Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

joined Jan 5, 2016

Being in contact with the author herself, she has expressed her sadness over seeing people pirate the manga (and that includes scanlating it). I don't have any authority to tell you guys what to do/what not to do, but please, if you end up enjoying the novel or manga, consider offering her your support. It's fine if you can't or don't have the means to or you simply just don't want to, but at least keep it in mind if you can!> > >

I just pre-ordered the novel, I hope that compensates it a little...

I'd get the manga but I don't see it in English :(

I suppose I should buy it in Japanese and practice a little (is hard though)

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

This thread balooned rather quickly, given the manga is only at its first chapter rn. From what I understood from skimming through the comments, this is based on some kinda novel, though I'm not sure if by "novel" they meant like the same type that those works here that are tagged text, or if they meant visual novel, as in, the game type? Either, that in part explains the numerous comments, but it's still astounding.

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 6:01PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

This thread balooned rather quickly, given the manga is only at its first chapter rn. From what I understood from skimming through the comments, this is based on some kinda novel, though I'm not sure if by "novel" they meant like the same type that those works here that are tagged text, or if they meant visual novel, as in, the game type? Either, that in part explains the numerous comments, but it's still astounding.

It's a web novel that was turned into a light novel (added illustrations to the og web novel) that's set in the world of a fictional visual novel.

thelostwanderer
Screenshot_20200715-165719_1_1
joined Jan 1, 2019

I read the novel and without spoiling anything, this has potential to be really, really amazingly good!

azure lastation
joined Jun 26, 2020

welp time to read this story again in manga form

Tumblr_nbee0zysh31tbx9b9o1_1280
joined Dec 5, 2014

Being in contact with the author herself, she has expressed her sadness over seeing people pirate the manga (and that includes scanlating it). I don't have any authority to tell you guys what to do/what not to do, but please, if you end up enjoying the novel or manga, consider offering her your support. It's fine if you can't or don't have the means to or you simply just don't want to, but at least keep it in mind if you can!> > >

It’s in Amazon too! I try to buy it but the shipping to my country is way too expensive and I don’t have that kind of money :( but here’s the link if you want it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1645058638/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1645058638&linkCode=as2&tag=yurimother-20&linkId=07d8476adae31844c5e0044d8c31620b

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

So I skimmed through the light novel series after seeing this chapter and a bunch of recommendations, since there's a free fan translation online. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't get light novels. It's like a script for a manga but with less detail, mostly focused on very basic dialogue and gags, and the whole isekai thing just seems like a way for the MC to automatically know everything and have like 0 real conflicts/obstacles?

I wonder if the manga will have this scene, which honestly was just the highlight of the series and the only reason I don't regret skimming through it:

So despite displaying that the MC can do massive fucking stuff with earth magic (and bully can basically blow everything up with fire magic), idk how the magic system really works because the explanations for it are just kind of quick asides, her and bully girl get locked in a warehouse at school running an errand. They're like "Whelp guess we're locked in and can't get out! How inconvenient!" Because I guess the author forgot they had crazy magic or the door/metal lock has some convenient plot armor. But wait! Bully girl has to go to the bathroom! Oh no. So what do we do? MC makes her a fucking bathroom cubicle by like pulling stone from the wall/ground - but not like, opening up the side of the building and putting it back together after they leave, that's too easy - and it has a western toilet, with flushing power AND a bidet (cause she can use earth and water magic proficiently enough to design modern plumbing). Great! Bully can pee in peace except horny MC listens to her pee.

So I guess I just don't vibe with light novels. Hope the manga adaptation is better... Somehow.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So I skimmed through the light novel series after seeing this chapter and a bunch of recommendations, since there's a free fan translation online. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't get light novels. It's like a script for a manga but with less detail, mostly focused on very basic dialogue and gags, and the whole isekai thing just seems like a way for the MC to automatically know everything and have like 0 real conflicts/obstacles?

Keep in mind the original was very roughly machine-translated, which contributes to the feeling that there's less detail and it's all basic dialogue. I know I was put-off by the awkwardness of the phrasing and style at first. It is true though that in this particular story, there's a lot of relatively simple back and forth dialogue. That does not apply to all light novels. Adachi and Shimamura (also on this site) is a prime example of that, so there's really no need to generalize. I would recommend not assuming there's no conflict or obstacles as it's clear the protagonist is hiding a lot from readers.

I wonder if the manga will have this scene, which honestly was just the highlight of the series and the only reason I don't regret skimming through it:

If that's the highlight of the series so far, you haven't gotten far.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

If that's the highlight of the series so far, you haven't gotten far.

It wasn't a "highlight" so much as "this is ridiculous and the biggest example of how much I disliked it." Also, I read all of the first 112 chapters. So the main series in it's entirety without the sequels.

last edited at Jul 3, 2020 12:47AM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Can't believe I just noticed this now. Where was I this whole time?
I discovered this wonderful series just now, I'm so fucking late but I'm happy!

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't get light novels.

That's completely valid. Light novels are bonkers and are a massive trip to read. They seem to run on this weird kind of anime/TV logic and are supposed to be very quick and easy to digest. This one in particular is an entirely self-published web novel, so the whole thing is going to feel even more amateurish than normal. But like, that being said, I loved the damn thing and latched onto it in a deeply emotional way, lack of talent or craft be damned. As I think a lot of readers did. I mean, pacing is terrible, plots are kind of absurd, descriptions of any kind are almost non-existent, but the stakes are always high and the yuri is off the charts!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't get light novels.

That's completely valid. Light novels are bonkers and are a massive trip to read. They seem to run on this weird kind of anime/TV logic and are supposed to be very quick and easy to digest. This one in particular is an entirely self-published web novel, so the whole thing is going to feel even more amateurish than normal. But like, that being said, I loved the damn thing and latched onto it in a deeply emotional way, lack of talent or craft be damned. As I think a lot of readers did. I mean, pacing is terrible, plots are kind of absurd, descriptions of any kind are almost non-existent, but the stakes are always high and the yuri is off the charts!

Agreed. The web novel was definitely flawed and there were lots of things I would've changed - and that's not even getting into the translation. But still, I really loved it and am glad the author's doing well, what with the light novel and manga adaptations.

Also, there's the chance that the actual light novel is better written. I have no idea, since it hasn't come out in English yet and I haven't seen any reviews of it compared to the web novel. I haven't been keeping up with the second part of the web novel, but I have heard that it has better writing and foreshadowing and the like. Hopefully the light novel incorporated some of that into rewriting some of rougher parts of the original novel.

joined Feb 24, 2019

Is she gonna turn out to be the Avatar or something? I wouldn't be against that development, but it is a little strange that they wouldn't show her aptitude results.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I find it hard to love this more than I already do, which is a lot hahaha

I love the way she failed table manners hahahahaha, I mean... how could you NOT lose that? it's unfair! thanks for translating this wonderful series!

"The prince is interested in the mc" hahahah HAHAHAHAHAHHA they don't know that they've lost before even knowing they were competing

last edited at Aug 3, 2020 8:59PM

439fd417db3b8250e628d9360cc82281
joined Jun 2, 2019

Gotta agree with Rei, Claire looked super hot during etiquette exam.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

This is probably a weird thing to focus on, but I really like Claire's and Rei's fancy outfits for the etiquette test. In the web novel there wasn't even a mention of them changing clothes. Also Rei getting distracted by the sexy is definitely a mood.

Also, if anyone was wondering this chapter was only adapted from one chapter of the web novel, unlike the previous one that adapted the first six web novel chapters. It's a pretty good adaptation IMO, cutting out a lot of the less important exposition and expanding on other parts. For example, Rei's point about the king trying to make the country be more of a meritocracy facing opposition from the nobles is shown with her getting pushed around by her classmates; it's a nice little addition that wasn't in the original chapter.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Gotta agree with Rei, Claire looked super hot during etiquette exam.

I wonder if their married life is full of moments like these

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Lotta new material here. Works pretty well, though

20265099_331371470609667_965795103732342855_n
joined May 28, 2017

thnks for translation
looking for more <3

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

This was originally a light novel, right? Is it worth a read or should I just read the manga as it's translated? Hell, is the LN even translated?

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

This was originally a light novel, right? Is it worth a read or should I just read the manga as it's translated? Hell, is the LN even translated?

It was originally a web novel, and then was adapted to a light novel and then the manga. The web novel was fan-translated online, whereas the light novel is going to be officially released in English in a few months.

You can read ahead on the web novel for free if you want, but the fan translation is pretty rough. Also it's pretty exposition-y. If you're fine with that, go for it.

Kazami%20yuuka3
joined Aug 6, 2017

Originally it was a WN published in Syosetsu, but it got popular enough to get noticed and published by GL Bunko and became a LN, which then is adapted to a manga right now.

Only the WN is translated right now and is continuing on with its sequel story. My overall opinion is quite positive, but the series has some pacing and poor characterization issues.

A point deduction like that was all worth it, to gaze upon the classy hotness that Claire-sama exudes.

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

This manga just came out like 2 months ago so don't expect a English ver for at least a year

last edited at Aug 4, 2020 4:38AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.