Forum › Fukakai na Boku no Subete o discussion

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Actually, the drawing style doesn't help here: it's pure moe and does a disservice to the seriousness of the theme. I can't take the characters seriously when they act all cute and >.< , say "nya" and go "kyaa" on frilly clothes.

No offense, but it's a bit odd coming from someone called "Nya-chan". I personally will say that if my manga about a bunch of sexual minorities can't be moe, then it can go pack it's bags and move to America or something. Part of the reason I like manga is because they draw the characters cutely, I used to read American comics but a lot of "serious" ones turn me off because, frankly, I find the art style ugly and the people seem to be drawn specifically to be UNattractive.

Tezuka drew cartoony characters in manga that are masterworks of world literature by any standard worth upholding. My two favorite manga probably, Koi Kaze and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, both have very cute characters yet handle themes as serious as anything.

If my manga transgender/cross dressing/non-binary/queer characters can't be cute and squee over cute clothes, have teenage drama, love affairs, and be moe while they do it, all the while taking on serious issues, then there is no point to manga and beauty and cuteness. And I will defend the justice of cuteness till I die!

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

Interesting. It's the first cis lesbian of this story. Now, that's someone I can identify with.

She ought to be the MC.

do I like the way this was phrased? I'm not sure I like the way this was phrased
feel free to read any of the many other comics on this site with cis main characters if you want

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

Really covering all your bases there author, just missing a trans boy and an asexual now

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Actually, the drawing style doesn't help here: it's pure moe and does a disservice to the seriousness of the theme. I can't take the characters seriously when they act all cute and >.< , say "nya" and go "kyaa" on frilly clothes.

No offense, but it's a bit odd coming from someone called "Nya-chan". I personally will say that if my manga about a bunch of sexual minorities can't be moe, then it can go pack it's bags and move to America or something. Part of the reason I like manga is because they draw the characters cutely, I used to read American comics but a lot of "serious" ones turn me off because, frankly, I find the art style ugly and the people seem to be drawn specifically to be UNattractive.

Tezuka drew cartoony characters in manga that are masterworks of world literature by any standard worth upholding. My two favorite manga probably, Koi Kaze and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, both have very cute characters yet handle themes as serious as anything.

If my manga transgender/cross dressing/non-binary/queer characters can't be cute and squee over cute clothes, have teenage drama, love affairs, and be moe while they do it, all the while taking on serious issues, then there is no point to manga and beauty and cuteness. And I will defend the justice of cuteness till I die!

Amen to this. I genuinely dislike the idea that a series has to have "X" art to be taken seriously. The only thing doing a disservice to the series and the seriousness of the themes here is anyone that judges something like this on a surface deep level. It comes across as shallow and insulting to the artist in my opinion.

Download20190306200016%20(1)
joined Oct 10, 2013

This manga is just amazing. I read the whole thing at once and ended up crying a couple of times, especially with that last chapter.

Sfdsfksdfsd
joined Jan 15, 2019

this is interesting, albeit a bit confusing.
i think it'd be cool if kotone finally accepted herself as a lesbian, then went on to fully accept mei as a girl, and the two started dating. or something.

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

Yuri crush? talk about misleading.

joined Jan 15, 2018

Kotone's story was sad and all, but it doesn't excuse her from pushing her own ideas and insecurities on Mogu, because she was hurt and assuming Mogu is "weird" like her, so Mogu will never find anyone as well, so only option for them is to settle for each other, since they're better off like that. All under the disguise of pretending to know better what is best for Mogu, while completely ignoring Mogu's identity and their own desires. She couldn't even not see Mogu as "just another guy" and reacted with disgust, while at the same time forcing them to "be a girl" so she can feel safe and secure with them. All she did for Mogu was self-serving and focused only on making her life better. Surly the best relationship for Mogu.

This.
But the author seems to love happy ending, so I expect admission of guilt and redemption story, and possibly new love story for Kotone.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Maybe in a place full of other LGBT+ people, Koto might feel more comfortable with herself.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Kotone's story was sad and all, but it doesn't excuse her from pushing her own ideas and insecurities on Mogu, because she was hurt and assuming Mogu is "weird" like her, so Mogu will never find anyone as well, so only option for them is to settle for each other, since they're better off like that. All under the disguise of pretending to know better what is best for Mogu, while completely ignoring Mogu's identity and their own desires. She couldn't even not see Mogu as "just another guy" and reacted with disgust, while at the same time forcing them to "be a girl" so she can feel safe and secure with them. All she did for Mogu was self-serving and focused only on making her life better. Surly the best relationship for Mogu.

This.
But the author seems to love happy ending, so I expect admission of guilt and redemption story, and possibly new love story for Kotone.

Hopefully the love story will be Mei (I don't want a new character, and it would be sweet if she fell for a trans girl)

AllosaurusJei
joined Nov 7, 2017

This.

Hopefully the love story will be Mei (I don't want a new character, and it would be sweet if she fell for a trans girl)

While that would be sweet, and a brilliantly important statement of the thesis of this manga (that people are what they are, that a person's sex doesn't define how they should present themselves and their identity and that people just need to understand and love this because it's just as human as shivering in the cold)... There's a lot of work needed to be done on that front before it'll be an acceptable thing.

This is coming from someone who is in almost exactly Mogumo's position. NB with a cis SO who has been trying their best to understand me. I know I had some deep worries regarding my best friend when she was on a similar track as Kotone is right now with Mogumo. Granted we were adults and so had a frank fight followed by tear-filled confessions of misplaced and trauma inspired homophobia and the subsequent queer dismissal that usually follows that.

What I'm saying. Seeing Kotone fall for Mei would be a delight. But just being in a cute Yuri relationship with a trans girl won't immediately solve all her problems. More unpacking needs to be done and probably some adult intervention...

joined Apr 26, 2016

Mogumo you precious angel. I can't tell tbh if the writer is trying to eventually have them become a binary girl or not. Kotone tbh should get set up with Mei but meh.

joined Jan 6, 2017

This.

While that would be sweet, and a brilliantly important statement of the thesis of this manga (that people are what they are, that a person's sex doesn't define how they should present themselves and their identity and that people just need to understand and love this because it's just as human as shivering in the cold)... There's a lot of work needed to be done on that front before it'll be an acceptable thing.

This is coming from someone who is in almost exactly Mogumo's position. NB with a cis SO who has been trying their best to understand me. I know I had some deep worries regarding my best friend when she was on a similar track as Kotone is right now with Mogumo. Granted we were adults and so had a frank fight followed by tear-filled confessions of misplaced and trauma inspired homophobia and the subsequent queer dismissal that usually follows that.

What I'm saying. Seeing Kotone fall for Mei would be a delight. But just being in a cute Yuri relationship with a trans girl won't immediately solve all her problems. More unpacking needs to be done and probably some adult intervention...

For me, her falling for Mei would require her to get over her problems (such as understanding her sexuality and coming to terms with it). Her character development could finish with her getting over Mogumo, and falling for someone else. In this case Mei would make a great candidate, since she's:
1. the only other girl in the story, and introducing another girl just to be a love interest would be stupid.
2. a trans girl, so Kotone falling for her would really show how she doesn't view Mogumo as a guy anymore.
But just because I would like her to get one doesn't really mean that it's necessary for a good character arc. The important thing though, is that the relationship comes after the character arc.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Interesting. It's the first cis lesbian of this story. Now, that's someone I can identify with.

She ought to be the MC.

You're being kinda transphobic there bud, you have a TON of other stories to choose from if you really want that

joined Oct 27, 2018

Mogumo you precious angel. I can't tell tbh if the writer is trying to eventually have them become a binary girl or not. Kotone tbh should get set up with Mei but meh.

Nah, I don't think there is any reason to believe Mogumo is suddenly gonna become a binary girl. I just think Mogu just wishes they could sound like they did before their choice deepened.

joined Apr 26, 2016

She ought to be the MC.

You're being kinda transphobic there bud, you have a TON of other stories to choose from if you really want that

I'm guessing they meant making the cis lesbian character the protagonist instead of Tetsu, a cis guy (at least I think he is)? Maybe poorly phrased but I don't think it was transphobic...

Isn't Mogumo the protag though?

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

phew... right in the feels on this newest chapter

joined Oct 27, 2018

I'm ashamed to admit that while I was contemplating whether I should read this I assumed Tetsu was the protagonist, because he's the only character on the cover who isn't josou, and he has the most generic design. I really shouldn't argue about a manga I'm not reading though.

Lol, yeah, the cover makes it look like some generic crossdressing harem, but it isn't that at all. It only actually has two crossdressers. Both of whom are shown in boys clothes pretty frequently.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I'm ashamed to admit that while I was contemplating whether I should read this I assumed Tetsu was the protagonist, because he's the only character on the cover who isn't josou, and he has the most generic design. I really shouldn't argue about a manga I'm not reading though.

Lol, yeah, the cover makes it look like some generic crossdressing harem, but it isn't that at all. It only actually has two crossdressers. Both of whom are shown in boys clothes pretty frequently.

One of whom

HAS A BOYFRIEND

joined Apr 26, 2016

He's Mogumo's boyfriend and manager but Mogumo is still the lead with most conflict centered on them

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Somehow I'd missed the last couple chapters of this, so now I'm all caught up.

Man, poor Kotone. I will always be a bleeding heart when it comes to girls like her and her situation. I grew up not understanding why I "had to" want to date boys, and was forced into some pretty devastatingly deep denial for a very long time.

But also, poor Mogumo. The one person that was always there regardless, has suddenly said and done things that are absolutely Not Okay. Even if none of it was intended, that doesn't make it hurt less.

I hope they can resolve their traumas soon, and stay friends. I hope Mogumo will be able to come away from this with a stronger sense of self-acceptance. And I hope that Kotone will be able to find a nice girl to date, because she deserves happiness just as much as anyone else in this story.

054cca77f1be90654f4f70db263a3822
joined Jun 30, 2018

Ten out here doing wild integrals

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

One of whom

HAS A BOYFRIEND

He needs more screentime.

joined Apr 26, 2016

So does Ten chan like Tetsu's sister?
Hope he does? Mei should go and bang Mogu's cis lesbian frined

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Lol I'm like ten-chan teaching IRL, I help my friends out a lot and teach them in University (for free, of course)

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 12:35AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.