How does she jump from apron to playboy bunnysuit? Is there a pun in the Japanese line that didn't come through in the translation to English?

I believe Yuka's already lost in her delusions over the word "event" by that point. When in doubt, check the page's subtitle.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Afaik, Tamen de Gushi's author got into trouble with the government for printing physical books of a series featuring LGBT content, and could only continue writing as long she agreed to vastly tone down the gayness. You can kinda tell when you start reading the series because it starts off at a roaring clip with an honesty and openness to explore the budding relationship that very few yuri stories have, and then hits a brick wall very abruptly. Of course, even the 'filler' bits are quite funny and charming, but it's sad to think how good it could've been if the government wasn't dicking around with artistic expression.

This tidbit of information has been very informative.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

I believe Yuka's already lost in her delusions over the word "event" by that point. When in doubt, check the page's subtitle.

I would think Yuka would imagine her in a sexy cafe maid outfit. but the bunnysuit is still better. XD

I would take it with a very, very large grain of salt. I've seen that rumour spread as fact constantly, but I've never seen anybody actually substantiate it. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm very dubious that it's true.

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

This story is so damn precious ♥

Damn, date almost ruined X'DD

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I would take it with a very, very large grain of salt. I've seen that rumour spread as fact constantly, but I've never seen anybody actually substantiate it. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm very dubious that it's true.

It's pretty hard to get a press release about this stuff, but the most accurate source seems to be this thread on Reddit that refers directly to the author's Weibo, making it more or less trustworthy. As the thread mentions, there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that's hard to figure out because of China's isolated nature and the tendency to shut down online gossip accounts. It's possible that the problem was with the publishers alone, or that their reservations reflected a greater trend wherein artists are expected to self-censor content that the government might take offense to. Either way, we can conclude that the issues with the story don't stem from purely personal reasons, and some degree of outside influence was asserted.

Edit: This article provides some more context from a general perspective, though the Facebook post explaining Tamen de Gushi's situation seems to have been taken down.

last edited at Jan 7, 2021 10:19PM

"Butting heads with the publisher" is a far cry from "censored by the government", which is the narrative that always gets passed around (as in this thread). You might assume that the publisher or artist was/is self-censoring on behalf of the government, but it's just that - an assumption, and should not be stated as fact. Thanks for providing a source, though. That's the first time I've seen someone actually link to a post on the author's weibo.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

^ To be fair, it would be nearly impossible for anyone in China to publicly declare that they've been coerced by the government, owing to the high degree of surveillance on the Internet in country, particularly on platforms like Weibo. Any posts to that effect would probably get taken down in hours, and most people wouldn't even think to make one in the first place. Plus, the Chinese government has been pretty hard on online queer works for years now, with documented cases of artists being censored and fined. So I can't blame people for assuming some degree of fact-distortion, especially since this is coming from translated posts and not a complete investigation. Though 'author punished by dictatorial state for being progressive' does make for a better story than 'executive meddling', even if they're stemming from the same restrictive sociopolitical environment.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I totally believe that anyone living in China is under the government's thumb at all times, regardless of whether they publicly state it or not. After what they've done to Hong Kong and their own people, to deny this reality doesn't really help anyone.

To reply you must either login or sign up.