Forum › Teiji ni Agaretara discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Um... didn't she ask if they could drop the honorifics and then keep using the honorifics the rest of the chapter? WTF?

When she says "drop the honorifics" she's making a request to shift to a less formal mode of speech.

They were previously both referring to each other as "-san" which is the appropriate way to show respect to someone who is older or a work colleague. Kaori asked Kayoko to drop the formalities when talking to her, because Kayoko is older and Kaori wants to be spoiled a bit. So Kayoko switches from "-san" to "-chan", because that's an expression of closeness to someone younger. It is still considered polite to refer to someone older than you with a respectful honorific, so she stays with "-san"

Dropping the honorifics entirely is something you wouldn't really expect until they're like, family levels of close

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Um... didn't she ask if they could drop the honorifics and then keep using the honorifics the rest of the chapter? WTF?

When she says "drop the honorifics" she's making a request to shift to a less formal mode of speech.

They were previously both referring to each other as "-san" which is the appropriate way to show respect to someone who is older or a work colleague. Kaori asked Kayoko to drop the formalities when talking to her, because Kayoko is older and Kaori wants to be spoiled a bit. So Kayoko switches from "-san" to "-chan", because that's an expression of closeness to someone younger. It is still considered polite to refer to someone older than you with a respectful honorific, so she stays with "-san"

Dropping the honorifics entirely is something you wouldn't really expect until they're like, family levels of close

I think (judging from Kdramas) that the equivalent phrase in Korean is “Let’s lower our speech,” meaning not “drop honorifics entirely” but “drop down one level of formality.” Which to US people would still sound rather formal.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Wholesome lesbians is right!! Their relationship is wholesome and healthy I love it. They’re adorable

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I think (judging from Kdramas) that the equivalent phrase in Korean is “Let’s lower our speech,” meaning not “drop honorifics entirely” but “drop down one level of formality.” Which to US people would still sound rather formal.

From my understanding there's essentially two common ways to express this in Japanese: one is basically saying "let's stop using keigo", aka formal speech, which might or might not also imply using less formal honorifics.
The other one is "yobisute is fine", as in "you don't have to use honorifics". But while this literally means "no honorifics" it's often to be taken as "we don't need to use 'formal' honorifics" (so a -san to -chan would still be fine); maybe a bit comparable to phrases such as "make yourself at home" - it might be meant literally in some cases, but often it's also just an invitation for more informality.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

From my understanding there's essentially two common ways to express this in Japanese: one is basically saying "let's stop using keigo", aka formal speech, which might or might not also imply using less formal honorifics.
The other one is "yobisute is fine", as in "you don't have to use honorifics". But while this literally means "no honorifics" it's often to be taken as "we don't need to use 'formal' honorifics" (so a -san to -chan would still be fine); maybe a bit comparable to phrases such as "make yourself at home" - it might be meant literally in some cases, but often it's also just an invitation for more informality.

Thanks, that's nice to know.

In Korean the phrase is often translated as, "Let's speak comfortably." (And in dramas the almost inevitable answer is, "Oh, should we?" in a friendly manner.)

last edited at May 7, 2020 2:06PM

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Lilliwyt posted:

Did they notice when she said them or soemthing? Usually people say him/her xD looking foreard forbthe next ch

something something japan and gender neutral pronoun

Exactly, there was no gender involved when she answered, so I just used them.

Thanks, I think that's exactly it!

I'm so glad you liked the new sfx xDDD

last edited at May 7, 2020 3:04PM

Img_os7f7k
joined Oct 6, 2018

We stan the healthyness

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

The text that says “Wholesome Lesbians” is like if “Action Shounen” was written in a random panel of Dragon Ball

rollinsalmon
E3fa32471590d8715c6861ee097a40b8--yoshitaka-amano-japanese-art
joined Oct 24, 2019

Now we're at the inevitable "friends' reunion to catch with each other's life" and of course there's the lesbian in the closet who isn't married nor have kids yet. I'm glad to see Kaori had boyfriends but never felt this kind of love before she met Kayoko. It really warms my heart to see how much she treasures her. I wonder if she's going to come out ? Usually we don't see the girl revealing her relationship with the other so soon in a yuri manga so it would be kind of awesome.

Also, I've never grinned so much while reading a manga..
At this point they can just stare at each other awkwardly and I'd be like "couple goals".
I'm just so happy to read something so happy during this crisis..

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

We’re all fucking gay!!1

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Also, I've never grinned so much while reading a manga..

this! also love you nickname)))

Yuriburrito
joined Apr 8, 2019

Just two wholesome lesbians being wholesome and lesbian.

Screenshot_20200409-032304_2
joined Apr 9, 2020

This series deserves a Wholesome tag. If we have a Lizard tag we should have a Wholesome tag.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

"Wholesome lesbians"
Should be the name of this series

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Member409 posted:

This series deserves a Wholesome tag. If we have a Lizard tag we should have a Wholesome tag.

I AGREE

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Okay

Came onto the comments to mention how great this sound effect is, already saw a bunch of comments doing the same thing, perfect

joined Aug 14, 2017

Okay

Personally disagree with inserting stuff like that into the panels. I'd rather have the author's original work maintained to the greatest extent possible.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I must admit that felt bit odd, because I've been under the impression that Mizuki is a bisexual, who just happened to find a wonderful girlfriend.

last edited at May 8, 2020 6:40AM

joined Dec 5, 2019

what a nice chapter, I was ready for Mizuki to just come out to her friends since this series has a tendency to building up drama prone situations and then completely smashing them the very next instant. Still very glad as how the meeting is going
The fact that this relationship she is in is apparently the first time she is actually attracted and actually participating in the relationship instead of just going along with it because it's "normal"(not that other manga's kind of normal, just "normal" normal) adds a new bit of info into the whole thing, and maybe Kaoru is figuring out just how deep are her feelings

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I don't know if this is my favorite of the series I'm actively reading right now, but I think it's the one that leaves me with the most pleasant feelings. Very pretty, good pacing, generally positive. Just good vibes throughout the experience (even coming into the forum thread ;)).

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA wholesome lesbian noises

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Okay

Personally disagree with inserting stuff like that into the panels. I'd rather have the author's original work maintained to the greatest extent possible.

I'm actually really curious what if anything was there in the original japanese.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Okay

I'm actually really curious what if anything was there in the original japanese.

"Degenerate sluts". So basically the same thing; it's all fine.

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Heavensrun posted:

Okay

It was actually a sfx that did not have a translation (we couldn't find it on sites and O-chan, who is much more exptert than I am had lots of difficulties as well.
So we were trying to figure out how to get the feeling, and we just said "that's the sound effect for wholesome lesbians" as a joke. Then since we couldn't find an answer, we went for that.

Doctoraaaaaa
joined Apr 14, 2015

I'm loving this. Such a fell good manga. I was surprised by how fast they went trough the "it's this really love?" fase and how well they seem together after.
I'm ready for moar.

To reply you must either login or sign up.