Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

What the hell, how can Shima be so indifferent. I wanna see her Pov soon

joined Oct 5, 2016

It's tough too cuz Adachi is just so in her own head in this chapter that like while she definitely notices that Shimamura is acting weird and different, she can't really put anything together or figure out why exactly. Like I think we can all agree that Shima wasn't putting her face in that random fan because she didn't care about naked Adachi! But Adachi had no clue.

At any rate, good job Adachi on reconfirming what you said before, instead of just wussing out and settling for a return to the status quo.

joined Oct 9, 2019

I just wanna get inside Shima's head.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Oh, I think Shimamura was definitely looking out to make sure she didn't run into Adachi's mother again, which is why she also faltered and repeated about the saunas, like she had about the gym in general etc. There's no question Adachikaasan would remember her, and it would be "what a pain" for Shimamura to have to deal with.

I think she was also looking out for her own mother a little too, with what was clearly good cause. (Also on that note, I'm sorry I didn't make that event with Shima's mom sneaking up in the pool clearer for everyone, somehow I understood the intent with how it was worded and didn't catch it should probably be clarified better.)

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

It's funny how there inevitably end up being a lot of speculation and impressions after each chapter since they're translated one by one, whereas the author writes them to be consumed on a volume-by-volume basis. For all we know, next chapter will be from Shimamura's point of view and we'll get all the answers we want, and the author never intended for readers to agonize about them through forced stopping points.

Though this is a pretty interesting way of following the series in its own right and it sure beats having it done in chunks and to wait a long time for the next batch.

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

This was an amazing chapter! I really liked how much happened in a single day and I had to laugh out loud at the fan and at the "Glance." part lol. It was a rollercoaster of emotions again. Keep fighting, Adachi! (and Shimamura too, if that makes sense lol)
Seriously, not a single chapter of this LN has been boring so far, it's always either beautifully written, has some funny jokes, some interesting characterization or just some great (heartwarming or kinda dramatic) dialogue! Thanks to the author and the translator for letting this great piece of art exist here!

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

It's funny how there inevitably end up being a lot of speculation and impressions after each chapter since they're translated one by one, whereas the author writes them to be consumed on a volume-by-volume basis. For all we know, next chapter will be from Shimamura's point of view and we'll get all the answers we want, and the author never intended for readers to agonize about them through forced stopping points.

Though this is a pretty interesting way of following the series in its own right and it sure beats having it done in chunks and to wait a long time for the next batch.

On this youtubers channel, they were talking about something similar in regards to t.v show binge culture and how getting an entire season at once causes it to be talked about slightly less compared to a weekly release schedule.

joined Apr 23, 2015

Oh, I think Shimamura was definitely looking out to make sure she didn't run into Adachi's mother again, which is why she also faltered and repeated about the saunas, like she had about the gym in general etc. There's no question Adachikaasan would remember her, and it would be "what a pain" for Shimamura to have to deal with.

I think she was also looking out for her own mother a little too, with what was clearly good cause. (Also on that note, I'm sorry I didn't make that event with Shima's mom sneaking up in the pool clearer for everyone, somehow I understood the intent with how it was worded and didn't catch it should probably be clarified better.)

I knew it was her mother. I guess I can see why some might not have realized it was. It's been a while since the chapter where she did somethig similar. Shima even had a similar line. Telling her to act her age, if im remembering right.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I knew it was her mother. I guess I can see why some might not have realized it was. It's been a while since the chapter where she did somethig similar. Shima even had a similar line. Telling her to act her age, if im remembering right.

I figured it out, but it did feel like I'd missed a paragraph somewhere. I had to reread it a it to make sure I hadn't missed something.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I honestly didn't notice the "groaning" scene until someone pointed it out here. The scenes like that are nice relief pointes between her long, anxiety-laden monologues. So thanks to whomever.

And thank you @sneikkimies!

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Oh boy, this was quick. Time to read even though it's the middle of the night here.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Now we just need to have Adachi saying those words to Shimamura. I don't know if Nagafuji is a genuine aihead or did she have realise Adachi's feelings for Shima. Still, the fact that we just ended Vol.5 on 8 and they still don't go out together make me realise at which point it's slowburn.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 8:54PM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Hm, I don't usually empathize with the characters much while reading fiction since I prefer keeping my own thoughts and feelings separate to avoid coloring my expectations of them, but this was a case where I could really understand Adachi, more so than usual. Although she herself reflected earlier on about how empty her life and person are without Shimamura, so I'm not sure how healthy it can be to just accept she's not interested in ever opening up to other people.

If that girl with the glasses who seemed to know Adachi is someone who already appeared, I can only think of that middle school classmate who was with her on library duty.

joined Jan 25, 2017

LET clap ADACHI clap KISS clap HER clap CRUSH clap

Edit: Also, I was looking through that imgur album of all the novels' illustrations, and looking at next volume's (minor spoilers?): There's a lot of Shimamura in there. I wonder if next volume will be as heavy on her perspective as this one was on Adachi's? Would make a lot of sense, I'm pretty sure we basically know what Adachi's headspace is gonna be like from now until she confesses.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 10:03PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Sheesh, and here I was eagerly waiting for a big reveal Shinamura chapter so we can finally find out what she's been going through, and instead we get nothing. Like yeah OK so we get Adachi yelling about loving Shinamura, but Adachi's finally come to terms with having a crush on Shinamura like, 8 times now! I even complained about that LAST time we had an ending like that, lol.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Sheesh, and here I was eagerly waiting for a big reveal Shinamura chapter so we can finally find out what she's been going through, and instead we get nothing. Like yeah OK so we get Adachi yelling about loving Shinamura, but Adachi's finally come to terms with having a crush on Shinamura like, 8 times now! I even complained about that LAST time we had an ending like that, lol.

Saying it out loud's a pretty important step tho, tbf. And I'm pretty sure she's set on actually confessing now.

Letys%20try%20this%20again
joined Mar 26, 2017

Oh boy, this was quick. Time to read even though it's the middle of the night here.

Same here. I will sacrifice every hour of sleep just to read a new chapter.

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

Amazing, a chapter sooner than I could have expected! Hurray!

In any case. This volume sure was a rollercoaster. Had me on the edge of my seat (figuratively, I'm reading on my bed) most of the time after things started getting real, if not before considering all the tension surrounding the obvious way chapter 1 would end. I would say volume 3 is still my favorite, for all the buildup and payoff, but this one is a solid second I'd say. Pacing of the series may be slow as heck, but I'll be damned if I don't treasure every moment of it.
Also, long arc. I like that. Thank the yuri goddess we don't have to wait for volume 6 as long as people had to back when 5 was freshly released. In another timeline I'd complain about the lack of Shimamura POV, but considering the arc has yet to conclude, it's quite alright. Interested in what she wanted to tell Adachi, though.

Another thing I noted, I'm liking how the story sticks to its characters. In other works, I could see Adachi magically realizing that others aren't so bad, after all, that kinda stuff. She stays very true to herself instead, the characters so far haven't been distorted to serve the end goal, which I appreciate; small thing, but hey. It's one of the things I like about this series; one of the things making it my favorite ongoing series.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 11:33PM

joined Jan 31, 2017

(ɔ˘ ³(ˆ◡ˆc) Can we just talk about the little blue alien and lil Shinamura making more progress and there’s so much younger.
Dat for me made it worth staying up (Hopefully we get to see Shinamura point of you soon)

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 11:23PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Something kinda funny, she's riding home on her bike, shouting "I love Shimamura!" at the top of her lungs. If you happen to forget, keep in mind Shimamura is a fairly cheap clothing store chain in Japan. This cathartic self-confession probably sounds, to the annoyed people described to be on the street, like someone screaming "I LOVE THE GAP!"

Like, they probably think she's some kind of marketing campaign? And I think that's hilarious.

(Edit: Non-serious conspiracy theory: This novel series is actually a guerrilla marketing scheme by Shimamura stores to gain inroads with the gay teen demographic)

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 11:49PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

considering one of the many, many, reasons that rant happened was that she has been bottling all her thoughts and emotions I'd say her screaming at top of her lungs her feelings is a good thing (as potentially dangerous it could be, better not make this into an isekai by not looking at the road)
Adachi's realization that forcung herself to be something she isn't by trying to get along with other people isn't for her was relatable, but also makes me wonder how she'll handle herself in the future in regards to not make Shimamira her sole "reason to be" to say it one way.
hmm not sure if I express that correctly, not even sure what exactly I tried to say.

Anyway, since volume 5 and 6 are apparently part 1 and 2 of a summer arc I really hope the next volume gives us more of Shimamura's POV, but I feel like at best it will be half and half, and that just makes me look forward to that volume (8 was it?) that is apparently almost only her's.

Once again thanks a lot for all the work being put into bringing AdaShima here! l

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

What I like Adachi’s character the most is that she’s relatable in some sense. She’s weird, she’s embarrassing herself, she’s introvert but this kind of traits really really makes her so real. The part where she said, she and Shimamura were different that’s why she was charmed by her is kind of special. Her realization is what hit the most. She was crushing on her from the start but it’s the first time she admitted she loves her. It’s dramatic and sort of funny, cycling while shouting her love for a girl (well, probably different to those people hearing her shouting Shimamura lol). Indeed, this chapter is Adachi’s Revival.

Lol at Yachi and Shou... Yachi’s more smooth, as so as Shou...

Anyway, since volume 5 and 6 are apparently part 1 and 2 of a summer arc I really hope the next volume gives us more of Shimamura's POV, but I feel like at best it will be half and half, and that just makes me look forward to that volume (8 was it?) that is apparently almost only her's.

Yes. It was volume 8. Well, I do think, volume 6 is interesting too. There’s plenty of Shimamura’s pov as well.

last edited at Feb 27, 2020 3:06AM

joined Apr 23, 2015

stahp sounding like me in your head Adachi. Thank you.
I know what it's like to try an leave your misanthropic-like ways and constantly wonder why the hell you are bothering. Doing that a lot lately. Sorry. Really sleepy. It's not that these last chapters have kept me up. It's more that my work schedule is just that jacked up.

Love this story. I don't know that I've ever read such a relatable introverted character . . . I'll try to be more coherent tomorrow. woo!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm the only one to skip the bonus story at the end of chapters ? Not that I hate the characters but I can't bring myself to read those stories.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

LET clap ADACHI clap KISS clap HER clap CRUSH clap

Hahahahaha yes please. After all her sufferings in this volume, our girl needs some reward. Please give her a kiss Shimamura-san!

last edited at Feb 27, 2020 6:12AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.