Forum › Stretch discussion

3e3c2473d2b402178fb48198c09b60c5
joined Aug 31, 2014

I was in Shibuya at the time of the Tohoku earthquake...
It's so weird reading about it in a manga now. :/ It seemed like just yesterday.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

At this point wouldn't it seem a bit of a genre change if they became a couple? At first that's what I wanted, but as I read on it just seemed less and less likely and I'd rather preserve the essence of the story rather than just fanservice. Then again, maybe I still wouldn't mind the yuri...

wah? on this i respecfully disagree. IMHO, it would make more sense if they became a couple and I do not see it as a change in genre. i say this because what we have been seeing for 26 chapters is a slow progression of their friendship from simple roommates to something more akin to family. that said, it is not a far stretch (pun intended) if their friendship progresses to the romantic. why? because we have been presented with coy glances, blushing, cutsie offhand comments... i argue that these examples are the foundation of a relationship. nothing fast. nothing topsy-turvy. just a nice slow progression. that said, if they never become a couple, then that is also ok because they would have a very strong, loving, non-romantic bond which is equally as valid as if they were a couple.

Although I do view them as a very loving pair of friends at the moment, I get the feeling that Ran might be a closeted lesbian who's in love with Keiko - you have references to how she seems uninterested in guys, although she is popular with them, and, I don't know, there's just a sort of undertone with some of the things she says to her. The "cherry-popping" comment is fanbait, sure, but usually when there's fanbait the characters themselves will be unaware of the innuendo, and that is certainly not the case here: Shou has Ran say 'I'm glad this is your first time', which is the usual level of "innocent" service, but then very deliberately follows up with the 'I get to pop one of your cherries' thing, which has overt sexual connotations. Even the normally quite oblivious Keiko notices.

On the other hand, Keiko herself is probably straight or unaware of her bisexuality, giving off a much more friend-like vibe - her touching Ran's hair and groping her generally comes off as innocent interest and admiration (that sounds so positive) rather than lesbian attraction. So while I think that Ran has actually got a fair chance of being a closeted lesbian - which would be incredibly cool if it were true; I'd have to praise Shou for being able to handle the whole thing fairly delicately and realistically - I doubt that she'll get together with Keiko unless she confesses or otherwise makes her feelings obvious. I may be completely wrong, or maybe it just won't happen. But man, do I wish that would it would. Rooting for them all the way, even if they're only just friends without romantic feelings for each other!

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

nhahahahahahahahaha... Oh my... I'm laughing as hard as Ran here.
That new chapter... THAT DAMN NEW CHAPTER...
Damn, Akili! You're such a troll! SUCH A TROLL!!!
It's like he practically confirms (still in subtext), that Ran's totally gay over Keiko, but a Het series of chapters with Ran is approaching.
Nice one. Like. Like really! I'm so... SO trolled... to pieces.

...still hope my amateurish Japanese failed me...

UPD:
so the proper translation made me slightly more optimistic... but let's see - next chapter's in two weeks, haha xD

last edited at Oct 15, 2014 9:24PM

joined Apr 6, 2013

NO, Ran stay away from guys we're disgusting pigs.

joined Oct 13, 2014

the yuri is becoming strong in this one

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Yep, Ran is totally gay

I feel like we're approaching actual yuri now

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Only one stretching!? Gotta be kidding me, who the hell does he think his audience is? Yuri fans or something?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is just subtext they said.... It's not actually yuri they said

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It'd be such a hilarious troll if she fell for a guy in the next chapter.

With the exception that none of us would be laughing... At this point I rather an open, tragic or even cancelled ending over het

joined Apr 6, 2013

With the exception that none of us would be laughing...

I would. I laugh at things that cause me pain.

I would laugh too. I laugh at other peoples pain.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

i would get orgasm .

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

i would get orgasm .

I would

PineapplesForSale
Annie%20is%20bae2
joined May 25, 2013

Ran is such a closeted lesbian. I'd seriously be bummed out if she turns out straight in the next chapter though, like no, where did the gay senpai cherry popper go? :-(

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Ran is such a closeted lesbian. I'd seriously be bummed out if she turns out straight in the next chapter though, like no, where did the gay senpai cherry popper go? :-(

"Who knows?, HeHeHe"

last edited at Oct 16, 2014 12:50AM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

...!!!!.....!!!!

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I get the feeling that Ran might be a closeted lesbian who's in love with Keiko.

I could not agree more. Now this is a bit of a stretch, but I also argue that Ran's attraction goes back to high school. For example, when she first meets Keiko-senpai, she is not afraid of her. If anything, she became very friendly with senpai and possibly developed a crush on Keiko way back then. Now this is my interpretation, and I would not be surprised if something to this effect is mentioned in dialogue between Ran and Keiko in later chapters.

On the other hand, Keiko herself is probably straight or unaware of her bisexuality, giving off a much more friend-like vibe - her touching Ran's hair and groping her generally comes off as innocent interest and admiration (that sounds so positive) rather than lesbian attraction.

Hmmmmmm, could be :-) But like many women, Keiko could just be going through the motion because society tells women that they are suppose to date and marry men. And yes her curiosity with Ran's body does sound like mild curiosity and admiration, but I think we'll start seeing more panels where Keiko's curiosity and admiration is less innocent and more focused, intimate.

I'd have to praise Shou for being able to handle the whole thing fairly delicately and realistically

IMHO Shou-san is one of the most amazing mangakas out there. While I adore Prism to this day, Stretch might be even better than Prism. Also, Stretch reminds me of a visual journal of two people's life. That said, I would find it very funny if we later find out that he based Stretch on the lives of real people he either knows or has come into contact with.

I doubt that she'll get together with Keiko unless she confesses or otherwise makes her feelings obvious. I may be completely wrong, or maybe it just won't happen. But man, do I wish that would it would. Rooting for them all the way, even if they're only just friends without romantic feelings for each other!

staying positive and firmly in the "they get together" camp :-)

last edited at Oct 16, 2014 1:26AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

The yuri subtext is killing me. Even if these two don't get together though, I would be happy if Ran at least came out. If Ran turns out to be straight and all these little hints are for nothing I will probably rage quit this manga haaa

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

It's like he's testing the limits of how gay can a manga be without explicitly telling about it.

Well, at least it's not on Nanoha's level yet - sleeping in one bed and raising a kid together, and still no canon relationship confirmation...

So there's still much trolling ahead.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Now not only is he trolling us with the yuri, he's trolling us with one goddam stretch.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

Everytime I see that Stretch gets updated, I feel so happy and excited expecting something cool to happen, but then SIGH nothing.

Still the characters always draw me in so no complaints here!

joined Jan 8, 2014

Oooo...yuri developments are strong, as we all scream no-no-no too Ran being dragged to the reunion...unless she runs into Keiko there I worry what will happen next but im optimistic ^_^ anyway, thanks for the scantalations excited for next chapter :)

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

I hope for Ran to turn all them men down

joined Nov 30, 2011

I get the feeling that Ran might be a closeted lesbian who's in love with Keiko.

I could not agree more. Now this is a bit of a stretch, but I also argue that Ran's attraction goes back to high school. For example, when she first meets Keiko-senpai, she is not afraid of her. If anything, she became very friendly with senpai and possibly developed a crush on Keiko way back then. Now this is my interpretation, and I would not be surprised if something to this effect is mentioned in dialogue between Ran and Keiko in later chapters.

I honestly thought she got jealous when Keiko mentioned her boyfriend and staying fit and decided to be that type of person. (It seemed like a pretty blatantly jealous moment for Ran imho.) I had figured it was already there between the two but they just don't realize that it's even there. For a long time I had been assuming that Ran just doesn't realize she is attracted to women and this chapter baaaasically confirms that (though I'm not saying 100% because nothing has exactly been 100% throughout this entire manga lol).

On the other hand, Keiko herself is probably straight or unaware of her bisexuality, giving off a much more friend-like vibe - her touching Ran's hair and groping her generally comes off as innocent interest and admiration (that sounds so positive) rather than lesbian attraction.

Hmmmmmm, could be :-) But like many women, Keiko could just be going through the motion because society tells women that they are suppose to date and marry men. And yes her curiosity with Ran's body does sound like mild curiosity and admiration, but I think we'll start seeing more panels where Keiko's curiosity and admiration is less innocent and more focused, intimate.

I definitely agree with you about Keiko being more intimate with Ran. Always thought she was being intimate from the get-go.

I'd have to praise Shou for being able to handle the whole thing fairly delicately and realistically

IMHO Shou-san is one of the most amazing mangakas out there. While I adore Prism to this day, Stretch might be even better than Prism. Also, Stretch reminds me of a visual journal of two people's life. That said, I would find it very funny if we later find out that he based Stretch on the lives of real people he either knows or has come into contact with.

Heck yeah it's his best though Prism is just friggen awesome nonetheless lol.

I doubt that she'll get together with Keiko unless she confesses or otherwise makes her feelings obvious. I may be completely wrong, or maybe it just won't happen. But man, do I wish that would it would. Rooting for them all the way, even if they're only just friends without romantic feelings for each other!

staying positive and firmly in the "they get together" camp :-)

Ya damned straight!

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I think the significance of Ran staying with Keiko over New Year and going with her for Hatsumoude is not minor. It's one of the few mostly serious chapters, the air between them is more "dating" than "roommates". Earlier chapters had lots of teasing but not very serious... Keiko overhearing Ran's conversation does make me wonder whether Shou plans for Keiko to take the lead, actually. The way she's talking to her mother it sounds very much like "I'm spending the New Year with my lover" and I doubt Keiko can be entirely oblivious to the situation.

Ran has been dropping so many hints it's not funny. The things she says to Keiko are obvious enough, and I agree with ciega that she's probably been in love with Keiko since high school, but saying she doesn't want to be popular among guys (in particular) really begs the question (so you want to be popular with girls, then?). She's closeted, sure, but she's got the door half open.

Really, I feel like it can only go so many ways from here. Keiko can decide to lead, Ran can spill her guts, or it can fall apart. The question is more of what particular event is going to trigger the change to a new state. The old standby of "misunderstandings" and jealousy could drag this on while still pointing to the end, of course, but I don't know whether that would work or be likely considering the style of this manga.

Seriously, the only logical way this can proceed is with Ran being outed to Keiko. At that point, the only possible direction is toward or away from romance.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

so these girls cant seem to get the idea in their head that ran is gay as fuck, also more yuri-ish!

To reply you must either login or sign up.