i have so many questions..

880a1547-0d59-49f1-95ac-6b18ebe34a0d
joined Aug 10, 2020

happy tree

Hino1
joined Nov 17, 2018

OH?????? cute :((((

joined Jan 14, 2020

To be fair, amecomi (useful word) were in fact heavily dominated by decades by DC/Marvel superheroes stories, the way D&D dominates tabletop RPGs. There was other stuff, but pretty niche.

This has changed: bookstore sales are now the majority (vs. 'direct market'/comic stores), and bookstore sales are dominated by juvenile and manga, with superheroes at only 10%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2019/10/08/surprising-new-data-shows-comic-readers-are-leaving-superheroes-behind/

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

I've bought a lot of manga--also some manwa & manhua--at bookstores, but most of those in my city went out of business long before the pandemic. So stupidheroes are leaving comics behind to take over Hollywood, huh? In the name of nostalgia I actually saw the Batman vs. Superman movie. Sigh. Just as bad a I remembered.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

This has changed: bookstore sales are now the majority (vs. 'direct market'/comic stores), and bookstore sales are dominated by juvenile and manga, with superheroes at only 10%.

Ok, I'm going to ask a naive question: what do they mean by "juvenile fiction" comics? Something like Archie comics? Or teen adventure stories like those so common in Japanese light novels?

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Love how the comments are split between "Tree puns" and an argument about comics lol

Fb_img_1635141802267
joined Jun 24, 2020

cute ///^///

joined Jan 14, 2020

Ok, I'm going to ask a naive question: what do they mean by "juvenile fiction" comics? Something like Archie comics? Or teen adventure stories like those so common in Japanese light novels?

The article mentions Dog Man and Telgemeier's Guts, so I think stuff like that and Lumberjanes.

https://www.vulture.com/2017/06/raina-telgemeier-kids-comics.html talks more about the market and links to the NYT top 10 https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/paperback-graphic-books/?_r=0 none of which are an Archie collection (or a superhero collection.)

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

this looks like an oakay story

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

she is gonna be Pinening for her, hoping that her dreams dont turn to ash, she is gonna feel sympathy towards her because some of her co-workers are kinda Birchy, she is gonna take her away from that and... well maybe chil and have a nice time one the beech, cause this is a mission of love and she is at the elm

joined Jan 3, 2020

In an amecomi, Kisaki would don spandex and use her powers to fight crime.

In a manga, she works at a shop using her extra limbs to better multitask, and then meets a cute coworker and finds yuri love.

This is why I adore manga. And don't like amecomi.

I showed this chapter to a friend and she said: "Disease my ass. She's not sick. She's a muthafuckin' Marvel mutant!"
I couldn't find any good argument to disagree with that, haha.

So we're pretending shonen manga don't exist today, are we?

Name twenty shonen protagonists who wear spandex bodysuits.

I could name 200 manga where her only role would be to be a pair of breasts for the protagonist teenage boy to accidentally fall into.

Seriously, attacking American comics as being trope-ridden is accurate and fine, but from the perspective of manga? Holy moly, what a hypocritical argument.

I mean everyone here should know this. Yuri occupies <1% of the manga market, and Yuri series are axed left and right. What does make it through is usually because it has a high enough quantity of breasts to attract male readers or because the manga is posted directly to the internet so nobody can stop it.

Mainstream manga (consisting primarily of the same 2 isekai plots and some high school harem life plots) is just as horrific and trope-ridden. I shouldn't even have to go on.

last edited at Aug 19, 2020 2:46PM

joined Apr 6, 2019

^ The above utter nonsense was written either by someone who has never looked at a manga releases updates page in his life or by a troll. Either way, I won't even bother arguing. My advice to everyone: don't waste your valuable time explaining the facts of life to this kind of person.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I'm honestly surprised somebody disagreed. Do you seriously hold up the medium of manga as infallible and believe that the average shounen manga sold is a fundamentally compelling product?

I enjoy manga greatly, but I don't glorify it as some kind of ultimate final destination of creativity, like art was a giant puzzle and manga was the missing piece. As is everything, it's riddled with tropes; things that become popular spawn clones of imitators until the mainstream is clogged with derivatives (thanks Sword Art Online). It's got great stuff, too, and very unique concepts, but it has lots of shortcomings as well. For example, I can't stand the entire concept of 'fanservice', and it utterly ruins most mainstream manga for me (thankfully this is not super common in Yuri). Fanservice to me feels like an author is talking down to the audience saying "this is probably too complex for the average reader, so here have a panty shot instead". It's essentially a bad fourth wall break about as subtle as a slap in the face.

I mean, I'm here precisely because I've become tired of my culture's tropes and want to indulge in a different culture's creativity. But after doing that for several years, it's hard not to see those tropes instead. I especially enjoy things like this manga, which appears to be doing something different from the norm (though honestly, I still love the Yuri norm for the most part because I have a soft spot for Yuri).

Edit: And whether or not you reply isn't really relevant; I'm not trying to pressure you to do that (just think of the initial question as rhetorical). I'm just trying to elaborate on the point I was trying to make in my first post because it apparently didn't come across very well.

last edited at Aug 19, 2020 2:51PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Mainstream manga (consisting primarily of the same 2 isekai plots and some high school harem life plots) is just as horrific and trope-ridden. I shouldn't even have to go on.

The problem is that you've confused "manga genres have tropes", which no one could argue with, with "manga is as horrifically trope-ridden as US superhero comics".

Manga is a far more diverse market, or set of markets, than US comics have been. We've got the shounen, shoujo, seinen, and josei markets. I suspect that even if we looked just at shounen we would find a lot more diversity than in US superheroes.

The very non-tropey seinen manga Mushishi did well in Japan: "The ten volumes have sold over 3.8 million copies.[79] Individual volumes frequently appeared on the weekly lists of best-selling manga there."

380,000 sales per volume is better than top selling comic issues in the US, almost 3x bigger than Japan...

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

All US comics are about how bad Saddam Hussein is and why we need to balance the deficit. All manga is about fucking lolis. The two can coexist.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

All manga is about fucking lolis.

ITOU HACHI APPROVES OF THIS MESSAGE.

joined Jul 23, 2019

Lol, poor Itou Hachi, she's so typecast.

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

this looks like an oakay story

xD

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

I am groot

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Lol, poor Itou Hachi, she's so typecast.

She rightfully earned it.

Also this manga is indeed super cute, I can’t wait for more!

Fb_img_1593319111797
joined Jun 21, 2020

I am Groot

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Even though the whole "defending my bullied classmate/coworker" thing is a bit of a cliche, it's still one I rather like. This really is cute and wholesome.

You think if they bang, those flowers will turn to fruit?

Hell yeah Chishiro you tell that old hag to leaf you alone and mind her own damn business (I couldn't resist). Also it's just the cutest thing when Kisaki is happy she blooms flowers, talk about blooming with happiness on a different level, it's a nice detail.

(@jokanhiyou)%20salvo%20para%20propositos%20obvios
joined Jan 28, 2020

I wonder if tree girl gets bald when autumn comes

To reply you must either login or sign up.