Forum › A Monster Wants to Eat Me discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Sinori's appearance reminds me of Touko from Bloom into you

RIGHT!

Honestly, my main thought during reading this was "Touko sure has changed..."

Inb4 Shiori is actually just Touko acting in a yuri-horror film after her career takes off, and this is all part of a production penned by Koyomi. Touko was hired because of her discipline at restraining herself from eating girls out until the time is right, and the play is a metaphorical take on her waiting for Yuu to gradually reciprocate her feelings. In other news, the year is 2040 and reality is officially a Bloom Into You spinoff.

A perfectly plausible explanation as far as I'm considered.

Also, did anyone else feel ridiculous amounts of sexual tension between Miko and Shiori?

That felt less like sexual tension and more like "who the fuck are you and why are you so close to my best friend/meal" tension.

That "who are you" tension could be solved by the two of them making out.

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

Also, did anyone else feel ridiculous amounts of sexual tension between Miko and Shiori?

That felt less like sexual tension and more like "who the fuck are you and why are you so close to my best friend/meal" tension.

That "who are you" tension could be solved by the two of them making out.

Go to horny jail.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Damn, I really feel for Miko, she is gonna get hurt bad, one way or another

Bestfriend of MC always gets fucked over

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Maybe we need a Vore tag.

When you see that tag, you'll know the last chapter has arrived.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

God damn it I'm annoyed with this introduction of Miko, not because of Miko herself because she seems like a great friend, but literally for this reason

Vamoaver
joined Apr 16, 2013

Okay so this can go two ways
Bestfriend is in love with the mc (or they are "really close friends") and gets fucked over
Bestfriend is another monster trying to protect her/eat her

maybe both, who knows

joined Apr 1, 2013

Okay so this can go two ways
Bestfriend is in love with the mc (or they are "really close friends") and gets fucked over
Bestfriend is another monster trying to protect her/eat her

maybe both, who knows

It sort of feels like one of them knows about her past and summer festival is when they died. Maybe her best friend isn't so innocent. I felt lots of tension / jealousy / stand-off vibes lol

joined Dec 13, 2018

Glad I'm not the only one who saw a kind of surreal Bloom Into You energy in this one.

There's a vaguely similar character dynamic. Apathetic short girl goes along with an inexplicable desiring from an older cool beauty. Even the art styles are very similar.

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

Boy oh boy this is gonna hurt but I'm all for it
Also, may I say that I ADORE this art

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

God damn it I'm annoyed with this introduction of Miko, not because of Miko herself because she seems like a great friend, but literally for this reason

No she ain't, she's a selfish little shit and basically hurt Hinako's feelings bringing up painful memories from the past about her family going to the Summer Festival.

I'mma fuckin clap my hands and do the hokey pokey when Miko gets eaten.

last edited at Nov 2, 2020 5:25AM

joined Apr 1, 2013

No she ain't, she's a selfish little shit and basically hurt Hinako's feelings bringing up painful memories from the past about her family going to the Summer Festival.

I'mma fuckin clap my hands and do the hokey pokey when Miko gets eaten.

" clap my hands and do the hokey pokey " lmao XD nice analogy lol
I kind of feel like Miko is a monster i mean if she were human wouldnt the other girl smell/sense that she isnt worth eating cos shes weaker and insignificant seeing how they had a jealousy between them.. sort of feels like she knows something is up. Also the fact she was absent for that entire time? what exactly made her sick? absent? kinda feels like she went out to go eat something and came back right before the Festival Day? also the hint about her smell attracting other monsters and meanwhile this specific friend has been around since that time period? i dunno man i feel like either she is going to die? or she is going to attack soon? I am curious to see what other Monster Girls are in this Manga. Is it similar to dinosaurs that some are carnivores and some are herbivores?

joined Feb 18, 2015

Chapter 1: I'm hoping that she ripens at a "ripe old age" after a long life together with her mermaid protector/lover.

last edited at Nov 4, 2020 11:34AM

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Shiori will only eat Hinako the moment she has found happiness, i.e., when Hinako has fallen in love with her.

Miko is wearing what looks to be prayer beads. If there are monsters, there will be priests, hunters, or something, and I think her family is one.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I really hope this series has some twists and turns, with an ending that's not as straight forward as the starting presentation. At the moment having your series be, mermaid helps girl get over the trauma of her family's death, and then murders her afterwards, isn't exactly compelling for me at least. There's some interesting themes here, and nice art, so that's why I'm still reading and curious if the series will have some dramatic shifts.

last edited at Nov 29, 2020 9:24PM

20201123_223345
joined Jan 7, 2017

This story is so entrancing. I can't wait to see how it goes on.

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Hmm
Question:
Will this be vore?

Cause I don't do vore

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

There's such a fun, push-pull, 'Do You Really Wanna Kill Me?' dynamic here. It feels like a game of chicken between two people who grow more interested in each other the closer they get, but also can't stop their momentum. Hinako's depression warping her mindset reminds me a bit of what Rei goes through in Sangatsu no Lion, and I wonder if they'll reveal that she literally wished Shiori into existence as a result of her combined desire to die and to be saved.

Maybe Hinako feels like she can only have an honest relationship with someone who cares nothing for her and reinforces her regret and guilt, but by very virtue of having such a relationship, she's eroding her own desire for oblivion. It's like that saying- "People who really want to die just go ahead and die. They don't write suicide notes or make grand statements." In so many ways, Shiori being a figment of Hinako's imagination or a fulfillment of her wishes would really drive in the psychological metaphors at the heart of this story.

This feels like an odd, absurd form of therapy precisely because Shiori is halfway between an imaginary friend and the Grim Reaper- Hinako's so convinced of her fantastical nature that she can finally express her true self with no fear of being pitied. Shiori, in her craziness, allows her to step towards sanity, and I wonder if the ending will be Hinako finally recovering and then having to deal with Shiori melting away, or if she'll have Shiori stick around forever as her emotional support GF. Since mermaid flesh is supposed to make you immortal, I could see Hinako needing to 'consume' Shiori and take her back into herself, uniting both sides of her persona and thus attaining long-term stability and mental health. Bonus points if Shiori turns out to resemble someone she knew or idolised as a child, or the person she always wanted to be. It'd also be hilarious if Shiori told Hinako to find new hope and move on, prompting her to hook up with the childhood friend.

Even so, it's too early in the game to tell where this'll go, since even an honest exploration of the premise would be violent, fascinating and intense.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Hmm
Question:
Will this be vore?

Cause I don't do vore

Maybe it'll just be eating out, in the traditional after midnight TV sense. Turns out the whole thing was a misunderstanding, entirely stemming from the mermaid being too embarrassed to say it.

Edit: I mean let's be honest here, isn't this a goose with a gold egg situation? If the mermaid kills her and completely devours her that's it, however if the mermaid keeps her alive there's numerous ways to "taste" her. It seems more practical to keep her alive for the long term.

last edited at Nov 30, 2020 12:12AM

joined Dec 30, 2018

Maybe we need a Vore tag.

When you see that tag, you'll know the last chapter has arrived.

Yep pretty much

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

“I’ve been wondering this for a while now,”

“Do you like your women covered in viscera?”

last edited at Nov 30, 2020 2:17AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This feels like an odd, absurd form of therapy precisely because Shiori is halfway between an imaginary friend and the Grim Reaper- Hinako's so convinced of her fantastical nature that she can finally express her true self with no fear of being pitied.

Except that forcefully confronting a person with a potential trigger for their trauma while overriding their explicit denial of consent is the worst possible "therapy". So far, I am inclined to think that Shiori is a real monster (i.e. not just Hinako's imagination), so her not comprehending the extent of Hinako's trauma is understandable in-story, but I would strongly discourage anyone to pull the same swim-or-die kind of "therapy" on a traumatized person IRL. The depiction a panic attack/PTSD episode in this chapter is scarily real.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Doesn't it just make your mouth water when prey stinks of FEAR and SORROW.

jkjkjk

I'm getting mad Berserk vibes now from this chapter alone.

last edited at Nov 30, 2020 3:27AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Hmm
Question:
Will this be vore?

Cause I don't do vore

She just descriped how she is gonna peel her skin off and take her organs out

That aint vore

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This feels like an odd, absurd form of therapy precisely because Shiori is halfway between an imaginary friend and the Grim Reaper- Hinako's so convinced of her fantastical nature that she can finally express her true self with no fear of being pitied.

Except that forcefully confronting a person with a potential trigger for their trauma while overriding their explicit denial of consent is the worst possible "therapy". So far, I am inclined to think that Shiori is a real monster (i.e. not just Hinako's imagination), so her not comprehending the extent of Hinako's trauma is understandable in-story, but I would strongly discourage anyone to pull the same swim-or-die kind of "therapy" on a traumatized person IRL. The depiction a panic attack/PTSD episode in this chapter is scarily real.

Hence my point that she's an expression of all of Hinako's complexes and urges- both a desire to be killed and a desire to be saved. While I do agree that she's very likely not a figment of Hinako's imagination (since other people also react to her), I'd argue that she might be something like Monogatari's aberrations- an entity manipulated by psychosis as opposed to a member of an actual race of mermaids inhabiting an underground (underwater?) society. This story just seems too intensely personal for me to think of Shiori as just one part of a race of aquatic vampires- I think she has to have some kind of deeper connection to Hinako. There's also the fact that she saves Hinako from actual monsters that show up to eat her whenever her depression peaks, claiming that they're 'savage'. You could read the whole thing as a person with immense self-hate struggling between the urge to kill themselves on the spot, or to trudge on for another day. There's no neat binary between an optimistic 'I want to live' and a pessimistic 'I want to die' attitude in this case- Hinako's simply trying to choose between pitch darkness and an extremely grey ally.

In short, the story wouldn't work if there was a perfect, angelic, positive influence on Hinako's life, because then she wouldn't have ended up going all Rei Ayanami in the first place (not to mention the fact that it'd clash with the tone). The tension comes from the constant choices between rocks and hard places, between simple murderers and enigmatic torturers, and a common theme that I've found running through a lot of Japanese works about depression and angst are that there are no therapists- only well-meaning people that can't understand your pain, and similarly twisted people who get it, but might also make things worse. The only piece of Japanese media that I've ever seen a therapist in is SeaBed (which uses the novelty to reinforce the norm). All in all, the easy, cut-and-dried professionalism of a therapist in a bright room or the saccharine supportiveness of a manic pixie dream girl would never fit with the story, and seem dissonant at best and hypocritical at worst. Therefore, the dangerous, aggressive, condescending murder mermaid is Hinako's best shot at rehabilitation, not because it's a realistic way to cope with grief, but precisely because the entire world is insane in Hinako's eyes. The best thing she can do, given the circumstances, is pick the most beneficial flavour of madness and bond with her imaginary/nightmarish friend.

TL;DR- Hinako wants someone who behaves nothing like a therapist, because if Shiori sat her down and asked her to talk about her feelings (like Miko's been doing), Hinako would spit in her face and walk away. Ironically enough, this makes Shiori the best possible person to undertake Hinako's therapy, precisely because she doesn't pretend to give a shit and therefore comes off as more 'genuine' (even with her mermaid powers) than any of the faceless, real people Hinako ignores every day.

last edited at Nov 30, 2020 4:03AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.