Forum › Luminous=Blue discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm not too sure about her either after the last two panels here and how well she gets along with Hayama.

Sensei was the mastermind all along.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I'm not too sure about her either after the last two panels here and how well she gets along with Hayama.

Mmm... nah... if there even is a mastermind (which I'm now sceptical if there is any), then that'd still probs be the senpai.
Yeah, if there's a Macedonia in this series, then she'd be the one in that role.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Sure most people will say because of outward circumstances or because she was forced to break up... but isn't it just jealousy? Amane is certainly cuter and praised for her cuteness. She would easily make a great model (and was apparently used as one by senpai repeatedly). So being with Amane might just fuel her complex to the point that she turned blind to the good points.

It's just ironic that she is jealous of someone who loves her so much and sees all her good points better than anyone.

Well, it's a fact that Nene is jealous of Amane's cuteness. The manga doesn't even hide it:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch04#29

So I guess being with Amane must have hurt Nene's ego a great deal. That much I can see. But just breaking up the relationship without talking about this with Amane was both pretty nasty to Amane, and also useless for Nene because she's still clearly jealous even if they're not together anymore. So breaking up didn't solve anything. At this point it's a complex, an inferiority complex. She can't help comparing herself to Amane and believing Amane is cuter and brighter than her and this vexes her to no end (as childish as this might sound, and it does sound pretty childish). So much so that she got together with the first one (other than Amane) that called her cute; she's using Kou to feel special, to feel cuter than Amane. Let me post the evidence again because people seem to forget about this page despite being, in my opinion, the single most clarifying page on Nene's behavior:

Nene should at least be honest about all this with Amane. She should stop the bitch act and just tell the truth. And ideally, she should stop comparing herself to Amane all together. Kou has the right idea here. Both Nene and Amane are the cutest when they're together (this is what Kou saw in the first picture she took) so there's no reason for Nene to feel inferior (in cuteness) to Amane.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 12:40PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It's just ironic that she is jealous of someone who loves her so much and sees all her good points better than anyone.

Well, it's a fact that Nene is jealous of Amane's cuteness. The manga doesn't even hide it:

This entire thing is just really strange when put into juxtaposition with this page:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch05#7

This would imply that at some point Nene was happy about Amane being the cutest (which would make sense for your girlfriend). But the contrast is so stark that I'm starting to wonder if Amane's memories are even reliable.
It truly seems like girlfriend Nene and present Nene are two different people. Which suggests there was a breaking point.

She told Amane at the beach that she has no interest in romance right now (possibly because she wants to focus on modeling).
And during the graduation where she broke up she said things like "It's not about love or hate, I'm not a kid anymore. I can't do this anymore." or "I can't keep pretedning to be going out with you during high school."

Was she pretedning the entire time? Does she really not have an interest in romance? It almost seems like the reason is something typical like "We are both girls, so this is just playing around and has no future", but then why would she go out with Kou? Then would that mean she truly only used Kou for this nonsense?

I thought a re-read would make it clearer, but it only made it worse.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Was she pretedning the entire time? Does she really not have an interest in romance? It almost seems like the reason is something typical like "We are both girls, so this is just playing around and has no future", but then why would she go out with Kou? Then would that mean she truly only used Kou for this nonsense?

I don't think she was pretending in her relationship with Amane because Kou doesn't think so. Kou sees through her picture that there is a bond between Nene and Amane which is alive even to this day, and Kou is the protagonist so her point of view carries some weight.

I do think Nene is just using Kou to feel special and cuter than Amane. I don't think she loves her. What she loves is that she gets attention from Kou.

I do agree that there was a breaking point, probably right before graduation, when Nene had a huge change of heart. Before that point, she could deal with Amane being cuter, even be happy about it. After that point, she couldn't deal with it anymore. If you ask me, Senpai did something, or told something to Nene and that was the trigger for this change of heart.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 12:51PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Mmm... nah... if there even is a mastermind (which I'm now sceptical if there is any), then that'd still probs be the senpai.
Yeah, if there's a Macedonia in this series, then she'd be the one in that role.

I need to brush up my sense of irony it seem

This entire thing is just really strange when put into juxtaposition with this page:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch05#7

I can back you up on that one https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch04#17 , here we have present Nene who seem to be serious and tell Kou to use an only Amane picture because she thought she(Nene) is not cute but here she doesn't seem to want to trick Kou by making her saying she was more cuter than Amane.

If you ask me, Senpai did something, or told something to Nene and that was the trigger for this change of heart.

But Nene was not aware that Amane talk about their relation to Senpai, she only know Senpai was Amane's childhood friend.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 12:53PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I can back you up on that one https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch04#17 , here we have present Nene who seem to be serious and tell Kou to use an only Amane picture because she thought she(Nene) is not cute but here she doesn't seem to want to trick Kou by making her saying she was more cuter than her.

That still contradicts the page BugDevil posted. In the page he posted Nene was happy about Amane being cute. In the page you posted she's clearly bothered that Amane is cuter than her.

But Nene was not aware that Amane talk about their relation to Senpai, she only know Senpai was Amane's childhood friend.

Nene didn't have to be aware that Senpai knew about their relationship for this to make sense though. Senpai could pretend she didn't know and still do or say something that somehow made Nene have a change of heart.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 12:58PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I said some time back that we’d soon need more explicit insight into Nene’s full motivations in order to make sense of the story going forward, and it seems we’ve reached a point where it’s not entirely clear if the author actually intends for things to be quite so ambiguous or not. i.e., the My Unrequited Love Syndrome.

It’s obvious that Nene isn’t being completely forthright about herself and her feelings, but in regard to exactly what and to what degree is very hard to say with the limited information we’ve been given.

So pretty much every interpretation and ethical/moral evaluation of the main characters put forth so far is at best tentative because we lack basic information about the fundamental situation.

Pretty sure senpai just being a shitty person, though.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That still contradicts the page BugDevil posted. In the page he posted Nene was happy about Amane being cute. In the page you posted she's clearly bothered that Amane is cuter than her.

Then she would have ask to Kou to enter with a picture of her alone not of Amane alone if she was really bothered

Nene didn't have to be aware that Senpai knew about their relationship for this to make sense though.

At least a little bit because i think she will have been troubled that the childhood friend of her GF told her to break up if the childhood wasn't aware of their relation.

Pretty sure senpai just being a shitty person, though.

When you want to take pictures of someone only when she is crying because she is beautiful when she cry then yes you're pretty shitty.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:03PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't think she was pretending in her relationship with Amane because Kou doesn't think so. Kou sees through her picture that there is a bond between Nene and Amane which is alive even to this day, and Kou is the protagonist so her point of view carries some weight.

I'm absolutely aware that narratively its implied and desired that Kou solves this issue and that they are actually compatible and were both in love.

I'm just wondering how this contradictory evidence fits the narrative direction. If we take what we've seen at face value, Nene's intentions can be questioned from dozens of angles. I'm not saying she didn't love Amane, I believe she truly did. It's more that she might have told herself that it was all make-believe. Most likely after the breaking point.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Then she would have ask to Kou to enter with a picture of her alone not of Amane alone if she was really bothered

At that point Nene was trying to deny what she really feels, so she wouldn't impose on Kou like that. She even tells Kou she's not bothered that she's not seen as cute, which is obviously not true. It bothers her a great deal.

At least a little bit because i think she will have been troubled that the childhood friend of her GF told her to break up if the childhood wasn't aware of their relation.

I don't think she told her to break up. Senpai is a schemer. She wouldn't do something that direct. I think she played it subtly and told her something that indirectly made her have a change of heart.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:16PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

At that point Nene was trying to deny what she really feels so she wouldn't impose on Kou.

Pretty ironic considering last chapter.

Also i've still something on my mind. They're second years right ?So they only have 1 year less than Senpai. I ask that because if it's the case, that mean the start of 3rd yeah middle school is when Senpai goes to high school and probably influence Nene one way or the other.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And here I still find more things to be confused about!
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#29

Everyone had a similar surface gut reaction to this page, but there is just so much off about it. First of all was Nene jealous or just annoyed?
If she was jealous... of whom and what? No seriously, hear me out.

1. She could be jealous of Kou "flirting" with another girl and not paying attention to her after this big power play (especially bad because its Amane)
  2. But maybe... she is actually irritated that Kou would pay more attention to Amane for the opposite reason. What if she can't stand the thought that Amane and Kou get along better than she and Amane do? This could be the tiniest flash of jealousy for her ex.
  3. The word "cute" has literally been cut off. Nene might have been jealous of the fact that Kou would call Amane cute on their date. That she would dare to look at anyone else. Not because they're going out, but because of her complex.

In a way, it almost felt like her attempt to hurt Amane here backfired.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Pretty ironic considering last chapter.

It's not ironic. As she and Kou got closer, she got more imposing and pushy, and her real feelings (like being jealous of Amane's cuteness) started to become more clear.

Also i've still something on my mind. They're second years right ?So they only have 1 year less than Senpai. I ask that because if it's the case, that mean the start of 3rd yeah middle school is when Senpai goes to high school and probably influence Nene one way or the other.

According to Amame, Nene started acting cold when they started their third year, which is about the same time Senpai graduated. If we take this as face value, we can assume before Senpai graduated she said something to Nene which made Nene start acting cold.

In any case, the same day Nene broke up with Amane, Amane went to Senpai's place and cried all day, and Senpai took the "sad Amane" picture that won her the contest.

So it all fits together, and I'm pretty sure that Senpai was the culprit, since she was the one who profited off all this.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:45PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

According to Amame, Nene was happy and in love with her right until graduation.

Pretty sure Amane said Nene suddendly acting cold when they start 3rd year and break the day of the graduation.

Can someone explain which us Nene mean here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#9 and why did she witch to me 3 pages after https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#12 ?

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014
  1. The word "cute" has literally been cut off. Nene might have been jealous of the fact that Kou would call Amane cute on their date. That she would dare to look at anyone else. Not because they're going out, but because of her complex.

Nene got together with Kou to feel cuter than Amane in the first place, so Kou calling Amane cute defeats the purpose.

In a way, it almost felt like her attempt to hurt Amane here backfired.

Indeed.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Pretty sure Amane said Nene suddendly acting cold when they start 3rd year and break the day of the graduation.

You're right. So whatever Senpai did or say, she did so when she graduated which is when Nene and Amane started their third year.

Can someone explain which us Nene mean here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#9

Nene wants to say just "me" but she cuts herself short and says "us" (as in Nene and Amane) instead. She's not being honest though. She really wants to say just "me."

and why did she witch to me 3 pages after https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch07#12 ?

Because here she finally dropped the facade.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:42PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Because here she finally dropped the facade.
That's a huge shift in like 10s because at first i thought she said Us like Kou and her not Amane and her.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

That's a huge shift in like 10s because at first i thought she said Us like Kou and her not Amane and her.

Nene said:

So you're done taking pictures of m- of us?

At first she's about to say, "so you're done taking pictures of me" but then she changed to "us" (Nene and Amane) because she's no ready yet to reveal she wants Kou to only takes pictures of her.

Then she musters her determination and drops the facade all together. Yes, it's a huge shift, but you see it coming all the same.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 1:50PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

But why did Nene act like that for the photos in chapter 1 then ? She seem to be happy and lovey with Amane back then, That's strange she act like that when rest of the time she try her hardest to make Amane hate her.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

But why did Nene act like that for the photos in chapter 1 then ? She seem to be happy and lovey with Amane back then, That's strange she act like that when rest of the time she try her hardest to make Amane hate her.

Because very deep down she probably still loves Amane. She doesn't hate her, she's just jealous of her cuteness.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 2:02PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

BTW, I guess another option for Nene's change of heart could be that Nene maybe got her modelling gig at the start of her third year, and her manager constantly saying she's not cute eventually got to her over the year. On top of that maybe someone commented at some point "Amane looks so cute" or some shit like that and Nene started to compare herself to Amane and it snowballed into a full-blown inferiority complex until Nene couldn't deal with it anymore.

That's possible too I guess. It's not as fun as Senpai having a hand on it, but the result is the same. Nene ended up almost pathologically jealous of Amane's cuteness.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 2:05PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I would say at this point that the harder emphasis we put on any one aspect of Nene’s behavior or her motivations, the more other elements don’t quite fit in.

(Kou and Amane I take more or less at face value; Senpai, Sensei, and Ice Queen Manager remain to be fully seen.)*

There can be hypothetical ways to reconcile the apparent contradictions and tensions in the story up to this point, but insofar as the hypotheses are based in evidence from the text, one guess is nearly as good as another.

*The lizard remains as ever the wild card.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

The fact Nene is jealous / envious of Amane's cuteness is pretty well confirmed at this point, I think. What needs explanation is "why" she ended up feeling that way. Generally you want your romantic partner to be as cute and attractive as possible; it's not exactly normal to grow jealous of their attributes. So why and how Amane ended up feeling that way definitely calls for some explanation.

We'll have to wait and see.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 2:33PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The fact Nene is jealous / envious of Amane's cuteness is pretty well confirmed at this point, I think. What needs explanation is "why" she ended up feeling that way. Generally you want your romantic partner to be as cute and attractive as possible; it's not exactly normal to grow jealous of their attributes. So why and how Amane ended up feeling that way definitely calls for some explanation.

We'll have to wait and see.

I guess I’d put it that the more personal and emotionally intense Nene’s reason for the breakup (whatever it might be), the less her agreement to “stay friends” with Amane makes sense.

If, on the other hand, the breakup is motivated by romantic indifference (as she claims) or by some external factor (one of the lurking villains), then the cruelty of her responses to Amane seems disproportionate.

And, as has been pointed out, that cruelty is at odds with her apparent pleasure with and what looks very much like affection for Amane in the early photo-shoot and beach scenes. Etc.

Again, there are potential explanations for all this, but (assuming it’s not just erratic storytelling, which at this point I do not think it is) the longer it takes for us to get that understanding the more unstable and inconsistent Nene looks as a character.

To reply you must either login or sign up.