Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

This latest chapter of Uta saving Kaoru's soul reminds me of Rita Coolidge's "We're All Alone".

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Uta: (thinking) Huh, she sure does go along with whatever's easiest, and she's basically screaming for help about that. I should be careful not to give her an out where she just falls back into old patterns.

Uta: (speaking) I think you'll love my brother and be happy living here with him forever!

Maybe I'm just being dense today, but I really don't know what in the hell is going on in that scene.

After the "it's no big deal" part, and through the whole time Kaoru is actually unburdening herself, Uta seems to be leading up to some kind of "go for it--be honest with Reiichi so you can move on with your life" advice crescendo. Then:

"Try to do what you can for now." What does that even mean?

If this were an entirely different kind of series, I'd almost think Uta was saying, "What a relief it wasn't my fault you were suffering--now fuck off with my cheating brother and leave me alone."

That's a bit too much to hope for, though, I'm almost positive.

Can we be done with this story yet?

Also I agree with this person. What does "do what you can for now" even mean? Someone answered with the depression angle, but I don't know if it explains it enough. Like it's way too vague of advice. Do they mean like well he's gone right now, so just breathe, and then when you see him let him know what you want to say?

last edited at May 7, 2020 6:26PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also I agree with this person. What does "do what you can for now" even mean? Someone answered with the depression angle, but I don't know if it explains it enough. Like it's way too vague of advice. Do they mean like well he's gone right now, so just breathe, and then when you see him let him know what you want to say?

I must admit that it was hard to not read that in the tone of voice my mother would use with her chatterbox friend who would call and go on and on about her troubles, and Mom just wanted to get her off the phone so she could finish making dinner.

joined Feb 14, 2019

... I’m almost always talking about how stories are made while others are talking about hypothetical human beings.)

That explains so much (did anyone else have a vision of Terry Pratchett's Discworld Auditors trying to define what makes a good story).

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

pathetic coward hooman like me

No, you're not pathetic at all. It's hard to keep those romantic feelings bottled up. And you're young. First loves aren't automatically the greatest love you'd get.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Kaoru needs to get laid and she should eat dopamine-inducing foods like salmon or dark chocolate.

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

Kaoru needs to get laid and she should eat dopamine-inducing foods like salmon or dark chocolate.

this is so funny to me
just eat some salmon kaoru you'll be ok

C0142_9_0
joined Apr 21, 2013

i seriously dk where this story is going to lead us to........but i guess this story is all up to Reiichi that decide their fate lol
bad end
good end
or open ending #!@#!@!

joined Feb 23, 2016

Shit is going down

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

this is so funny to me
just eat some salmon kaoru you'll be ok

Just a thought: it's gonna be kinky when they're having sex while eating chocolate. Super-duper high dopamine.

joined Jan 17, 2020

Ok, just read the latest chapter...I don't think Kaoru is into Uta...even now she is still completely convinced she loves Reiichi. She just uses Uta to quench her loneliness in the relationship. Sad. Uta needs to walk away and go no contact, seriously.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ok, just read the latest chapter...I don't think Kaoru is into Uta...even now she is still completely convinced she loves Reiichi. She just uses Uta to quench her loneliness in the relationship. Sad. Uta needs to walk away and go no contact, seriously.

Funny you said that after Ch.33 and Kaoru asking seriously Reiichi if he love her.

joined Jan 17, 2020

Funny you said that after Ch.33 and Kaoru asking seriously Reiichi if he love her.

Link? :D I'm more than ready to be proven wrong. I was referring to ch 32!

last edited at May 21, 2020 8:02AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Link? :D I'm more than ready to be proven wrong. I was referring to ch 32!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/897851/1 It's the PirahnaPlant version, ChaosTeam will probably be uploaded later.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't see anything in the new chapter that suggests Kaoru likes Uta this way. On the other hand, Reiichi admits Kaoru is wrong by thinking he was never in love with her I think maybe his situation is complicated too, but it seems that he does care.

I kinda ship them at this point
Considering the development we had do far, I think Kaoru and Reiichi would make the best possible outcome. But I feel like it won't end up like that either.

last edited at May 21, 2020 9:44AM

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

It's been a while here. I only read the chapter and didn't bother to comment nor read the comments even. hahaha. Anyway. I haven't read the last chapter yet. I will wait for dynasty. Nothing seems out of place in the story yet. I think the storyboard seems pretty solid. Personally, I appreciate good writing. One of the drop hint that wasn't delve into was Risako comparing Uta with her brother. I dont know the chapter but the scenario was Uta meeting Risako when Kaoru was in the hospital. I guess this had to be the connection on Reiichi and Risako's relationship vis a vis Reiichi and Kaoru. For me, Risako and Kaoru has similarities. Aside from the physical appearance both are incapable of loving. romantically. Kaoru clings to the idea of loving Reiichi as a partner. It gives her a sense of completeness. I agree as well she has a chronic depression. And that depression deepened when Uta was avoiding her and slept in Kuro's house.

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

I kinda ship them at this point

traitor

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Of the many questions posed early on in this series and as yet unanswered, one that now begins to loom larger is, "So, Kaoru, what exactly is it that you see in Reiichi, anyway?"

"That time my mom died he was there for me. Once," is not exactly the firmest foundation going forward.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Hey now, she'd been into her childhood friend well before that!

Which is probably part of the problem: he does care for her, but as his childhood friend or like a (normal) sister. It's a pity marriage without romantic spark.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Which is probably part of the problem: he does care for her, but as his childhood friend or like a (normal) sister. It's a pity marriage without romantic spark.

The issue is not the longevity of Kaoru's feelings, the issue is: what does Reiichi have going for him that makes him so great to this particular person?

Now, I know that love doesn't work by a cost/benefit equation; you fall in love with who you fall in love with.

But this is a story with the theme of romantic attraction at the center of it (whether you want to characterize its genre as "romance" or not).

And the very reasonable question of why exactly Kaoru feels so strongly about Reiichi (who is at best--which means putting the whole issue of possible infidelity completely aside--a pretty drab, ordinary, low-charisma guy who pays little attention to Kaoru's emotional state), has been explicitly asked within the text itself, but has yet to be answered.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch04#12

last edited at May 22, 2020 1:18PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

It's not like Kaoru is great herself either. In her own words, she's a coward, indecisive and hides her feelings. Like attracts like, it's not rocket science

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's not like Kaoru is great herself either. In her own words, she's a coward, indecisive and hides her feelings. Like attracts like, it's not rocket science

Quite right. The story has not been presenting itself as being primarily about “Uta grows up and leaves these two hopeless assholes behind”, though.

Pending further developments, purely in terms of hoping for a livelier story, I’m on Team Kaoru Snaps Gay.

joined Feb 14, 2019

The issue is not the longevity of Kaoru's feelings, the issue is: what does Reiichi have going for him that makes him so great to this particular person?

Now, I know that love doesn't work by a cost/benefit equation; you fall in love with who you fall in love with.

But this is a story with the theme of romantic attraction at the center of it (whether you want to characterize its genre as "romance" or not).

And the very reasonable question of why exactly Kaoru feels so strongly about Reiichi (who is at best--which means putting the whole issue of possible infidelity completely aside--a pretty drab, ordinary, low-charisma guy who pays little attention to Kaoru's emotional state), has been explicitly asked within the text itself, but has yet to be answered.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch04#12

First and foremost it is clear that the Reiichi she originally fell in love with was a semi-fictional composite (which is the problem) - we saw in the flashbacks: Her feelings of hero-worship for the childhood onii-chan who was kind and comforted her when she was lonely. The idealised fantasy of her teenage crush. Then her white knight when he swept in and "saved" her from her grief-fueled depression after her mother's death (apparently returning her feelings, just like in her fantasies), and finally her socially acceptable husband setting her up as a respectable married-lady. He represents security and stability (and family which is very important to Kaoru). She has finally decided to try and sort the fact from the fiction to see what she can salvage though it doesn't look like he is going to be cooperative, since he seems to have decided she is "losing it"

He isn't entirely unlovable - he is cheerful, easygoing and kind. Most people would find that a pretty good package. Unfortunately he is is also massively lazy on the emotional level, not only does he not go looking for trouble he actively avoids it. When Kaoru is silent he takes that as a sign things are good, when it actually means the opposite. He would actually be a good match for someone like Risako, who would keep him on a short leash, and be very clear about telling him what she needs. He'd probably thrive on it.

joined Feb 14, 2019

The result may be the same, but the motives are different. Kaoru wants to talk but is afraid, Reiichi just wants to chill without drama.

It seems likely that Reiichi assumed because Kaoru was quiet and devoted that meant she was low-maintenance, while Kaoru assumed Reiichi's laid back kindness meant he was sensitive and caring... they were both mistaken.

joined Feb 14, 2019

So in ch33 it seemed like Kaoru directly compared Uta's and Reiichi's feelings for her ".. so how long have you?" (loved me). Convenient segue, or sign that she starting to measure Rei against Uta (which seems like it wouldn't end well for him)?

To reply you must either login or sign up.