Forum › The Demon Girl Next Door discussion

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Yuriloveisbestlove posted:

OK, this is all getting pretty gay here, this is beyond subtext lol. Anyways, BEST chapter yet, I love the fact that it is Shamiko getting super jealous this time around.

Shamiko? Even I WAS MAD! with the whole "let's make a coordinate attack to push Shamiko away from Momo the whole time!" ugghh

I was mad too, but then we got jealous Shamiko (usually it's Momo) and everything fell into place for a good chapter ending.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Damn, every time we learn about Shamiko childhood, it really drive home that the could would have killed her if it wasn't for Sakura core. At least it look like she shut out all the unhappy memory and now remember this time fondly somehow. Wonder if her childhood friend will appear at some point, if they are not dead...

Yuriloveisbestlove posted:

OK, this is all getting pretty gay here, this is beyond subtext lol. Anyways, BEST chapter yet, I love the fact that it is Shamiko getting super jealous this time around.

Shamiko? Even I WAS MAD! with the whole "let's make a coordinate attack to push Shamiko away from Momo the whole time!" ugghh

To be fair, it's less like they wanted to separate them, and more like each fangirl wanted them separately for themselves lol. And someone please stop Mikan, she is getting uncontrollable with all this citrus

joined Mar 30, 2018

The list of ways this comic could be more gay is getting real short.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Will they anime a season 2?... I'm considering the dub, the way the subtitles were layed out in the sub's of s1 were quick and allover the place so it was hard to "watch" the anime itself

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

I went and checked this out after seeing constant shipping elsewhere, and I thought, "how gay is it really?"

And wow it's really gay, good stuff.

joined Jul 8, 2016

So, I just decided to watch this on a whim, and I am blown away at how competently put together the apparent lore of this universe is. Also I feel like the subtext tag is about to be on it's way out, so that's cool.

Kanadechan%20sxdvfgbn
joined May 24, 2017

https://youtu.be/3947IsgJ1Zc

Hmmmmmmm!!!?? I can't read JAP but Is this season 2!?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

https://youtu.be/3947IsgJ1Zc

Hmmmmmmm!!!?? I can't read JAP but Is this season 2!?

MAL has just listed a season 2 for this, so it would definitely seem so.

Kanadechan%20sxdvfgbn
joined May 24, 2017

MAL has just listed a season 2 for this, so it would definitely seem so.

Thank you. That's a good news! Really happy about this.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

So, I just decided to watch this on a whim, and I am blown away at how competently put together the apparent lore of this universe is. Also I feel like the subtext tag is about to be on it's way out, so that's cool.

I already suggested the yuri tag in chapter 64 and was rejected, so you should suggest it again to see if you have better luck.

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

This isnt yuri yet but the subtext is as subtle as a Michael Bay movie.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Y'know, I get that a lot of yuri fans are kinda cynical about series making ships canon until they see super-explicit confirmation, but I never had that sense of anxiety with this manga? It was pretty clear from the start that Izumo's put a ton of effort and dedication into developing Shamiko and Momo's relationship, and I'm 100% confident that she'll give us a perfect conclusion. There's a legitimate plan at work here, a real sense of progress and growth, and Izumo has brilliantly captured how friendship turns into affection, and the road to establishing it as mutual. I once read a review of She-Ra where the reviewer said that that they knew right from Season One that the show's main ship would be canon, and I definitely get that exact same feeling here.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Y'know, I get that a lot of yuri fans are kinda cynical about series making ships canon until they see super-explicit confirmation, but I never had that sense of anxiety with this manga? It was pretty clear from the start that Izumo's put a ton of effort and dedication into developing Shamiko and Momo's relationship, and I'm 100% confident that she'll give us a perfect conclusion. There's a legitimate plan at work here, a real sense of progress and growth, and Izumo has brilliantly captured how friendship turns into affection, and the road to establishing it as mutual. I once read a review of She-Ra where the reviewer said that that they knew right from Season One that the show's main ship would be canon, and I definitely get that exact same feeling here.

I dont get the anxiety, how often does Works in Dynasty dissapoint?

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I dont get the anxiety, how often does Works in Dynasty dissapoint?

Depends on your definition of disappointment. Some people only feel satisfied if get a kiss and dating, others are just happy with a confession. Lots of yuri series, and particularly CGDCT series with yuri subtext go the 'we're gonna be BFFs' route instead of having explicit confirmation. It was even worse back when you had Class S works that straight-up had the girls end up with men post-graduation, completely invalidating all the prior drama. Things are better these days, but a lot of yuri series still get the axe, leading to rushed endings that either feel unsatisfying, or simply preserve the status quo till the end. Heck, one of the main reasons the 'shoujo ai' tag came up in the West despite being nonexistent in Japan was because of the massive amount of yuri-themed manga that never got serious and queerbaited audiences till the end. Of course, then you also have stuff like Futaribeya, which inspires massive debates because it doesn't really operate like a regular romance series with conventional 'progress', Yuru Yuri, which is very gay, but also divorced from the flow of time, and Nettaigyo, which seems explicitly designed to trigger endless wars upon the line between friendship and love. I'm just scratching the surface here- the history of Yuri fans being burned could fill a five-volume encyclopaedia.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Season 2?
shits a rainbows

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

and Nettaigyo, which seems explicitly designed to trigger endless wars upon the line between friendship and love. I'm just scratching the surface here- the history of Yuri fans being burned could fill a five-volume encyclopaedia.

Umm, Nettaigyo IS gay, not even the mangaka will convince me otherwise. (I'm totally not in denial)

last edited at Nov 9, 2020 6:23AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

and Nettaigyo, which seems explicitly designed to trigger endless wars upon the line between friendship and love. I'm just scratching the surface here- the history of Yuri fans being burned could fill a five-volume encyclopaedia.

Umm, Nettaigyo IS gay, not even the mangaka will convince me otherwise. (I'm totally not in denial)

I respect your resolve, soldier. Many have faltered and fallen, crying out 'bait' and abandoning the ranks of world-weary shippers. But the final volume of Nettaigyo is upon us, and it is time to face the final test. If we succeed, it shall be an 'I told you so' moment for the ages. And if we fail, it'll be no big deal- our hope is something far grander than petty canon.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Are we still in the Kirara territory?

joined Jul 22, 2014

Should have kill the bitch, still she amassed quite a body count.
Surprised the Light clan did not hunt her down.

Any bets on Shamiko losing a horn or two during the murder attempt?

last edited at Dec 4, 2020 12:43AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This Kiki's gonna need some serious Kanri-ing.

I like how Izumo tried to mitigate the Watermelon's edginess by having Shamiko and Momo sling wisecracks throughout her demon genocide spiel, though it only served to make her more unnerving. I'm not even sure if this was intentional or not- Izumo's 5D chess is as brilliant as ever.

It's been a long, fun ride, and it feels surreal to see how far we've come from a standard Kirara comedy. This clever, gay, brilliantly ambitious series has been one of the biggest surprises I've encountered in all my time reading manga, and I'm still amazed at just how much Izumo can do with the often-reviled 4koma format. Most authors are limited by the structure and often avoid going for complicated content, but Izumo uses the simple layout to optimize the flow of her exposition, create perfect balances between gags and drama, underline action and dialogue in frantic progressions and create some of the best visual narratives I've seen (the core slowly eroding, that one panel of absolute, terrifying darkness after Suika reveals her true intentions, the partial shot of her grinning, misshapen face as she resurrects, and the absolute goddamn brilliance of framing her spacetime-breaking threat to Shamiko as the punchline of a 4koma strip are all excellent examples of an artist making the absolute best of their medium).

We're in the endgame now, or perhaps the beginning of an entirely new one. I'm extremely hyped for this, because I just know that Izumo's planned it all out and will almost certainly deliver a fitting conclusion. This series has been excellent at retaining its core identity and charm whilst steadily strengthening its dramatic beats, and we're going to be in for a legendary payoff. Ganbare, Shamiko! Stop Mahou Shoujo Hitler, broker world peace, and kiss Momo while you're at it!

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I... 100% wasn't expecting an intensely deranged, pure evil character to pop up in this manga. Sure there's been allusions to stakes and stuff, but the manga has been super cute so it still blindsided me lol.

I'm guessing that last part where her shade seemed to manifest to taunt momo and threaten shamiko wasn't a memory.

joined Sep 19, 2015

Holy shit

But two things that have me wondering is

1. If this encounter wasn't the one, when exactly did Momo get the two punches on her card? (in her desk in chapter 12) Might end up being irrelevant, or just a one-chapter topic, but I was expecting this event to include that explanation.

2. Who is melon's reincarnation? I bet Ito would have already planted her in the series, if not from the beginning, then at least recently. Meme answer says the dog lady, but... maybe the classmate at the all-you-can-eat who clung to shamiko? Most guesses seem pretty damn silly now, but I wouldn't put anything past this author. Maybe eyeballing the ages of the flashback people could help us narrow down an age (appearance) range.

Also Joshua must be fuckin broken to give that much currency, and just from a sealing, too. How much we betting he'll be the final deus ex machina (after a satisfying legitimate conclusion, of course, he'll just stop the big bad's secret attack after the end)

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

Its been a while since a fictional entity has unnerved me but that shade hits the right spots.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

This Kiki's gonna need some serious Kanri-ing.

I like how Izumo tried to mitigate the Watermelon's edginess by having Shamiko and Momo sling wisecracks throughout her demon genocide spiel, though it only served to make her more unnerving. I'm not even sure if this was intentional or not- Izumo's 5D chess is as brilliant as ever.

i dunno man for the longest time i´ve felt that izumo keeps killing the mood of the scenes by slaping comedy on crucial or heavy moments , some times i can´t take anything that´s happening serious despite the content being, like really serious and kind of dark, some times i´m at the edge of my seat and then the characters start craking jokes and making funny faces, wich really takes me out of the experience, maybe that´s just me but i feel like the manga is not being serious when it really needs to be

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Shits been getting real. It got a little darker.... Contemplating reading again (for more info/something I've missed and a refresh) or just watching s1 and reading s2 til the anime airs.... Thoughts?

last edited at Dec 4, 2020 7:35AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.