Forum › A Girl Like A Pilgrim discussion

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter. It was my first major assignment and I didn't do a very good job so I am so very sorry! The last thing I wanted was the work I did to distract from the story or translation! You all deserve better and I promise I will work hard to be better in the future! Gomen!
~~~ <^..^> ~~~ (Sad kitten face)

Don't stress about it too much. You didn't really do anything wrong. First time typesetting never turns out well. It's on the group leader to catch these issues and fix them.

Here are a few guides that I found invaluable when I started typesetting:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190316162230/https://fallensyndicate.wordpress.com/typesetting-tutorial/

https://mangadex.org/title/43627/anonblack-s-typesetting-guide

I'd recommend reading through them. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

What the hell kind of zankyou no terror bullshit is about to happen?

joined Feb 20, 2015

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter. It was my first major assignment and I didn't do a very good job so I am so very sorry!

It's not that big a deal. Most people are way more interested in being able to read the stuff in the first place, and some editing ends up way, way worse than this. The only major problem I had personally was some of the blurry text, and I'm sure that could get better with practice and with some advice from more experienced editors.

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter. It was my first major assignment and I didn't do a very good job so I am so very sorry! The last thing I wanted was the work I did to distract from the story or translation! You all deserve better and I promise I will work hard to be better in the future! Gomen!
~~~ <^..^> ~~~ (Sad kitten face)

Don't stress about it too much. You didn't really do anything wrong. First time typesetting never turns out well. It's on the group leader to catch these issues and fix them.

Here are a few guides that I found invaluable when I started typesetting:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190316162230/https://fallensyndicate.wordpress.com/typesetting-tutorial/

https://mangadex.org/title/43627/anonblack-s-typesetting-guide

I'd recommend reading through them. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm working on Chapter 8 at the moment and I think I'm doing ok. I read through the guides you suggested and have watched a few videos as well as practiced with a cleaning and typesetting a few other pages so I'm hopeful the next chapter I work on won't be so bad. I could try to make excuses about wordiness or whatever you have it but I have none. I didn't do a good enough job and I will try to be better! Thank you for your kind words and advice!
<^..^> (Grateful kitten face)

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

I feel bad saying this... But I'd take down the chapter and redo it. The biggest problem (besides the inconsistent fonts) is the sheer amount of text that doesn't need to be there. Part of the challenge of translating and then editing/typesetting manga is reducing the amount of text to fit the bubble. It's really hard because Japanese by its very nature compacts entire words into individual kanji. And words that are phonetic use one character per syllable (as opposed to Western languages that uses letters for consonants and vowels).

I'd give it a second attempt but this time keep the fonts exactly the same and reduce the words being used significantly. I really like this series so it'd be great to see it done properly. This is a great learning opportunity too! I wish I could help as I'm good with "less is more" writing.

Honestly, if I had to do it over again I...honestly, I don't know. I would have done better, surely (hopefully!) but I'm not sure with the 6000 words in the chapter and my lack of skill (I'm a writer, really and am not so good, yet, at graphics or the program for them) I could have made it truly acceptable. I am sorry for the poor quality and that it distracted from the story. I love the series and am excited to read it and feel awful for not doing better.

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter.

Like what was mentioned, the fault isn't all in the editing.
But if you want a few tips on the typesetting side of things, to make it an altogether better experience for the reader:
- Don't play with the font width (makes it harder to read, reduces the font quality), keep it to the normal ratio and be consistent with it;
- Be consistent with font size, don't change it every bubble just for the sake of filling up white space;
- Use different fonts for yells, SFX, titles, etc. (e.g. page 34).

Then again, the main issue I'm seeing here - and what has been mentioned by multiple people - is how horrendously verbose the translation is. One that caught me the most was page 31, second to last frame, third bubble, where you could have kept it to "She's off today, I'm the one on shift."
Try to make it less literal, get the meaning across while keeping it natural. You don't need to write a novel for each bubble.

While, ostensibly, I agree with you, it was still my responsibility to make it work and I didn't do it well enough and the chapter suffered for it. I promise I'll do better! Thank you for your patience!

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter. It was my first major assignment and I didn't do a very good job so I am so very sorry!

It's not that big a deal. Most people are way more interested in being able to read the stuff in the first place, and some editing ends up way, way worse than this. The only major problem I had personally was some of the blurry text, and I'm sure that could get better with practice and with some advice from more experienced editors.

I will get better and more intuitive at these things! Everyone has been very kind and helpful and I am taking their advice to heart to try to improve the job I do. I'm sorry it was such a distraction. The story really is a very engaging one. I promise!

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Credit pages are killing me

Whome2
joined Apr 2, 2013

I will get better and more intuitive at these things! Everyone has been very kind and helpful and I am taking their advice to heart to try to improve the job I do. I'm sorry it was such a distraction. The story really is a very engaging one. I promise!

Hey. Props for taking the criticism well. Every editor's first typeset is rough. Mine was way worse than this. We can feel your passion and enthusiasm for this title, and that's always nice to see.

If you have a QC or more experienced editor, they should've guided or looked over your work. So don't try to beat yourself too down. Typesetting/cleaning is a joint effort between the translator and editor. Not even the most expierenced type setter could've worked well with the length of the dialogue, so someone should've looked over both the edit and the translation.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

parasocial relationship energies reaching overwhelming levels

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

Hey. Props for taking the criticism well. Every editor's first typeset is rough. Mine was way worse than this. We can feel your passion and enthusiasm for this title, and that's always nice to see.

If you have a QC or more experienced editor, they should've guided or looked over your work. So don't try to beat yourself too down. Typesetting/cleaning is a joint effort between the translator and editor. Not even the most expierenced type setter could've worked well with the length of the dialogue, so someone should've looked over both the edit and the translation.

Being a writer I was a bit surprised at the number of words in the chapter but I still should have handled it better.I'm doing a bit more editing on my own, now, so hopefully I can cut down on the verbosity a bit to make it a bit easier to read, too! I really want to be able to do whatever I can to help bring these stories to life and share them with people who will appreciate them! Since I can't read Japanese or Chinese I want to be able to help where I can!
Thank you for your kind words and for not judging me too harshly!

Whome2
joined Apr 2, 2013

Being a writer I was a bit surprised at the number of words in the chapter but I still should have handled it better.I'm doing a bit more editing on my own, now, so hopefully I can cut down on the verbosity a bit to make it a bit easier to read, too! I really want to be able to do whatever I can to help bring these stories to life and share them with people who will appreciate them! Since I can't read Japanese or Chinese I want to be able to help where I can!

Your enthusiasm is infectious. Feel free to hit me up if you need/want help.

Biggest tip I ever came across during my time as an editor: if you do a good job no one notices.

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

Your enthusiasm is infectious. Feel free to hit me up if you need/want help.

Biggest tip I ever came across during my time as an editor: if you do a good job no one notices.

That's my goal! I want it to be so that no one even notices I exist! It sucks being responsible for distracting from the story and art and I hope to one day get good enough so that I can fade into the background and just concentrate on helping to bring an engaging story and adorable art to people who normally wouldn't have the chance to enjoy it!
I will definitely contact you, though the program I use is pretty simple and I've just started learning how to use it (I'm not great at graphics, yet) so I can't do much in the way of fanciness, I've started using a lot of the suggestions people have given me so I have a better grasp of things. I'm also going to be a bit more involved in taking the translation and making it slightly more conversational for English speakers. Hopefully, it won't be quite so wordy and literal. Thank you so much for your kindness and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on my next chapter, which is chapter 8!

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

I love this manga.. looking for more!

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Yeah...there's definitely something supernatural going on here.
My guesses a) Shinonome is literally a god and she doesn't even know it. The cafe girl is someone from the dark side and that's why she knows her true identity.
b) Shinonome is manipulating all the readers through her manga in order for them to go out and blow up things exactly like how it happened in the manga.

It's just bizarre because we haven't been introduced to the genre from the beginning, which is what happens at least 99% of the time. This story could work as a drama/stalker type only, without feeling like something's missing.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 9:23PM

Tumblr_b9119341864f4a413e9ee9aac568bb24_2bec616a_1280%20(1)
joined Apr 2, 2020

this story is so weird... if there’s no supernatural elements that’s supposed to be in the story then aiko definitely has some sort of mental problem??

also that blonde bitch is really rude wow i lowkey hate her but she’s hot sooooo

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

Maybe there is a group of fans or haters who wanna reproduce what happened in the manga... Seeing how Aiko is I can clearly see more people getting that into it and starting crazy acts. I don't see real supernatural elements for now...

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

Mao really should have reminded her at some point "You know she's human right?" And just put that point out there whenever Aiko gets too zealous about godhood.

Probably would help level out her expectations some with continued repetition

joined Apr 17, 2017

What happened to this manga? It seems like we just stopped getting the updates here. Other sites have a translation for the whole series––27 chapters. I just discovered it was finished.

It's a shame, to my mind. This is one I was really excited to read whenever a chapter posted here. Of course, now I'm just going to binge it.

I have the first two tankoubon for this, but it looks like the 3rd volume hasn't been published yet except electronically.

Azumaya%20koyuki
joined Oct 2, 2014

Since the meet and greet event with Shinonome-sensei happened already, and taking pictures were allowed, and social media exists, wouldn't Aiko be able to find tons of pictures of Shinonome-sensei on social media?

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

For those who haven't already read the rest on Mangadex: After a whole bunch of drama, the manga ends on an 'only good friends' note.

Once Mangadex is back up, you can judge for yourselves.

last edited at Apr 9, 2021 11:18AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

For those who haven't already read the rest on Mangadex: After a whole bunch of drama, the manga ends on an 'only good friends' note.

I've started reading it from Manganelo...
Also why did i have to read that spoiler -.- I was like I don't mind spoilers, but I didn't see that coming tbh...

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Since the meet and greet event with Shinonome-sensei happened already, and taking pictures were allowed, and social media exists, wouldn't Aiko be able to find tons of pictures of Shinonome-sensei on social media?

There is a very good reason why that did not happen.

joined Jan 3, 2022

I've started reading it from Manganelo...
Also why did i have to read that spoiler -.- I was like I don't mind spoilers, but I didn't see that coming tbh...

I really wish it wasn't advertised as a Yuri romance story, cause since it ended the way it did, i was very disappointed.

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

Well, I just binged the whole series on Mangadex. I'm satisfied with this as a work in the yuri genre. This is a cohabitation story where the two main characters are the most important people in each other's lives, and there's no implication that they would leave that lifestyle for someone else. As a story in general, though, there are problems. It's heartwarming that they work out their self esteem issues through each other and learn not to suppress the parts of themselves that are unattractive, but most of this happens in the last volume through internal monologue, not action or even dialogue. The pacing is extremely off. I liked the first two volumes where they slowly got closer and had slice of life moments, but I have to wonder why more drama didn't get completed in them, and why there was a subplot at all, although I do like the popular gyaru. There's also a major plot hole: if the gyaru didn't destroy Aiko's book, then who did? and a major part of the story that I think could have used some explanation: what was up with so many coincidences in a row of Mao's story predicting natural disasters, unless somehow her editor was editing in information from weather forecasts? Overall, though, I don't regret reading it. It was definitely a unique manga, and the struggles of Mao in particular were compelling to read. It's beautiful and a little unreal, two fucked up people as if by fate fitting perfectly together.

last edited at Feb 28, 2022 11:19PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.