Forum › Us, the end of the world, and the rest of our life discussion

Futaribeya
joined Dec 8, 2018

If the author was Nagashiro Rouge, it would end with science babies and in a few centuries, a world filled with lesbians.

This kind of oneshot always make me wish for a sequel, but maybe is better without one because it would make it even sadder.

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I don't understand the ending...

last edited at May 29, 2019 1:54AM

joined Feb 22, 2018

Maybe it still to early to assuming something,,, are they really the only left person on earth ? I dont know.,,

This could just be two hikikomori living out their lives in a virtual reality simulation. In fact this scenario is almost ideal for someone with melancholia.

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I can honestly say that I never, never ever, read a "cosy catastrophe" story where the MCs are so damn happy to be by themselves, with no other humans around, that they need to shout it to the sky every two pages.

Really, girls, I understand your feelings: better a peaceful, cosy world all for the two of you than a post-apocalyptic dystopia with hordes of zombies that relentlessly hunt the few uninfected humans who still remain, or a radioactive wasteland ruled by gangs of bikers who enslave and rape women and fight bloody wars for turf, gasoline and water...

... but, hey, speaking in the name of the vanished mankind, I must say it's chotto samui that you are SO glad that we are all gone. ¯⧹_(ツ)_⧸¯

The reason they are shouting to the sky that being the last people alive in a dead world is a good thing is because they are trying to convince themselves it's true. There is a real dissonance between the tone, setting and reality of what they face and their words and demeanor. In the last couple of pages we see our MC waking up with tears in her eyes with a bottle of pills and a photo of her dead loved ones next to her. She briefly pauses to orientate herself and then mentally prepares to put on her game face for another day with the only other human being she will ever know.

This story is bittersweet in that it shows us two people in an unbelievably bad situation, having lost everything that meant anything to them, finding solace and comfort in each other. There is a sort of sad beauty in trying to put on a brave face and continue living in the face of such loss.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Oof :(

joined Jan 10, 2017

Sci-fi should be some sort of technology affecting a possible future way of life. This manga is bereft of science and borders on a “Rapture” condition mentioned in Revelations book— hence it should be “supernatural”-tagged.

It is a good story, although somewhat depressing.

Eh, science fiction isn't so limited. It's about ideas, what-ifs. This what if is "what if humanity suddenly disappeared for no discernible reason".

The problem is more the fact that the story doesn't really to much to explore the premise.

Insignificant
6bf226425af0
joined Dec 5, 2016

There's a picture frame with two people and one kid at page 24, and pills, I'll just assume it's antidepressants. I wonder who is it on that pic. She and her parents? She and her lover Rii and their kid(science or adopted, that doesn't really matter)? Or, if you want to make the story really bitter, it's her vanished husband and their kid, and she with Rii only because she has no other choice.

last edited at May 29, 2019 8:39AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I can't quite make out if the second panel on page 24 represents a life-as-usual street scene, but my interpretation is that she wakes up in the regular world and that she's been having dreams like this since the loss of her family or something like that.

Sci-fi should be some sort of technology affecting a possible future way of life. This manga is bereft of science and borders on a “Rapture” condition mentioned in Revelations book— hence it should be “supernatural”-tagged.

It is a good story, although somewhat depressing.

Eh, science fiction isn't so limited. It's about ideas, what-ifs.

Eh, non-science fiction isn't so limited. It's also about ideas, what-ifs.

last edited at May 29, 2019 6:32AM

joined May 29, 2019

It's neat how the MC waking up at the end bookends the other character initially waking up late in her room. Definitely suffering going on there, and possibly shows when one is having a bad start to the day the other's there to keep them going hopefully.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

She just have a headache, I don't understand the "going insane" scenario every time.. there's people who survive living alone in the countryside, or with only their family, they have each other and they have animals too.

Akarin%20idk
joined Jan 2, 2017

She just have a headache, I don't understand the "going insane" scenario every time.. there's people who survive living alone in the countryside, or with only their family, they have each other and they have animals too.

It's one thing to live a quiet life in the country. You still have the knowledge that your family and friends are alive and hopefully happy somewhere. It's quite another when everyone you know is dead for a reason you don't even know. That's harrowing. Not to mention that the one person left with you, who you love, might vanish the same way.

Only slightly related, but besides having pills (antidepressants?) on the window sill, Acchan was both more excited over the booze and she went for it more/more quickly. I'm not going to scream "addict!" or something, but these are just additional hints that Acchan probably isn't coping as well as she'd admit to (like she earned like she was trying to with the "I'm so happy" narration in the end)

last edited at May 29, 2019 9:38AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Post-apoc yuri ftw.

dark shit

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

OK someone has to ask: maybe Acchan is a lone survivor and Rii her imaginary friend/lover?

Reasons for suspecting this:
*hallucinate about this is so cliched in post-apoc Japanese fiction, you see it everywhere
*the one time Rii has to do something Acchan can't help her with (the falling boxes at the s.m.) she fatally fails to interact with the environment (and the boxes fall)
*in the morning Acchan wakes up alone in her bed, and it takes some time for Rii to appear
*minor detail: the bottles of pills

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Awesome. Never thought of this kind of yuri scenario. It's very interesting and I did enjoy it. The last panels seem'd strange but I think it's because of the thought she has that: "What if I wake up and she doesn't come.. or just disappeared." because she said that she's okay until Rii entered her room. (Or it's maybe depression or something random that no one would expect and she's just that type of person who hasn't the right mood after she wakes up.)

Acchan was just waking up, and remembering people from the past I think. It shows the picture frame that is toppled over, near some pill bottles(?) and one that clearly has several people. She's waking up, seeing that same old ceiling (light), and realizing her reality again; hence the tearing up. But then Rii pops in and reminds her that she hasn't lost everything completely.

Or that version. I like to think that. Mmm.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

This reminds me to that Kim Possible fanfiction, "Alone Together". I think that was the one that got me into KIGO. Except that Kim and Shego were send to an alternate universe where all people vanished at that same instant.

Back to this one, the ending got me really worried. Multiple bad endings passed thought my head. She really alone and hallucinating, Rii vanishing like the others...
When Rii appeared I felt like dodging a bullet.

joined Jul 23, 2017

Rii Will always love being with Acchan but acchan has different point of view of what's going to happen to them in the future. It's kinda sad at end because of her expression.

joined Jul 23, 2017

What do you guys mean by bittersweet ending?

joined Jul 23, 2017

Awesome. Never thought of this kind of yuri scenario. It's very interesting and I did enjoy it. The last panels seem'd strange but I think it's because of the thought she has that: "What if I wake up and she doesn't come.. or just disappeared." because she said that she's okay until Rii entered her room. (Or it's maybe depression or something random that no one would expect and she's just that type of person who hasn't the right mood after she wakes up.)

Acchan was just waking up, and remembering people from the past I think. It shows the picture frame that is toppled over, near some pill bottles(?) and one that clearly has several people. She's waking up, seeing that same old ceiling (light), and realizing her reality again; hence the tearing up. But then Rii pops in and reminds her that she hasn't lost everything completely.

Or that version. I like to think that. Mmm.

I like your ideas you both ( ´︶`)

joined Jul 23, 2017

That's what i was also thinking, of course the two of them cant stop worrying of what will happen if the other disappears first you know that sad feeling of worrying ( p′︵‵。)

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Hum... so "End of humanity" = "End of the world"?. I'm pretty sure it's different because humans aren't the world.

End of the human world.

Just say it end of humanity. the "Human world" doesn't exist.

This just seems like a semantic argument. It is the end of the world as we, and by extension the characters who happen to be human, know it.

Akarin%20idk
joined Jan 2, 2017

This reminds me to that Kim Possible fanfiction, "Alone Together". I think that was the one that got me into KIGO. Except that Kim and Shego were send to an alternate universe where all people vanished at that same instant.

That's exactly what I thought of when I read this. Kinda made me want to go back and read "Alone, Together" again.

Images
joined Dec 25, 2018

I would love a series like this.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Ah this was wonderful. How good are these end of the world so let's Yuri stories? One of my favs was similar, the girls dont speak the same language but manage to love each other plus it ends with science babies... can't rember the name but anyone here can find it cos tags heheh

Images
joined Dec 25, 2018

Ah this was wonderful. How good are these end of the world so let's Yuri stories? One of my favs was similar, the girls dont speak the same language but manage to love each other plus it ends with science babies... can't rember the name but anyone here can find it cos tags heheh

Somone PLEASE find this and link it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.