Forum › Mimi Mix! discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ lol- I did think the whole inherit traits from said animal idea was a bit silly- I think rather than imagine some retrovirus reprogramming your brain its better to go with the whole Disney like magic - and just except 'ofcourse you will act like a cat if you get cat ears' as common sense lol.

I was thinking - if they existed would I want them? And I think maybe yes, if not for getting some random trait lol!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of want a spin off with the wolf onee sama....... just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit

last edited at Oct 16, 2019 7:59PM

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

There are three mangas I wanted to read badly, I've found them year ago and no eng translation was around. So good to see some kind soul took care about two of them(Chotto ippai and Mimi mix). Now I pray for this https://mangadex.org/title/10288/noro-girl , just 11 chapters.

last edited at Oct 16, 2019 8:34PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

elevown posted:

I was thinking - if they existed would I want them? And I think maybe yes, if not for getting some random trait lol!

I already behave so much like a cat, that getting cat ears would probably have no side effect on me.

last edited at Oct 16, 2019 10:16PM

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

God damn it, Elon Musk, what have you done?

Now if only we could get this general premise with winged girls instead of animal ears, that would be more to my liking, but I guess I'm alone on this one.

Also, Nono should drop her crush on Neon and just go for Mikan instead. She has cuter ears, a better attitude and, most importantly, bigger breasts. Plus Mikan sometimes seems to have her own crush on Nono, so... All I'm saying is, this kinda gives me minor Chiya x Sharo vibes.

Oh, and that "I'm not feeling horny" panel? My favorite so far.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 2:11AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

The first chapter was a lot for me to take in

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Also, is it weird that I ship Nono with Mikan and Chika more than Nono and Neon?

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

The girls hitting it off at the counter and leaving together in the background in Ch06... Should I know who they are, or is that just a cute background easter egg?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Thanks for pointing that out - I missed it - they were cute :) running off holding hands with all the hearts :)

joined Jul 26, 2016

^ lol- I did think the whole inherit traits from said animal idea was a bit silly- I think rather than imagine some retrovirus reprogramming your brain its better to go with the whole Disney like magic - and just except 'ofcourse you will act like a cat if you get cat ears' as common sense lol.

Well I was staying away from obviously magical explanations like the Laws of Contagion and Similarity because in-universe the whole business is explicitly couched in medical-technological language. Regardless of what mechanic you handwave it with, though, it's a patently terrible idea.

Because if you start thinking it through a lot of the side effects take a hard turn into pure horror territory. Ears from basically any actively predatory carnivore species? "We accidentally a whole demographic with a greatly heightened likelihood of becoming serial killers tehepero"... particularly egregious if you're talking about something like the big cats, which are pretty much the record holders in recorded man-eater kill counts (tigers and leopards being particularly distinguished in this field), but goes for basically all felines - hypercarnivores one and all - and a major chunk of canines too. The humble house cat is really only safe for us to be around because compared to it Humans Are Cthulhu and way out of the prey strike zone - but any small rodent or bird in the neighbourhood might have some opinions regarding how pleasant company those are to things around their own size class. And dogs are, basically, wolves and a great many breeds are quite large enough to do real damage to people if so inclined - as it happens "man's best friend" is responsible for the lion's share of yearly animal attacks worldwide...

And then you have stuff like the mustelidae which are rightly famed for being stubbornly pugnacious to a fault - wolverines have been recorded trying to fight bears over carcasses (spoiler: tends to end poorly for them) and even little squirts like polecats and weasels will often fearlessly stand their ground against things far larger than themselves (people included)...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of general orneriness in the Animal Kingdom in general and the parts thereof whose ears paying customers might want to graft to their heads in particular - a lot of herbivores aren't any better behaved either (Africa's top 3 man-killers are all such, for ex). What could possibly go wrong with introducing an unpredictable chance for such explicitly uncontrollable behavioural patterns into urban human populations...?

Just sayin' but having both sets of ears is the creepy kind of kemonomimi and bad civilisation in general. Though more practically I'd rather not have my passing fad fashion accessories surgically grafted to my damn skull. -.-;

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 8:45AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ I think secondary animal ears on top of the head- that I guess dont actually have openings into the skull - but are magic or whatever - look FAR better and cuter and not creepy.

The type of animal ear girls where they dont have any human ears but huge animal ears sweeping up in place of regular ears look a lot worse and not cute - even if they logically make more sense.

And while I say maybe I'd want them in RL if they existed - Its hard to say how they would look in real life instead on in an anime. They'd probably seem a lot stranger lol. And they wouldnt have to be a fad- you could end up with them becoming the norm from then on for 90%+ of people - just like say once we get cyber implants and mods they might for ever after be the new norm eventually.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 8:56AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Personally I'd probably have gone for some sort of transhumanist cyberpunk-ish thing where - among a lot of other things - animal ears are just one of many possibilities. And I suppose you can voluntarily grab a bunch of animal personality mods, if you want. If you absolutely have to have the heroine go rape-y at the start you can still say it's some sort of bug or accident or she got cheap used ones with a software package that she can't personally pick or whatever.

But you'd have to actually make some sort of effort at world building for that and these manga always go the "oh, animal ears, so cute, so we have that, and that's it" route. ^^

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

Okay. I have just read 3 chapters, and it is such an awesome setting(with great art and hot characters). Implanting animal ears into your brains and not only you look cute, but also get some animal traits. Who knows, this may really happen in distant future. Even now we already can change a person gender and it works great on some people.
So, I call this - science fiction yuri!

joined Jul 26, 2016

^ I think secondary animal ears on top of the head- that I guess dont actually have openings into the skull - but are magic or whatever - look FAR better and cuter and not creepy.

The type of animal ear girls where they dont have any human ears but huge animal ears sweeping up in place of regular ears look a lot worse and not cute - even if they logically make more sense.

I don't mind kemonomimi high up on the head, I'm willing to handwave the implicit rearrangement of associated cranial internals; but having both those and regular human ears smacks of a bad case of trying to have your cake and eat it too and basically makes no fucking sense either anatomically or aesthetically. Also renders one pair completely superfluous.

And they wouldnt have to be a fad- you could end up with them becoming the norm from then on for 90%+ of people - just like say once we get cyber implants and mods they might for ever after be the new norm eventually.

Yeah, no. These things literally serve no purpose beyond appearances and really just get in the way (I live far up north enough to appreciate the need for warm headwear), they're the very epitome of pointless fashion trifle that's unlikely to stick around for very long in the mainstream. (And that's without accounting for the arbitrary and unpredictable side effects they come with in-story...) Cybernetics would at least have some functionality - extant real-life implants like pacemakers certainly do - be it just a personal communicator you can't lose or somesuch.

At least the removal procedure seems simple enough, which makes sense since they're basically just lumps of skin and cartilage attached to your scalp. (The post-removal bald spots are going to look pretty goofy tho...)
Hell.
Get into a no holds barred fight with those and odds are pretty good they'll just get torn off by grasping hands. Ouch.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 9:33AM

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Somehow, when it said there was a fad to get animal ears, I wasn't expecting it to literally mean getting a surgery to become a human-animal hybrid.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

random posted:

I don't mind kemonomimi high up on the head, I'm willing to handwave the implicit rearrangement of associated cranial internals; but having both those and regular human ears smacks of a bad case of trying to have your cake and eat it too and basically makes no fucking sense either anatomically or aesthetically. Also renders one pair completely superfluous.

That's how almost all animal ears in anime works though. Having 2 pairs is go to way to avoid uncanny valley effect that actual missing human ears would cause. Not having them would feel more disturbing, no matter how much more sense that would make. That's why often, even if it's not specifically mentioned whatever characters still has their human ears or not, authors simply sidestep this issue by giving characters hairstyle that cover place where ears normally would by. Finding examples where characters with animal ears are confirmed to not have human ears are actually way harder. Hell, in most cases you might not even realize character actually have 2 pairs, because having human ears is so obvious, you don't even think about it. Only series with characters having 1 pair I can think of from top of my head is Zakuro and even there, character always cover the spot where ears would be with hair.

Aren't you overthinking simple manga about cute anime girls with cute animal ears way too much? Tattoos, piercings, earplugs etc. permanently alter your body as well and are completely cosmetic and yet there's plenty of people who have them.

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's how almost all animal ears in anime works though.

[citation needed] because the overwhelming majority I remember seeing were a single pair, usually up on the sides or top of the head but sometimes down replacing the usual human ones - I think the latter was more common in older works.

Having 2 pairs is go to way to avoid uncanny valley effect that actual missing human ears would cause.

It's at best replacing one cause with another. More to the point kind of lazy af since at that point it's largely indistinguishable from just putting on a headband with fake ears, design-wise.

Only, y'know, with the added baggage of unanswered questions about how the whole setup is actually supposed to work.

Not having them would feel more disturbing, no matter how much more sense that would make.

A most subjective assessment; arguably even moreso than my dislike of chimeric doubled-up external ears.

That's why often, even if it's not specifically mentioned whatever characters still has their human ears or not, authors simply sidestep this issue by giving characters hairstyle that cover place where ears normally would by. Finding examples where characters with animal ears are confirmed to not have human ears are actually way harder. Hell, in most cases you might not even realize character actually have 2 pairs, because having human ears is so obvious, you don't even think about it. Only series with characters having 1 pair I can think of from top of my head is Zakuro and even there, character always cover the spot where ears would be with hair.

That's more because having bald vaguely ear-shaped spots intruding on the hairline at the sides of the head would look godawfully stupid and more than a little jarring though... design-wise covering the whole area with suitable hairdo is basically just the least amount of work and effort, animango gurls (and for some reason it's overwhelmingly females we see with kemonomimi) tending to have ample locks to work with anyway. Not that they had a monopoly on it ofc, looking at you Inuyasha...

Aren't you overthinking simple manga about cute anime girls with cute animal ears way too much?

"What I'm getting at here is, the less you try to make sense of it the happier you'll be."
- the conclusion of literally my first post on this thread, at the top of the page

It works fine as a standalone comedic premise, but you have to actively avoid thinking any further about it else you'll quickly find yourself in some fairly disturbing neighbourhoods. I might further point out that certain types of criminal might find some of those side-effect behavioural changes desirable to inflict upon themselves or others for ex...

Tattoos, piercings, earplugs etc. permanently alter your body as well and are completely cosmetic and yet there's plenty of people who have them.

Tattoos are literally only skin deep (and nowadays more or less removable, albeit at some expense; convenient when people ink on the names of "fated lovers" they later acrimoniously break up with...) and piercings are readily detachable if necessary; also IIRC in most cases the holes made for the latter will tend to close up over time if not consistently kept open with foreign objects. And neither will eg. stop you from wearing work-appropriate headgear (eg. various protective helmets or hair nets) or readily go gangrenous from frostbite - ears from warm-climate species are not going to have the necessary adaptations for the cold of higher latitudes (or elevations for that matter).

More to the point, both are as subject to the vagaries of fashion as anything else people use to decorate themselves and hence rather poor arguments for your case. Wasn't too long ago that tattoos were the mark of a sailor or criminal (eg. the yakuza "suits" but usually more specifically a former jailbird, the Russian vory being a particularly prominent example, and several past societies visibly tattooed convicted criminals - often on the hands and/or face - as an alternative identifying stigma to branding) and earrings on men were seen as the sign of, again, an underworld type or a sailor - or homosexual (the latter two tending to go fairly closely together in popular perception anyway for obvious enough reasons).
Which history is of course why these days they're a common affectation of poseurs trying to look all tough and rebel and Totally Radical; "tribal-tattoo Dim Mak master mall ninja" is a derisive trope in some circles...

Naturally both have carried whole other meanings in other times and contexts. In particular tattoos were a fairly common signifier of status and/or age-cohort owing to the rank painfulness of traditional inking techniques.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 1:13PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I think the main point was tattoos and peircings are fairly permenant - unless you go out your way to get them removed.
tattoos I think will always leave some kinda visual evidence they were there- and these ears in the manga are ALSO not permenant- it seems fairly trivial to get them done or removed and seem to leave zero evidence. They also seem to leave no bald spots- or maybe they have some instant hair grow tech too.

Also tattoos and piercings are completely cosmetic - AND while the fashions for them change and their popularity- ever since they were invented thousands of years ago, the human race has NEVER stopped doing them to various degrees in different cultures. So body mods in the form of animal ears could possibly become some new thing that just never stopped being done to different degrees in every culture.

And Im pretty sure your wrong about their being more neko mimi of the single pair type. I've been watching anime and reading manga over 30 years and can think of almost no examples of ears atop the head and NO side ears.

Like Nev said most of the time they cover up the human ears with hair but they still have them. If you actually showed just smooth skin where ears should be it would be super creepy and weird and I dont recall ever seeing it.

And the type with animal ears just where ours go is not that rare but for sure rarer than the atop the head, 2 pair sort.
Its rarer because they just dont look cute imo.

I agree you shouldnt try to make sense of this kinda thing in this kinda manga tho generaly because its not needed for what it is to develop their setting to that degree, so they dont.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 5:17PM

joined Sep 5, 2018

And Im pretty sure your wrong about their being more neko mimi of the single pair type. I've been watching anime and reading manga over 30 years and can think of almost no examples of ears atop the head and NO side ears.

From the top of my head: Konohana Kitan, Granblue Fantasy, Spice and Wolf, Dog Days, Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki, Centaur’s Life/Worries and Negima. Touhou zig-zags it with almost all characters having just one pair of ears but Orin having two.

Like Nev said most of the time they cover up the human ears with hair but they still have them. If you actually showed just smooth skin where ears should be it would be super creepy and weird and I dont recall ever seeing it.

Centaur’s Life/Worries plays it completely straight and hairstyles without bangs show that most characters just have hair growing where “side ears” would be. After reading a few volumes, you’ll get used to it and “missing ears” will be the least of your concerns, considering everything else in that series.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 10:02PM

Rumia_full_1227580
joined Oct 10, 2018

I want to point out that the side effects arent normally that bad. Its a small group of Humans that have the extremely bad side effects.

Or at least thats what's implied. And if you also already have inclinations towards certain aspects it's enchanced from what i believe.

It's not that hard to believe. Companies saw an opportunity too make money and took it probably. I mean there are plenty of stuff with garmful side effects on the market. A fashion trend like animal ears with some side effects wouldnt be weird.

Without digging a bit into how the side effects work we can only guess.

And its also implied that this hasnt been around long enough for regulations to be imposed.

Also am I the only one annoyed with Neon?

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 10:11PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

She was a bit annoying this time, yeah... calling Nono an idiot any chance she gets, at first she was presented more like the cool type...

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Neon seems inconsistent for sure.

joined Aug 1, 2019

The attached animal ear would have to be purely aesthetic anyway since any attempt to actually connect them to our cochlea from the positions they're placed at would require digging through both the motor & sensory cortex. Having animal ears isn't too beneficial for a brain damaged vegetable. The only way it would work without significant brain damage was if the ears were placed on the side of the head Catra style.

last edited at Oct 18, 2019 4:22AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

She was a bit annoying this time, yeah... calling Nono an idiot any chance she gets, at first she was presented more like the cool type...

Was she ? Beside the flashback of Nono, she never really act as cool and on the topic of that, it's really hard to see what Nono found in Neon and i found rather rush how she fell in love. Come on, fell in love because she give you directions ?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

We are at chapter 9 so far and for my part, it's very dissapointing. Vol.2 so far is about ecchi situations and sexual innuendos because of the ears some randoms girls put on. Between the ojou-sama getting submissive because of her wolfs ears or the one who produce milks because of her cows ears and her friend wanting to suck it directly. Ah excuse me what did you said ? Nono ? I don't know, most of the times she is not really the focus and even when she is, we make no progress on her side of the story. We're at half of the manga and i can't really bring myself to see how the author will manage to make Nono x Neon the end pairing. Also the idol is still here but i don't really like her either.

last edited at Oct 21, 2019 12:36PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.