Forum › Still Sick discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Why am I crying?? I JUST THOUGHT THAT THIS MANGA IS SOOOO GOOD AND IM SOO HAPPY I JUST WANTED TO CRYYYY

Your profile pic reminds me how much I want fighting game yuri. Either two gay gals playing fighting games or the fighters themselves . . . or both.

There was one . . . but it was pretty much just subtext.

If only I'd stop playing fighters long enough to get my crappy art and writing skills up . . . ugh.

Skullgirls? It was a surprisingly mechanically solid fighting game. One of the best from the last 5 years or so.

I think maybe this one: https://dynasty-scans.com/series/someday_well_get_there

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I think he’s tossed the paddle in the air in surprise.

Action lines following his arms would have made the action more clear

Other way around. He was holding it up, but he slammed his hand down in surprise so fast the padddle hasn't had time to fall. The composition does make it look like it's growing out of his arm, though.

Faye_valentine_2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Yes, yes.... Let the yuri consume you

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I love the fact how Kidoguchi uses they (so, in the real one, didn't make the gender clear), so does Shimizu but she ends saying "her". It's a cool way to get out of the closet.

joined Sep 23, 2015

I love the fact how Kidoguchi uses they (so, in the real one, didn't make the gender clear), so does Shimizu but she ends saying "her". It's a cool way to get out of the closet.

But this might just be due to the translation. Or did you mean they also did that in the original japanese version?
Edit: As far as i can tell with my very limited japanese skills in the raws she never mentions it being a "her"

She says 夢が叶った瞬間を、私が一番近くで見たいんた which i think roughly means "The moment (their) dream comes true, i want to be the closest one watching", so no mention of it being a 彼女

last edited at Aug 15, 2019 7:37PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

But this might just be due to the translation. Or did you mean they also did that in the original japanese version?

I don't have enoight japanese level to know if it is well done or bad translation, my point was that it's a cool way to get out of the closet, I wish for the author to said it like that in the original but, even if they didn't, it's cool seeing it.
In the other hand if Shinizu didn't say it and it's not implied it would be better to change that :( but it's pretty cool.

10455963_830638436992044_5645511050433336598_n
joined Jun 27, 2019

"talk" Maekawa said...

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Yeah that's cool and all, but who won the table tennis game?

last edited at Aug 15, 2019 8:21PM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I'm a little ahead (I've been reading the raws) but I'm glad to see this catching up. I think the two of them are pretty funny, it's nice to see Maekawa realize her "I hate you!" attack has lost effect.

That said, there are some minor translation quibbles. At the beginning, Shimizu says "should we go at different times?" in regards to the bath (probably no good way to put this in). In the bath, she says "they came out when washing her hair" in regard to here contacts (hazureru) not that she took them out (hazusu). Transitive/intransitive verb. Also, at the ping pong table, Shimizu is saying it's just for fun, while Kidoguchi is saying, "shut up and come at me for real". None of these are important to the plot so eh.

That said... I'm really really impressed by how well the group has managed to get the tone and character. Really I would just tie myself in knots trying to get it to come out well. I don't have the motivation to do translation and I'm really glad someone is because this manga is great and I want everyone to read it!

321135_2320992341587_421511_s
joined Jun 16, 2013

No! It’s no fine with me.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Talking?

Preposterous! Not in my yuri manga!

"Talking it out? In my Yuri? It's more likely than you think."

last edited at Aug 15, 2019 10:32PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I'm a little ahead (I've been reading the raws) but I'm glad to see this catching up. I think the two of them are pretty funny, it's nice to see Maekawa realize her "I hate you!" attack has lost effect.

That said, there are some minor translation quibbles. At the beginning, Shimizu says "should we go at different times?" in regards to the bath (probably no good way to put this in). In the bath, she says "they came out when washing her hair" in regard to here contacts (hazureru) not that she took them out (hazusu). Transitive/intransitive verb. Also, at the ping pong table, Shimizu is saying it's just for fun, while Kidoguchi is saying, "shut up and come at me for real". None of these are important to the plot so eh.

That said... I'm really really impressed by how well the group has managed to get the tone and character. Really I would just tie myself in knots trying to get it to come out well. I don't have the motivation to do translation and I'm really glad someone is because this manga is great and I want everyone to read it!

Oh oh, but was that "she" actually a she (when she was talking to Kidoguchi), or they translated a "they" like that?

last edited at Aug 15, 2019 11:51PM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Oh oh, but was that "she" actually a she (when she was talking to Kidoguchi), or they translated a "they" like that?

You're gonna make me wade into something that's translator's privilege here? As someone else mentioned, she's not even referred to except as "yatsu" in the sentence before. I don't think it's terribly relevant as Kidoguchi knows Shimizu is gay, right? The problem is that making the sentences "work" in English means putting something there. I don't think it's a big deal? If this were something where it was super plot-relevant or obviously incorrect I might care, but that's more of matter of interpretation. I guess you could use "them" but I'm not sold that it's something worth fighting about.

I will, however, nitpick a missed intransitive verb. So now you know what's important to me!

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Why am I crying?? I JUST THOUGHT THAT THIS MANGA IS SOOOO GOOD AND IM SOO HAPPY I JUST WANTED TO CRYYYY

Your profile pic reminds me how much I want fighting game yuri. Either two gay gals playing fighting games or the fighters themselves . . . or both.

If only I'd stop playing fighters long enough to get my crappy art and writing skills up . . . ugh.

Skullgirls? It was a surprisingly mechanically solid fighting game. One of the best from the last 5 years or so.

Stupid dyslexia I read that as "yuri fighting game" rather than "fighting game yuri." Skullgirls never had anything beyond a bit of subtext, but for something like a fight game that's basically unheard of.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't think it's terribly relevant as Kidoguchi knows Shimizu is gay, right?

He doesn't know for sure. Shimizu has only come out to Maekawa. So even if Kidoguchi suspects it, I don't think someone who is not certain of someone else being gay or how comfortable they feel openly talking about it, would use a female pronoun.
Not trying to argue, just my two cents. Seems like "they" would be more appropriate here, considering the fact that he doesn't directly use a female pronoun in Japanese as well.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Edit: Oh. Never mind. Blastaar beat me to it.

last edited at Aug 16, 2019 1:51PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Actually I meant a yuri manga on this site that seemed to feature girls playing fighters that may be gay. But weren't really.

As I posted before, probably: Someday We'll Get There

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Stupid dyslexia I read that as "yuri fighting game" rather than "fighting game yuri." Skullgirls never had anything beyond a bit of subtext, but for something like a fight game that's basically unheard of.

There is a bit of hinting at something between the girls in my profile pic. It's like a fun bread crumb trail to follow. And I mean bread crumbs since the stories in most fighters is a blurb and a few seconds to minutes long video that is continued(sometimes) every few years in most cases. You can actually just search youtube for the endings of Lilli and Asuka from Tekken. The latest has Lili buying Asuka's fathers dojo and home then "moving in."

The butler almost sounds like he "outs" Lili In one of the endings.

last edited at Aug 16, 2019 2:05PM

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Oh yeah. They're gonna kiss next chapter 3

joined Aug 17, 2019

Oh yeah. They're gonna kiss next chapter 3

Yeah! They kissed twice in the chapter 15, i was fangirling all the time. Maekawa is adorable.. Damn, this manga is so good!

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

eagerly waiting

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

HOLY SHIT YES

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Yes, yes.... Let the yuri consume you

The yuri embraces you.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Was browsing around on Amazon and an official English volume 1 by Tokyopop came up in my suggestion feed, for those interested in pre-ordering.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I don't think it's terribly relevant as Kidoguchi knows Shimizu is gay, right?

He doesn't know for sure. Shimizu has only come out to Maekawa. So even if Kidoguchi suspects it, I don't think someone who is not certain of someone else being gay or how comfortable they feel openly talking about it, would use a female pronoun.
Not trying to argue, just my two cents. Seems like "they" would be more appropriate here, considering the fact that he doesn't directly use a female pronoun in Japanese as well.

So, there are no gendered pronouns in Japanese, but in English, gendered pronouns are so common that people consider it conspicuously out of your way to use they/their/them. This adds a complicated subtext to a lot of manga, especially queer-genre manga, because you can give the impression that someone is guarding their sexuality when they're actually speaking frankly, or you can give the impression that someone has been "tipped off" to things they're already supposed to know, or any number of other little mischaracterizations.

I believe it's generally suggested here and from past conversations that Shimizu doesn't really have any secrets from Kidoguchi. He almost certainly knows she's a yuri fan, and that she ships girls constantly. We also know that they broke up -and- they're still good friends, which suggests comfort and honesty. He may or may not be explicitly aware that she's gay, but he probably has at least suspicions, and this is supposed to be a scene where she's bearing her soul to her most trusted friend. It changes the dynamic if the translator writes it as if she's in the closet with him.

All in all, I think it's a complicated question with no easy answer. I suspect it's immaterial anyway. He probably knew anyway and there's a good chance he recognizes that it's Maekawa. (Now, anyway)

last edited at Aug 20, 2019 6:10PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.