Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

That's probably the most honest, direct, and deep conversation that Adachi and Shimamura have ever had. Also the first time Shimamura has really gotten embarrassed when telling Adachi that she loves her, as far as I remember. I can relate to how Shimamura finds relationships tiresome and easily moves on from them, so it's really touching how she's showing Adachi that she's committed to making their relationship last. I feel like this might be the start of Adachi actually having some security in their relationship. Though we're getting relatively little AdaShima content this volume, this chapter alone was really big for them. Not to mention the part when Shimamura actually did sexually harass Adachi for once.

The moms are fucking perfect, especially Shimamura's (I'm not sure whether Shima was thinking of Yashiro or her mom or both when she said that some people might never feel embarrassed). Somehow, they're almost like elementary school versions of their daughters. I hope we see more of them in coming volumes, though it's a little bittersweet seeing Atsuka's minor attempts to support Adachi when you know that they have no contact with each other ten years from now. Still, I appreciate that they've somewhat caught on to the relationship between their daughters and are putting in effort to support them. "Welcome home, my daughters." How lazy, sweet, and perfectly fitting.

Though I really don't like that they took up about half the volume, I enjoyed the look into Hino and Nagafuji's pasts. I always get a kick out of Nagafuji's way of looking at things, and the relationship between Hino's mom and the maid made for an interesting parallel. (At this rate, the series might end with even all of the moms being WLW.)

Are many people not able to wiggle their ears? It's easy to me.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Guess I know what I'll be spending certain parts of today, tomorrow and monday doing.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The story of Hino's family puts her behavior into perspective though I feel a little sad for the maid, it's as if she sees Hino and Nagafuji's potential future as them living out the happiness she couldn't have.

Same applied to Hino's mom as well, I'd say, maybe even more so.

It's good to see Hino's family be supportive as well, even her father's initial badly worded not necessary was obviously (and this was made quite clear once he was forced to talk more later) meant as encouragement to live her life without being bound to the expectations of the family.

edit: Oh, right, also, is the "wrong" here on the first line really correct, or should it be "strong" instead?

last edited at Dec 5, 2020 2:49PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

It's probably supposed to be "strong". I didn't do my best job, apparently, since people are pointing out typos right and left.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

To be fair, it must've been hard to focus on proofreading over all the warm fuzzies.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Nah. Been super sick.

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Troll mother.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Ah, I completely forgot my usual thing. Let me fix that.

Man I am just not with it at ALL this month.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You'd better go all out with the cackling since it's the last time you'll be able to do it for who knows how long.

Lol Adachi thinking their relationship is losing its spark. Silly gal.

Anyways Adachi doubling down on reassuring herself in their relationship chefs kiss. She was calm. She didn't get jealous when Shima was recalling her faded relationship with Tarumi, I feel that was something she would have done before, "who is she thinking of" type deal. She was able to ask what was really on her mind, leading to that beautiful conversation about their love for each other. It was too much for me, my face hurt from smiling so much, they were really being themselves with each other, really letting their thoughts out, and it was wonderful (but oh to have seen a illustration of that convo, Shima blushing... or that scene where she was touching Adachi's thigh). That said I'm so ready for what's next, but I'm also not ready to say bye. Dinner sure will be something chaotic. God I love Shima's mom.

Thank you for the chapters. Hope you get better soon Shades.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

MAN this has been good! I’m actually starting to become invested in Hino and Nagafuji after these last couple chapters with them. I can’t wait to see where Christmas dinner goes!!! I didn’t even think too hard about the lack of Adachi’s dad, I figured he was at least present somewhere, perhaps he was away from home a lot, but he seems to be gone altogether, dead or divorced. I hope they get into how that might have shaped Adachi as a person eventually.

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

Something slightly curious I noticed before:

The intermission with Shou at the end of chapter 3 starts with the date "2033 [etc.]," which would obviously refer to the day in the future that Shou "makes a stunning discovery." However, Yashiro says that it will happen around 16 years from now, which would make it around 2017 in the LN as of now. Why would it be set in 2017? The first LN came out in 2013, and it would only be 2014 if that was the in-universe date to begin with. Has the year been mentioned before? Maybe it was decided to be consistent with the references; I remember Demon Slayer was referenced in Volume 8. I just wonder why he chose 2017 specifically. Maybe he didn't think much of it.

joined Dec 10, 2020

Hi maybe fits here:
So after Adachi bleeded her feelings to Shimamura just replied Adachi is annoying and then they meat up to at the pool where they kinda come to terms.
After that some weird bathscene with shou.
Then weird "Double-Date" then Shimamura goes to her Grandparents. (It was really really exhausting reading through does pages).
So to the part i dont get:
They go to the festival and Shim asks Adachi if Adachin really loves her so much what would that be?
After Adachi properly confessed Shim just said yeah why not be a couple or sth similar.
But when did Shim falls for Adachi? I kinda overead sth
But from my perspective Shim still haven't developed any feelings towards Adachi and from Shim perspective Adachi seems to be still a weird selfish friend who doesnt know what feelings are and needs some more help figuring it out ? And the Tarumi thing was still not resolved to Adachi and not to be insulting or anything why is Adachi so spineless after mustering so much courage and having a serious character development she is still like shima describes it a "dog" of some sort?

last edited at Dec 10, 2020 9:28PM

joined Sep 19, 2020

Hi maybe fits here:
So after Adachi bleeded her feelings to Shimamura just replied Adachi is annoying and then they meat up to at the pool where they kinda come to terms.

I'd like to answer that more broadly, but it would turn out to be me rummaging instead, so i'll make that brief.

1) Q: Shima haven't developed any feelings towards Adachi.

A: At the time of v6 yes, she haven't developed love. But she still regarded Adachi as a "closest person". Adachi s feelings are more akin to passion, burst of fire, while Shima's are , well "exalted friendship" which is not that stormy, but grows over time , as sprout. Shima "accepted" Adachi's love at that time. About her love, well , it came to existence in v8 in my opinion.

2) Q: Adachi through the eyes of Shima.

A: One of the key points of the series is "play with perspective". Volume 5 played almost entirely through the eyes of Adachi , while v6 is Shima's volume. Though I can't deny that Shima somehow plays superior to Adachi. In v5 its amplified because of how we influenced with Adachi's perspective and therefore looks dreadfully, while in v6 Shima looks like doesn't care about it as much as Adachi.

3) Q: Adachi's courage.

A: Its simple. For 5 volumes all their relations lived on her, because if Adachi quited, or lost at least once it would all be over. Because yeah, its her in love, not Shima. Shima is the person who would not do anything for anyone if it requires her to go out of comfort zone. ( At least WAS. Now its not one-sided any more). And considering Adachi's passion, and that for her it is something that can be once in a life, she absolutely has no rights for any suicidal moves that would end it. And so, sometimes she can't do anything against Shimamura. Also I don't think a "dog" was ever meant as an insult here.

Its my personal opinion, not a "truth" of any sorts. At least it is "the-things-i-prefer-to-believe". There is also "cynical-meta" version if you interested.

joined Sep 19, 2020

Oh weird dates like that where you thought you had a great plan but it's just shit happen bro believe that ...... Vietnam flashbacks ...... Indeed there's this feeling of realness to everything, cuz everything always goes wrong but in a good way lol.

Nah, Adachi has only one fear of being rejected by Shima. She doesn't care about others and things you don't care about can't hurt you. Shima yeah, your description is accurate, but in my perception it doesn't make them that weird. At least i can understand their feelings and i've seen worse.

About dates, when you trying to hard it always comes in some awkward direction. Yeah, Vietnamese flashbacks too... And somehow that explains Shima's behaviour, if you don't do anything "extremely out of ordinary" for anyone, you can't mess up hard.

I remember seeing Kindred Spirits on Steam but didn't like the description. "Something-something, ghosts make girls date each other". Somehow it feels like an artificial yuri which is questionable.

Nagafuji made her "friend" grope her tits, if it isn't gay I don't know what it is. Their relations in an awkward position in which not being physical seem weird now.

Anyway, sorry for long time no reply. Been busy running away from my duties.

Also I haven't read v9 yet, waiting for a full release.

Sakura_miko-35p_emoji
joined Dec 13, 2020

I'm surprised that's the last chapter of this volume

last edited at Dec 15, 2020 12:22PM

Fo6gewav_400x400
joined Feb 1, 2020

Ah yes... handholding underneath the table :3

last edited at Dec 15, 2020 12:19PM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Time to wait a year for more I guess. Thanks sneikkimies, you're the real MVP.

Sakura_miko-35p_emoji
joined Dec 13, 2020

Time to wait a year for more I guess. Thanks sneikkimies, you're the real MVP.

We all gotta give thanks to the translator.

<3

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That sure just cut off there, not even much of an afterword. I guess the author really wanted what follows this to have an illustrator again...

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I figure this volume was a little rushed to coincide with the release of the anime, it's also the shortest in general. Though nothing much could've happened between Adachi and her mom anyway since we already knew from the flashforward chapter that they still aren't on good terms.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

That sure just cut off there, not even much of an afterword.

yeah I questioned that too

joined Jun 7, 2019

Hi maybe fits here:
After that some weird bathscene with shou.
Then weird "Double-Date" then Shimamura goes to her Grandparents. (It was really really exhausting reading through does pages).
So to the part i dont get:
They go to the festival and Shim asks Adachi if Adachin really loves her so much what would that be?
After Adachi properly confessed Shim just said yeah why not be a couple or sth similar.
But when did Shim falls for Adachi? I kinda overead sth
But from my perspective Shim still haven't developed any feelings towards Adachi and from Shim perspective Adachi seems to be still a weird selfish friend who doesnt know what feelings are and needs some more help figuring it out ? And the Tarumi thing was still not resolved to Adachi and not to be insulting or anything why is Adachi so spineless after mustering so much courage and having a serious character development she is still like shima describes it a "dog" of some sort?

in the conversation with pancho she releases that she likes adachi quite a lot,she is not sure if it's "love" but she likes her

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

That is some cryptic afterwords

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'll take them over him worrying about dying prematurely like in the previous volume.

To reply you must either login or sign up.