Forum › Luminous=Blue discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean. Nene's behaviour is certainly explainable - strictly speaking something as crude as "actually is a nasty bitch" would cover that, not that I expect it to be anything so simple and straightforward ofc.

Excusable is a whole different story given it's currently really hard to avoid the impression she's pretty much only keeping in touch with Amane to twist the knife and watch her squirm...

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

She's pursuing Kou for the wrong reasons.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch04#29
Kou is (unwittingly) enabling Nene's complex. What Nene needs is to face her complex in order to grow as a person. Kou actually believes that Nene smiles the brightest when she's with Amane (which she captured through her picture), and Kou might be right about that. But Nene can't deal with her inferiority complex so she runs away from her own feelings and from Amane. She has to stop running away and face her shit instead.

Indeedy. My namesake is a knot of complexes, which lead her to some really problematic choices -- and a lot of people in this forum are up at arms against her because of that. But that doesn't make her a villain.

She's not supposed to be the antagonist or the nemesis of the manga, just like Asa in Giniro no Genders is not supposed to be a baddie even though she does many questionable things. Anyone expecting otherwise is bound to be disappointed.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Some people here have a gut reaction towards something unpleasant and I don't think they will change their mind even after the inevitable reveal of Nene's situation.

That was my point, actually. People have formed premature decisions about how things should be, and will very likely continue to stubbornly cling to those notions even after things have clearly changed. Your post basically says "People are going to continue to hate Nene to matter what happens after this because they already made up their minds to do so." Thank you for agreeing with me that that will happen - who could do otherwise, it is human nature after all. Glad we are on the same page.

No, my point was that they are going to still think these were bitch moves... because they are. There is literally no justifying them. Even with the best intentions they are cruel.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I love all the responses people wrote on my post, but I love this response the best. It clarifies things more clearly. She is the typical high school chick jealous of something really dumb. It’s funny how Amane is more mentally mature than someone who appears mature.

But man this author knows how to trick the mind really well. Maybe the creepy senpai really had barely anything to do with it.

Let's speculate for a bit. I think what creepy senpai did was showing Nene the pictures of happy cute Amane she has been taking since childhood.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#5
I think until that point Nene probably wasn't comparing herself to Amane and was happy in her relationship with her. But she had probably always wanted to be seen as cute and bright and never could, so getting to see those pictures must have sparked some pretty serious envy (the fact she feels envious of Amane is already confirmed anyway).

This probably kept eating at her until she snapped and dumped Amane, and started to treat her coldly ever since.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch06#21
Feeling inferior to someone is not inherently wrong, but not being honest about it and treating that person like shit is definitely wrong. What Nene should have done is talk things out with Amane properly. If they broke up anyway so be it, but at least Amane would know why and would be able to get closure and move on. Also, it's clear that Nene hasn't moved on either. She still feels inferior and jealous of Amane so clearly breaking up didn't solve anything for her, didn't help her in any way.

Enters Kou. On one hand, Kou can instinctively see that whatever Nene and Amane had in the past still exists to same extent. She can see it in the picture of them together that she took at the beginning of the story. There is a reason that became her favorite picture
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#1
and she strongly believes what she sees in that picture is true.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#38

On the other hand, Nene is trying to use Kou as an emotional crutch. Since Nene ran away from Amane instead of talking things out properly, she never got over her inferiority complex. Thus she's using Kou to feel special, to feel cuter than Amane in some way.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch04#29

As for senpai... She seems to believe that Amane is most beautiful when sad.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch06#31
Which is why I think she really must have shown Nene those cute Amane pictures (this hasn't been confirmed yet but I think it will soon enough) in order to push Nene into breaking out with Amane.

As for what's going to happen next, I think Kou's picture is gonna win the contest. I think this has to happen in order to validate what Kou sees in that picture as true. And as a result Kou will become more determined to help Nene and Amane patch things out. Because, ultimately Kou is the protagonist so she will be the one to fix all this shit, one way or another.

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 4:06PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There seem to be two main ways of making ethical evaluations about characters:

Understanding them in terms of narrative expectations, reading the cues that any given story is sending about how the characters function as part of the story. That understanding can change radically over the course of a story, of course, and sometimes the signals the story sends aren’t very clear, intentionally or otherwise.

(The rubric here is, “The author wants us to think ___ about [character] at this point in the story.”)

OR

Positing the characters as real-life human beings, and making judgements about them by imagining the character’s actions in the context of the reader’s everyday life.

(The rubric here is, “A person who does _______ is [bad/good/psycho, whatever].”)

Many (maybe most) readers can move pretty seamlessly between those positions, but judging by the Dynasty forums quite a few readers think mainly or only in the latter terms.

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 3:18PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

All that been said, she's still a huge bitch all the same. Having emotional issues doesn't mean it's right to treat people like shit.

Don't conflate my understanding of an action or actions with condoning them. I get why the girl is behaving the way she is. It doesn't mean that I'm okay with the way that she's affecting the people in her life as a result of her behavior.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Some people here have a gut reaction towards something unpleasant and I don't think they will change their mind even after the inevitable reveal of Nene's situation.

That was my point, actually. People have formed premature decisions about how things should be, and will very likely continue to stubbornly cling to those notions even after things have clearly changed. Your post basically says "People are going to continue to hate Nene to matter what happens after this because they already made up their minds to do so." Thank you for agreeing with me that that will happen - who could do otherwise, it is human nature after all. Glad we are on the same page.

No, my point was that they are going to still think these were bitch moves... because they are. There is literally no justifying them. Even with the best intentions they are cruel.

Well if Amane cheated I wouldn't say that but, I'm guilty, I know I will still hate Nene even after it is explained why she is a bitch to Amane.

Although we have seen the way Amane thinks about her and I wouldn't say that's how a person who cheated would think about their ex, but this is fiction and real life so anything could happen

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well if Amane cheated I wouldn't say that

Even if she had what Nene's doing amounts to nothing short of deliberate, wanton cruelty right in the face of it. Being wronged does not justify active malice.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well if Amane cheated I wouldn't say that but, I'm guilty, I know I will still hate Nene even after it is explained why she is a bitch to Amane.

Although we have seen the way Amane thinks about her and I wouldn't say that's how a person who cheated would think about their ex, but this is fiction and real life so anything could happen

I will not say Amane is the bad one here because obviously not but her attitude of not letting Nene go is still somewhat chilldish because if you consider that Nene is really over Amane (which she obviously not) then having an ex you will still consider as a friend is still trying to make a move on you is somewhat obnoxious.

But here it's somewhat ok because Nene does that for whatever reasons unknow just to try to cut the ties with Amane. For me it's pretty obvious that Kou will try to put them together and will say no in fall.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I will not say Amane is the bad one here because obviously not but her attitude of not letting Nene go is still somewhat chilldish because

Thing is Nene didn't give any reasons for why she was breaking things up with Amane and that left Amane in a sort of limbo where she can't help wondering what the hell happened endlessly. We, as omniscient readers can see that the reason Nene dumped her is related to her inferiority complex, but Amane has no clue about this. She doesn't know Nene is envious of her cuteness and bright personality. She has a million questions and not a single answer. It's understandable she can't easily move on, and I don't think it's particularly childish for her age to feel that way.

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 8:51PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

She has a million questions and not a single answer.

I know this trope, it's the "peoples don't talk to each other about a misunderstanding and so they end up mad at each other for stupid reasons" one, it's pretty common like Zubat in caves.

I don't think it's particularly childish for her age to feel that way.

Maybe childish wasn't the good word to describe it. I think it's not really the good attitude to have when someone told you they want to break up. I know Amane need answers and to be fair she deserved it but still clingy to the hope of getting back together if the person is really serious about break up is basiccaly daydreaming.

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 9:14PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

but still clingy to the hope of getting back together if the person is really serious about break up is basiccaly daydreaming.

The thing is she doesn't know how serious Nene really is since she doesn't even know the reason for the break up in the first place. That considering, I think it's unfair for us to expect Amane to just move on. First Nene has to be honest with her and give her some good answers.

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 9:40PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Can anyone think of any possible explanation as to why it’s so hard for people in a relationship to objectively assess the facts of their situation and, for example, calculate the probabilities of how likely it would be to get back together with someone you loved but who broke up with you without really saying why EVEN THOUGH it’s totally obvious to people outside the relationship, who can just snap their fingers and say what it is the emotionally involved person should do?

This ETERNAL MYSTERY OF THE UNIVERSE as to why people who are emotionally involved think emotionally rather than logically is a mysterious enigmatic mystery that is a constant puzzler.

After all, how many times have heartbroken friends come to you with their troubles and you’ve given them solid advice about how they should feel, and yet they don’t feel that way at all and they just go on feeling their bad old emotions instead of the better way you told them to feel?

What’s up with that, anyway?

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 6:07AM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Can anyone think of any possible explanation as to why it’s so hard for people in a relationship to objectively assess the facts of their situation and, for example, calculate the probabilities of how likely it it would be to get back together with someone you loved but who broke up with you without really saying why EVEN THOUGH it’s totally obvious to people outside the relationship, who can just snap their fingers and say what it is the emotionally involved person should do?

This ETERNAL MYSTERY OF THE UNIVERSE as to why people who are emotionally involved think emotionally rather than logically is a mysterious enigmatic mystery that is a constant puzzler.

What’s up with that, anyway?

last edited at Jun 25, 2019 10:38PM

^ God I love this show.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I'm not discounting the possibility, although it seems a little out there. But that would still not justify Nene's behaviour. It would only explain it.

It's not like I can't see Nene being misunderstood or pitiable. I may even grow to like her by the end of the manga, who knows? After all, many well written characters have done contemptible stuff.
All I am trying to say is that you don't need to know a character's backstory or be "manipulated" by the author to see that these were cruel actions. There is no need to revise that statement or those impressions, because they are unrelated to the future information.

This is not a case where we see a character kill someone and then later find out it was actually self-defense or something. Unless there was a literal threat on Nene or Amane's life if she didn't act like a collossal bitch there, I don't believe we have to reconsider.

Icon3
joined Dec 17, 2017

Interesting read. Let me predict the forum reaction:

Nene will be utterly demonized, and people will outright ignore the toxic stuff other people keep piling on her in the manga, which certainly could never harm anyone or cause self loathing.Naaah!

The Sempai, on the other hand, whose nasty manipulations are text will be barely mentioned, even when she is directly responsible for the attitudes of multiple characters, and their pain.

Poor Nene, poor Amane. That Sempai needs to be dunked into the next river, head first.

[Also, err, since when are you only allowed to break-up with people after giving mountains of reasons`? Sometimes people don't work out. Saying so is not a crime. Holy Maria-sama Watching Tie Adjustments, people.]

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:51AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

[Also, err, since when are you only allowed to break-up with people after giving mountains of reasons`? Sometimes people don't work out. Saying so is not a crime. Holy Maria-sama Watching Tie Adjustments, people.]

It's not that you have to give a reason, people are just trying to explain why Amane can't let go of Nene

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

So you read that part of the comments (wrongly), but not the actual context?
Nobody is saying Nene has to keep being in a relationship with Amane. The point is that she was clearly hiding something/lying. And that just breaking up without giving reasons (especially when it's an obvious excuse) is just shitty in general.

joined Jul 26, 2016

To add to what Buggy pointed out I'd reiterate that if you've concluded the relationship ain't working out for you then the decent thing to do is to break up properly - not leave the bewildered other party hanging in a limbo and emotionally abuse them for le shitz und giggles while you're at it.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

To add to what Buggy pointed out I'd reiterate that if you've concluded the relationship ain't working out for you then the decent thing to do is to break up properly - not leave the bewildered other party hanging in a limbo and emotionally abuse them for le shitz und giggles while you're at it.

If you leaving the no excuses factor (I know it's a big factor but for the sake of the argument i will leave it aside), you have someone who doesn't want to let go and someone who move on but the one who don't want to let go still trying to hit on the other, it will piss off most of peoples and they will try d*ck moves to make them stop. I don't accept the emotional abuse but it's mostly due to Amane who can't let go.

Of course if Nene had given a justification to Amane then Nene d*ck moves will seem less "d*ck" but still bad, but shehave not so it feel just like Nene is a total d*ck

joined Jul 26, 2016

If you leaving the no excuses factor (I know it's a big factor but for the sake of the argument i will leave it aside), you have someone who doesn't want to let go and someone who move on but the one who don't want to let go still trying to hit on the other, it will piss off most of peoples and they will try d*ck moves to make them stop. I don't accept the emotional abuse but it's mostly due to Amane who can't let go.

Of course if Nene had given a justification to Amane then Nene d*ck moves will seem less "d*ck" but still bad, but shehave not so it feel just like Nene is a total d*ck

Bullshit. If Nene just wanted to get Amane off her case flat out stonewalling her and cutting contact should do the trick. (I've personally done that with a tiresomely admiring coworker, for the record.) Instead she basically strings her along and -pay attention because this is the key point- goes out of her way to be hurtful and nasty knowing full well the other party is still blindly smitten enough to just meekly take it.

That's behaviour neither acceptable nor excusable but certainly an extremely effective narrative tool for making Nene look like an utter cuntbucket. Too effective, probably, if the audience is supposed to start viewing her in a more positive light somewhere down the road...

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Some people kind of forgetting that Nene behavior hurting not only Amane but Kou too. Like, she dragged Kou without her knowing in this cafe to show off. Yes, to Amane’s workplace, when she working. And then just cut her conversation with Amane and leave Amane crying alone. What Kou feels about it? Is it ok to do this to Kou whom Nene clamed to love? And I want to know what author want to say with this story, but it’s doesn’t change the fact that her actions has been unnecessary cruel.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 7:20AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Bullshit. If Nene just wanted to get Amane off her case flat out stonewalling her and cutting contact should do the trick. (I've personally done that with a tiresomely admiring coworker, for the record.) Instead she basically strings her along and -pay attention because this is the key point- goes out of her way to be hurtful and nasty knowing full well the other party is still blindly smitten enough to just meekly take it.

That's behaviour neither acceptable nor excusable but certainly an extremely effective narrative tool for making Nene look like an utter cuntbucket. Too effective, probably, if the audience is supposed to start viewing her in a more positive light somewhere down the road...

I mean, the whole point is that Nene can't really put Amane out of her head probably because of something out of Amane's control and so instead of trying to find the courage to cut the ties herself, Nene try to make Amane cutting the ties herself instead.

For the moment i don't think the point is to put Nene in a more positive light because if it was then the author is doing a poor job. I think the positive light will probably come when we will find out the reason why she act like a total douche or it will never come and will find out Nene is a demon who need maidens's sadness from a broken heart to survive.

Some people kind of forgetting that Nene behavior hurting not only Amane but Kou too. Like, she dragged Kou without her knowing in this cafe to show off. Yes, to Amane’s workplace, when she working. And then just cut her conversation with Amane and leave Amane crying alone. What Kou feels about it? Is it ok to do this to Kou whom Nene clamed to love?

I don't think she really mean to hurt Kou directly. On that point i think she really love Kou because she think Kou can provide all the attention that Amane seem to lack from Nene's perpective. She is hurting Kou but it's mostly for hurting more Amane.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 7:26AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean, the whole point is that Nene can't really put Amane out of her head probably because of something out of Amane's control and so instead of trying to find the courage to cut the ties herself, Nene try to make Amane cutting the ties herself instead.

That Nene has any number of as-yet unspecified hang-ups about Amane is obvious to anyone who's been paying attention to the narrative. Doesn't make her blatantly and maliciously taking it out on the girl any less damning; indeed it could be argued that in a sense that's even worse than plain sadism would be, as the latter would at least have the marginal benefit of certain honesty of intent over making another suffer in your stead for the sake of your own insecurities...

For the moment i don't think the point is to put Nene in a more positive light because if it was then the author is doing a poor job. I think the positive light will probably come when we will find out the reason why she act like a total douche or it will never come and will find out Nene is a demon who need maidens's sadness from a broken heart to survive.

My point is rather that currently the author is doing such a stellar job casting enough shade on her character that any prospective future redemption is going to be a tall order indeed, and probably going to have some issues with plausibility and Unfortunate Implications.

To reply you must either login or sign up.