Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I apologize if I sound ticked off, but honestly, I am a little bit at this point.

That’s because you seem to be unable to recognize when people are agreeing with you from a slightly different angle.

Are you, though? What you have been doing is telling me: "Hey, I know you said this thing, but I think it's actually this different thing." You're saying that both thematic and technical shortcomings pull the work down, and I'm saying that the problem's overwhelmingly technical, and the perceived thematic shortcomings are a drop in the bucket, if even that.

EDIT: Fourth time that I had to reiterate my argument. Am I going insane?

last edited at Oct 25, 2020 7:19AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

EDIT: Fourth time that I had to reiterate my argument. Am I going insane?

Yes. Kudos to you for recognizing it.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Imgur

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

I fuckinhg... whut...

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Mature Uta is hot tho. That's a consolation.

Rin
joined Aug 4, 2017

Wow, that was... a chapter. I can't even really call it an ending since we just kind of returned to square one. Kaoru accepts that Uta still (?) loves her, and at some point in the future they start living together again since it's something they both wanted but for some reason didn't until after Uta graduated, maybe. It just feels pointless after Uta goes on that monologue about not wanting anything to change and how her love was a mistake from the start.

Honestly the most off-putting this about this is the entire story surrounding Uta's parents and their dissolving family was completely kicked to the curb. It was supposed to be such a big deal that she was moving back with their problematic parents and maybe we'd get to see why she was such a depressed and distant kid but we never did. Instead months passed with no issues, her mom literally disappeared, and Uta never really left except when it was plot relevant so what was the point? We know more about Kaoru than we do Uta, other than her being a diligent person and stubborn about not wanting to move on.

I do think she's wearing the necklace Kaoru gave her in the beginning though, but as with a lot of things in this series the art just isn't as good as it was back then. Maybe as a sign that she'll never really let go of those feelings.

Overall I feel incredibly whatever about it. It ended terribly, but at least Konatsu came out happy. I would have preferred if she and Uta got together and they could both move on from their pasts and be happy together. Oh well.

joined May 1, 2013

I don't think the themes are trite at all. To say that is to dismiss the very real feelings a lot of people have to go through in life. That's like saying that exploring the nuances that can be found in the clash between good and evil in a story is trite. It's simply not true. A good author will find a way to write a good story for the themes of their choosing. You can have compelling characters, a unique setting, etc.

Then that's a creative, engaging story with trite themes.

I'd say there's a ceiling to HOW good a story can be with simplistic or dull themes, but it can absolutely be engaging and have good characters and stuff.

"Unrequited love exists" is... not deep or interesting.

That's not all there is to it. The main conflict of this story is "How will Uta ultimately deal with her unrequited love?" and not just "Does unrequited love exist?" That's an absurd thing to say. On the topic of this main conflict, the author decides in the end to NOT answer this question, and instead faff about with things nobody asked for, like Risako and Reiichi's drama, that girl who was in that beach photo in the end, that whole "I wanna have kids" moment with Kaoru, etc. The author wasted a lot of time on actual narrative garbage instead of putting that effort into exploring the themes they brought up in the beginning of the story. A bunch of non sequiturs that all ended up in the garbage bin along with the main plot point, unresolved, until the end of time.

The author DOES address how Uta deals with her unrequited love: they dedicate pages of it in the last chapter to Uta stating out loud how she treasures it and has perspective on it and has decided not to try to move on from it. That's the answer: that's how she deals with it. The fact that it seems like nothing is that it's an extremely trite and boring situation she's in.

Unrequited love is one of those things that's very hard to write about because it's all-consuming when you experience it, but not remotely interesting to observe from the outside. There's just not much to it.

The author actually does a really impressive job adding to the theme to make it as interesting as possible, like how Kaoru and Reiichi are portrayed as having unrequited love for one another (his is platonic), or how Kuro wants to unhealthily and constantly be the object of unrequited love so she doesn't have to commit. None of this ends up informing Uta's situation much, but it does allow the manga to explore deeper themes.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Honestly the most off-putting this about this is the entire story surrounding Uta's parents and their dissolving family was completely kicked to the curb. It was supposed to be such a big deal that she was moving back with their problematic parents and maybe we'd get to see why she was such a depressed and distant kid but we never did. Instead months passed with no issues, her mom literally disappeared, and Uta never really left except when it was plot relevant so what was the point? We know more about Kaoru than we do Uta, other than her being a diligent person and stubborn about not wanting to move on.

Quite right--I mean, we don't even get any clarity on what I would assume was a major plot point about why Uta's mother lost her medical license over something to do with Kaoru's mother's treatment. And why Kaoru feels somehow responsible for Uta's parents' divorce (Chap.2). Or why the parents got back together.

And I'm not just picking at the story-- I really wanted to know that stuff. I didn't realize that when Uta told Kuro, "Explaining would take too long--it's really complicated," that was also the author telling the readers to STFU.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch02#12

last edited at Oct 25, 2020 3:53PM

joined Jul 8, 2020

Reiichi: Lives literally next door to the apartment his sister and ex-wife fuck in, so

Ikr, Reiichi be like "my sister and my ex-wife fuckin each other next door and im cool with that" welp.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Reiichi: Lives literally next door to the apartment his sister and ex-wife fuck in, so

Ikr, Reiichi be like "my sister and my ex-wife fuckin each other next door and im cool with that" welp.

Well, Reiichi never really wanted Kaoru that much, so it's kind of realistic he wouldn't care.

He'd probably be relived he doesn't have to watch over Kaoru, since his little sis is taking care of that. Being afraid your SO will pull their plug when you aren't looking is extremely stressful.

Nekopop%20avatar%20resized
joined Aug 12, 2020

The story ending like this is confusing and mysterious. Why create these long story arcs over 37 chapters and then abruptly halt them with little explanation? I wish we could know what the author was thinking. It's almost like J. J. Abrams wrote a yuri manga with the pen name of tMnR. I felt like this story, with the pace and gravity it was seemingly attempting to achieve, could have reached one to two hundred chapters. More chapters means more money to the author. It feels like they are throwing away money and good storytelling.

last edited at Nov 5, 2020 5:30AM

joined Jan 17, 2020

I'm so confused. Uta says she has found someone like Miyabi during university, implying she was dating/had dated...but then she also says she won't give up her unrequited love.

Then later, presumably after university, she opens the door and someone is there. Is that Kaoru or someone else? Looks like Kaoru, but god knows...This is vague af.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm so confused. Uta says she has found someone like Miyabi during university, implying she was dating/had dated...but then she also says she won't give up her unrequited love.

She actually says, “I learned what it feels like to have someone like you.” That’s at least ambiguous—I read it as “someone liked me, although I didn’t like them back.”

joined Nov 13, 2020

Can someone recommend me actual good yuri manga and not whatever the fuck this is

joined Aug 20, 2016

Holy sh*t! I don’t usually post comments here but what the actual f**k? This was by far my favorite GL manga out there (and it still is) but what kind of horrible ending was that? Is this some sort of joke? I don’t feel like there’s a closure to this story at all. So many questions remain unanswered... honestly grateful for this manga, the lineart is so damn beautiful and it really depicts the pain of how an unrequited love can hurt like a b*tch, but what was that ending? It would have been better for the author to just end the story somewhere on page 20 or 21 instead. That I can accept because that is actually what an unrequited love feels like and what it is supposed to be like most of the time. But THIS ending? My mind can not fathom the whole situation at all. Overall, this was a great manga and I really enjoyed reading it, but it really needs a better ending. Anyways, thanks for all your hard work :)

last edited at Nov 17, 2020 11:40AM

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

That was one hell of a (sloooooow) roller coaster ride (both the epilogue and the series as a whole). Unlike Uta, if I’m given the chance to rewind time, I’m not sure if I would have picked up this series and read it again...Honestly, at this point I’m just glad that it’s finished and I can cross this off my ‘currently reading’ list.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

What the fuck was that ending....so I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Can someone recommend me actual good yuri manga and not whatever the fuck this is

She Becomes A Tree is a recent one that's fun. There's also one of my favorite fluffy ones of years past, Wife and Wife. You're welcome. Also check out the Yuri Manga Recommendations sticky thread.

last edited at Dec 4, 2020 7:10PM

Untitled
joined May 15, 2014

this is a yuri manga. of course a long awaited ending will always be disappointing. the question is why even after a decade that we still have to deal with only a one-panel ending for wlw? this isn't even bittersweet. just bitter. you would think the author would spend more time showing us uta got her happy ending with more than one panel.

joined Jun 25, 2017

Follow LA DIOSA DEL LIRIO 3.0 on FB. SHE POSTED THE EPILOGUE. YALL WONT REGRET IT!!!

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

this is a yuri manga. of course a long awaited ending will always be disappointing. the question is why even after a decade that we still have to deal with only a one-panel ending for wlw? this isn't even bittersweet. just bitter. you would think the author would spend more time showing us uta got her happy ending with more than one panel.

There's still an epilogue

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Which totally was created before the backlash from the ambiguous non-ending.

It is cute I will admit, but it doesn't really make this (the story) any better, still would've liked to ya kno see some real progression between them. So yeah it's cute on its own, away from the rest of the story.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

deuxyeon posted:

You mean there's epilogue to epilogue? Yea, they totally didn't add it last minute!

last edited at Jan 18, 2021 5:35AM

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

deuxyeon posted:

You mean there's epilogue to epilogue? Yea, they totally didn't add it last minute!

The last chapter was never called an epilogue. Also it's not their fault that people like you couldn't understand that they did get together at the end. Look at the damn necklace and they even move in together. Yet people like you complained about the ending and now that we get a nice epilogue you bitch and moan again. just read the damn chapter and shut up yeah?

last edited at Jan 19, 2021 5:14AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.