Forum › Just The Way You Are discussion

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

Idk about you guys, but i read this manga's title singing Bruno Mars.

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

When I read the title... I instantly sang "Just the way you are"... XD

joined Sep 13, 2018

"i would like to tell you what i often told you when you were much younger...i like you just the way you are" Mr. rogers from good neighboors when he said good bye due to a terminal illness.

The title reminded me that sadly.

This is quite good but i would like a continuation to see the FeMC succed , to me it seems everything can go wrong if the other girl stops loving her or if something happens to her.

joined Jun 12, 2019

I thought it was kinda cute but ya’ll are saying she’s dead now I’m just like ....

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

I wish someone would hold me like senpai hold her girlfriend

Screen%20shot%202018-06-11%20at%2010.09.53%20am
joined Sep 30, 2019

Aaaa this was so good! the end made me cry a bit

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Protagonist could be autistic

I had the same thought.

Interesting. My guess would have been ADD, due to the difficulty following directions and remembering tasks as well as the later assertion that she's still smart and creative. ... There may be some level of bias in my interpretation though; this was painfully relatable, minus the bullying.

Download
joined May 10, 2016

The end is so sad, she's alive just because she love and not for herself, that's just a toxic relationship...

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Sad but wholesome. She found someone who could drag her out of the dark, and hopefully one day show her how to live for themself.

joined Jul 23, 2019

Okaaay... so the moral would be something like this:
If you are a lesbian surrounded by het girls and are desperate for female companionship, go after the one girl in school who is completely alienated, depressed, has zero self-esteem and may have mental issues. Even if she's straight, she will be so happy she'll agree to anything you want ─ and will even move in with you after you both graduate, as by that time you'll have become her hero, her goddess, and the sun of her life.

Eh, there's worse. I'm not complaining.

joined May 11, 2015

wished there was more to read off; felt like it had some potential

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The end is so sad, she's alive just because she love and not for herself, that's just a toxic relationship...

Those seem like an unreasonably pessimistic takes.

It can be very easy to develop an extremely negative self image with certain neurological and psychological disorders, both because of the direct effect they have on your life and because of the way society treats them. This is especially true when you are otherwise competent or even very intelligent. Having someone who can help compensate for some of your issues and remind you that your not trash can be incredibly helpful.

My read was that the MC was very socially isolated growing up and her girlfriend was basically the whole of her support network. That's not particularly healthy, but the issue isn't a toxic relationship. It's also not so much a matter of living because she's in love, rather than for herself, as her lover giving her the tools she needs to live.

Okaaay... so the moral would be something like this:
If you are a lesbian surrounded by het girls and are desperate for female companionship, go after the one girl in school who is completely alienated, depressed, has zero self-esteem and may have mental issues. Even if she's straight, she will be so happy she'll agree to anything you want ─ and will even move in with you after you both graduate, as by that time you'll have become her hero, her goddess, and the sun of her life.

Eh, there's worse. I'm not complaining.

I'm not even sure where this one came from. There's no indication that the Senpai chose her out of desperation or that they do not genuinely care about each other. Quite the contrary, the Senpai seems to view her quite highly, despite her issues.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Omega Deuse posted:

Those seem like an unreasonably pessimistic takes.

It can be very easy to develop an extremely negative self image with certain neurological and psychological disorders, both because of the direct effect they have on your life and because of the way society treats them. This is especially true when you are otherwise competent or even very intelligent. Having someone who can help compensate for some of your issues and remind you that your not trash can be incredibly helpful.

My read was that the MC was very socially isolated growing up and her girlfriend was basically the whole of her support network. That's not particularly healthy, but the issue isn't a toxic relationship. It's also not so much a matter of living because she's in love, rather than for herself, as her lover giving her the tools she needs to live.

That's right, a way to love yourself would be someone to remind you how much you are loved and how much you mean to them, there's absolute 0 things in the story to assume that this is a toxic relationship, the original poster makes it sound like she would've been better left alone to suffer or that people aren't allowed to love someone depressed because the only reason to do so would be to take advantage of their loneliness... You have to be a pretty twisted person to reach to that answer only.

I think the meaning of the story is pretty straightforward, it doesn't matter if there are many people who don't like you or if you feel that you don't belong in most places, because if there's someone who really likes you or a place that welcomes you with open arms AND YOU'RE HAPPY WITH IT then, you don't need to please the rest of the world.

last edited at Feb 10, 2020 1:58PM

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Man, Sakurako sure has become depressing after leaving the yuru yuri universe.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm really not seeing ANY toxicity in the relationship with her girlfriend. Senpai basically showers her with positive messages about her intelligence and her self-worth. The fact that she's having trouble internalizing those feelings says more about the level of abuse she's suffered and not that her girlfriend is some kind of predator pouncing on a vulnerable girl. Is it her eyes? Is that why people think she's not sincere? She does have a rather "sharp" look to her...

Whatever.... I wish it was longer and more developed in a way, but I also don't know that I would want to read a longer, more developed story with her mother in it.

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Damn, that hit me on personal level. Pretty fortunate that I grew out of my parent shadow tbh
Seriously, that relationship is not depicted as toxic, sometimes you just need someone to make you realize life. That's just the MC first step, hopefully she will mature.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

pg 4, "by side" -> "by my side"

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

A positive bent to the "girlfriend is dead and those are flashbacks" idea some had - before dying the girlfriend successfully dragged her out of her depressed shell and MC is now living to honor her memory, like those sappy "X is still alive in our hearts" lines you hear/see all the time in fiction. The "as long as she needs me" line in this interpretation would refer to her determination to live for both of them or some other positive spin on the "dead gf" scenario.

(No, I do not think the gf is dead. Neither do I think she is in a dangerous codependent relationship. For once, I am optimistic about a manga's end.)

To reply you must either login or sign up.