Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Hmmm, I mean, chapter 1 is absolutely designed to make people think she's something of a shameless masochist. I assume people have gathered from others who have read the web novel posting here that Rei isn't quite like that. And I'm no expert on Japanese media and comedy, but the masochist act is part of the old straight man/funny man comedy routine which western readers may just not be recognizing as easily. Basically, what you're seeing is the gag. Which gets better and better as time goes on and the chemistry between Claire and Rei gets unreal.

The web novel does have Rei flat-out say Claire has talent for being a tsukkomi (as in part of a Manzai), so it's pretty clear that Rei isn't really taking Claire's threats seriously at all.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least a little masochistic, but it's not like those are mutually exclusive anyways.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Form what I see Aniale, you have issue with intentional choices made by the creators to set up themes later in the story.

We don't actually know how those choices will play out in the manga, but it's too early to call them lazy considering how heavily they figure into the story thematically. The connection with Japanese society in the web novel seems intentional so that the author can connect the story in a relevant way to modern LGBT issues. Though this is the same reasoning Rei gives for why the devs built the world out as such, so that these cultural anachronisms of the current issues trans people face, modern concepts of homosexuality, and the like can still be tackled. The modernish setting would help add to that suspension of disbelief and make these issues possible/connected to the story without the trappings of a fantasy setting.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 2:01PM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

FINALLY a premise that's long overdue (this and yuri isekai's). Can't wait to read more.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Rei's first meeting the quad element magic user.

which one?

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Form what I see Aniale, you have issue with intentional choices made by the creators to set up themes later in the story.

We don't actually know how those choices will play out in the manga, but it's too early to call them lazy considering how heavily they figure into the story thematically. The connection with Japanese society in the web novel seems intentional so that the author can connect the story in a relevant way to modern LGBT issues. Though this is the same reasoning Rei gives for why the devs built the world out as such, so that these cultural anachronisms of the current issues trans people face, modern concepts of homosexuality, and the like can still be tackled. The modernish setting would help add to that suspension of disbelief and make these issues possible/connected to the story without the trappings of a fantasy setting.

Honestly, I heard some positive reception of a novel beforehand and was mildly excited to try this out. Yuri and isekai – I am for it. And, okay, I believe that it was deliberate decision, but it didn’t read that way. Because all 1'st chapter was really rushed into: look some characters! Not a second was spent on main character and her perception of new reality, except for: yeah, I’m freakishly in love with this bully-girl. So, it is not surprising that I was disappointed and saw this, like in many others before, as lack of interest in world building. For some this doesn’t matter, and okay, but I wanted something more solid.

Thank you for clearing this up. I have more than one issue with this chapter, but maybe, with more chapters story and world will grow on me.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 2:33PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least a little masochistic, but it's not like those are mutually exclusive anyways.

I mean she did say in one of the extras, and I quote: "meow"

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

cause all 1'st chapter was really rushed into: look some characters! Not a second was spent on main character and her perception of new reality

Moreso that the whole "reincarnated thing" or how she end up here is not tackle at all. Even so she don't seem to be bother that much "Oh no i'm in another wor.... Oh the character i love". It's true that it would have been better to introduce the world in the first chapter than putting a manzai between the MC.

Damn this blew up fast, that being said some of you need some patience, it's barely the first chapter of the manga. Also the answers to all your questions are in the WB.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

So far this is much better than the LN, I can understand clearly what is happening so far. Just to clarify, I'm not saying the LN is bad (it's probably better), just that the fan translation was horrible to follow (most likely just used google translate).

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 3:39PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Finally this is out :D

Oi
joined May 11, 2020

I am so excited that literally had to walk in my house before i start reading.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Yeah I’ve heard a lot about this and I’m so excited

So far this is much better than the LN, I can understand clearly what is happening so far. Just to clarify, I'm not saying the LN is bad (it's probably better), just that the fan translation was horrible to follow (most likely just used google translate).

The original translator did use google translate but it got cleaned up recently, and that is the webnovel version not the LN version

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 4:41PM by

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

@Lilliwyt:

Anyway, kinda kill my hype even if peoples told it got better after but after when ? I heard it got more than 110 chapter and i highlydoubtthere was 5 chapters of th WN in this chapter so we're probably on a 30 chapters manga on a monthly basis which frankly don't really help me to keep the hype i've already lost. I will probably wait and see for next chapter. And before "read the WN/LN", i won't because i pratically never read WN/LN (exception be Adachi to Shimamura and it's mostly because it's ipload here) and it's on a genre that i don't really appreciate.

Actually it did cover five chapters of the WN. Rei waking up and first encountering Claire was chapter one. The discussion with Misha was chapter 2. Claire performing the various acts of bullying and being countered was chapter 3. The scene with the princes was chapters four and five.

cause all 1'st chapter was really rushed into: look some characters! Not a second was spent on main character and her perception of new reality

Moreso that the whole "reincarnated thing" or how she end up here is not tackle at all. Even so she don't seem to be bother that much "Oh no i'm in another wor.... Oh the character i love". It's true that it would have been better to introduce the world in the first chapter than putting a manzai between the MC.

I can't help you there. Unless it's brought up in in the sequel, there is no mention of how or why she reincarnated. On the other hand, that is not uncommon for the otome isekai genre: the main character just ends up there with no idea how it happened, and the focus is on dealing with the situation.

EDIT: I don't mean to be pushy about this series. I get that not all series are for everyone. I just really like this series, first because it brings yuri into a genre that is almost entirely devoid of it, but also because over time it explores it in some significant depth. There is genuine exploration of LGBT issues, and how commonly held discrimination against people in that community can have serious repercussions. While the characters may seem superficial now, over time there is a lot of exploration into who they are and WHY they are who they are. There is an immense amount of character growth, particularly from Claire, but Rei is not immune to it either. There is a slow-building, but very touching romance story. And there's a serious look at the classism inherent in this aristocratic society and the very real-world results thereof.

I would ask that you give it a few more chapters, but if you can't get into it please at least keep it in mind and try coming back to it later, when there are a bunch of chapters available for you to burn through all at once.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 5:00PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Actually it did cover five chapters of the WN. Rei waking up and first encountering Claire was chapter one. The discussion with Misha was chapter 2. Claire performing the various acts of bullying and being countered was chapter 3. The scene with the princes was chapters four and five.

But that mean the chapters of the WN are actually short or did the manga compact it ? Also don't wanna be rude but if the chapters are actually that short (in the WN) then how did it manage to developp both story and characters ? Did the chapters are longer after ? I mean, i'm gonna compare with the only example i had which is Ada and Shima but the LN chapters are actually fairly and skip some part, if not some chapters. So hearing that 5 chapters get squeezed in 35 chapters, i feared a little bit.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 5:17PM

Screenshot%202020-08-05%20at%209.30.03%20pm
joined Nov 21, 2019

This series seems to be fairly popular. I never even heard about it until today. I didn't even know it was based on a light novel. I still enjoyed the first chapter though. Both Rei and Claire look like they'll be fun characters.

439fd417db3b8250e628d9360cc82281
joined Jun 2, 2019

But that mean the chapters of the WN are actually short or did the manga compact it ? Also don't wanna be rude but if the chapters are actually that short (in the WN) then how did it manage to developp both story and characters ? Did the chapters are longer after ? I mean, i'm gonna compare with the only example i had which is Ada and Shima but the LN chapters are actually fairly and skip some part, if not some chapters. So hearing that 5 chapters get squeezed in 35 chapters, i feared a little bit.

They skipped a few stuff that explain how the world work that could be explained later, and there are some scenes that they combined together so it can flow better as one chapter. Like, they pretty much removed the second half of chapter 4 and the first half of chapter 5 and stitched what remained together.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

There is a significant amount of internal narration that is not being brought over: stuff about Rei, stuff about the world, stuff about Claire, stuff about Misha, stuff about the princes, etc. Also, the chapters vary in length: more time is spent on some than on others.

This manga chapter is compacted, but it's functional. There is some information that's notable in not being here, but it doesn't necessarily have to be revealed right now: the timing can be adjusted depending on how they handle things.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

The original translator did use google translate but it got cleaned up recently, and that is the webnovel version not the LN version

Ah, that's right I meant the web novel not LN, sorry. I got mixed up because I know we're getting a LN release this year by Seven Seas (probably gonna pick it up btw).

Dynasty-edited-winter-pharm
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 29, 2010

The manga seems great.

But wow, that online translation is rough to read. It doesn't flow at all. If Seven Seas does publish it I'll pick it up.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Awesome!!! I've been looking forward to this, thanks for all the work!

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Translator for the second part of the web novel here (chapters 113 and onwards).

Originally, I had plans to clean up part one (chapters 1-112), but due to it being licensed, I decided that I would just leave it be. Please look forward to its release in November.

Being in contact with the author herself, she has expressed her sadness over seeing people pirate the manga (and that includes scanlating it). I don't have any authority to tell you guys what to do/what not to do, but please, if you end up enjoying the novel or manga, consider offering her your support. It's fine if you can't or don't have the means to or you simply just don't want to, but at least keep it in mind if you can!

And on the off chance, if anybody here is looking forward to the release of chapter 174 and onwards, it'll be coming sometime next week.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the manga!

Dynasty-edited-winter-pharm
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 29, 2010

Translator for the second part of the web novel here (chapters 113 and onwards).

Originally, I had plans to clean up part one (chapters 1-112), but due to it being licensed, I decided that I would just leave it be. Please look forward to its release in November.

Being in contact with the author herself, she has expressed her sadness over seeing people pirate the manga (and that includes scanlating it). I don't have any authority to tell you guys what to do/what not to do, but please, if you end up enjoying the novel or manga, consider offering her your support. It's fine if you can't or don't have the means to or you simply just don't want to, but at least keep it in mind if you can!

Thats fair about not updating the first half.

I'd honestly would rather have the series removed if the author is vocal about their distaste for scanlations.

It kinda makes me sad though there are pieces of media in the world we will never enjoy because of language barriers.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 8:44PM

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

I will make this a simple message: We need more yuri isekai. If I could draw I would make my own.

I look forward to more from this series.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 9:11PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

maid x ojou Sama doesn't count btw... Don't link me touhou doujinshi lo/

That Touhou maid x ojou-sama ship is my favorite, so you're tempting an obsessive Touhou fan here.

Thanks for the heads-up.

To reply you must either login or sign up.