Forum › I Don’t Need Promises discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I really want to appreciate this one, because it's overall very well done, but... I can't get over the fact how utterly avoidable this tragedy was. There was literally NO reason for Asha's mom to die. Not a single one. She was a freaking DRAGON. All she needed to do was to grab her child and fly somewhere else. Why is dying the more appropiate response over just fleeing to another mountain range? Claire would have survived either way because the hunting party was already going her way. Not that the dragon even needed to expose herself. She could have just gone to them in human form and tell them that she found a survivor who needs help. Hell... she could have just gotten her out of the mountains herself and let her walk the remainder towards town. This crucial action had so many plot holes it is infuriating.

I'm sorry, I know it's just a plot device, but I can't stand unwarranted tragedies.

12993445_1138540659544820_3317986680163613305_n
joined Dec 7, 2014

i just feel the story deep depp down in my heart.. it makes me so happy to see them understanding and loving each other na matter what .. MORE OF SUCH WONDERFUL STUFF

i didn't even think i have feelings left and there you go

last edited at Jan 1, 2020 8:25AM

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yas oh yas pls more

last edited at Jan 1, 2020 9:18AM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I really want to appreciate this one, because it's overall very well done, but... I can't get over the fact how utterly avoidable this tragedy was. There was literally NO reason for Asha's mom to die. Not a single one. She was a freaking DRAGON. All she needed to do was to grab her child and fly somewhere else. Why is dying the more appropiate response over just fleeing to another mountain range? Claire would have survived either way because the hunting party was already going her way. Not that the dragon even needed to expose herself. She could have just gone to them in human form and tell them that she found a survivor who needs help. Hell... she could have just gotten her out of the mountains herself and let her walk the remainder towards town. This crucial action had so many plot holes it is infuriating.

I'm sorry, I know it's just a plot device, but I can't stand unwarranted tragedies.

Oh I thought it was pretty clear she wanted to die. She orchestrated the situation such that she'd have to die, that she woman she loved would for sure be saved, and that her child would be taken care of. I definitely read it as her wanting to die, specifically at the hands of someone that loved her. Fucked up, but yeah,

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Oh I thought it was pretty clear she wanted to die. She orchestrated the situation such that she'd have to die, that she woman she loved would for sure be saved, and that her child would be taken care of. I definitely read it as her wanting to die, specifically at the hands of someone that loved her. Fucked up, but yeah,

She did not want to die. She wanted to die by the hands of Claire instead of getting killed by those hunters.
The reason for this is that Claire could not return to town because she killed her party. So she decided to live in the mountains with the dragons. So Alyn went to the village and baited the hunters to get her. By Claire killing her they would see her as the hero who slayed the dragon as the sole survivor. Alyn basically forced her into it, because she cornered her with no alternative.

The problem is that that's goddamn stupid. Instead of doing something so stupid she could have just torn apart the corpses so that it looked like the dragons killed them and then Claire could have plausibly returned. There are too many plot holes here.

All it takes to make this story work is a very easy fix that almost leaves it completely intact.
The hunting party Claire went with catches Alyn off-guard and critically injures her. THEN Claire kills them all to prevent them from dealing the killing blow. It's exactly the same, except Alyn is going to die and tells Claire to kill her, because she would rather die by her hand than the wounds from the other hunters. Knowing that she will die anyway and that Claire needs funds to provide for Asha, she lets herself get killed and basically tells Claire to use her trophy to get in the good graces of the town and get paid.
This way Claire will still feel immense guilt for both letting Alyn getting mortally wounded and finishing her off. The entire story would work out the exact same way, except the tragedy actually feels justified.

last edited at Jan 1, 2020 9:54AM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

@BugDevil I'm not sure why you can confidently say she didn't want to die, she literally planned and orchestrated a situation so that she'd have to. I think she was just suicidal, but couldn't let herself die because she didn't want Asha to be left alone, which is where Claire comes in. Like yeah, it was unfair and stupid, that's kind of how it works when people you love choose to die. Everyone is left behind reeling going "it could have been better, it didn't have to go this way." and blaming themselves.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

@BugDevil I'm not sure why you can confidently say she didn't want to die, she literally planned and orchestrated a situation so that she'd have to. I think she was just suicidal, but couldn't let herself die because she didn't want Asha to be left alone, which is where Claire comes in. Like yeah, it was unfair and stupid, that's kind of how it works when people you love choose to die. Everyone is left behind reeling going "it could have been better, it didn't have to go this way." and blaming themselves.

Because there is no evidence for it...? Nothing remotely implies that she was suicidal at all. In fact she seemed to have every reason to want to live. She was in love with Claire and couldn't bear seeing her freezing to death in the mountains, shunned by her own people as a murderer. That's her motivation. The author just chose a very bad way for her to sacrifice herself. Even the situation she actually forced on Claire was not one where she had to die. She could have easily escaped. It's very clear that redeeming Claire and assuring she would be safe was her main goal.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

She was in love with Claire and couldn't bear seeing her freezing to death in the mountains, shunned by her own people as a murderer.

That doesn't make people not suicidal, not at all. People hide it. She did her best to create a situation where she had to die. So maybe it was bad storycrafting, or maybe she wanted to die. I find the second more likely.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

She was in love with Claire and couldn't bear seeing her freezing to death in the mountains, shunned by her own people as a murderer.

That doesn't make people not suicidal, not at all. People hide it. She did her best to create a situation where she had to die. So maybe it was bad storycrafting, or maybe she wanted to die. I find the second more likely.

I will only repeat this one more time: There is no evidence for her being suicidal. I can't prove she wasn't, obviously, but just because one cannot prove a negative does not mean it has to be considered. If she was suicidal it would have been set up in absolutely any miniscule way, but it wasn't. The logical and easy explanation that is far more likely is the one I gave you. So we can either make a huge assumption... or just accept that this author is not perfect and rushed this particular point.

I think in this particular case you're projecting something on the story that simply has no evidence. Maybe you read too many tragic suicide stories, I don't know. You are arguing backwards here, justifying her alleged suicidal tendencies by looking at the result, without looking at the cause.

last edited at Jan 1, 2020 10:39AM

Smk_compress
joined Jan 16, 2017

God bless this New Year gift

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I completely agree. Her dying seemed like a plothole. Like why couldn't they just all move into a completely different location/country where no one knew they were dragons.
Such a waste of a cool character design for the dragon mom too.
The little girl also resembles her mom a lot too (physically) which leads me to believe she was supposed to be her mom's replacement of lover for Claire in the future. Something like Haru and Midori situation.

Asha went from Claire's dog, to her child and then her future lover (from my interpretation).

joined Jul 26, 2016

Oh god the angst. The delicious, beautiful angst. I love it.

I agree that the death of Alyn was a massive plot contrivance, though. Comes out of nowhere and doesn't follow much in the way of logic.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Tis cute, maybe needs Science Babies tag

I can’t see it, given we’re never told how Alyn actually gave birth to Asha.

It's times like these I wish we had like a mother tag or something

lizard
i googled 'cos Alyn reminded me of that godzilla movie

Thank u for this. You just made my day brighter. Lololololol

last edited at Jan 1, 2020 7:56PM by Nezchan

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Bawling my eyes out here

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Ah darn, I wish this wasn't a oneshot.

I mean... it does have a sequel in Avalon Bloom

Wait, what? Has it not been translated yet?

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Avalon Bloom/Bitter has not yet been completely scanlated, from what I can see. It's the same anthology this work is part of, you can click on the link on the top of this work to find it. I don't know whether or not it's true that there's a sequel within it, but The Zärtlichkeit du Yuri just finished this chapter of it, so if there is it might still be a little bit. The chapters before then it appears were scanlated more than a year ago, so it might be that there's not high demand so they're only getting around to things slowly. This is all just whatever I could figure out but looking at the pages for the manga and the scanlation group on here and on baka-updates (first thing that came up looking for them in google), so I have no insider knowledge and can't give you more than that.

Qndkfwtexmw51%20-%20kopie
joined May 20, 2014

Avalon Bloom/Bitter has not yet been completely scanlated, from what I can see. It's the same anthology this work is part of, you can click on the link on the top of this work to find it. I don't know whether or not it's true that there's a sequel within it, but The Zärtlichkeit du Yuri just finished this chapter of it, so if there is it might still be a little bit. The chapters before then it appears were scanlated more than a year ago, so it might be that there's not high demand so they're only getting around to things slowly. This is all just whatever I could figure out but looking at the pages for the manga and the scanlation group on here and on baka-updates (first thing that came up looking for them in google), so I have no insider knowledge and can't give you more than that.

There's a sequel in Avalon ~bloom~, the successor to Avalon (while Avalon ~karma~ is the successor to Avalon ~bitter~, the darker ones of these anthologies). We haven't started working on the sequel yet since we're slowly getting back to clearing our backlog and working on other new releases that our translators have interest in, but I personally wish to work on it eventually.

18e
joined Aug 16, 2017

I really like this ahh so good and warm T-T

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

There's a sequel in Avalon ~bloom~, the successor to Avalon (while Avalon ~karma~ is the successor to Avalon ~bitter~, the darker ones of these anthologies). We haven't started working on the sequel yet since we're slowly getting back to clearing our backlog and working on other new releases that our translators have interest in, but I personally wish to work on it eventually.

Oh okay, well that explains a lot. Thank you guys and gals for all the hard work. Most appreciated.

last edited at Jan 3, 2020 7:36AM

TheSmartestTrashcan
joined Jan 31, 2020

The hunting party...catches Alyn off-guard and critically injures her...Claire will still feel immense guilt for both letting Alyn getting mortally wounded and finishing her off. The entire story would work out the exact same way

Alyn being mortally wounded while saving Claire from her party would be better. Claire seemingly believes her weakness caused Alyn’s death. Subsequently, the idea of also making Asha vulnerable haunts her. When Asha says she likes being in human form because it lets her talk to Claire - despite it making her vulnerable - Claire literally gasps when Asha turns to look at her. If Alyn’s death was due basically to bad luck that scene wouldn’t be as good.

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

I don't even know what do say, this is pure art. Beautiful.
i'd love a sequence, but i doubt they'd make :\

TheAwooMaster
A8eb27cb4a70a5-a-nw-p
joined Feb 17, 2020

I loved the story and the chara design
I wish them a happy life <3

joined Dec 4, 2017

i hope the sequel will also be translated uwu, this is so good

Screenshot_2021-10-17-05-27-52-38
joined Jan 19, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

same. it could have been really emotional, but I was like, am I supposed to pretend this is necessary

To reply you must either login or sign up.