Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just to make sure that the historical record is as clear as possible, I adore Koyomi and want only the best for her. Doujima, though he has redeemed himself to a certain extent from utter uselessness, is not, in my humble opinion, the best.

That would be Renma-sensei.

The Bloom Into You thread in any case has always been pretentious af

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bloom Into You . The romance is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of romantic feelings most of the flirtations will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Yuu's idealistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation - her personal philosophy draws heavily from romance literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these feelings, to realize that they're not just superficial - they say something deep about LOVE. As a consequence people who dislike Bloom Into You truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the frustration in Yuu's existencial catchphrase "You're unfair," I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Nakatani-Sensei's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Bloom Into You tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bloom Into You . The romance is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of romantic feelings most of the flirtations will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Yuu's idealistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation - her personal philosophy draws heavily from romance literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these feelings, to realize that they're not just superficial - they say something deep about LOVE. As a consequence people who dislike Bloom Into You truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the frustration in Yuu's existencial catchphrase "You're unfair," I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Nakatani-Sensei's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Bloom Into You tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Did you really just fucking turn this into the yuri version of that fucking Rick & Morty meme?!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Doujima was never a bad dude and it's obvious that he is paired up with Akari.
I didn't think this was one of the subtle parts of this story...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Doujima was never a bad dude and it's obvious that he is paired up with Akari.
I didn't think this was one of the subtle parts of this story...

As I mentioned before, nobody in the story is actually a bad person (to my great relief in this case); even when people have significant foibles they’re very human and generally excusable ones.

So Doujima is a bit of a goofball and mildly sexist, which is to say he’s a (perhaps slightly better than average) het high-school boy, which seems to be right up Akari’s alley.

That said, when putting all the characters in the series on a scale of virtue/usefulness, Doujima probably ranks above Sayaka’s ex, and the lazy former student-council president, and Oogaki-kun (he had reason to lie, but he did lie and hurt Akari) and maybe somebody I’m not remembering.

But not much higher.

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Which former StuCo pres? Mio (Touko's sister)? Or Doujima's senpai from the kendo club?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

That said, when putting all the characters in the series on a scale of virtue/usefulness, Doujima probably ranks above Sayaka’s ex, and the lazy former student-council president, and Oogaki-kun (he had reason to lie, but he did lie and hurt Akari) and maybe somebody I’m not remembering.

But not much higher.

Not saying much with a cast this small and Doujima never getting any focus.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Which former StuCo pres? Mio (Touko's sister)? Or Doujima's senpai from the kendo club?

The senpai (who seems to have left all the work to Touko and Sayaka).

Of course, on the merits Mio doesn't make the top rank herself (getting the StuCo to do your homework is not OK, although they didn't seem to mind all that much).

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ninzin posted:

Thank you! I thought I was alone.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Spitting straight fire! The truth tho. It had to be said

joined May 6, 2019

That was beautifully done. Crying Yuu is cute.
I am just confused about something: why did Yuu look disappointed and called Touko unfair for experiencing the love she wanted? Going by her speech after that remark, Yuu seemed to be talking about how her love was born and started (gradually and due to her choices), but she finally fulfilled her wish of falling in love, she's been in love for a while and hers and Touko's feelings are the same, so imo it's very trivial to be disappointed on how the "love process" was not what she expected, because nonetheless she is still in love now.
Perhaps she was not being serious when she said that and it was meant to said in a jokingly manner? But Nakatani-sensei is very careful with the way she writes and includes scenes so that may not be the case.

last edited at May 6, 2019 6:13PM

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bloom Into You .

Not really.

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

But I wouldn't be surprised if this entire thing was sarcasm lol In which case, well done.

joined Oct 22, 2018

@matsuri_wins
Just how I described in a comment on the top of this page, that comment of Ninzin's was a play on a dead meme.

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Did you really just fucking turn this into the yuri version of that fucking Rick & Morty meme?!

What's Rick and Morty? Don't you mean Doc and Mharti?

last edited at May 7, 2019 1:01AM

Touko%20avatar
joined Jan 20, 2019

That was beautifully done. Crying Yuu is cute.
I am just confused about something: why did Yuu look disappointed and called Touko unfair for experiencing the love she wanted? Going by her speech after that remark, Yuu seemed to be talking about how her love was born and started (gradually and due to her choices), but she finally fulfilled her wish of falling in love, she's been in love for a while and hers and Touko's feelings are the same, so imo it's very trivial to be disappointed on how the "love process" was not what she expected, because nonetheless she is still in love now.
Perhaps she was not being serious when she said that and it was meant to said in a jokingly manner? But Nakatani-sensei is very careful with the way she writes and includes scenes so that may not be the case.

Maybe because she still really has not experienced those very strong feelings that she dreamed of? Because at first she was falling in love, then restrained, and then Touko took herself away from her altogether. She always had a stripped-down version of love, she just had not yet had a chance to experience that same love, full of reciprocity and the possibility of expressing her own feelings. She's wanted to love and show her love, but she didn’t have the opportunity for it. But now it has. And it seems to me that soon she will really experience what she has dreamed of.

last edited at May 7, 2019 3:22AM

joined Feb 18, 2015

Yuu comes to grips with the fact that she's demiromantic and she's never going to have one of those "love at first sight fireworks" moments, though she can have plenty of fireworks with her lover now that they are together...

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Maybe because she still really has not experienced those very strong feelings that she dreamed of? Because at first she was falling in love, then restrained, and then Touko took herself away from her altogether. She always had a stripped-down version of love, she just had not yet had a chance to experience that same love, full of reciprocity and the possibility of expressing her own feelings. She's wanted to love and show her love, but she didn’t have the opportunity for it. But now it has. And it seems to me that soon she will really experience what she has dreamed of.

Yuu explicitly explains this right after she makes that comment. She always wanted to be swept off her feet, but that's not what happened. Touko got that. Touko fell hard and fast. Yuu had to take flight the long way, by building a relationship of respect, affection, and ultimately love by deciding that person was important to her. They're both in the same place, but Touko got there the easy way, Yuu had to work for it.

Hence, unfair.

I wouldn't say Yuu was really disappointed, though. I'd refer to it more as mild annoyance.

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

for instance, the frustration in Yuu's existencial catchphrase "You're unfair,"

this was the funniest shit

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Yuu comes to grips with the fact that she's demiromantic and she's never going to have one of those "love at first sight fireworks" moments, though she can have plenty of fireworks with her lover now that they are together...

Yuu isn't demiromantic or anything like that. She's just a girl with an over-idealized view of romance. Most people don't have super passionate romances anyway. That's a thing of shoujo manga, and let's not forget this story starts by showing the audience Yuu is an avid reader of shoujo manga and romance literature.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch01#5
That's the context that informs Yuu's issues and should never be forgotten as it colors Yuu's every actions and thoughts during the course of the story.

When Touko rejected her, Yuu felt like shit but she tried to deny it. It's all about denial with Yuu. Her problem was never that she couldn't fall in love. She could and did fall in love with Touko very early on (maybe even at first sight considering her immediate reaction after meeting Touko, before Touko starting putting the moves on her). The problem was that she couldn't admit it because it wasn't the rose-colored over-passionate kinda romance she had read about in manga and novels. It was something much more down to earth. And when she did start feeling a bit of that passionate romance, Touko ran away. In order to bear the pain, Yuu told herself she didn't understand love after all. But Maki saw through her lie. Yuu did understood love and felt it. The pain itself was the proof.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch39#14

Maki is aromantic. Yuu is just an ordinary girl with unrealistic expectations and a nasty habit of denying her own feelings.

last edited at May 8, 2019 5:56PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

Yuu isn't demiromantic or anything like that. She's just a girl with an over-idealized view of romance. Most people don't have super passionate romances anyway. That's a thing of shoujo manga, and let's not forget this story starts by showing the audience Yuu is an avid reader of shoujo manga and romance literature.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch01#5
That's the context that informs Yuu's issues and should never be forgotten as it colors Yuu's every actions and thoughts during the course of the story.

When Touko rejected her, Yuu felt like shit but she tried to deny it. It's all about denial with Yuu. Her problem was never that she couldn't fall in love. She could and did fall in love with Touko very early on (maybe even at first sight considering her immediate reaction after meeting Touko, before Touko starting putting the moves on her). The problem was that she couldn't admit it because it wasn't the rose-colored over-passionate kinda romance she had read about in manga and novels. It was something much more down to earth. And when she did start feeling a bit of that passionate romance, Touko ran away. In order to bear the pain, Yuu told herself she didn't understand love after all. But Maki saw through her lie. Yuu did understood love and felt it. The pain itself was the proof.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch39#14

Maki is aromantic. Yuu is just an ordinary girl with unrealistic expectations and a nasty habit of denying her own feelings.

I mostly agree with what you said, but I don't think Yuu fell in love at first sight. She was just impressed with Touko's beauty since she is supposed to be very hot in-universe. Yuu wanted to fall in love at first sight, as she stated in chapter 40-, but it never happened that way for her. She fell in love due to her choices, she was commited to Touko even before she fell in love with her, first when she joined the Student Council to support her (chapter 5), then because she saw in Touko a chance to fall in love (chapter 10). Through the story, especially during the first 3 volumes, Yuu spends a lot of time with Touko and starts to enjoy being loved, while at the same time gradually starts to fall in love with her, until her feelings become much stronger in chapter 16, where it can be said she fell in love in a deeper, true sense. And that's how her love happened, by being commited to Touko and choosing her, in a gradual way. Sayaka, on the other hand, ended up having the love Yuu wished for- a big feeling out of the blue, as soon as she saw Touko- a love at first sight. Yuu's love fits her personality, dedicated in what she decides to do, eventually her feelings bloomed (good reference to the process of a flower blooming too). Touko's change on her view of love also took a long time.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I mostly agree with what you said, but I don't think Yuu fell in love at first sight. She was just impressed with Touko's beauty since she is supposed to be very hot in-universe. Yuu wanted to fall in love at first sight, as she stated in chapter 40-

You mean this?
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch40#24
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch40#25

I think this is just a rationalization from her part. I don't think it's true. Maki could tell very early on (before chapter 10 if I remember correctly) that Yuu had feelings for Touko.

Chapter 40 shows an improvement since Yuu at least can admit she's in love "now." But I think it also shows she still hasn't resolved her denial entirely. The truth is she was attracted to Touko since the beginning. Maybe that's why the manga didn't end in this volume. It will probably take one more volume for Yuu to complete her character development and fully overcome her denial and admit she has actually been experiencing that passionate romance she always longed for without even realizing it. That's my take at least.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The Vol 7 bonus is up in mangadex but from another group so if you want to check it out, check over there xP is nice

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The Vol 7 bonus is up in mangadex but from another group so if you want to check it out, check over there xP is nice

A certain segment of the readerSHIP is going to go apeshit.

Also, the return of the leaf of Luv.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

So it's basically confirmed that Midori and Manaka are secretly married right?

To reply you must either login or sign up.