Forum › Negev x Kar98k discussion

Standalone%20kurarin
joined Dec 1, 2010

An interesting read.
Certainly not what I expected when I first clicked, but the opening panel made it extremely obvious what kind of way this story wanted to go. Nazism and the horrors of the holocaust are always tricky things to approach from a fictional (or, really, any other) angle, but I think the author did a decent job with it; it was certainly a story I could appreciate against that backdrop. I liked the characters of Kar98k and Negev, both seemed to have their own struggles, objectives, and feelings, and neither felt flat to me (which I expected them to). I liked the interaction of Negev and Kar98k at the end of the first part; I'd say it's Stockholm Syndrome, but with the ending chapter and epilogue, it felt more like some kind of calculated, perverse, and co-dependent revenge... which was so on-point for the rest of the atmosphere of the piece, it felt perfect. The minimal dialogue (especially in the first chapter) was also well executed.

Even if the subject matter (rape, power abuse, regular ol' abuse, etc) and the backdrop (Nazis, holocaust, concentration camps) is unpleasant, the story is still worth it in my opinion. I think it tells a story with those elements, it doesn't present those elements with a story (or, "story") around them.

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I always love the comments on shit like this that’s either some distraught person saying “omg that’s so fucked up” or some edgelord like “eh, I read 10x worse shit every day bro”

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Oh no, I woke up on that side of the internet again.

I would like to believe I'm desensitized to the horrors of war but I still feel sad that WWII was even a thing.

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

Honestly not the most fucked up thing I read on the the internet. That last page got me pretty 'wohhh'. The artist didn't even show the most fucked up part; Camp A was bolted up with no escape. Who knows for how long and that girl probably started eating the dead bodies to survive

last edited at Jul 15, 2020 2:33PM

Funny%20and%20cute
joined Jul 15, 2020

Well, this wasn't all that bad. Excluding the Epilogue (that makes you go "wut" because it just goes to other people out of nowhere) the story was decent. All around sad and gross et cetera. Blood and all, but nothing really graphic, no Mortal Kombat level shit. If you grew up watching Hollywood movies, this is fine.

joined May 23, 2015

The tags were telling me "YES".
And if you think this story is horribly fucked up then I don't know what to tell you.. there's plenty of far worse stories out there, some even on this site from what I recall. They just don't revolve around nazis and holocaust so people just pass them by.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

I don't know what people were expecting with all the WWII symbolism.

Not sure how long this is going to last here on this site since another manga a couple years back got completely purged just because the scanlation group put an iron cross in their credits page despite the manga having absolutely nothing to do with WWII and everyone got up in arms over it.

edit: despite the fact I've read this multiple times before on a different site I completely forgot how fucked up this is and made my first comment before re-reading this.

Point still stands about the second thing though.

last edited at Jul 15, 2020 11:37AM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I don't know what people were expecting with all the WWII symbolism.

Not sure how long this is going to last here on this site since another manga a couple years back got completely purged just because the scanlation group put an iron cross in their credits page despite the manga having absolutely nothing to do with WWII and everyone got up in arms over it.

There is a whole ocean of contextual difference between depicting NAZIs in a story and associating yourself with NAZI phrases and symbolism. You are free to speculate about authorial intent all you want, and I would argue that the intent in this is likely not very pro-NAZI, but it is important to distinguish between even the most obtuse and offensive message in a fictional work and someone endorsing that message in real life or online.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Futanari is not Yuri you stupid cucks

4chan disagrees with you

You apparently haven't been there if you say that.

20180507_162716
joined Apr 5, 2015

Personally, I think that the story itself was good, albeit the surrounding thematics for the story more grim. Except the last chapter, that one never sat well with me whenever I read it.

Also, with regards to the last chapter, the tie in with the main part was the last few panels, it showed how those two were going around with that list, presumably a list of living/possibly living Nazi higher ups, Kar98k being the next one they were going to look into.

Fb_img_1593709389462
joined Jun 23, 2020

I remember reading this before somewhere. Yeah its pretty disgusting.

I wonder if the epilogue is a reference to Josef Mengele? A nazi doctor who did torturous experiments at auschwitz particularly on twins and he had a thing for eyeballs.

Edit: yeah it is because he fled to brazil to escape execution for his crimes and they even put down how he died from a stroke while swimming

Yeah, I think so too

Siren2
joined Jan 15, 2014

no

joined Jul 22, 2016

The background/concept design of the comic is a pretty interesting read... It's much more in depth than I expected when I first read the comic.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_jc3rfoa6W5n9hj6zGDYSP96PozEUU1d7dadGUofYDA/edit?usp=sharing

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

The background/concept design of the comic is a pretty interesting read... It's much more in depth than I expected when I first read the comic.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_jc3rfoa6W5n9hj6zGDYSP96PozEUU1d7dadGUofYDA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for sharing this, it gives a deeper understanding behind the amount of work the artist put into this comic.

I love it.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Thanks for sharing this, it gives a deeper understanding behind the amount of work the artist put into this comic.

I love it.

To think an ecchi mobile game about anthropomorphic guns with big... magazines would teach someone on the opposite side of the world about WWII and the Holocaust.

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

I love it.

To think an ecchi mobile game about anthropomorphic guns with big... magazines would teach someone on the opposite side of the world about WWII and the Holocaust.

The author chose the setting, then, instead of doing some cursory searchs for a few random pictures from documentaries and making some generic stereotypical NS death camp story, he dedicated a commendable amount of research and work to make it resemble reality, even down to trivial details. His work ethics is great.

Thank you, 4noki, for sharing this document.

Wolfsister%20cara
joined Feb 10, 2013

I love it.

The author chose the setting, then, instead of doing some cursory searchs for a few random pictures from documentaries and making some generic stereotypical NS death camp story, he dedicated a commendable amount of research and work to make it resemble reality, even down to trivial details. His work ethics is great.

+1. I really enjoyed reading about the throughts of the autor.

last edited at Jul 15, 2020 6:53PM

joined Sep 6, 2018

Dark. I’m surprised this ended up here on Dynasty. Aside from the yuri, I’m reminded of “Never again”... but it still happens: Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, Burma.

I personally don’t like this manga... it is repulsive,, but it forces me to think about depravity of humanity upon each other. Thus, despite the manga being bad, it still gets my respect for making me think about the past.

This manga won’t go anywhere (nobody will sell to print) so if anyone decides to get a copy, downloading it from here will have to do.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Well, that was a read. Honestly not as bad as I thought it was gonna till the epilogue. Hell, didn't even plan on reading this until my morbid curiosity got the better of me. Honestly, I'm glad it did. Certainly was unsettling, but I think that's what it wanted to go for. I doubt you're SUPPOSED to feel comfortable reading this.

Oh, and that traitor girl that got locked in camp A totally turned to cannibalism at some point. Why else would the people searching it be so horrified?

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Dark. I’m surprised this ended up here on Dynasty. Aside from the yuri, I’m reminded of “Never again”... but it still happens: Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, Burma.

There is a chapter in Maus that speaks to this; where the survivor father goes on a racist tirade against a Black gas station attendant, to the chagrin of his adult children. This was brought up in response to the outcry last year against AOC using the phrase "Never again" in reference to the concentration camps now operating on the southern border of the USA. The message is that even to some survivors (even now to the managing director of the Holocaust Museum) it is not "Never again, to anyone anywhere" but "Never again, to the Jews of Germany". Conveniently this popular world interpretation of the idea ignores the Roma, communist, emigrant, and LGBT victims. All of which are groups who around the world, even and perhaps especially in countries which the holocaust was perpetrated by the invading German state in (i.e. Poland, Hungary, Austria), are having their rights to speech, movement, and property violated or revoked in much the same way as the lead up to the holocaust. It's fair to say that if any of the world's nations learned a lesson from this it's how not to get punished for it.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

I usually like fucked up stuff, but the holocaust hits way too close to home. Like, dude. holy shit.

Untitled
joined Oct 4, 2014

fucked up. but not as bad as what i thought. def diff from all the stuff that usually on dynasty. kinda refreshing actually

Cromartie%20highscool
joined Jun 7, 2014

remember kids
it can always get worse

joined Aug 21, 2017

I love it.

+1. I really enjoyed reading about the throughts of the autor.

As fucked up as the manga itself was, at least the author did some solid research.

joined Oct 2, 2019

damn, that was... damn

To reply you must either login or sign up.