Forum › Anime season

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I did watch Budoukan but unfortunaly the manga is not translated so it's kinda hard to compare. Maybe the relations between the idols are not focus that much in the manga and it's only Erypio/Maina which in itself had take 7 episodes to have something a bit concrete.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Aye, Eripiyo's antics could be interpreted as just extreme otaku level idol admiration at first... though I kinda doubt they are trying to hide how she really feels, considering a lot of this anime revolves around fans secretly being in love with their favorite idol and the "professional fan" thing just being a facade. And then there were the train scene and some others where Eri was losing her mind, because she was frazzled about the fact that she wants to get closer to Maina outside the idol stuff.

Maina on the other hand didn't reveal much about herself in the early episodes, but in the last 3 or so she's been pretty openly gay in her head and actions. Ya know, this is actually the second time we saw she wants to tell Eri her feelings, because in the reply card that she wrote (but never gave Eri) she also mentioned "I love you".

The only hurdle here is their communication disorder, made worse by their position as idol and fan.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I did watch Budoukan but unfortunaly the manga is not translated so it's kinda hard to compare. Maybe the relations between the idols are not focus that much in the manga and it's only Erypio/Maina which in itself had take 7 episodes to have something a bit concrete.

You can read the first couple chapters that correlate up until the most recent episode at the official website. The last link, I think from here.

I've read a bit of the manga on a foreign translation, but I agree that they've definitely tuned in on the yuri focused aspects in the girls' interactions with each other. Also it helps that the voice actresses all seem to have script directions that help encourage this tone, haha.

I got the image working

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 1:15PM by

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

(https://i.imgur.com/VAmP0bM.jpg)

I got the image working

Now, I know I said I will only try searching if I can watch MagiReco online after the season is complete, so I'll probably find out on my own eventually anyway, but if you'd be kind enough to tell me which girl said that line and which girl is she reffering to as the one she fell in love with?

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 1:18PM

I got the image working

Now, I know I said I will only try searching if I can watch MagiReco online after the season is complete, so I'll probably find out on my own eventually anyway, but if you'd be kind enough to tell me which girl said that line and which girl is she reffering to as the one she fell in love with?

It was a cameo to a game character who probably won't appear in the anime, her name is Rika Ayano and she fell in love with her best friend and wished for her to love her. However, she soon regretted it and broke up with her due to feeling guilty about manipulating her with a wish.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I got the image working

It was a cameo to a game character who probably won't appear in the anime, her name is Rika Ayano and she fell in love with her best friend and wished for her to love her. However, she soon regretted it and broke up with her due to feeling guilty about manipulating her with a wish.

Ahhh... Thank you.

A bit tangential, but:
Reminds me of one of the very few MagiReco doujins I've read, and easily my favourite among them... Also, I can't believe that the story of that doujin itself is incredibly serious, but the title itself is a pun! Here

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It's interesting how Rika and Ren have had the most memorable cameos, despite neither of them technically being there

Reminds me of one of the very few MagiReco doujins I've read, and easily my favourite among them... Also, I can't believe that the story of that doujin itself is incredibly serious, but the title itself is a pun! Here

RikaRen is one of the most canon ships in Magia Record, they even got a duo character thing at Christmas

joined Oct 22, 2018

RikaRen is one of the most canon ships in Magia Record, they even got a duo character thing at Christmas (https://images.puella-magi.net/2/22/Card_35015_c.png?20191216131744)

I just did a very audible hhnnnnngg that any loving fan makes at this image, right as my dad was passing by my room, audibly going tsk tsk for a second or so...

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

To be frank, I love the manga, never had a problem with it but then they made the culture festival arc, it's... odd.

Well I have some issues with general setting, like it really is pretty contrived and doesn't make sense. I also didn't like that from what I saw, they really are going very black and white with characters designs. Like except for Plasma (or however that teacher was called) all heroes are obviously good guys and all villains look like villains, including the birth mutations. Some powers are just totally OP/ridiculous and I really didn't like where the story was going from spoilers of future development I heard. Also speaking of powers, some characters were clearly created as villains first and then author tried to make their backstory fit, because at least 2 powers wouldn't make sense if they weren't possessed by the villains that possess them. Right, and female characters are very underdeveloped/used (I know it's aimed at boys but still).

but then they decided to give Deku the possibilities of multiple quirks and he hasn't mastered the first one yet and that, in one word felt WRONG like it goes against his character, I can't get used to it and idk if I will ever feel good with it.

That's my biggest beef with the series. It's very ironic considering originally Deku was supposed to stay quirkless and be a sorta batman in universe, but editor said it won't fly and so author changed it to what we got now. Deku batman could be really cool, but I was fine with All For One idea and it make for interesting story with how Deku was adapting to it, especially with his personality of brains rather than brawn. But then suddenly he gets access to all other quirks AFO had and that I call bs. We went from quirkless protagonist to OP protagonist with like 7 quirks. That's like exact opposite of what series was supposed to be about. But I guess it's not shounen battle series, if MC doesn't unlock new powers/forms as the series progress.

Hylarn posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly the anime I've most enjoyed watching for some time. And definitely the best mobage adaptation (possibly the best game adaptation)

I'll admit I might be a bit biased, but I'm just way too used to anime having almost no animations and being mostly static characters flipping mouths with occasional fight breaks if anime has those, so I was just blown away by the amount of animation and really unique and engaging presentation of first episode. Sure in moments it might feel little too rushed and you need to focus a lot and figure out some things really quickly in order to follow some plot developments, but I'll take that kind anime over all the boring shows where you're shown everything from start to finish, filled with dialogue and episode ends up accomplishing very little and even dragging a bit.

Honestly playing and knowing the plot beforehand really makes me appreciate the amount of detail, care and information packed in ever episode, so that probably increases my score and enjoyment of the show. Not to say that I agree with all changes or like everything, but overall I think it's a really solid anime and great adaptation. And yes, games always had more leeway with adaptations, but even then it really is taking advantage of format and medium and elevates source material to another lvl. The fact they take a lot liberties with it and in fact changes heavily/fixes some plot/story elements from the game, is a very unexpected and good thing. Since story is told using visual novel format, they could just copy paste it and make anime like that, but they didn't and instead decide to put more effort into it.

That being said, episode 8h was really underwhelming. A lot people complained about 7th but I thought it was fine and, while disappointed with lack of inclusion of some things I really liked in game, I could understand changes and was fine with them for the most part. This one, while having some good parts and was supposed to be slower one, setting up things, removes a lot of stuff from them game, but it didn't feel like they added anything that great instead. And of course the biggest thing is where the fuck is Madoka and Homura and why they didn't appear yet!? On the other hand I don't understand why Mami showed up and how it will be explained, because the way she does, doesn't really make sense assuming anime is following the game.

onyxpanda posted:

I've read a bit of the manga on a foreign translation, but I agree that they've definitely tuned in on the yuri focused aspects in the girls' interactions with each other. Also it helps that the voice actresses all seem to have script directions that help encourage this tone, haha.

I like their one-shots. Tender Night is one of my all time favorite ones. On the other hand I always forget she also wrote Manga no Tsukurikata, which is to put it lightly... not good. Of course I immediately looked for their other stuff and found Budoukan, but according to baka updates it's at best one-sided and wasn't being translated anyway. Once anime was announced, I was reminded of it and checked it again, but baka still only marked it as one-sided love and I didn't feel like putting so much effort into something that might not be even yuri. I found the raws, but didn't really properly check entire manga, cos it would take me too much time. I did take a look at it, to compare first few episodes to it, they pretty much adopt entire thing and add a lot stuff, because there's not enough material. So it's highly possible anime is gayer than manga. That being said, if enough people are interested I can translate it.

Hylarn posted:

It's interesting how Rika and Ren have had the most memorable cameos, despite neither of them technically being there

Yea. I believe Ren's was straight from the game. Game is pretty gay already and having canon lesbian is awesome, but I also liked that that's how anime decided to feature Rika, because it both means they aren't trying to censor her gayness as well as are acknowledging the yuri.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 3:53PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

So Budoukan really is one of those once in a blue moon cases. Nice.
In general I have no idea where this anime even came from. Who decided to make this (I know it was TBS)? An idol anime with a female protagonist fan with excessively beauitful art direction/animation based on a manga that's not really that far ahead and also doubles down on the yuri aspect on its own... It feels like it's doing everything an idol anime in this climate wouldn't do. It probably won't be a big financial success, but I'm glad it exists.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Kudos to Serenata for mentioning Show by Rock, give it a watch recently and it was fun and cute, Himeko is my favorite and I love and episode 6 absolutely killed me in the feels, that scene was so good~ (and then episode 7 killed me of laughter xD I am surprised how much I liked the delinquent kids)
I am bit ehhh on epidode 8 due Howan accepting the deal of if they lose she leaves, especially after what episode 6 was about, and also how Rararin ended the episode, but well it's still not over so I won't let it bother me.
Just hope there is still something like ep6 down the line

joined Oct 22, 2018

(https://i.imgur.com/5SrKOB0.jpg)

Why does it look so old-school-y

(https://i.imgur.com/5SrKOB0.jpg)

Why does it look so old-school-y

I think it's the Shaft style making it look like that

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

It's def a style choice

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-05/otherside-picnic-sci-fi-yuri-novels-get-tv-anime/.157164 Otherside Picnic is getting an anime adaptation, directed by the same one behind the OVA of Kase-san and Fragtime. You may also know the VA as one is Nadeshiko's VA from Yuru Camp and the other is Sayaka from Yagate (also Rin from New Game or Darkness from Konosuba).

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Otherside Picnic is getting an anime adaptation

Yay! I've quite enjoyed what I've read of it

I'd describe it more as surreal horror with some UST between the leads than anything, but I haven't gotten all that far

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lilliwyt posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-05/otherside-picnic-sci-fi-yuri-novels-get-tv-anime/.157164 Otherside Picnic is getting an anime adaptation, directed by the same one behind the OVA of Kase-san and Fragtime. You may also know the VA as one is Nadeshiko's VA from Yuru Camp and the other is Sayaka from Yagate (also Rin from New Game or Darkness from Konosuba).

Wow I remember reading one or two chapters of this in manga... I think the reason I Didn't read more was because the first chapter had like 88 pages and the second had 50 pages and I was thinking that it's too THICC for the single break I was hoping for so I left it for later.

Good thing I didn't continue because the translation was dropped shortly after and now it's even getting an anime!! that's amazing!!!! And with a director who knows what he's doing.

The seiyus are amazing too!

I thought this was announced a while ago?

Yeah it was, I found a PV for it here from December https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2D43MbqqMc&

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

I thought this was announced a while ago?

Yeah it was, I found a PV for it here from December https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2D43MbqqMc&

Nope! That PV and attached description don't make it clear if there's an actual anime in the works (and, yes, animated PVs do happen). This is the first time it's been made clear that there's a TV series upcoming

last edited at Mar 5, 2020 1:14PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Oh! I like both of those VA's! going to give it a watch for sure

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I had low expectations but this animation looks pretty damn cool https://youtu.be/LkpAeaSjHq8
And do I feel some rwby influence here hmmmm?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

OMG go watch Asteroids in Love today, it was awesome!! feels like I was watching 30 minutes with so many things going on and it didn't feel rushed, it also had a "I can't believe is not the last episode!" feeling to it.

Also anime with cute girls fishing https://youtu.be/PAvLwvItvts

Azur Lane is finally returning https://youtu.be/dpPpNJ4Dkpc

To reply you must either login or sign up.