Forum › Sazanka discussion

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

This one hit pretty close to home. I found it funnily ironic since I, as a QC lady, have Asperger's. (Although I didn't get my official diagnosis until my 30s.) I didn't know what it was about, so when I read that first couple pages I was like "wow, okay, this is pretty neat I hope it doesn't end up being bad or offensive somehow".

Wanted to murder the boyfriend of course, knew right away when he offered to "help cure" that that wasn't gonna end well.

I think the author did a pretty good job. There were a couple things that I thought weren't entirely right, but I can't complain, since clearly the author put a lot of time and thought into giving a respectful and accurate representation.

I'd like to give Tatsuki all the hugs, plz.

What does QC mean? I tried looking it up but I got varying results on google that I doubt mean what you meant in this context

last edited at Nov 15, 2019 10:25PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

What does QC mean? I tried looking it up but I got varying results on google that I doubt mean what you meant in this context

Ah, sorry. It means Quality Check/Control. I like to be sneikkimies'--the translator--pet QC and I got to be QC on this one. I didn't know what this one was gonna be about so I was amused by how the MC was struggling with her Asperger's, and here I was, also a chick with Asperger's, doing the QC job. :)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Just using Asperger's was definitely oversimplifying things. Many of the issues she has are things that a typical person with Asperger's Syndrome would have adapted to by the time they were a young adult. Having something like ADHD on top of that, however, would definitely be more like she is. Though the bits during the beginning in the cafe weren't totally inaccurate either. Autistic people tend to get overwhelmed with sensory stimuli but that typically doesn't mean they're less attentive to things that are going on that's directed at them. That part in particular would be far more likely to be ADHD magnifying the sensory overload issue.

shadesofgreymoon posted:

Most people with Asperger's have a difficult time understanding what is and isn't proper behavior. It's sort of a key point of it. While most women with it learn early on how to mask their own "different" behavior by imitating what they see around them, that is only mimicry without a deeper understanding of the motivations and social constructs.

Girls with Asperger's are actually a lot more difficult to even diagnose in the first place because they tend to adapt a lot earlier than boys do. My highschool had a homeroom class that specialized in dealing with autistic students, the overwhelming majority of whom had Asperger's rather than another autism spectrum disorder, and in my 4-1/2 years there (when I first transferred in, it was a more general alternative school for the district so there were a fair few middle schoolers), the class only had a grand total of two female students to a whopping 30-40 male students.

I remember when I was in school I was always confused about how people acted. When I was in elementary and middle school I would sit and just watch people, and literally take notes to try and at least solve the mystery enough that I could "fake it till I make it". Now I'm super good at mimicry and I can blend in with just about any crowd, at least in a more cursory sense, but deeper relationships tend to escape me. It's just how I am, and it won't ever change.

I did this myself too. Though I still find it extremely exhausting to deal with regardless. It's why I was considered the role model for the other students in the autistic class the entirety of my time in highschool and was the first one put on the integrated track taking more classes with the rest of the school's more normal students. (More normal being subjective though since it was an alternative highschool for the district for a reason, lol.)

last edited at Nov 16, 2019 1:16PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

Just using Asperger's was definitely oversimplifying things.

Except she doesn't have Asperger. In the afterword they specifically said, she has PDD with ADHD and LD mixed in. Tatsuki said she has asp, only because it's term people know and makes explaining things easier for them. She was simplifying it for them.

last edited at Nov 16, 2019 1:32PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nevri posted:

Except she doesn't have Asperger. In the afterword they specifically said, she has PDD with ADHD and LD mixed in. Tatsuki said she has asp, only because it's term people know and makes explaining things easier for them. She was simplifying it for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_developmental_disorder

Asperger's and other forms of autism are a form of PDD anyways. Either way my point was that the way it was written was too confusing and simplified to be accurate.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

Either way my point was that the way it was written was too confusing and simplified to be accurate.

Yea. Author said that with the number of pages given it was way too little for them to explore all the nuances. They do want to write more about Tatsuki, so maybe we can expect sequel in the future.

last edited at Nov 16, 2019 3:04PM

Img_20191208_235120
joined Nov 14, 2015

And in the next issue Aoi gets a baseball bat and beats the shit out of Tatsuki's ex and this two live happily ever after

Download
joined May 10, 2016

the mangaka sure did a great job,i loved to read this story, we easily enter into the world of the protagonist

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

The art is good and the (girl)friend very sweet, but the beatings came a bit out of nowhere for me.

joined Sep 13, 2018

This hurts my heart.

I have heard about a story about a mother dealing with a kid having asperger it was like the only manga used in the west for people who study that stuff , i dont remember the name but it seems to be pretty famous and easy to find if googled

joined Dec 27, 2018

Feels fucking bad man.
Happy that she got out of that relationship.

A worse ending would be that she'd still be with her boyfriend.

Chibi%20flustered%20shizuku%20giving%20eris%20a%20bento
joined Jun 19, 2020

At the end it mentions a main book. Is this like a chapter in a book that’s more about Tatsuki, or is the main book like an anthology?

934c158f-6d10-4800-a176-151cb1c96d1b
joined Dec 23, 2019

I don’t know what to say, that was so..
I loved the story and felt the need to hug her and kick her ex-bf. I’m glad it has a happy ending for her.
Is there a tag for middle school friends? Because wouldn’t they found as childhood friends?

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

The art is good and the (girl)friend very sweet, but the beatings came a bit out of nowhere for me.

Abuse tag and no yuri tag thankfully prepared me, that was harsh. If she didn't have her friend she would probably committed suicide, or stayed in the relationship. Glad for the wholesome ending.

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

When she was describing how it's like for her, that hot hard like a frieght train. I was seething at how her partner was treating her and felt some relief when she got out of it. It's really nice that she has someone who sees her just as different and still cares and respects her.

i bawled my eyes out i love this oneshot

To reply you must either login or sign up.